Options

What are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hobbes86 said:

More reading on the Civil War.

Fancy cover, who wrote these tomes?

I've read about 3 dozen civil war books, and my favorite to this day is the first one I ever read, which was Killer Angels by Michael Shaara. It won a Pulitzer if I remember correctly.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    Fancy cover, who wrote these tomes?

I've read about 3 dozen civil war books, and my favorite to this day is the first one I ever read, which was Killer Angels by Michael Shaara. It won a Pulitzer if I remember correctly.

James I. Robertson Jr

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Light Of The World by the master James Lee Burke. I've read everything Burke has written and some titles twice. This dude can paint pictures with words.

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Billy Summers" by Stephen King.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    Oops, I went too far, I've hit the point of diminishing returns. I wonder if my beard hair is long enough to build a hygrometer. "Glitter Blast" soundtrack dedicated to @Patrickbrick

https://youtu.be/NF_nanpcQ9c

I think my beard hair is now long enough for this project.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir same guy the wrote The Martian. good read

• Options

For @silvermouse

Optimization of Bacterial Plasmid Transformation Using Nanomaterials Based on the Yoshida Effect

This talks about transforming DNA into bacteria using nanotube forms of sepiolite (meerschaum). Asbestos used to be used for this process, but had it's liabilities, sepiolite is similar and often mistaken for asbestos, and rarely contains asbestos.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, Chris. I didn't know that meerschaum was composed of bacteria daggers. I had to do a lot of cross-reading to understand it all but it sure is easier than when I was a kid trying to understand papers I read in Nature Magazine. Thanks internet and "Unpaywall". Makes one wonder if meer pipe carvers who are infected with covid are assisting the virus's mutation, lol.

• Options
    edited January 2022

https://aeon.co/essays/how-one-man-changed-the-meaning-of-past-present-and-future

I love this line:
    "In the 1950s, Donald Williams argued for B-theory, bellowing against the ‘repulsive’ moving present, a ‘primitive magma of confusion’."

• Options
    EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@First_Warrior said:
    Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir same guy the wrote The Martian. good read

As @cbuck would say , Excellent !

• Options

A very interesting man, great read. It reads like a classic novel.

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Real Anthony Fauci
    Bill Gates, Big Pharma, and the Global War on Democracy and Public Health by Robert F Kennedy Jr.

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm. Might be interesting.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    Hmm. Might be interesting.

$3 at Amazon kindle

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found this series based on a review I saw on the internet. A retired British SAS special forces soldier self published this. It's one of the best series I've ever read, and I bet it's been read less than couple thousand times total, since the author seems to have given up on thrillers and is now writing erotic fiction based on his author page on Amazon.

Spoiler free:

An old and retired British soldier ends up inheriting a Swiss bank with **** ties, and tries to unravel everything going on behind the scenes while fighting Nazis and cryptocracy. Tons of interwoven storylines that all get tied together in the end. It's also got 2 of the funniest antiheroes ever created, one being Johno and the other being a child who gets introduced at the end of the first book. I highly recommend it, $10 for 7 books. It's a 6 book series with one final book that's in the same universe, all published as an omnibus. I'm going to start on his Wilco series now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MT2FMUY/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p5_i8

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

@CalvinAndHobo said:

An old and retired British soldier ends up inheriting a Swiss bank with **** ties, and

Naz1 ties*

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why were the Nazis keeping their ties in a bank?

Note to self: you've been hanging around @IndustMech too much.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
  • Options

Well, that was clear as mud.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

I leave my laptop plugged in most of the time, but the battery is set to stop charging at 80%.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

A collection of short stories, and yes I am directly related to the main characters.

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options

It is surprising that there isn't a strong cyber-Luddite movement. Too many people have drunk the cool-aid I guess.

https://apnews.com/article/technology-business-china-russia-europe-120b7dedacd8d545bf4521a1948bc31e

• Options

This is highly unsettling, @silvermouse. There is no healthy alternative to what God created men and women to be to each other.

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hobbes86 said:
    This is highly unsettling, @silvermouse. There is no healthy alternative to what God created men and women to be to each other.

So what you're saying is don't believe in god and it's a 24 hour party?!!? Man those atheists got it good z!

• Options
    edited January 2022

@Vision said:
    So what you're saying is don't believe in god and it's a 24 hour party?!!? Man those atheists got it good z!

One could choose to take it that way, and they could have a lot of fun for a while. However, I think they would come to regret it at the end.