Home Non Cigar Related
Options

What are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/06/09/colombia-missing-children-found-plane-crash/

AMERICAS
    Plane crash children found alive after 40 days in jungle, officials say
    By Diana Durán, Ana Vanessa Herrero and Mikhail Klimentov
    Updated June 9, 2023 at 9:30 p.m. EDT|Published June 9, 2023 at 8:38 p.m. EDT

Four young plane crash survivors were found alive Friday after 40 days alone in the Amazon jungle.

BOGOTA, Colombia — Four young children who went missing last month when their plane crashed in the Amazon rainforest were found alive Friday, Colombia’s minister of defense told The Washington Post.

“A joy for the whole country!” Colombian President Gustavo Petro tweeted Friday evening with a photo of the four siblings being treated by emergency responders in jungle camouflage.

Are you on Telegram? Subscribe to our channel for the latest updates on Russia’s war in Ukraine.

The children, aged 13, 9, 4 and 1, survived in the jungle for 40 days. Their mother and two others died in the crash.

“They were alone. They themselves achieved an example of total survival. It will remain in history, so those children are today the children of peace and the children of Colombia,” Petro told local media.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

They must've ate mom and two others.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

buy some cashews! The farmers cannot sell them even when asking for $0.24 per kilo!

https://www.reuters.com/markets/commodities/slump-global-cashew-demand-pushes-ivory-coast-industry-verge-collapse-2023-06-05/

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

" Desert Star " Michael Connelly Harry Bosch is after the bad folks.

• Options
    BrokegunnerBrokegunner Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm reading "Mountains & Molehills: or, Recollections From A Burnt Journal" by Frank Marryat. It was recommended to me as an interesting history of the California Gold Rush area, which is where I currently reside. If you're interested in history it's a great read and available on Kindle.

"Not all heroes eat crepes"

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    buy some cashews! The farmers cannot sell them even when asking for $0.24 per kilo!

https://www.reuters.com/markets/commodities/slump-global-cashew-demand-pushes-ivory-coast-industry-verge-collapse-2023-06-05/

Now I’ll have to read how well the cashew market in South America is doing. My guess is that a lot of the buying from Africa is due to political reasons.

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:
    Cashew? Geshundheit!

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

“Standup Guy” by Stuart Woods.

• Options

Scientists discover spiral-shaped signals that organize brain activity
    Discovery could advance both computing and understanding of the brain

https://www.newswise.com/articles/brain-activity-organized-by-spiral-signals-found

• Options

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/do-insects-feel-joy-and-pain/

Back then, my views were in line with the mainstream. Pain is a conscious experience, and many scholars then thought that consciousness is unique to humans. But these days, after decades of researching the perception and intelligence of bees, I am wondering if the Berlin botany professor might have been right.

Researchers have since shown that bees and some other insects are capable of intelligent behavior that no one thought possible when I was a student. Bees, for example, can count, grasp concepts of sameness and difference, learn complex tasks by observing others, and know their own individual body dimensions, a capacity associated with consciousness in humans. They also appear to experience both pleasure and pain. In other words, it now looks like at least some species of insects—and maybe all of them—are sentient.

• Options

Then they should know to leave me the **** alone.

• Options

Tldr: avoid, it's bad for your hypothalamus

Dysregulation of Hypothalamic Gene Expression and the Oxytocinergic System by Soybean Oil Diets in Male Mice

https://academic.oup.com/endo/article/161/2/bqz044/5698148

• Options

I'll stop feeding soybean oil to the local rodents.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2023GL103509

Plain Language Summary
    Melting of polar ice sheets and mountain glaciers has been understood as a main cause of sea level rise associated with contemporary climate warming. It has been proposed that an important anthropogenic contribution is sea level rise due to groundwater depletion resulting from irrigation. A climate model estimate for the period 1993–2010 gives total groundwater depletion of 2,150 GTon, equivalent to global sea level rise of 6.24 mm. However, direct observational evidence supporting this estimate has been lacking. In this study, we show that the model estimate of water redistribution from aquifers to the oceans would result in a drift of Earth's rotational pole, about 78.48 cm toward 64.16°E. In combination with other well-understood sources of water redistribution, such as melting of polar ice sheets and mountain glaciers, good agreement with PM observations serves as an independent confirmation of the groundwater depletion model estimate.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rereading this one. It's fun.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options
    Sethbanks711Sethbanks711 Posts: 254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just finished up “How to be an F1 driver” by Jenson Button. Really good read if you’re into F1. Also not sure how many are into SciFi fiction, but been working my way through all of Mark Tufo’s books. He’s a fantastic storyteller.

• Options

“Rules of Prey” by John Sanford. It’s his first in the Davenport series and somehow I missed it.

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Everglades" by Randy Wayne White

• Options

This could be a game changer:

https://www.topspeed.com/toyotas-solid-state-batteries-up-to-932-miles/

When the solid-state batteries are released in 2027 or 2028, Toyota says the batteries will give their EVs an impressive 745 miles of range, surpassing the record-setting Lucid Air's 520-mile range. Additionally, Toyota's technology will be able to reduce charging times down to only 10 minutes.

• Options

Still needs fossil fuel to run it.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just finished this. If you’re a Clinton fan it will probably throw you into fits of rage. I liked it.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

“Robert B. Parker’s Killing the Blues” by Michael Brandman. A Jesse Stone novel.

• Options

Summary: Researchers identified a small structure in the brain, the anterior precuneus or aPCu, as a crucial component in establishing our physical self or “I”.

The aPCu is part of a network of brain regions that integrate information regarding our location, motion, and bodily sensations to form our self-awareness. When electrical activity in the aPCu is disrupted, people experience altered perceptions of their position in the world.

The findings further our understanding of self-awareness and consciousness.

Key Facts:

The anterior precuneus (aPCu) in the brain plays a critical role in forming our physical sense of self or “I”, as revealed by Stanford Medicine.
    When activity in the aPCu is disrupted, people’s perceptions of their place in the world dramatically change, invoking feelings of depersonalization.
    The aPCu works as part of a network of brain regions that integrate various types of bodily information to create our self-awareness.
    Source: Stanford

Ever wonder where in your brain that interesting character called “I” lives? Stanford Medicine physician-scientist Josef Parvizi, MD, Ph.D., has news of its whereabouts.

https://neurosciencenews.com/self-awareness-brain-23515/

• Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wylaff said:

@Guitarded said:

The Gargoyle is the best book I have read in a long time.
    It’s amazing.

Ship of Magic (below it) was one of the best written fantasy novels i've ever read. You legitimately empathize with everyone, even the villians. I've got the second one on-deck for after I finish Warbreaker. Now I'll have to look into Gargoyle...

Be prepared to read Gargoyle without putting it down. It’s better if you don’t read the reviews or even what the story is. How it’s written, the subject, and character development are surprising. Unfortunately it’s the only book he has written.
    I read the Rain Wild chronicles several years ago and enjoyed them.

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.