Home Non Cigar Related

What are you reading?

Comments

• CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Midnight House - Alex Berenson
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 18,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Yak! Going to pay attention next time I roast some Rwandan
    Interesting, but I note that they spray with a neonic, imidacloprid. The stuff kills both the antestia bug and its natural predator insects and hurts honeybees. So they have to keep spraying.

However, the persistence of these insecticides is both a bonus for pest control and a scourge for the environment. Because neonicotinoids and fipronil are difficult to metabolize, and some of their metabolites are also toxic (Simon-Delso et al., 2015), predatory insects are also killed by secondary poisoning (Walker et al., 2007). Since the insecticides eliminate natural enemies of pests, the overall IPM strategy of scale insects in citrus crops usually fails (Grafton-Cardwell et al., 2008), rendering plant protection ineffective. Due to their persistence in tissues, senescent leaves of trees that have been treated with imidacloprid fall to the ground and impair earthworms' feeding, consequently reducing leaf decomposition (Kreutzweiser et al., 2008a). As neonicotinoid and fipronil residues stay in the soil for many months (or years even) soil biota is decimated (Peck, 2009), thus impairing the recycling of nutrients that such organisms carry out in agricultural ecosystems. In turn this reduces soil fertility, which may negatively affect crop yields.

another article:
    http://www.coffeehabitat.com/2012/01/the-potato-taint/
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Under The Bleachers, by Seymour Heinie.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    Under The Bleachers, by Seymour Heinie.
    The Yellow River by I.P. Freely

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World -- Jack Weatherford.

Based primarily on the Secret History of the Mongols, relatively recently discovered & translated.

Research for my book in progress.

Did you know that once Temujen (Headlong) had united all the people who lived between felt walls, he hosted a gathering of the united hordes near God Mountain, where he was first proclaimed Chingghis Khan (Alpha-Wolf King). It was at this gathering that he first promulgated laws to govern a people who had never known any laws, only traditions. His first law was this one: no more rape. Yep... He made it a capital crime for a man to kidnap himself a bride. That put a serious crimp on your social life. Second law was no more Mongol slavery. Third, no adultery. Fourth, no more rustling. Fifth, complete religious freedom, including priests of any sort were exempt from taxes or levy. Then, a law that no one inherited their position. Instead, advancement only came by merit.

At his lowest ebb, the guy was the slave of the slave of an enemy. His arms were tied to a yoke so that he could neither eat nor drink nor scratch his nose, nor even take a wizz. He was in a tent with a couple guards, awaiting probable execution for murdering his own brother. Escaped. But that just made things worse. Now he was lumbering across the prairie with his arms tied to a yoke, no place to hide, and horsemen chasing. But by the time he died, he was master of an empire more than twice the size of any other empire that has ever been. He did this with a people who never numbered more than a million, who had no inventions, no writing, no resources, no metal; no, not even so much as cloth. His army never exceeded a hundred thou. It would be like only a quarter of the Aztecs jumped on ponies & conquered from Alaska to Brazil.

It's mind boggling.

The last Mongol khan to rule GK's capital was finally deposed by the Soviets in 1920 -- seven hundred years years later!

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost said:
    Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World -- Jack Weatherford.

Based primarily on the Secret History of the Mongols, relatively recently discovered & translated.

Research for my book in progress.

Did you know that once Temujen (Headlong) had united all the people who lived between felt walls, he hosted a gathering of the united hordes near God Mountain, where he was first proclaimed Chingghis Khan (Alpha-Wolf King). It was at this gathering that he first promulgated laws to govern a people who had never known any laws, only traditions. His first law was this one: no more rape. Yep... He made it a capital crime for a man to kidnap himself a bride. That put a serious crimp on your social life. Second law was no more Mongol slavery. Third, no adultery. Fourth, no more rustling. Fifth, complete religious freedom, including priests of any sort were exempt from taxes or levy. Then, a law that no one inherited their position. Instead, advancement only came by merit.

At his lowest ebb, the guy was the slave of the slave of an enemy. His arms were tied to a yoke so that he could neither eat nor drink nor scratch his nose, nor even take a wizz. He was in a tent with a couple guards, awaiting probable execution for murdering his own brother. Escaped. But that just made things worse. Now he was lumbering across the prairie with his arms tied to a yoke, no place to hide, and horsemen chasing. But by the time he died, he was master of an empire more than twice the size of any other empire that has ever been. He did this with a people who never numbered more than a million, who had no inventions, no writing, no resources, no metal; no, not even so much as cloth. His army never exceeded a hundred thou. It would be like only a quarter of the Aztecs jumped on ponies & conquered from Alaska to Brazil.

It's mind boggling.

The last Mongol khan to rule GK's capital was finally deposed by the Soviets in 1920 -- seven hundred years years later!

I read that a couple years ago. Impressive!  I've bought and given away a couple copies since then.  Never seem to get them back.  Hmm.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Recently finished The Martian by Andy Weir. That may be one of the best books ever written.

Now I'm going through A Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss, courtesy of Fvcking Calvin, and Orcs by Stan Nicholls. Its a B grade action film in book form. It's dirty, cheap and enjoyable.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...

The Force of Fear: Police Stereotype Threat, Self-Legitimacy, and Support
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Origin by Dan Brown, then A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman that I highly recommend if you are or  know a curmudgeon. 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
    Black Rednecks and White Liberals

Thomas Sowell

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rereading for the 20th time Killer angels by Michael shaara. Easily the best book ever written on Gettysburg. In fact, the movie Gettysburg was based on this book.
    Don't look ↑
    Kitchen Tools For Every Chef by Hugh Tensils
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Wedding Guest by Jonathan Kellerman. 
  • Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    C406-2 Emergency Locator Beacon Installation and Operation Manual, Revision N.  
    I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
    Coffee Brewing: Wetting, Hydrolysis & Extraction Revisited

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How to boil an egg. Amazon.
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Bible
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
    14 CFR Part 65, Appendix D. 
    Studying?

NFPA 1123
    Code for Fireworks Display 
    2006 Edition 

Refreshing the knowledge base.   Question came up from an old trainee about eligibility of mechanics.  
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just ordered every book by Shapiro I could find.
    Silvermouse

In order to download this thesis, academia.edu wants me to agree that they may see and download my google contacts. What the hell why?

@webmost I didn't have to do that. 
    They know Davis is part of the resistance
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy Ghost by John Sandford  a Virgil Flowers novel. Nice read.
  • Significant3Significant3 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The “What do you want from the forum” thread. It’s awesome!
    awesome or its anagram: same woe