Home Non Cigar Related
Options

What are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've grown many varieties of N. rustica over the years but never N. quadrivalvis. This article gave me reason to hunt down seeds and I found some here: https://klamathsiskiyouseeds.com/product/nicotiana-quadrivalvis-indian-tobacco/

Here's the article:
    https://www.newswise.com/articles/study-looks-at-smoking-in-pre-colonization-north-america?sc=dwhn

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting article^^

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

Blue Jacket (Shawnee war chief) was also a white man adopted by Shawnee at 17. by Alan Eckert.

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Empire of the Summer Moon. The story of Quanah Parker and the rise and fall of the Comanches, the most powerful Indian tribe in American History. by S.C. Gwynne.
    Anybody interested in Texas history should have this book on their reading list.

• Options

https://psyche.co/ideas/lessons-against-self-love-from-the-forgotten-francois-fenelon

"Death came for Fénelon at age 63, in 1715 – the same year it came for the Sun King, with whose life Fénelon’s was inextricably tied. And herein lies his first claim to our attention today. Fénelon spent his political life organising and leading the resistance to Louis XIV. As is immediately evident to every tourist who visits the Palace of Versailles, Louis was a man with unbounded love for himself. Versailles remains a monument to his immense vanity and self-obsession, and his approach to political rule was determined by the same love of grandeur and glory that led him to build his palace. Scholars today often use the term ‘absolutist’ to describe this approach, in which the king, ruling in the belief that he governs by divine right, does all he can to ensure he always stands at the centre of all things. The approach is captured well by the most famous (albeit likely apocryphal) line associated with Louis: L’état, c’est moi – ‘I am the State.’"

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's interesting. I never looked into Fenelon but have a book by him that I read 20 years ago, Spiritual Progress, and always thought he was a priest or something.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

Yes he was. But he also ended up proving that mixing religion with politics rarely leads to peace.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hasn't worked in the middle-east.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

Kevin Beresford has spent 17 years as Redditch's resident roundabout spotter and has travelled the country looking for junction perfection - and now his Roundabout Appreciation Society has unveiled their number one for 2020

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/britains-dullest-man-unveils-international-22707142

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

"Unusually Stupid Americans: A Compendium of All-American Stupidity" (Much larger book if wrote/written today)
    KINDLE-Amazon (Does that count as reading?)

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jd50ae said:
    "Unusually Stupid Americans: A Compendium of All-American Stupidity" (Much larger book if wrote today)

Is this for real?

Or, are you just checking to see if we're stupid enough to believe it?

Find anyone we know?

Seems like it would be a long read.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@jd50ae said:
    "Unusually Stupid Americans: A Compendium of All-American Stupidity" (Much larger book if wrote today)

Is this for real?

Or, are you just checking to see if we're stupid enough to believe it?

Find anyone we know?

Seems like it would be a long read.

It is not all that recent a book, can't imagine how long it would be today. And I don't think liberals and democrats were so obvious at the time.

• Options

time travel:

Classical and Quantum Gravity
    PAPER • THE FOLLOWING ARTICLE ISOPEN ACCESS
    Reversible dynamics with closed time-like curves and freedom of choice

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1361-6382/aba4bc

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Atlantis Found" by Clive Cussler, one of his earlier ones I missed.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm, I think just reading it online is less impactful than reading it in paper form, that's why I sent Patrick a coffee book instead of links.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

Just got back from our local library with the whole Hornblower series. Great reads. I'll start when I get done with Michael Connelly's The Crossing.

• Options
  • Options

origin of mass in our universe:

Extremely rare Higgs boson decay process spotted
    https://phys.org/news/2020-10-extremely-rare-higgs-boson.html

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    origin of mass in our universe:

Extremely rare Higgs boson decay process spotted
    https://phys.org/news/2020-10-extremely-rare-higgs-boson.html

When a flock of angels dance on the head of a pin, what angelic do they dance to?

Physics has gone gossamer loony one tenuous conjecture after another.

You had me at Newton.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

groundhog day for real?:
    Apparent evidence for Hawking points in the CMB Sky
    https://academic.oup.com/mnras/article/495/3/3403/5838759

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's some deep stuff.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

Personal by Lee Child. Reacher is at it again.

• Options

WHAT A SHAMAN SEES IN A MENTAL HOSPITAL
    https://www.wakingtimes.com/2014/08/22/shaman-sees-mental-hospital/

"“The Western culture has consistently ignored the birth of the healer,” states Dr. Somé. “Consequently, there will be a tendency from the other world to keep trying as many people as possible in an attempt to get somebody’s attention. They have to try harder.” The spirits are drawn to people whose senses have not been anesthetized. “The sensitivity is pretty much read as an invitation to come in,” he notes.

"Those who develop so-called mental disorders are those who are sensitive, which is viewed in Western culture as oversensitivity. Indigenous cultures don’t see it that way and, as a result, sensitive people don’t experience themselves as overly sensitive. In the West, “it is the overload of the culture they’re in that is just wrecking them,” observes Dr. Somé. The frenetic pace, the bombardment of the senses, and the violent energy that characterize Western culture can overwhelm sensitive people."

• Options

The Western culture has consistently ignored the birth of the healer...

All well and good until someone eats the village albino to cure leprosy.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

@webmost said:

The Western culture has consistently ignored the birth of the healer...

All well and good until someone eats the village albino to cure leprosy.

That works? Sweet!

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

"The Great Alone" by Kristin Hannah.

• Options