Home Non Cigar Related

What are you reading?

Comments

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 18,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a backlog of AAAS Science magazines.
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

AN ABDUCTION AFFAIR by Daniel Chamberlain

this is definitely different than Dan's other two books that are westerns.

LONG SHOOTERS and BATTLE OF FORTUNE WELLS, are both period correct for facts and guns utilized. 

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Piers Anthony Xanth series and Apprentice Adept series.
    Robert Aspirin books.
    Anne Mcaffrey Dragon series.
    Stephen King Gunslinger series.

I still like those types of books.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My autographed copy of "Deplorables".
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm reading poetry done during WWI which is very poignant about expectations vs reality.
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Real Food  Fake Food by Larry Olmsted. 
    Why you don't know what you're eating & what you can do about it. 
    Real Kobe beef is only available at 2 places in the US, and lots of other great info on faked or imitation foods. 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bryan Cranston's biography 
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bishop's War.  Really good action thriller if you are into the Mitch Rapp / Jack Reacher type books.  The kindle version is free if you have Prime
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    High Profile by Robert B. Parker.
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last Words by Michael Koryta. Well written, nicely paced. Got three more by Koryta at the library to pick up.
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Attacks by Field Marshall Erwin Rommel aka "The Desert Fox." Great book written by the General himself after WWI, explaining his early years as a commander and how he revolutionized modern warfare.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Markwell said:
    Attacks by Field Marshall Erwin Rommel aka "The Desert Fox." Great book written by the General himself after WWI, explaining his early years as a commander and how he revolutionized modern warfare.
    Does he give any of the credit to Guderian?  Heinz Guderian wrote Panzer Leader.  I can't remember if he and Rommel worked more together, or more as rivals with the same ideas.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm listening to "Ender's Game Alive". It's very well done, and it's free if you have amazon prime.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amos_Umwhat said:
    Does he give any of the credit to Guderian?  Heinz Guderian wrote Panzer Leader.
    As of yet no, but I'm only about 100 pages into the book and they've just captured the Argonne from the French as far as Roman Road. Interestingly enough, the next book in my pile is indeed Panzer Leader! I don't see these two working against each other. I'm sure each had his own opinions and certain areas of expertise, but it's something I'll definitely keep an eye out for as I continue reading.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
    Hart's War by John Katzenbach. The book is different than the movie but a pretty good read.
    edited April 2017
    Markwell said:
    Amos_Umwhat said:
    Does he give any of the credit to Guderian?  Heinz Guderian wrote Panzer Leader.
    As of yet no, but I'm only about 100 pages into the book and they've just captured the Argonne from the French as far as Roman Road. Interestingly enough, the next book in my pile is indeed Panzer Leader! I don't see these two working against each other. I'm sure each had his own opinions and certain areas of expertise, but it's something I'll definitely keep an eye out for as I continue reading.
    It's been a loo--oong time, I read Panzer Leader when I was a tank gunner / Tank commander.  I was on the XO's tank, the gunner, which meant I usually functioned as tank commander.  We were transitioning from M-60 - the M-1's at the time.  Got my own tank in another unit a couple years later, back on M-60's.  It was a very turbulent time in my life, and I never got around to Rommel's books.  Maybe now that I'm older.  I think that Guderian was something of the fore-runner, between the two. 
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Martel said:

I've decided to try again and read through the Aubrey-Maturin series of Napoleonic naval stories by Patrick O'Brian.  Tried a few of them before, but out of order.  This time I'm being systematic.  I finished the first two and am now reading the third, H.M.S. Surprise.  
    Anent that, have you read the Horatio Hornblower series?
    Pretty sure I can hook you u-p with the whole series in paperback.

BTW, @Martel, I'm coming your way en route to FX Smith's Sons tomorrow. Want to make a vid of the murdersickle ride from Glen Rock thru Codorus. Then taking a whole crapload of product pics, gars on the machinery that made it. Hope to return with some of his CT Shade leaf, which is the best wrapper I have found. 

I'll PM you my cell. Maybe we can herf in Glen Rock again.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    webmost said:
    Martel said:

I've decided to try again and read through the Aubrey-Maturin series of Napoleonic naval stories by Patrick O'Brian.  Tried a few of them before, but out of order.  This time I'm being systematic.  I finished the first two and am now reading the third, H.M.S. Surprise.  
    Anent that, have you read the Horatio Hornblower series?
    Pretty sure I can hook you u-p with the whole series in paperback.

BTW, @Martel, I'm coming your way en route to FX Smith's Sons tomorrow. Want to make a vid of the murdersickle ride from Glen Rock thru Codorus. Then taking a whole crapload of product pics, gars on the machinery that made it. Hope to return with some of his CT Shade leaf, which is the best wrapper I have found. 

I'll PM you my cell. Maybe we can herf in Glen Rock again.
    Read Hornblower when I was younger and then again a few years ago when I lived in MS.  I've stalled on the O'Brian books since I need to buy the next one.  I got a lot of stuff to wade through for my birthday.  Lots of Star Wars manuals and guides from my kids.  The Leon Uris novel that was the bestseller the week I was born.  Some Peanuts collections. 

I've also picked-up some books from Eric Flint's 1632/Ring of Fire series.  Made it through 32, 33 and a couple of the 1634 books as well as a couple of the anthologies.  Several of these can be found for free.  I feel like I'm at a good stopping point right now and don't need to read more if I don't want to.  Still, they're kind of interesting.  The premise is a WV coal mining town gets transported from c. 1999-2000 to the seventeenth century and has to fight for its life in the middle of the thirty years war. 

I sent you a PM about the visit.  Easter Sunday will be busy, but if it's later we can figure out something.  Wait, it's only Friday, today.  I'm confused.  Okay, we can probably do something.  I've got an early meeting but should be free a good chunk of the day.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    The Whistler by John Grisham. Nice with coffee and a evening cigar.
  • ElJimboElJimbo Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    Finished Valley of the Dolls last week, currently reading Langston Hughes. Scriptures always at the ready.
    ¡Prefiero morir de pie que vivir siempre arrodillado! -General Zapata
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Insidious by Catherine Coulter.  It's an FBI series, an occupational hazard.
    edited April 2017
    Heart of Darkness, by Joseph Conrad (from which Apocalypse Now was adapted).
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The online news. Make the world go away.
    jd50ae said:
    The online news. Make the world go away.
    Stop it!!  You know you'll go blind if you keep doing it...

• RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just reread an incredible book by our own @First_Warrior
    If you haven't read it,you should. 
    My continuous audio book choice is The Dark Tower by Stephen King.....start with book 1-7 and start again......because Ka is a wheel
    Long days and pleasant nights,

Roland
    edited April 2017
    I just reread an incredible book by our own @First_Warrior
    If you haven't read it,you should. 
    My continuous audio book choice is The Dark Tower by Stephen King.....start with book 1-7 and start again......because Ka is a wheel
    Stephen King's the best, Blaine the riddle train! Have you read the Bachman books?

https://youtu.be/ZcoweoZ6jpM

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found a ten CD audiobook called Down River by John Hart. Good for long drives, already on disc 6. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    ElJimbo said:
    Heart of Darkness, by Joseph Conrad (from which Apocalypse Now was adapted).
    Scratch that, I shan't be reading Heart, but The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton.