Home General Discussion
Options

What's your SHTF cigar?

xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
We've all been there - you walked outside in the morning and stepped in dog ***, your ride to work took 3 hours due to traffic congestion, that thing you were working on blew up in your face and now the boss is reading you the riot act and you've got a sneaking suspicion you might be fired, your co-workers are **** and today they're even worse, and on the ride home you ran over your neighbors' kids' bike and now the car needs to go into the shop and you need to buy junior a new bike because his parents never taught him to put his toys away - in short, it's been a really **** day.

So my question to you is - when the *** hits the fan, what cigar do you light up to unwind from a day like this?
There's only one rule - the cigar has to be in your humi now. This ain't some fantasy cigar, it's gotta be one that you've got in your possession. So which would it be?

Mine - my very last Cohiba tubo from a box that was a birthday present

Comments

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I don't have a sh*t cigar but I do try to have a really nice cigar after a crappy day. Problem is, lately work has been crap so it's hard to discern which day is worse. I've been trying to smoke a LFD mysterio oscuro but I keep getting home too late. Hopefully today but I have no idea.
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    xmacro:
    We've all been there - you walked outside in the morning and stepped in dog ***, your ride to work took 3 hours due to traffic congestion, that thing you were working on blew up in your face and now the boss is reading you the riot act and you've got a sneaking suspicion you might be fired, your co-workers are **** and today they're even worse, and on the ride home you ran over your neighbors' kids' bike and now the car needs to go into the shop and you need to buy junior a new bike because his parents never taught him to put his toys away - in short, it's been a really **** day.

So my question to you is - what cigar do you light up to unwind from a day like this?
    There's only one rule - the cigar has to be in your humi now. This ain't some fantasy cigar, it's gotta be one that you've got in your possession. So which would it be?

Mine - my very last Cohiba tubo from a box that was a birthday present

first... wow... I hope your day gets better...
    for me... based on what I have now... I'd go with Casa Magna Colorado Robusto... I have a DPG My Father and a few Ashton's resting, but I've never had them, so I can't pick one of them
  • Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    I would honestly grab a La Herencia Cubana, Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet, or a Padilla Habano because after a day like that, I would want some normalcy back in my life and these are my three everday cigars.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Depends on the day. Padilla 1932, A. Fernandez sig. Maduro, Casa Magna Belicosa or Robusto, GOF, Padron 1926 Anniversary, Ashton VSG or ESG, LFD double ligero chisel, etc... Lucily I have lots to choose from, so no matter what the day went like, I have something for it.
  • Options
    BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    It needs to be full flavored. Something like MoW, MoW Ruination, Cu-Avano Intenso, 5 Vegas AAA, Diesel, 5 Vegas CSII...something like that. Nothing mild or even medium (maybe med-full bodied)...but preferably full bodied and full flavored.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    One of three cigars I keep on-hand at all times: Rocky Patel Decade Toro, Ashton VSG Torpedo, or an Alec Bradley Tempus (preferably Quadrum). Those cigars always hit the spot, and they are cigars that don't really need to be aged that much. You can buy any of these three at a B&M, smoke it immediately, and it will be a good cigar. I would include the Alec Bradley Pryme in there, but they no longer make it.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Considering my recent rediscovery of a love for connies, I'd probably reach for something like a RP 1999...unfortunately, I have none right now so that doesn't count. Sooo.. I'd probably go with a whatever caught my eye that day (and a few rum and cokes).
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    Tabacos Baez Favorito, gonna have to restock soon.
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Has to be full-bodied as someone previously mentioned. For me, it'd be either a Diesel, Relic, or MOW Ruination. Those are my three go-to's.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Prolly a Decade - shat is SHTF?
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Fourtotheflush:
    Prolly a Decade - shat is SHTF?
    SHTF = *** hits the fan
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    got it, still the decade.
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    After a crappy day like that, it would have to be a Cuban H. Upman Magnum 50 that's been aging since spring of 2008. I have 16 of them left, and I may be down to 15 in a couple hours from now.

• Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    camgfs:
    After a crappy day like that, it would have to be a Cuban H. Upman Magnum 50 that's been aging since spring of 2008. I have 16 of them left, and I may be down to 15 in a couple hours from now.

PM sent
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Well it really depends on my mood and what I have one hand to drink, but one of my favorite go to cigars when I'm having a craptastic or fucktacular day is the Cabaiguan Corona Extra. Always has perfect flavor and is is a great cigar to relax with. I've never had any burn or draw issues with them so they don't require a lot of attention.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Interesting question. For me, something I know is not going to add to my frustrations by being badly constructed. Probably something familiar -- an "old friend." So, in my humi, that would be a Don Carlos, Ashton VSG, Monte White, or maybe an R&J Reserva Real.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    One cigar I can always count on after a crappy or tiring day is the La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet #1 lonsdale. It is hands down my favorite cigar and every time I have one it just makes all the bad vibes go away.
  • Options
    Which reminds me: the Perdomo ESV '91 would also be on my list.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    j0z3r:
    One cigar I can always count on after a crappy or tiring day is the La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet #1 lonsdale. It is hands down my favorite cigar and every time I have one it just makes all the bad vibes go away.

Second that one ...
  • Options
    jacketsrulejacketsrule Posts: 401
    The El Primer Mundo Rosado Oscuro Perfecto is my go to after a stressful day. I have burned a lot of them lately!
  • Options
    urbino:
    Yeppers, that's indeed a good one. More of an anytime, anywhere kind of smoke for me though.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd probably reach for one of my MoW Limited Edition Salomon's, one of my last Tarazona Classic Torpedo's, or perhaps something simple that I know I'm gonna enjoy and not have to pay much attention to like an Oliveros XL Bold Toro.
  • Options
    Stryker808Stryker808 Posts: 269
    AF Hemi classic or signature. Its just a smooth smoke that I have been enjoying for years. Old reliable. Always lifts me back up and gets me back on my feet.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Usually when I have a day like that I feel like something punishing. It's either a MoW Ruination or an RP Edge Maduro. Days like that are what got me into full bodied smokes.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    Yeppers, that's indeed a good one. More of an anytime, anywhere kind of smoke for me though.
    Yeah, well, like I said, I'd go for something familiar and reliable.

I second the Hemingway, too.
  • Options
    urbino:
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    I definitely agree with you on familiar and reliable, I haven't come across many cigars more reliable than the ESV...actually, Perdomo is pretty solid across the board for reliability. When I want a hassle free cigar I'll reach for something Perdomo about 7 times out of 10.
  • Options
    ljlljl Posts: 819
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    I definitely agree with you on familiar and reliable, I haven't come across many cigars more reliable than the ESV...actually, Perdomo is pretty solid across the board for reliability. When I want a hassle free cigar I'll reach for something Perdomo about 7 times out of 10.
    I would go to "old reliable" too. Perdomo is top notch like that... I would grab a CAO gold maduro. After all of that, I just want to know what I'm going to get (and that I enjoy).
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    The ESV and the 10th Aniv Maduro are really the only 2 Perdomo smokes I even care for. I've tried several but they seem to have a similar flavor profile I just am not too wild about... Not sure what it is though.
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    The ESV and the 10th Aniv Maduro are really the only 2 Perdomo smokes I even care for. I've tried several but they seem to have a similar flavor profile I just am not too wild about... Not sure what it is though.
    Well Jason, it's obviously your taste in cigars....or lack thereof. Big Smile [:D]

Just messin. I've run across quite a few people that don't really care for Perdomo for one reason or another. Like I always say, different smokes for different folks. I'll try not to hold it against you, but it will be hard since I'm totally gay for Perdomo. (I dare someone to make a crack at that Smile [:)])
  • Options
    bama3715bama3715 Posts: 89
    Man O' War Ruination