Home Non Cigar Related

What are you reading?

Comments

• LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    American Lion, biography of Andrew Jackson by Jon Meacham. Excellent so far. I love biographies of Revolutionary and Civil War era figures (he's in between, but much of what happened in his era led to the Civil War).
  • PederPeder Posts: 13
    TatuajeVI:
    I started "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayan Rand a few weeks ago. I'll finish it in about 17 years. Holy crap this book is long, lol.
    Atlas Shrugged. That's next on my "add to Kindle" list. I just read Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead and loved it. I also read Anthem like a year ago (very quick read- one of Ayn Rand's shorter books). I can't wait. I'd like to finish the complete Sherlock Holmes series before I start Atlas Shrugged though.
  • PederPeder Posts: 13
    Kamelyon:
    stephen_hannibal:
    I'm reading the Zombie Survival Guide.

I've got that sitting on my bookshelf waiting for a rainy day.
    I've got the Zombie Survival Guide on my shelf as well. I peruse through it every now and then. There's a zombie movie coming out soon based on the book "Pride & prejudice & zombies." It should be interesting.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Peder:
    Kamelyon:
    stephen_hannibal:
    I'm reading the Zombie Survival Guide.

I've got that sitting on my bookshelf waiting for a rainy day.
    I've got the Zombie Survival Guide on my shelf as well. I peruse through it every now and then. There's a zombie movie coming out soon based on the book "Pride & prejudice & zombies." It should be interesting.

What is Pride & prejudice & zombies? Cause if it's the same story with zombies no thanks... I thought it was lame the first time around.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    good book....weird but good
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I just got done with Way of the Peaceful Warrior. Now I'm on to The Lost Symbol.
  • undulac:
    Right now, nothing. It's tough for me to read in the winter. Long hours, loud kids, and can't get outside because it's too cold. I did however just purchase A Salty Piece of Land by Jimmy Buffett for my beach trip in June. I have a trip coming up in about a month to Miami so I'll have to make a run to the book store. I'll probably pick up another Cross series book by James Paterson. Can't go wrong with that in my eyes.
    I have this book and have read it twice.... Just seeing it mentioned on here makes me want to read it again. Great read as most of Jimmy's stuff is.
  • j0z3r:
    I've been reading The Rainmaker by John Grisham for the past few days. I like pretty much anything he writes, and I'm really liking this one. His novels are so much better than the movie adaptations.
    Im a huge Grisham fan and have read a lot(I would say most but it seems like I find more and more all the time) The Rainmaker is another good one by Grisham. I just finished The Innocent Man. If you havnt read it I highly recommend it next.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    d_nowell:
    j0z3r:
    I've been reading The Rainmaker by John Grisham for the past few days. I like pretty much anything he writes, and I'm really liking this one. His novels are so much better than the movie adaptations.
    Im a huge Grisham fan and have read a lot(I would say most but it seems like I find more and more all the time) The Rainmaker is another good one by Grisham. I just finished The Innocent Man. If you havnt read it I highly recommend it next.
    I read that one a little while ago actually. It was a different sort of novel, obviously not quite Grisham-esque as it was a true story, but a good read and a sobering look at how justice can go so wrong.

I've been reading quite a few of his novels recently, and the more I read the more I appreciate his brand of story telling. I never would have thought a book about suing a pharmaceutical company could be interesting until I read The King of Torts, and I'll be damned if I couldn't put that one down.
  • j0z3r:
    d_nowell:
    j0z3r:
    I read that one a little while ago actually. It was a different sort of novel, obviously not quite Grisham-esque as it was a true story, but a good read and a sobering look at how justice can go so wrong.

