Home Non Cigar Related
Options

What are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Night Fire by Michael Connelly. Harry Bosch keep on getting on.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

hmm...

"Researchers studying insect pests also have found that viruses are critical for species population control. If a certain species becomes overpopulated, “a virus will come through and wipe them out”, Roossinck says. “It’s a very natural part of ecosystems.” This process, called “kill the winner”, is common in many other species as well, including our own – as evidenced by pandemics. “When populations become very abundant, viruses tend to replicate very rapidly and knock that population down, creating space for everything else to live,” Suttle says. If viruses suddenly disappeared, competitive species likely would flourish to the detriment of others."

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200617-what-if-all-viruses-disappeared

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

I adore the old first-hand accounts of history. Nothing more authentic than words straight from the pen of heroes on the ground at the time.

A light rain keeps my smoking porch cool this morning. The gar is a Golden Hair (Pelo de Oro) robusto, with a Piloto Cubano core and a Ecuadorian Habano binder, wrapped in FX Smith's CT Shade. Mild and sweet. Birds constructing a second nest under the eaves, just outside the door. The yard is full of birdsong.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

Any design engineers on this list: entry rules for designing a toilet for NASA,
    https://www.herox.com/LunarLoo/guidelines

• Options

a farmer growing vegetables as a cover crop, the locals are free to wander in and harvest, after the season he brings in the cows to graze, then tills in what is left as 'green manure'. Simple, brilliant, caring for his community:

https://civileats.com/2020/05/12/most-farmers-in-the-great-plains-dont-grow-fruits-and-vegetables-the-pandemic-is-changing-that/?fbclid=IwAR1SSxw-RR9JhkszOtD4nqci_IaZk0KvcL3GTtdY1B7KfmR6yhivIgtVbbY

• Options
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. I think Stalin killed more than Hitler, maybe a lot more, but Mao was definitely a heavy hitter. I may have to check it out when I have more time.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

Covid-19, since March 2019? The paper hasn't been peer-reviewed but if true the virus has been circulating for longer than had been thought.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.06.13.20129627v1

"SARS-CoV-2 was detected in Barcelona sewage long before the declaration of the first COVID-19 case, indicating that the infection was present in the population before the first imported case was reported. "

• Options
    edited June 2020

@silvermouse said:
    Covid-19, since March 2019? The paper hasn't been peer-reviewed but if true the virus has been circulating for longer than had been thought.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.06.13.20129627v1

"SARS-CoV-2 was detected in Barcelona sewage long before the declaration of the first COVID-19 case, indicating that the infection was present in the population before the first imported case was reported. "

I don't get it. The study is talking about SARS-CoV-2. How's that presage COVID-19?

They're periodically freezing shitsamples? Who gets that job?

Who cleans out the freezer?

Years & years ago, I had a friend in Kali whose job it was to autoclave rabid dogshit. Boasted perfect job security.

• Options

the disease Covid-19 is caused by the virus SARS-CoV-2

• Options
    edited June 2020

So why don't they call it that?

No come este murciélago, chica.

• Options

same reason they don't call the HIV virus Aids, it is useful to be able to make the distinction...cause/effect.

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Walk the Wire" by David Baldacci.

• Options

Another Jack Ryan book, Code of Honor by Tom Clancy ghost written by Marc Cameron.

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

Borrowing this from @peter4jc because he said I would like it.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, you got that same pencil in the exact same spot.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

@peter4jc said:
    Wow, you got that same pencil in the exact same spot.

Based on the title, you gave it to me because you think I think slow, didn’t you?

• Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

Preparing to vote on some changes to our investment companies futures. Bleeggh.
    Gonna need some aspirin

no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options

psst: Plastics!

• Options

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't tell much from the URL, and I'm not about to become click bait without knowing what it is.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

@Yakster said:

Can't tell much from the URL, and I'm not about to become click bait without knowing what it is.

"Some thoughts on the science of onanism"

A lecture delivered by Mark Twain to The Stomach Club in Paris

• Options
    MrShrekMrShrek Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just picked this up from a good friend of mine who is the author.

• Options

One Minute Out, a Gray Man novel by Mark Greaney. Greaney ghost wrote several novels for Tom Clancy before striking out on his own.

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

I finished Timeline by Michael Crichton last night. It started out solid, but I found myself getting lost with medieval french names by the end. I started Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian. I'm about a hundred pages in. It's decent. a quick read, but if your not used to English (British) writing it is significantly drier than it's american counterparts.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Last Mile" by David Baldacci.

• Options

@Wylaff said:
    I finished Timeline by Michael Crichton last night. It started out solid, but I found myself getting lost with medieval french names by the end. I started Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian. I'm about a hundred pages in. It's decent. a quick read, but if your not used to English (British) writing it is significantly drier than it's american counterparts.

Horatio Hornblower is so much better than Jack Aubrey it's not even close. Try that series. Start with Beat to Quarters.

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@webmost said:

@Wylaff said:

Horatio Hornblower is so much better than Jack Aubrey it's not even close. Try that series. Start with Beat to Quarters.

I'll look for it next time I'm at the book store. Thanks.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options

@Wylaff said:

@webmost said:

@Wylaff said:

I'll look for it next time I'm at the book store. Thanks.

I’m out right now so I’ll send you the link when I get home, but they’re available for free online (legally free not stealing). I completely agree with @webmost though one of my favorite series of all time. I sent the whole series to @Rhamlin a while ago with a few first editions mixed in, or this would have been fun lol.