Home Non Cigar Related
Options

What are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's times like this that I'm grateful for the pandemic; Chris and Edward don't have to go to work and can find cool stuff like this...

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chris did all the work, that FDA paper made it more clear to me. As the beans age microbes and fungi consume the components that bind water so the aW changes, making it a useful measurement when buying beans. Right?

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

Oops, I went too far, I've hit the point of diminishing returns. I wonder if my beard hair is long enough to build a hygrometer. "Glitter Blast" soundtrack dedicated to @Patrickbrick

https://youtu.be/NF_nanpcQ9c

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

WTF?!!!

• Options

Engineering Murine Adipocytes and Skeletal Muscle Cells in Meat-like Constructs Using Self-Assembled Layer-by-Layer Biofabrication: A Platform for Development of Cultivated Meat

https://www.newswise.com/articles/canadian-researchers-crate-new-form-of-cultivated-meat?sc=sphn

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope it tastes like 🥓.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't figure out exactly who wants fake meats.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options

Fake people.

• Options

Light-Induced Twisting of Weyl Nodes Switches on Giant Electron Current – Useful for Spintronics and Quantum Computing

https://scitechdaily.com/light-induced-twisting-of-weyl-nodes-switches-on-giant-electron-current-useful-for-spintronics-and-quantum-computing/

• Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

The “Protests” thread in this forum.. It’s a wild ride 🥸

• Options

I found that Wikipedia has quite an extensive article of the history of Ybor City

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Ybor_City

I got there after running across a Tampa Fad Rooster Cigar ad when I was trying to identify a cigar that @TNBigfoot68 sent me with the image of a rooster on the band only to find out that there's an annual James E. Rooster Funeral & Procession in Tampa to celebrate the lives of all Roosters in Tampa past and present.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's cool to walk around down there, ^^^ chickens running by with chicks, roosters strutting about.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    I found that Wikipedia has quite an extensive article of the history of Ybor City

I got there after running across a Tampa Fad Rooster Cigar ad when I was trying to identify a cigar that @TNBigfoot68 sent me with the image of a rooster on the band only to find out that there's an annual James E. Rooster Funeral & Procession in Tampa to celebrate the lives of all Roosters in Tampa past and present.

Might be a tat... caint remember

I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Options
    TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:

@Yakster here it is

I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Options

Ah, the Dapper Desvalido, thanks I've got it now.

• Options

https://aeon.co/essays/conceptual-overreach-threatens-the-quality-of-public-reason

"Another factor is the craving for simplicity, for relatively uncomplicated approaches and solutions to complex problems. Rather than recognising that there are many distinct values that sometimes clash, conceptual overreach, especially in its more extreme varieties, offers the illusory comfort that the most difficult challenges that confront us all ‘boil down to’ one factor – such as upholding the rule of law or human rights. One reason that this craving for simplicity is misguided is that it typically offers little more than a cosmetic response to value conflicts that are there anyway. This is because conflicts can arise when only one value is in play, but figures on both sides of the ledger of pros and cons in public decision-making."

• Options

Eggcorns and mondegreens:

https://grammarist.com/mondegreens/

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

@First_Warrior said:
    The whole Hornblower series by C.S. Forester. Great reads.

I'd been meaning to ask, what did you think? Did you get through all of them or did other books, or just life, make you put them down? I just reread Beat To Quarters (the first one written by C. S. Forester, number 6 chronologically, and easily my favorite of them all due to how much I relate to Hornblower's crankiness and insecurity in that book.) Going to reread the rest of the series now.

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read all of them without interruption. Great reads with high adventure. I went to our library and got The African Queen also by C.S. Forester and had a good time with that book also.

• Options

"Chaos" by Iris Johansen.

• Options
    edited February 2021

Since plans are already in place to use nano materials in food packaging ( https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/02/210203144550.htm ) this is a salient article about the perils. I will spare you the research papers...

https://www.newswise.com/articles/the-invisible-killer-lurking-in-our-consumer-products?sc=dwhn

• Options
    gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles

• Options
    edited February 2021

Sturgeon’s Law: Ninety Percent of Everything Is Crap

Here are the key points from the article:

Sturgeon’s law is the adage that "ninety percent of everything is crap". This suggests that, in general, the vast majority of the works that are produced in any given field are likely to be of low quality.
    Sturgeon’s law can apply to various things, such as books, films, TV shows, apps, video games, and cars.
    Sturgeon's law can benefit you in various ways, for example by helping you accurately assess and criticize fields that you're interested in, and by helping you figure out how to spend your valuable resources, when it comes to things such as your time, attention, effort, and money.
    Important caveats about Sturgeon's law are that the definition of "crap" is subjective and sometimes controversial, that the 90% figure is just a very rough estimate, and that this observation doesn't apply in all situations.
    You should treat Sturgeon's law as a general observation and useful rule of thumb rather than as an absolute truth, and in addition to the general caveats about it, you should also remember that the expected 10% of good works likely won't be randomly distributed within a field, that there's a lot of variability even among the top 10% and the bottom 90% of works, and that a work may have some value even if the work is considered to be crap overall.
    You can read the full article here.

In addition, there are two quotes that I mention in the article that I also want to share here, because I think that you may find them particularly useful.

The first:

"A good moral to draw from [Sturgeon's law] is that when you want to criticize a field, a genre, a discipline, an art form, . . . don’t waste your time and ours hooting at the crap! Go after the good stuff, or leave it alone."

The second:

"Life is too short for the crud."

https://effectiviology.com/sturgeons-law/

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finishing up the stand, seems fitting in these times. A solid "B" for the first 1000 pages. Not in love with the ending so far, but Stephen King has about 60 pages to redeem himself.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

You may not feel he redeems himself. I'm still pissed at him for Colorado Kid!

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, the Kid did penetrate his ãnus with a .45, so bygones I guess...

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

King is horrible at endings, but The Stand is one of my favorites from him.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

The dark bloody river.

• Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:

Sturgeon’s Law: Ninety Percent of Everything Is Crap

Here are the key points from the article:

Sturgeon’s law is the adage that "ninety percent of everything is crap". This suggests that, in general, the vast majority of the works that are produced in any given field are likely to be of low quality.
    Sturgeon’s law can apply to various things, such as books, films, TV shows, apps, video games, and cars.
    Sturgeon's law can benefit you in various ways, for example by helping you accurately assess and criticize fields that you're interested in, and by helping you figure out how to spend your valuable resources, when it comes to things such as your time, attention, effort, and money.
    Important caveats about Sturgeon's law are that the definition of "crap" is subjective and sometimes controversial, that the 90% figure is just a very rough estimate, and that this observation doesn't apply in all situations.
    You should treat Sturgeon's law as a general observation and useful rule of thumb rather than as an absolute truth, and in addition to the general caveats about it, you should also remember that the expected 10% of good works likely won't be randomly distributed within a field, that there's a lot of variability even among the top 10% and the bottom 90% of works, and that a work may have some value even if the work is considered to be crap overall.
    You can read the full article here.

In addition, there are two quotes that I mention in the article that I also want to share here, because I think that you may find them particularly useful.

The first:

"A good moral to draw from [Sturgeon's law] is that when you want to criticize a field, a genre, a discipline, an art form, . . . don’t waste your time and ours hooting at the crap! Go after the good stuff, or leave it alone."

The second:

"Life is too short for the crud."

https://effectiviology.com/sturgeons-law/

Pretty much sums up cigars....But it's closer to 80%