I've been reading quite a few of his novels recently, and the more I read the more I appreciate his brand of story telling. I never would have thought a book about suing a pharmaceutical company could be interesting until I read The King of Torts, and I'll be damned if I couldn't put that one down.
    That is a great one... I have a lot of his novels if there is one particular one you are looking for PM me and if I have it and have read it Ill send it to you...
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    d_nowell:
    j0z3r:

I'm a huge Grisham fan as well but I just couldn't get through The Innocent Man.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    d_nowell:
    j0z3r:
    d_nowell:
    j0z3r:

That is a great one... I have a lot of his novels if there is one particular one you are looking for PM me and if I have it and have read it Ill send it to you...
    Thanks for the offer. I usually just head down to the little used book store in my local library, they have a large selection of Grisham and the paperbacks go for $.50 each...needless to say, I walk away with an armload of books every time I go there and it doesn't set me back but $5...I love that place.
  • j0z3r:
    d_nowell:
    j0z3r:
    d_nowell:
    j0z3r:

Thanks for the offer. I usually just head down to the little used book store in my local library, they have a large selection of Grisham and the paperbacks go for $.50 each...needless to say, I walk away with an armload of books every time I go there and it doesn't set me back but $5...I love that place.
    I get them the same way at a local book store I generally get the harbacks for like 2$. I couldnt agree more with you on The Innocent Man, it definitely steps out of the norm for Grisham but its a great read.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    madurofan:
    I just got done with Way of the Peaceful Warrior. Now I'm on to The Lost Symbol.

I finished the lost symbol last week.

Pretty much the same formula Dan Brown uses on every book. He is entertaining though. I read it in three sittings, so I kept my attention.

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just finished Stephen King's "Under the Dome" which was long, but I really enjoyed it. Last night, I started on Baldacci's "The Whole Truth" it seems pretty good so far. I've read all his books and I really like his style.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I re-read books all the time...you can always find something new.

Re-reading "Dereliction of Duty". I think everyone should read this book.....
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reading Crais now. Robert Crais? Elvis Cole series and then onto Joe Pike series. Kind of dated in the beginning with people having to stop at gas stations to use payphones and all but I like his style. Keeps me wanting to read.
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Currently just started reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. Read most of his other stuff and he is great!
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    half way thru this..so far meh. photo IMG_0569_zps6a14c6d2.jpg
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    Something that is boring as crap to most people.

"Corporate Finance, Portfolio Management, and Equity Investments" by Kaplan Schweser
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    Reading Crais now. Robert Crais? Elvis Cole series and then onto Joe Pike series. Kind of dated in the beginning with people having to stop at gas stations to use payphones and all but I like his style. Keeps me wanting to read.
    Crais in one of my go to authors. I you like him you will like C J Box. Box's main character is Joe Picket, a Montana game warden.I usually have 4 or 5 library books checked out a any given time.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am trying to read First Warrior's book, "Stained with the Mud of Khe Sanh", but it seems that I have developed a reading problem and it is driving me crazy. I am making an appointment with the Eye Doctor and am hoping it is my 5 year old glasses. I really want to read his book since it is my generations story and I have made it a point to read everything I can. Had some buddy's that were there (they all came home), and one Marine in particular, like a lot of guys, really would not talk about it.
  • WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Just finished NOS4A2, and now starting Horns, both by Joe Hill.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Back to working through Terry Pratchett's discworld series, something I've picked up on and off for years. Currently finishing up The Last Continent.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looking forward to sandman slim #6 --- The Getaway God.
    already got it on reserve at the library, hoping they'll have it in next week.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WaltBasil:
    Just finished NOS4A2, and now starting Horns, both by Joe Hill.
    read them both excellent books!!!i hear they are making a movie adaptation of horns!!
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The What Are You Reading thread in the NCR forum...
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    "Headhuntes on My Doorstep" by Maarten Troost. I've read his other books and enjoyed them, this one is part about his trek following Robert Louis Stevenson's path through the South Pacific and part about his recovery from alcoholism.
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Reading a Michael Jecks series that is a lot like a medieval Sherlock Holmes. Only except Watson is a Bada## in this one! LOL, anyone else read any of his stuff?