Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Tea

Comments

• Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Bringing it back...
    I had a cup of Earl Grey tea this morning with my Drew Estates Natural Root.
    It was pretty good. I'm going to try to pair more smokes with more teas.

• Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I'm a huge tea fan! I mainly drink yerba mate tea. I def have been thinking of trying to pair cigars with the different teas I enjoy. In fact I have a cup of Numi Organic Rainforest Green Mate Lemon Myrtle Green Tea. I always bring it or some Guayaki yerba mate with me to work.
  • Options
    Having a cup of Ito En Green tea and sweet god it's delicious....

• Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Can't add much to the conversation, I do love tea but down here you know it is all iced tea!
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    bbc020:
    Love tea...there is a local lady here that blends her own teas..called herbal sage that blends teas to be sold at local vendors..

I like her herbal teas best, she has a blend called 420 tea she blends for a "smoking accessories" shop in Athens, OH that I dig. A spearmint tea with orange peal and other great herbals that are suppose to help with that wintery cough. It's naturally sweet and refreshing for a warm beverage in the winter months.

OH MAN Maureen and I dated I know her teas well. She is the Best. I talked to her yesterday as a matter of fact. She is developing a tea for My Mother in Law for her Cancer. My wife and I have over 30 kinds of teas . every Night we have a Cup of tea ! Rea goes well with Maduro Cigars!
  • Options
    DNCDNC Posts: 4
    I have been interested in Tea for some time now, but have been unable to find any good tea forums. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    DNC:
    I have been interested in Tea for some time now, but have been unable to find any good tea forums. Any suggestions?
    I have a feeling that tea forums would be populated by old ladies.

• Options
    DNCDNC Posts: 4
    One day I might like old ladys:) I did find a forum on tea a couple of years back, but when I went back to the address it was gone. I'll just keep looking. The tea thing is interesting subject. You guys renewed my interests.
  • Options
    BTW welcome to the forums.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i just brewed a cup of full leaf oolong tea. it hasnt cooled enough to drink yet, but it will be fine by the time i get a cigar lit.
  • Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    I love what few teas I've tried, and I really want to get in to brewing tea and what not. Does anybody have any experience with these?

It looks like it would fulfill my wants and desires of brewing and I can do it while I'm at work especially since I alone will be enjoying the tea. We don't have a stove or anything here at work, but we have a coffee machine that dispenses wicked hot water, so I believe this little contraption will hit the spot.

Thoughts and opinions always appreciated.
  • Options
    i have the same thing but from Teavana. CLICK
    I love it. it makes it very easy to have one cup of tea and you never have to worry about getting leaves in your mouth.
  • Options
    I have one of those as well but I rarely use it.

• Options
    Sweet, I'm totally getting one. I'm excited to brew my own tea and experience more wonderful taste sensations.
  • Options
    The cool thing about it is you can do awesome looking blooming teas.

• Options
    loose tea does expand quite a bit so this is (in my mind) the perfect medium for brewing tea. all the room for the leaves to expand, none of the last sip pulp in your mouth.
  • Options
    jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    I've got two of those tea pots: the quart size from Teavana at the house; and a 16 oz. pot from Amanzi Tea here in the office. I use the one in the office at least twice a day.
  • Options
    I just got a pound of loose leaf Ceylon Sonata from Adagio. It's a good brew...very clean taste. I think it would make a great iced-tea.
  • Options
    So I am back home in Oregon now for a couple of weeks.

I had to throw a bit more business towards the local Tao of Tea folks. I picked up a 3.5 oz. tin of Emperors Gold. It's a black tea that actually turned gold during the processing of the leaves. The tea is outstanding. It has a lush mouthfeel and no hint of bitterness. Great stuff. It is a little pricey though.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Well, just got back from Teavana (yeah, I know - they're way overpriced but I needed a break from studying) and I picked up some Golden Monkey, Gyokuro Imperial, and Silver Needle (yeah, I'm a total **** whenever they advertise tea as "the best green/white/black tea available" - I always fall for dumb tea promo's)

