Home Non Cigar Related
Options

What are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    ScotchnSmokeScotchnSmoke Posts: 134

Catch and Kill. It's the Harvey Weinstein tell all book that took down NBC. Pretty good read, really makes you respect the author if everything he is saying is truthful.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

Against my better judgement, Run with the Hunted, a Charles Bukowski Reader. I've read this several times before. Not a happy book.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

This one seems appropriate: we ain't got no money, honey, but we got rain" by Charles Bukowski

http://oxypoet.blogspot.com/2008/04/billyblogs-favorite-poems-4-we-aint-got.html?m=1

• Options

@silvermouse said:
    http://openculture.com/2020/03/the-national-emergency-library-makes-nearly-1-5-million-books-free-to-read-right-now.html

The National Emergency Library Makes 1.5 Million Books Free to Read Right Now
    in Books, Internet Archive, Libraries | March 27th, 2020 1 Comment

The coronavirus has closed libraries in countries all around the world. Or rather, it's closed physical libraries: each week of struggle against the epidemic that goes by, more resources for books open to the public on the internet. Most recently, we have the Internet Archive's opening of the National Emergency Library, "a collection of books that supports emergency remote teaching, research activities, independent scholarship, and intellectual stimulation while universities, schools, training centers, and libraries are closed." While the "national" in the name refers to the United States, where the Internet Archive operates, anyone in the world can read its nearly 1.5 million books, immediately and without waitlists, from now "through June 30, 2020, or the end of the US national emergency, whichever is later."

"Not to be sneezed at is the sheer pleasure of browsing through the titles," writes The New Yorker's Jill Lepore of the National Emergency Library, going on to mention such volumes as How to Succeed in Singing, Interesting Facts about How Spiders Live, and An Introduction to Kant’s Philosophy, as well as "Beckett on Proust, or Bloom on Proust, or just On Proust." A historian of America, Lepore finds herself reminded of the Council on Books in Wartime, "a collection of libraries, booksellers, and publishers, founded in 1942." On the premise that "books are useful, necessary, and indispensable," the council "picked over a thousand volumes, from Virginia Woolf’s The Years to Raymond Chandler’s The Big Sleep, and sold the books, around six cents a copy, to the U.S. military." By practically giving away 120 million copies of such books, the project "created a nation of readers."

In fact, the Council on Books in Wartime created more than a nation of readers: the American "soldiers and sailors and Army nurses and anyone else in uniform" who received these books passed them along, or even left them behind in the far-flung places they'd been stationed. Haruki Murakami once told the Paris Review of his youth in Kobe, "a port city where many foreigners and sailors used to come and sell their paperbacks to the secondhand bookshops. I was poor, but I could buy paperbacks cheaply. I learned to read English from those books and that was so exciting." Seeing as Murakami himself later translated The Big Sleep into his native Japanese, it's certainly not impossible that an Armed Services Edition counted among his purchases back then.

Now, in translations into English and other languages as well, we can all read Murakami's work — novels like Norwegian Wood and Kafka on the Shore, short-story collections like The Elephant Vanishes, and even the memoir What I Talk About When I Talk About Running — free at the National Emergency Library. The most popular books now available include everything from Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale to the Kama Sutra, Dr. Seuss's ABC to Alvin Schwartz's Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (and its two sequels), Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart to, in disconcerting first place, Sylvia Browne's End of Days: Predictions and Prophecy About the End of the World. You'll even find, in the original French as well as English translation, Albert Camus' existential epidemic novel La Peste, or The Plague, featured earlier this month here on Open Culture. And if you'd rather not confront its subject matter at this particular moment, you'll find more than enough to take your mind elsewhere. Enter the National Emergency Library here.

