Home Non Cigar Related
Options

What are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

So you’re saying that SkyNet now employs hookerbots?

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's an essay on the reality of the Bing Chatbot:
    https://www.vice.com/en/article/k7bmmx/bing-ai-chatbot-meltdown-sentience

Thing is--imagine a kid's reaction to some of the stuff it spits out. They get freaked out by human trolls to the point of committing suicide already.

From the above linked article:
    "It is also worth taking a step back from the hype and genuine surprise at the model's sometimes convincing nature to assess what is really going on here, and what is at stake. It is arguably even dangerous to conflate the chatbot's statistical guesses with sentience, since doing so could lead to potential harm to users who put their trust in the bot. We've already seen glimpses of this: After users of an AI companion chatbot called Replika noticed that it had stopped responding to sexual advances in kind, the resulting panic prompted moderators of its subreddit to post suicide prevention resources."

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

“Certain Prey” by John Sanford. Another old one I missed.

• Options

The Secret to Bruce Lee’s Superhuman One-Inch Punch

Martial arts moves can seem magical, but maybe they just display a mastery of physics.

https://www.wired.com/story/the-secret-to-bruce-lees-superhuman-one-inch-punch/

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your'e welcome Peter. Let me know your thoughts when you finish it.
    t> @peter4jc said:

Started reading Rodger's book today; it's hard to put down. Thanks, @First_Warrior

• Options

Does deidentification of data from wearable devices give us a false sense of security? A systematic review

Wearable devices have made it easier to generate and share data collected on individuals. This systematic review seeks to investigate whether deidentifying data from wearable devices is sufficient to protect the privacy of individuals in datasets.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/landig/article/PIIS2589-7500(22)00234-5/fulltext

• Options

“Hot Mahogany” by Stuart Woods.

• Options

" White Doves At Morning " by the master James Lee Burke, his latest effort. I takes place in and around New Orleans during the War of Northern Aggression.

• Options
    TRayBTRayB Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023

@First_Warrior said:
    " White Doves At Morning " by the master James Lee Burke, his latest effort. I takes place in and around New Orleans during the War of Northern Aggression.

Spoken like a true Reb! I haven't heard that term since my friend from NC passed about 8 years ago.

• Options
  • Options

@TRayB said:

@First_Warrior said:

Spoken like a true Reb! I haven't heard that term since my friend from NC passed about 8 years ago.

I first heard that when I moved to NC. I also heard, “The era of great unpleasantness.”

• Options

Another James Lee Burke novel. "The Jealous Kind"

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

re-reading what may be my favorite thriller series ever. It's very hard to write a funny thriller, but this amateur author managed to do a great job. Given the humor, it's pretty easy to see why no one agreed to publish it though, very off color. Highly recommend it if you have a kindle. 7 books total, $10.

https://www.amazon.com/K2-Books-1-7-Geoff-Wolak-ebook/dp/B01MT2FMUY/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1NLGS1ZRV3QOU&keywords=geoff+wolak+k2&qid=1677783681&sprefix=geoff+wolak+k,aps,145&sr=8-1

• Options

“Shoot Him if He Runs” by Stuart Woods.

• Options

the future is here, virtual health care from Amazon. As far as I can see it just adds $12 a month to the cost of healthcare. I do wonder how effective it is compared to face-to-face hands-on care from someone with whom you have a personal connection. :

Frustration-free primary care is here
    Join One Medical, $199 $144 for a year
    Amazon and One Medical are teaming up to make healthcare more convenient and membership more affordable. Now just $199 $144 for a year for new members (that’s equivalent to $12/month), you can get primary care for your body and mind.

One Medical membership benefits you'll enjoy:

24/7 virtual care via messaging or video
    Online appointment booking
    On-demand video chat
    In-app prescription requests and renewals

Join now—limited-time offer
    One Medical

One Medical also offers exceptional primary care, helping with everything from common illnesses to chronic diseases and mental health concerns.
    Access to offices in many U.S. cities and the ability to schedule a remote visit with your provider
    Appointments that start on time
    Drop-in lab services at One Medical offices
    Message a provider in the app
    Compassionate doctors and providers who take time to listen
    Learn more about One Medical

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

My elbow feel funny. Oh, wait. I have an app for that.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, but the Chinese have invented a set of reactive lips that supposedly feel human.

Imagine the possibilities.

If they'd invented those when I was a teenager...well, I'd have probably never gotten married.

Yesterdays daydreams are here.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YankeeMan said:
    “Shoot Him if He Runs” by Stuart Woods.

I really like that title.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

The Philosopher Who Believes in Living Things
    Jane Bennett argues that the stuff that surrounds us isn’t inert—it has a will of its own.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annals-of-inquiry/the-philosopher-who-believes-in-living-things

• Options

The psychological causes and societal consequences of authoritarianism

Abstract
    Over the past two decades, citizens’ political rights and civil liberties have declined globally. Psychological science can play an instrumental role in both explaining and combating the authoritarian impulses that underlie these attacks on personal autonomy. In this Review, we describe the psychological processes and situational factors that foster authoritarianism, as well as the societal consequences of its apparent resurgence within the general population. First, we summarize the dual process motivational model of ideology and prejudice, which suggests that viewing the world as a dangerous, but not necessarily competitive, place plants the psychological seeds of authoritarianism. Next, we discuss the evolutionary, genetic, personality and developmental antecedents to authoritarianism and explain how contextual threats to safety and security activate authoritarian predispositions. After examining the harmful consequences of authoritarianism for intergroup relations and broader societal attitudes, we discuss the need to expand the ideological boundaries of authoritarianism and encourage future research to investigate both right-wing and left-wing variants of authoritarianism.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s44159-023-00161-4

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

Robert Packer’s “Fool Me Twice” by Michael Brandman.

• Options

sign of the times? Bank runs accelerated by social media...

How Silicon Valley's Bank Imploded
    Two days after a surreal bank run amplified by social media began, founders' favorite bank has been shut down by the FDIC.
    https://www.vice.com/en/article/epvg8a/how-silicon-valleys-bank-imploded

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    sign of the times? Bank runs accelerated by social media...

How Silicon Valley's Bank Imploded
    Two days after a surreal bank run amplified by social media began, founders' favorite bank has been shut down by the FDIC.
    https://www.vice.com/en/article/epvg8a/how-silicon-valleys-bank-imploded

Social media definitely sped everything up, but the bank was in a bad spot as it was. When money was free in 2020, they took all their profits and put it in very low interest T bills which are now being outperformed by many generic savings accounts. More than 50% of their money is only making 1.75% interest, while at the same time not being liquid. This paragraph in the article should have been like 3/4 of the article.

• Options

“Unbound” by Stuart Woods.

• Options

extensive photo collection of earthquake rescue efforts in Turkey and Syria:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/06/world/gallery/earthquake-turkey-syria-2023/index.html