Home Non Cigar Related

What are you reading?

Comments

• ScottTDawgScottTDawg Posts: 206 ✭✭
    In the middle of A Feast For Crows in GoT.  Took me awhile to get used to his style of writing but it's very unique.  Would like to start The Stormlight Archives by Brandon Sanderson containing Words of Radiance and The Way of Kings.  Also the books in the series A Pattern of Shadow & LIght containing Cephrael's Hand, The Dagger of Adendigaeth and Paths of Air by Melissa McPhail.  Anybody read these?

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I decided to start this series.  I also ordered up "secrets of the laSt ****"

Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just started -- Colossus: Hoover Dam and the Making of the American Century.
    So far so good.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Hey
    @avengethis

honestly, I haven't read many books that compare to Dan Brown's. He is pretty unique! Tho, there may be people out there who know more :)

That being said, Chrichton wrote good stuff (Jurrasic park, Sphere, etc). 

Maybe can make some recommendations based on what movies you like to watch. Historical fiction? Shaara or Pressfield. Sci-Fi? Heinlein, Ringo, or Card. Fantasy? Tolkien, Wolfe or Sanderson. Western? L'Amour, Cooper, or Gray.

There are a ton of classics out there too--The Count of Monte Cristo, Short Stories by Jack London or Hemingway, or even Sakespeare. 

There are a shiz ton of great books out there--I *really* enjoy the Caldecott and Newberry winners; I don't think much of the reading levels attached to books, if the story is good, I like it. Paulsen, L'Engle, LeGuinn, and so on.

I dig the themes of the stories. Funny thing, stories; a lot of stuff theme wise is thousands of years old, just re-told differently. We need look no further than Greek and Roman stories to see that. The language might be old fashioned, but older books are fun to read too. 

A book I read approx 7 years ago, and was disturbed enough to not yet pick it up again is Cornac McCarthy's "The Road". The movie was done after the book, and for me, the book kicked the movie's azzz. 

Probably more (and less) than you were looking for in an answer. Give "Timeline" by Michael Chrichton a read. Another one that beat the snot out of the Hollywood interpretation.

As to what I am reading right now, I am reading "Butch Cassidy Was Here, Historic Inscriptions of the Colorado Plateau".

Pretty fascinating, actually.

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
    Hey @ScottTDawg The Stormlight is stellar. Thick books, but fantastic storytelling!

Sanderson does not kick the crap out of your spirit like GRR Martin does. I swear that old dude simply likes to fark with his readers, lol
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jarubla this book I'm reading now is a lot lime Dan Brown.  It's the first in the series and I think there are 10 in the series.  I'd check it out. 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Ssirota8Ssirota8 Posts: 11
    Almost finished with Fresh Off The Boat...good memoir of an Asian growing up during the 90s. It's a good read for anyone interested in food, 90s rap, 90s sports, and 90s urban culture. 
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Terry Goodkinds Wizards First Rule. 
    The Sling by Jeff Voth
    One God, One Truth
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

no matter where you go, there you are.

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stone Cold by CJ Box. I have read all of his works.
  • GuitarCentaurGuitarCentaur Posts: 21
    Wraith by joe hill right now. his style is similar to that of his father's (Stephen king) but in an illustrated novel format. Pretty wicked.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Finished what there is of Song of Ice and Fire recently.  I'm a late bloomer, but once I start, things progress quickly.

Started a book about what pastors need to know about domestic abuse.

And am reading a sci-fi novel by Nancy Kress called Probability Moon.  I really enjoyed her "Sleepless" books so thought I'd branch out.  So far it's good. 
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just finished "Seeking The Face of God" by Martin Lloyd Jones".  One of the best looks at certain Psalms regarding assurance, comfort, and finding one's place in His world.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    The Wizard by Gene Wolfe. Gene Wolfe is who GRR Martin wishes he could be :)

-Jay
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    The Inner Circle
    The Fifth Assasin
    The President's Shadow

by Brad Meltzer

Pretty decent books, not as good as James Rollins or Steve Berry with the historical fiction thing, but good none the less.  A little different take because the protagonist is not your super killer athlete or super sleuth, he's just an archivist who is smart and has flaws.  
    I am not a big reader but need to try and start reading more.  The only books I have really read are the Dan Brown books (The Da Vinci Code, Angels & Demons, Inferno, The Lost symbol, Deception Point, Digital Fortress).  

I need some suggestions on something to pick up that might be a similar style that can help me start reading more.
    just saw this......you will like James Rollins, Steve Berry, and raymond khoury.  If you like the templar stuff then you will like Paul Christopher's templar series.

Rollins start with Sandstorm and Map of Bones and that will set the stage for the characters pretty well

Steve Berry you are already on the right track just keep following the series

Raymond Khoury The Last Templar is the first in a series but i liked The Sanctuary and The Sign which are stand alone books, but really good.

Paul Christopher starts at The Sword of the Templars.

The way i found books that i ended up liking was to go to Amazon and type in the book you like and then at the bottom it says customers who bought this also bought and i went through that.

You might also like Clive Cussler, Brad Thor, and David Baldacci if you like the military involvement aspect of things when you go through the other books

If you like more of the end of the world because of something from the past or make believe but could be real type thing then go Mathew Riley, Preston & Child books, or Chris Kuzneski.

• roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have a Malazan Book of the Fallen: Gardens of the Moon that they would let me borrow?
    One God, One Truth
    Finished up Big Maria by Johnny Shaw last week.....

Funny, thrilling, violent adventure where three buddies come up with a harebrained scheme to find an abandoned gold mine in the middle of the army's proving grounds.
    Got a little predictable towards the very end but it was a fast & entertaining read none the less.

And just picked up Killing Pretty (Sandman Slim #7) by Richard Kadrey.
    Been waiting for this one to come out; love this series.

• EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cloud Atlas
  • ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Problems in Contract Law: Cases and Materials
    Currently reading an older barker book . SOLE SURVIVOR . Pretty decent read so far

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Problems in Contract Law: Cases and Materials
    @expendable Have fun. Lol!  I'll be reading various articles on Industrial Organization and Cameron and Trevedi's Microeconometrics, as well as figuring out a dissertation topic..

LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    or perhaps it was this one @SecretSquirrel ?
    lol, don't feel bad.....only reason i found it is i remembered a book i had posted about here and had to look through my old posts to find it (search software sucks haha)

umm let's see. 

Sandman slim Killing Pretty was good.  Read that on vacation a couple months ago; really like that series.

Then I picked up the "jimmy veeder fiasco" series by johnny shaw. 
    Only 2 books have been written so far (can't wait for the next one) --- dove season & plaster city were good, quick reads.  could hardly put them down. 

Now I'm on the "junior bender" series by Timothy Hallinan.  The books star Junior, who's LA's "top crook", a thief's thief if you will, he also does PI work for crooks.  The first book in the series "crashed" took me a little while to get into, but i ended up liking it.  I'm on the second book "little elvises" now, enjoying it much more than the first. 

reading the Dresden Files...pretty awesome series.
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bridge Over The River Kwai by Pierre Boulle 1952. I remember the 1957 film version.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Bridge Over The River Kwai by Pierre Boulle 1952. I remember the 1957 film version.
    Read that and Planet of the Apes in HS.  I don't think I have them any more, but I'll dig around.  Really enjoyed Bridge.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."

Reading Kings new book of short stories Bazaar of bad dreams. pretty good so far

• KeiranKeiran Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Finished the Wheel of Time recently. I now need to find a new series. Dresden has been mentioned more than once. I also have to start reading some Japanese Light Novels to actually practice reading in Japanese.