Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Tea

First it was wine. Then it was cigars. Now it's tea. I am hooked on the stuff. I have all but quit drinking coffee and constantly have a cup of tea in front of me. Not the crappy bagged tea but high quality full leaf teas. Does anybody else have this affliction?

Comments

• Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Heck Yes!!!
    I kinda got into it when my mom became a certified tea something-or-other...What's your favorite blend?
    I have this long standing love for jasmine dragon phoenix pearl... great aromatic white tea.

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Yeah, I got hooked; I have a cast-iron testsubin, and about 5 tins of loose-leaf green tea. I drink coffee every morning and enjoy a cigar when I can, but tea is something that's really good for winding down when you can't enjoy a nice cigar.

EDIT - Right on Stephen!! Jasmine Dragon Phoenix Pearl was the tea that got me hooked!!

• Options
    MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    I LOVE tea!

Gunpowder has been my favorite green for a few weeks now. I've also been hooked on Pu-erh recently. I've been wanting to try some white tea for awhile now.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Love tea...there is a local lady here that blends her own teas..called herbal sage that blends teas to be sold at local vendors..

I like her herbal teas best, she has a blend called 420 tea she blends for a "smoking accessories" shop in Athens, OH that I dig. A spearmint tea with orange peal and other great herbals that are suppose to help with that wintery cough. It's naturally sweet and refreshing for a warm beverage in the winter months.
  • Options
    JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    with my English roots I'm a sucker for an afternoon cuppa of a nice dry assam tea. yes I do add a little milk to it.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Jdorais:
    with my English roots I'm a sucker for an afternoon cuppa of a nice dry assam tea. yes I do add a little milk to it.
    Well rock the heck on

I have slowly been developing a taste for tea, but being such a fan of coffee, I've found it slow going. I miss the texture and punch of flavor from coffee when I'm indulging in tea, but then again, I also have moods that I'd prefer tea. Not to mention, I have a total English fetish so that's a whole thing on it's own.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    Hays:
    Jdorais:
    Well rock the heck on

I have slowly been developing a taste for tea, but being such a fan of coffee, I've found it slow going. I miss the texture and punch of flavor from coffee when I'm indulging in tea, but then again, I also have moods that I'd prefer tea. Not to mention, I have a total English fetish so that's a whole thing on it's own.
    I have an English fetish for Kate Beckinsale. That's beside the point though.

I like a cup of tea now and then. I'm a sucker for a good cup of Chai.
  • Options
    Matt Marvel:
    Hays:
    Jdorais:
    Well rock the heck on

I have an English fetish for Kate Beckinsale. That's beside the point though.

I like a cup of tea now and then. I'm a sucker for a good cup of Chai.
    Oh god yes....She's definitely in the top 3 hottest female celebs for me... And I love chai as well, both hot and cold.

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    right now i have about 10 blends in my kitchen. Ive been going to teavana. it is the only place i can find in the area that sells loose teas.
  • Options
    I usually shop at Spice and Tea Exchange or Adaigo; both are good places to shop too; Spice/Tea I know is a franchise that has stores all over, so there may be one in your area
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    I love milk in tea..most folks think it is unusual...but it tastes great.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a whole cabinet full of teas, both loose tea and bagged tea. Not quite the aficianado that my sister is, but I definately enjoy a nice cup several times a week. Speaking of which, think I'll have one right now!
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    xmacro:
    Yeah, I got hooked; I have a cast-iron testsubin!!

I had to read that twice...
  • Options
    cabinetmaker:
    xmacro:
    Yeah, I got hooked; I have a cast-iron testsubin!!

I had to read that twice...
    Ah, a mispelling - it's spelled tetsubin (pronounced - TET-SU-BEE-N); it's a cast iron pot that's used in the Japanese tea ceremony. Originally they were put over a fire, but these days, they can't go on the stove unless they're specifically made for it; otherwise they're just used to hold the hot water and make same very nice tea. They sell them at Teavana, but you can get them cheaper elsewhere (the same can be said of anything Teavana sells - they royally rip you off). Anyway, here's a pic of a tetsubin:
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Since iam not a coffee fan .............. i do find refuge in a nice cup o tea ........... iam infact right now enjoying some chai tea ......... mmmmmmmmmmmm yummy
  • Options
    jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    kuzi16:
    right now i have about 10 blends in my kitchen. Ive been going to teavana. it is the only place i can find in the area that sells loose teas.
    Kuzi, I used to buy a lot of tea from Teavana but I searched around a little more and found The Tao of Tea in Portland, Oregon. You won't find a host of fruit flavored teas but you will find the finest traditional teas. I am drinking a 100% organic Darjeeling right now and it is outstanding.

taooftea.com
  • Options
    stephen_hannibal:
    Heck Yes!!!
    I kinda got into it when my mom became a certified tea something-or-other...What's your favorite blend?
    I have this long standing love for jasmine dragon phoenix pearl... great aromatic white tea.