Anyway, the gyokuro is really nice - good flavor, but very mild, even though it's been steeping for about an hour and a half in my tetsubin (cast iron tea pot), the flavor hasn't gotten harsh or bitter. I hear the Golden Monkey is much stronger, so that should be interesting later on tonight with a cigar :)
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Best tea for waking up in my opinion is either Earl Grey or loose leaf Oolong tea. White tea is great throughout the day. Jasmine or rose hip green tea is my fav for relaxation. When I was in Taiwan, tea was horrendously cheap and high quality. If you're in San Franscico, I suggest going to Chinatown and finding Blest Tea. Reminds me of Taiwan's tea. Small shop, but possibly the best you'll get stateside. Try out their Brown rice green tea or their mango green tea. Oh! And free sampling. They let me sit there and sample almost everything in the store.
  • Options
    Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    Milo's sweet tea is where it's at. You Yankees ain't got no clue how good it is!!!
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Alex Williams:
    Milo's sweet tea is where it's at. You Yankees ain't got no clue how good it is!!!
    Once again we agree. I don't know what Milo's is, but I do know they ONLY kinda tea in the south is sweet tea. There ain't nothing fancy about it, and that's fine with me. Lipton family sized bags - brew 6 bags to make a gallon of tea, add about 1 and 1/3 cup of sugar, let refrigerate. If I wanna get fancy, I put a small bunch of mint leaves in it in the summer. Can't beat it.
  • Options
    Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    cholmes8310:
    Alex Williams:
    Once again we agree. I don't know what Milo's is, but I do know they ONLY kinda tea in the south is sweet tea. There ain't nothing fancy about it, and that's fine with me. Lipton family sized bags - brew 6 bags to make a gallon of tea, add about 1 and 1/3 cup of sugar, let refrigerate. If I wanna get fancy, I put a small bunch of mint leaves in it in the summer. Can't beat it.
    It's a chain restaraunt fast food place. Best burgers and fries in terms of fast food. The also sell their sweet tea in pretty much ANY supermarket down here by the gallon. It is the only sweet tea for me!
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    I wouldn't say I am into tea on any level. But when I am sick I love green tea. And I have been known to enjoy a cup of Earl grey on occasion.
  • Options
    jihiggs:
    I wouldn't say I am into tea on any level. But when I am sick I love green tea. And I have been known to enjoy a cup of Earl grey on occasion.
    if you are buying boxed bags then you are missing out. the real deal is much better.

loose leaf tea is to long filler premiums as bagged tea is to white owl.
  • Options
    MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Having been raised on the other side of the big pond where hot tea has always been the staple instead of coffee, I must admit I am still partial to the stuff.

I still like my coffee in the morning and most times you see me walk into a Starbucks, you'll see me walk out with a coffee, but in the evening at home you will see me winding down with a hot mug (yes, even at this time of year) of Tea, either Tetley or some 'Coffee Day' brand that I brought back from India last year; together with a good stick of tobacco; on my patio. Incidently, Coffee Day is the Indian version of Starbucks.

And sorry you purists, it's usually bagged tea, it's more convenient, and you just have to make sure you (a.) Warm the pot real good; (b. ) Pour boiling, not, was boiled two minutes ago, water into the pot; (c.) Stir real good; (d.) Let stand for 3 - 4 minutes; then you won't find as much of a difference with loose tea. Apart from the very strong British Tetley tea, the Coffee Day came in flavors such as Assam, Marsala, Elachi and ginger. I like them all.

As far as I am concerned you drink it with milk and sugar, else you are a heathen, and I can't get into these flowery, nancy boy, 'flavored' teas, it's like smoking an Acid Blondie.
  • Options
    So I ordered an assortment of tea's to try out last week and now I have a new favorite tes. It was from Adagio teas... It's called Lapsang Souchong and it's the most amazing tea I've ever had. It smells and tastes like English pipe tobacco. It's amazing!! It's incredible!! But probably not for the faint of heart. It's a nice black tea and it's my life water these days since the cigar and pipe smoking have gone on a sabbatical. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who likes English pipe tobacco, it's a wonderful smokey aroma and flavor with still a slight leafy tea taste. It's so good!!
  • Options
    Lapsang Souchong is an amazing Tea!!!! I know what I'm drinking when I get home.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibal:
    Lapsang Souchong is an amazing Tea!!!! I know what I'm drinking when I get home.
    Tao of Tea makes a Lapsang Souchong that I really just didn't care for.