Home Non Cigar Related
Options

What are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another Global Pandemic Is Spreading—Among Pigs
    African swine fever killed half the pigs in China. There is no vaccine and no treatment. Now it’s in the Caribbean and on the doorstep of the US.

https://www.wired.com/story/another-global-pandemic-is-spreading-among-pigs/

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better stock up on pork products.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021

Fake news B)

Don't look ↑
  • Options

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0091674921013993
    Maternal preconception occupational exposure to cleaning products and disinfectants and offspring asthma

Mother’s occupational exposure to indoor cleaning agents starting before conception, or around conception and pregnancy, was associated with more childhood asthma and wheeze in offspring. Considering potential implications for vast numbers of women in childbearing age using cleaning agents, and their children, further research is imperative.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7003510/

The Burden of Respiratory Abnormalities Among Workers at Coffee Roasting and Packaging Facilities

Edward, here's one that covers coffee roaster's wheeze.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

Not much exposure with my small batches but I roast in an unheated entryway with the sliding door open anyway. Since a respiratory infection a few years ago my lungs are not in the best of shape so every bit helps keep matters from worsening.

• Options

"Additionally, the intense emotions triggered by conspiracy theories might suppress people’s capacity to think rationally about them. Emotions are part of a system within the human mind that produces snap judgments, while slower, more analytic thought is required for scepticism about conspiracy theories. The combination of fluency and suppression of rationality could promote the belief that there is truth in an entertaining conspiracy theory."

"...the most entertaining stories people encounter frequently do not correspond to reality; often, the truth can be quite boring."

https://psyche.co/ideas/how-conspiracy-theories-bypass-peoples-rationality

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Autistic Brain by Temple Grandin. Fascinating book.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

The Autistic Brain by Temple Grandin. Fascinating book.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

The double post was accidental, but kind of funny when I think about it.

• Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

Currently this

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Hard Way by Lee Child. Reacher is at it again.

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hush, Hush bu Stuart Woods.

• Options
  • Options

Agnotology (formerly agnatology) is the study of deliberate, culturally-induced ignorance or doubt, typically to sell a product or win favour, particularly through the publication of inaccurate or misleading scientific data. More generally, the term also highlights the condition where more knowledge of a subject leaves one more uncertain than before.

galison.scholar.harvard.eduhttps://galison.scholar.harvard.edu › files › andrewhsmith › files › chapter_2_galison_and_proctor.pdf
    2 Agnotology in Action: A Dialogue Peter Galison and Robert Proctor 1. Ignorance as a Topic of Investigation Peter Galison: Robert, you and I have been talking about agnotology—the structure of impressed ignorance—for a long time now, or certainly since the time we were graduate students. Over the years, you have been focused

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing. I have no imagination. I read Green Eggs and Ham in line at Kohl’s once tho.

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vision said:
    Nothing. I have no imagination. I read Green Eggs and Ham in line at Kohl’s once tho.

Out loud or to yourself

• Options

@Jrflickster said:

@Vision said:

Out loud or to yourself

A little to my wife. Mostly to me.

• Options

@silvermouse said:
    Agnotology (formerly agnatology) is the study of deliberate, culturally-induced ignorance or doubt, typically to sell a product or win favour, particularly through the publication of inaccurate or misleading scientific data. More generally, the term also highlights the condition where more knowledge of a subject leaves one more uncertain than before.

galison.scholar.harvard.eduhttps://galison.scholar.harvard.edu › files › andrewhsmith › files › chapter_2_galison_and_proctor.pdf
    2 Agnotology in Action: A Dialogue Peter Galison and Robert Proctor 1. Ignorance as a Topic of Investigation Peter Galison: Robert, you and I have been talking about agnotology—the structure of impressed ignorance—for a long time now, or certainly since the time we were graduate students. Over the years, you have been focused

Awesome. I didn't know there was a name for it, but I've been observing it in action most of my life. From apparently deliberate mispronunciations and denial of racial and gender equality to the recent vaccine debates it's always mystified me that people can be actually proud of their own display of ignorance in the face of overwhelming fact and logic. Thanks.

• Options

Some folk give more credence to their emotions than they should, fertile ground for the growth of opinion without rational underpinnings. It's like they choose to be victims of their own gut reactions rather than using them as guides to healthy skepticism.

• Options
  • Options

proofreading my wife's years-long web project
    https://tools4racialjustice.net/#

A Word about this Website
    THE HEALING RACISM TOOLKIT IS FOR WHITE PEOPLE in North America to understand and begin to heal the racism we carry. Racism is a chronic spiritual disease born out of a false sense of racial entitlement, arrogance, egotism and superiority. It prevents the building of healthy community.

• Options

Total bullshlt

• Options
    edited November 2021

@silvermouse said:
    proofreading my wife's years-long web project
    https://tools4racialjustice.net/#

A Word about this Website
    THE HEALING RACISM TOOLKIT IS FOR WHITE PEOPLE in North America to understand and begin to heal the racism we carry. Racism is a chronic spiritual disease born out of a false sense of racial entitlement, arrogance, egotism and superiority. It prevents the building of healthy community.

Thoughtful Thought provoking read. Just spent about 35 minutes on there.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:
    Total bullshlt

Wow harsh

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it though

• Options
    edited November 2021

I have been reading since @silvermouse post on all the massacres and lynchings. It is really profound when you read the history. As to the toolkit part, this I can not speak to.

Adding link to site:
    https://plaintalkhistory.com/monroeandflorencework/explore/

• Options

@VegasFrank said:

@ShawnOL said:
    Total bullshlt

Wow harsh

I didn't sugarcoat it enough?