My favorite blend really depends on what time of day it is. In the morning I like a hearty Irish breakfast or English breakfast blend. Later on in the afternoon I will switch up to a lighter brew like a Darjeeling. My wife does not care for the strong blends so if I am sharing a pot with her I will make a white tea. Teavana has a peach scented blossoming white trea that is really good.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I second adagio.com. Their prices are great and the shipping is incredibly fast. I've ordered at 4pm on a Friday and received my tea the next day without paying for overnight shipping. Been a loyal customer of theirs for a while and highly recommend them.

Favorite is Silver Needle (white), though I love a good ceylon (black), gunpowder (green) or pu-erh, depending on my mood. Some of the blooming teas are great conversation pieces as well.
  • Options
    MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    Rob1110:
    I second adagio.com. Their prices are great and the shipping is incredibly fast. I've ordered at 4pm on a Friday and received my tea the next day without paying for overnight shipping. Been a loyal customer of theirs for a while and highly recommend them.

I love Adagio too, but never, EVER buy anything glass from them.
  • Options
    Ok so I made the mistake of having some tea at around 11pm last night.... I was up till freaking 5am

• Options
    Hays:
    Ok so I made the mistake of having some tea at around 11pm last night.... I was up till freaking 5am
    Odd...I can drink tea while in bed and go straight to sleep.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Drinking some Mighty Leaf- Vanilla Bean.
    So far so good.

• Options
    Hays:
    I did the same thing last week - didn't sleep all night due to the caffeine in it
  • Options
    Had some Moroccan Mint from Tao of Tea last night. I don't normally sweeten my tea but this stuff just screams for a bit of sugar. It's delicious.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a problem guys.....

I hate coffee - dirt filtered through underwear taste

I hate beer - piss filtered through underwear

I hate tea - makes me want to throw up

This really bothers me. I can't stand dry wine but have started liking sweet wine. Well, I like Moscato. Haven't had any others I like. I really want to like tea because of the health benefits from it.
  • Options
    jsnake,

I happen to really enjoy all those things you mentioned above. For the purpose of this thread I will focus on tea.

Tea is such a broad reaching beverage. You can get lightly flavored fruit scented teas all the way to a deep rich robust Irish breakfast tea and an entire spectrum of choices between. It's very similar to cigars. both are made from the leaves of a plant that has been grown and processed in a specific way to give the final product a certain characteristic. Some people love maduro cigars. Some people love black tea. Some people prefer green tea. Some people prefer Connecticut shade wrappers. Some people like their tea sweetened. Some people like infused cigars.

The world of tea is endless. There are unlimited possibilities and there are bound to be teas out there that you will enjoy. Remember, it's the world's second most popular beverage behind water.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    It's off the tea topic, but Jsnake, if you like moscato, try icewine. It's expensive, but a great sweet white wine. I hate white wine too but love moscato and really love icewine.

As for tea, go with the high grade stuff, try a whole leaf white tea or even a black tea like a ceylon tea. Make sure you steep it ONLY for the recommended time (black goes 2-3 min max and white is more like 3-5 min), otherwise it'll get bitter on you. Also, same as coffee - don't use boiling water - it'll burn the tea/coffee. One of my biggest pet peeves (with tea anyway) is watching people drink tea with the tea bag just sitting in the cup the entire time. I don't get how you can drink such bitter tea.
  • Options
    Yeah I got to say I love Tea as well. I've been on this ICE Tea kick for a while. There is a Japanese company called "ITO EN" which has some awesome teas. They have a bunch of ICE Tea's, unsweeten, called "Tea's Tea". Here are the flavors they have, Pure Green, Green Jasmine, Mint Green, Green White, Lemongrass Green, and Rose Green. As you can see they have a nice hint of flavor wrapped around a green tea base. The company also offers "Fruit Tea" which is just amazing! They are basically Black Tea which is also flavored. They have Mango, Apple, Blue Berry, and Peach. I've tried them all and they all just have a touch of flavor which mixes well with the black tea. Really a great company and even better awesome tea. Look em up!
  • Options
    Think I already said this, but here's the URL for my top two favorite places for buying whole lear/loose leaf tea:
    http://www.spiceandtea.com/
    http://www.adagio.com/

• Options
    Just got a pound of Yunnan Noir from Adagio yesterday. Good stuff.