Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Had a Casa Magna torpedo (or was it a belcoso?) this afternoon that I got in trade from Jet. It was good, solidly good but not great in my opinion, I'd try it again in perhaps a different size. To cap off my evening I had a Perdomo ESV '91 second torpedo, this is an excellent cigar at an excellent price..the way quality control is in the industry, seconds are a solid buy.
  • Options
    I just finished up a Padilla Obsidian. Real nice cigar. CK
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Capped off the night with an El Mejor Espresso. As usual, it was a very pleasant experience.
  • Options
    VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    Ghurka Legend today. First one ive actually had, wont be the last. Ive had the centurian as well...and they're a close match, but i think im giving the honors to the legend. Absolutely a fantastic cigar. I snagged a deal for 10 of them (toro size roughly) at 35 and im not regretting it an ounce. I was going to compare it to a vintage 92 (another first tier cigar in my book) with regards to sweetness, but the maduro wrapper and toastyness as opposed to the sumatra and espresso'ness of the 92 gives it a character all its own, and its one i appreciate. Im going to go on a limb right now and say its my favorite ghurka from the line that ive smoked thus far.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    kaspera79:
    PuroFreak:
    Well I haven't had anything in the past couple days so I'm hoping tonight I can get in either a Sol Cubano Cuban Cab, or a Don Pepin Cuban Classic... I'm waiting to see what the weather, and wife, are like when I get home.
    So... Puro, which of the two will have the bigger affect on which cigar you will smoke ?
    Well the weather ended up crushing my hopes of having a smoke. It was raining pretty hard and the wind was blowing it all right onto the balcony... The wife normally doesn't mind, but right now we are packing everything up because we are moving saturday.
  • Options
    ShawnJShawnJ Posts: 65
    Tumbler, I think the Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic is probably my favorite cigar at the moment. If I still like it this much after I've smoked the box of them, I may order another box. I'm thinking of ordering a box of the A. Fernandez robustos as well. Had a Cuban Classic after lunch today. Not sure what I'm going to smoke this evening but I'm thinking another A. Fernandez.
  • Options
    I'm hoping I can have a DPG Cuban Classic since I got rained out last night.
  • Options
    tedescotedesco Posts: 22
    Im smoking a Gurkha triple ligero right now and i might have either a 5 vegas Relic or a Perdomo lot 23 tonight.
  • Options
    tedesco:
    Im smoking a Gurkha triple ligero right now and i might have either a 5 vegas Relic or a Perdomo lot 23 tonight.
    The Triple Ligero is one of my favorite sticks. I just finished a 5 Vegas Classic and it was so nice outside I pulled a reclining lawn chair out and was stretched out on the driveway. As I was finishing up the cigar the chair broke and spilled me onto the concrete. I guess I should've seen it coming since I was so relaxed and comfertable. CK
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Had a Rocky Patel Vibe today, had to rush it just a bit, but let me tell you... something I've always noticed about RP is how good the construction is. I was in the wind, and it held up great, burned evenly. Had a good, peppery taste until the halfway point, where it seemed to all of a sudden ooze cream and coffee flavors. I really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    betasynn:
    Had a Rocky Patel Vibe today, had to rush it just a bit, but let me tell you... something I've always noticed about RP is how good the construction is. I was in the wind, and it held up great, burned evenly. Had a good, peppery taste until the halfway point, where it seemed to all of a sudden ooze cream and coffee flavors. I really enjoyed it.

If you like the vibe try the REO!
    Today i started with some unbanded stick i got as a freebie from the b&m, good thing it was unbanded, it SUCKED! Washed the taste out of my mouth with a Punch Gran Puro, awesome flavor! Later on was a RP Nicarao, cool and tasty to the last 1/2 inch, if you can get it, its a pretty good smoke. Really captures Nicaraguan tobacco. Followed that up with a AF Short Story, another blend i really enjoy.
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406
    Only one today, a CCom Cuban label robusto. Great flavor and burn as usual, just burned a little hot. Might have been me.
  • Options
    smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    Went to my local B&M and picked up an Illusione 88. Had some burn problems but overall it was very good. It was very spicy with a little creme developing in the last 3rd.
  • Options
    Instead of the DPG Cuban Classic I had a Sol Cubano Cuban Cab Robusto. As always a GREAT smoke! It took about an hour and a half to smoke and had great flavor without a single burn issue, even when I had to come inside and change the little one about half way through it. Went back out and took one puff and it was still going! I've become a big fan of the Cuban Cab!
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I second that Puro I love those things !
  • Options
    burchamsburchams Posts: 31
    j0z3r:
    Had a Casa Magna torpedo (or was it a belcoso?) this afternoon that I got in trade from Jet. It was good, solidly good but not great in my opinion, I'd try it again in perhaps a different size. To cap off my evening I had a Perdomo ESV '91 second torpedo, this is an excellent cigar at an excellent price..the way quality control is in the industry, seconds are a solid buy.
    I'm on the road, and don't have appointments tomorrow, so I went all out this evening and rushed to the local B&M and decided on the Casa Magna (#1 rated on CA) as well. The one I bought was fresh out of the box which probably explains my complaint. Terrible burn issues and all I had was a box of matches. Though I managed to get through it, the taste didn't do alot for me. Had a nice kick, though. Or could've been the tight draw, not sure.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63:
    betasynn:

If you like the vibe try the REO!
    Today i started with some unbanded stick i got as a freebie from the b&m, good thing it was unbanded, it SUCKED! Washed the taste out of my mouth with a Punch Gran Puro, awesome flavor! Later on was a RP Nicarao, cool and tasty to the last 1/2 inch, if you can get it, its a pretty good smoke. Really captures Nicaraguan tobacco. Followed that up with a AF Short Story, another blend i really enjoy.
    I have never had/heard of the Vibe or the REO, lol. Are these B&M-only blends or something? From the description of Beta, it sounds like it would be right up my alley.