Related Content:

http://www.openculture.com/free_ebooks

http://www.openculture.com/2018/04/enter-the-magazine-rack-the-internet-archives-collection-of-34000-digitized-magazines.html

http://www.openculture.com/2020/03/use-your-time-in-isolation-to-learn-everything-youve-always-wanted-to.html
    __.,.___
    Posted by: merle lester bmlester@tpg.com.au

VISIT YOUR GROUP
    Yahoo! Groups• Privacy • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use
    __,.,___

I took advantage of the National Emergency Library today to continue reading the Bukowski book, the library has a good selection.

• Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

This arrived yesterday. I could have saved my wife the $10.00 if she would have just asked me. Think she is trying to understand my charming attitude?

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options

I think my Wife has been listening to that title on Audible.

• Options

I've decided that Bukowski goes well with cigars, and age.

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks to @CalvinAndHobo i am currently at exactly the halfway point in The Passage by Justin Cronin. And it is good. It is very good. Vampires, but like you’ve never encountered them. It is what I’ve seen called archeological fiction, meaning everything that happens is there before you, and it is up to you to figure out just which thread your going to follow.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options

Wow, for a 30 MHz signal and assuming only 50% efficiency, that's a 500 x increase in receiver gain (27 dB) and a 0.7 degree beamwidth. That's amazing at frequencies that low.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

why there is stuff:

15 APRIL 2020
    Matter–antimatter symmetry violated
    In a mirror world, antiparticles should behave in the same way as particles. But it emerges that leptons — neutrinos, electrons and their more exotic cousins — might not obey this expected pattern.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01000-9

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    why there is stuff:

15 APRIL 2020
    Matter–antimatter symmetry violated
    In a mirror world, antiparticles should behave in the same way as particles. But it emerges that leptons — neutrinos, electrons and their more exotic cousins — might not obey this expected pattern.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01000-9

Read this yesterday, very interesting

• Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rereading this till I can get something new

no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options

I'm a monster. I use dust covers to save my place too.

• Options

https://aeon.co/essays/how-ant-societies-point-to-radical-possibilities-for-humans

The ant colony has often served as a metaphor for human order and hierarchy. But real ant society is radical to its core

• Options

Very interesting read, @silvermouse

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Gone South" by Robert McCammon. It's the first time I've read one of his. Our public library is closed and I'm going through old books in our library.

• Options

Prospective Study of Polygenic Risk, Protective Factors, and Incident Depression Following Combat Deployment in US Army Soldiers

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/361725v1.full.pdf

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Arrived today

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse , if I could hit the Awesome button 50 times I would for that post. ^^

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

There aren't a lot of free thinkers who haven't drunk one flavor of Kool-Ade or another left.

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭✭✭

The First Eagle, Tony Hillerman. Found this book when I cleaned my studio. Sure hope the library opens soon.

• Options

I read a lot of Hillerman novels in the past. Looks like there's several in the National Emergency Library on Archive.Org

https://archive.org/details/nationalemergencylibrary

I've also been browsing the Archive.org collection of open books and begun reading HP Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness while smoking KBV Mountains of Madness tobacco when I'm not reading the next section of Charles Bukowski's Run with the Hunted collection.

I know it's not the same as reading a physical book, but it is an option.

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just finished the Orphan X series. Not the best series I've ever read but enjoyable.

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just finished a book called My Brother's Destroyer by Clayton Lindemuth. One of the most unique books I've ever read, in a very good way. It's similar to a western, except it takes place something like 15 or 20 years ago. The whole book is written vernacularly, about a somewhat crazy hillbilly Moonshiner living in the woods in western North Carolina who's dog gets stolen. It took a few chapters to adjust to the intentional misspelling and slang, but it added so much to the story and the character. To anyone who likes westerns or noir this is a must read. Going to read the rest of the series now.

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

"The Institute" by Stephen King. Pretty interesting so far.

• Options

https://aeon.co/essays/why-foucaults-work-on-power-is-more-important-than-ever

"What these studies reveal is that power, which easily frightens us, turns out to be all the more cunning because its basic forms of operation can change in response to our ongoing efforts to free ourselves from its grip. "