Had a Gurkha Legend earlier today, was kind of dissapointed. Draw was too tight, couldn't get much smoke out of it. What I did get out tasted about like I remember, but I had to pull so hard on it, it started getting harsh. I have a few more sitting in the humidor, gonna give them a month or two before I try another one.

EDIT: I just looked on the ccom website and saw they have REO and Vibes, lol. Silly me. Jet, you've got a PM.
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    I had a Carlos Torano Casa Torano while watching the rest of the Bulls-Celtics game after I got in from work tonight. Not a bad way to wind down.
  • Options
    Matt Marvel:
    I had a Carlos Torano Casa Torano while watching the rest of the Bulls-Celtics game after I got in from work tonight. Not a bad way to wind down.
    I love the Casa Toranos too, great mild sticks.

Finishing up a Vigilante Maduro Toro as I type this. Damn I love these cigars, thank you again ccom for having a few of these left in stock!
  • Options
    TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    I tried one of my Pre-Embargo(s) after work since I just picked up a few on the one day deal... I thought it was a terrific smoke for 4 bucks. Rolled a little loose - probably trying to make that one cuban pre-embargo bale go around :) I don't know about the pre-embargo hype, but what a one day deal and a great Camacho...

I, too watched the Chicago/Boston game. After 3 OT's - I needed to wind down before night night teddy bear - so I am having a Sol Cubano cabinet also... It was a good day,,,
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I had an RP Fusion tonight. The second one I've ever had and I was disappointed with this one too. Maybe whatever this cigar is supposed to do is lost on me but I put it down after about 2 inches. The wrapper tasted sour, but I don't remember that with the other one I had before. It was also very mild which doesn't seem right. The aroma was pleasant though. Good draw, but I had to work to keep it lit. Maybe I just had a bad stick.
  • Options
    Just had a CAO Italia, my first. I was a little hesitant to try this one, since I really don't seem to care for the Brazilia. The Italia is much more to my taste, downright delicious. Unfortunately, this one had severe burn issues. It was a struggle to keep it lit, and on top of that it had some pretty bad canoeing going on. Flavor was there, I just wish I didn't have to babysit it so much. I'll chalk the burn issues up to being a bad stick, and I will give it another shot.
  • Options
    mustluvcigarsmustluvcigars Posts: 686
    alienmisprint:
    Just had a CAO Italia, my first. I was a little hesitant to try this one, since I really don't seem to care for the Brazilia. The Italia is much more to my taste, downright delicious. Unfortunately, this one had severe burn issues. It was a struggle to keep it lit, and on top of that it had some pretty bad canoeing going on. Flavor was there, I just wish I didn't have to babysit it so much. I'll chalk the burn issues up to being a bad stick, and I will give it another shot.
    First one I smoked had horrible burn issues, but smoked the second after a month or two in the humi and it smoked quite well, I like the Brazilia quite a bit, but the America is my favorite of the three.
  • Options
    burchams:
    j0z3r:
    I'm on the road, and don't have appointments tomorrow, so I went all out this evening and rushed to the local B&M and decided on the Casa Magna (#1 rated on CA) as well. The one I bought was fresh out of the box which probably explains my complaint. Terrible burn issues and all I had was a box of matches. Though I managed to get through it, the taste didn't do alot for me. Had a nice kick, though. Or could've been the tight draw, not sure.
    I've had one of the Casa Magna and I had the same thoughts as you. Didn't burn that great, but the lack of flavor is what killed it for me. What flavor it did have was just ok. I don't see how it rated #1. I have one more in the humi that I'll have to try before I totally write it off.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    PuroFreak:
    burchams:
    j0z3r:
    I've had one of the Casa Magna and I had the same thoughts as you. Didn't burn that great, but the lack of flavor is what killed it for me. What flavor it did have was just ok. I don't see how it rated #1. I have one more in the humi that I'll have to try before I totally write it off.
    This was spot on with the one that I had. I thought that it may have been over humidified because of the tight draw and burn issues. I would catch a glimpse of some rich hearty flavor, but never really got a load of smoke large enough to engulf the palate. I too have a couple more resting that I hope will prove my first experience inferior, but we'll see.
  • Options
    Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    Just finished a 5 Vegas Classic Double Corona. Bleh. Not much taste to speak of.
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    I just finished a CAO Cameroon. It went great with my morning coffee. There's not much left of it, I burned the hell out of my fingers smoking it down.
  • Options
    405bench405bench Posts: 36

Russ55:
    I had an RP Fusion tonight. The second one I've ever had and I was disappointed with this one too. Maybe whatever this cigar is supposed to do is lost on me but I put it down after about 2 inches. The wrapper tasted sour, but I don't remember that with the other one I had before. It was also very mild which doesn't seem right. The aroma was pleasant though. Good draw, but I had to work to keep it lit. Maybe I just had a bad stick.

A buddy and I got one of the Fusions in our March ccom club shipment.  When he smoked his he had the same report you did, in fact he said he threw it away 1/2 way thru.   So, when I lit mine up last week, I was not expecting a good smoke and already had my back-up smoke handy.   Boy was I suprised, everything about the cigar appealed to me.  The draw, burn and flavor was very good.  

• Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Last night I smoked a Partagas Naturales Maduro. My first one. It wasn't bad. Tight draw though. At lunch today I smoked a Gurkha Grand Age Perfecto. This one had burn problems and it looks like the construction was not that great. Almost like they just glued some pieces of tobacco on to cover up blemishes or bad construction. The draw and taste were ok though.
  • Options
    Finishing up another ITC 10th Anniversary now. The more of these I smoke, the more I like them. They might be my favorite RP.