Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285

Lasabar:
    shamrocked:
    I am going to have to try the ccom brazilian label - the cao brazilia is a great cigar. even burn and a nice, smooth earthy flavor. trying to decide if i want a second - it is a toss up between a casa magna colorado or a cao gold maduro.
    Nice Screen Name!

Thanks - I have used this name for forums for quite some time.

In regards to the tortuga rum ... is it really that good? I have a bevmo down the street from my house and I haven't considered picking it up. It retails for about the same price as captain morgan or bacardi. Right now I have a bottle of Appleton Estate 12 year rum that I have been drinking. Must say it is pretty good. Bought the bottle when I was in Jamaica at the end of June.

• Options
    HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    I have a Henry Clay that I received in a trade that has been resting for a while. I may go out on the front porch later and enjoy that along with a book. It will be the first Henry Clay for me so we'll see how it goes!
  • Options
    Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    I had a 5 Vegas Gold... and.... idk... hate it really... I think I have totally switched off from milder cigars... It just didnt do it for me. It left my mouth dry and I left the cigar halfway through in my ashtray... I am disappointed... Both at the cigar and at myself... I like - want to like it! :/
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I just finished up a 5 Vegas Series A that was great as always. I had to touch up the burn one time with about 3 inches left on it but I think that was due to the wind. Great smoke though. Tomorrow I'm either going to go play golf or hit the driving range, so either way I'll have a smoke of some kind while I hit a few.
  • Options
    andrewhandrewh Posts: 97
    I went to an event this evening on top of a local motel. I had the Rocky Patel Spring Collection, it was good but I liked the Autumn more. My friend had a CAO Cameroon and he loved it so it's next on my list.
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    andrewh:
    I went to an event this evening on top of a local motel. I had the Rocky Patel Spring Collection, it was good but I liked the Autumn more. My friend had a CAO Cameroon and he loved it so it's next on my list.
    Yeah, the Cameroon is a good smoke. I'm smoking a 5 Vegas Miami. I'm really starting to like these a lot.
  • Options
    Well I finished the Henry Clay and I wasn't all that impressed. It did have a few notes of sweetness to it, but mostly just a lot of tobacco flavor. I don't think this is one I will be revisiting. Even though I got it in a trade (thanks Goldy!), for the price there are others that I enjoy more. But, I do enjoy trying new sticks so I am glad I did try it.

Sadly, this stick was plagued with a tight draw that I just couldn't fix. When I cut it I ended up having to cut into the second cap. Even then the draw did not improve. Probably a fluke, but either way just not the cigar for me.

Thanks again Goldy for sending it my way. I do like spreading my horizons when it comes to new cigars.
  • Options
    jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    5 Vegas Classis Robusto. Not great but pretty damn good.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Sitting on the back porch finishing up a Legend Ario. This is my first, and I am thoroughly impressed. Great construction, burn and flavor. Plenty of kick too, and although not super complex, it definately isn't boring.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    It looks like a big day for 5 Vegas.. Today I had a Limitada 2009. Very nice cigar. There was a nice flavor profile of wood, coffee, and kind of mossy/ grassy and a nice spicy kick . Very complex and pleasant. The burn was straight but I got a bit of tunneling with this one. The flavor remained nice and once corrected continued it's true burn. It is a long smoke lasting over an hour and a half 'till I put it down.. Great aftertaste, and one I will pick up more of.
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Hugemoose:
    Well I finished the Henry Clay and I wasn't all that impressed. It did have a few notes of sweetness to it, but mostly just a lot of tobacco flavor. I don't think this is one I will be revisiting. Even though I got it in a trade (thanks Goldy!), for the price there are others that I enjoy more. But, I do enjoy trying new sticks so I am glad I did try it.

Sadly, this stick was plagued with a tight draw that I just couldn't fix. When I cut it I ended up having to cut into the second cap. Even then the draw did not improve. Probably a fluke, but either way just not the cigar for me.

Thanks again Goldy for sending it my way. I do like spreading my horizons when it comes to new cigars.

Ya, those are always a little tight. What sticks do you like better in that price range?
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    It looks like a big day for 5 Vegas.. Today I had a Limitada 2009. Very nice cigar. There was a nice flavor profile of wood, (coffee, and kind of mossy/ grassy and a nice spicy kick . Very complex and pleasant. The burn was straight but I got a bit of tunneling with this one. The flavor remained nice and once corrected continued it's true burn. It is a long smoke lasting over an hour and a half 'till I put it down.. Great aftertaste, and one I will pick up more of.
    I was wanting to try the one have kicking around...though mabey I was jumping the gun(not aged), ended up having a RP-92
  • Options
    Goldy:
    Hugemoose:

Ya, those are always a little tight. What sticks do you like better in that price range?
    For around the $3 range, have you tried the P Series from Tatuaje? I think those are excellent, underpriced cigars. The Cusano P1 iand LVH The Early Years are two more good sticks for the money, IMO.

Smoking a RP Signature Salamon. A big hunk of the wrapper came off with the band on this one, but I'm smoking it anyways. By the time it gets to the hole in the wrapper, it will have less than an inch left anyways, I think I can put up with it for that long, lol.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Nothing Monday or today ...maybe tommorow I'll have time ...
  • Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    An Ashton VSG. Small size cigar that was very very good. But I smoked a little too fast and a little too deep into the nub. Got the nasuea and sweats pretty bad. Next time I am slowing wayyyyyyyy down.  
  • Options
    ....Hmmm, Iron Horse + Ashton VSG = Nasuea and sweating ? Are you trying to say that cigar was a little strong ?
    I've got one sitting around, I guess I better be carefull.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    ....Hmmm, Iron Horse + Ashton VSG = Nasuea and sweating ? Are you trying to say that cigar was a little strong ?

May have to change his moniker to stick pony !!! Just kiddin Iron horse ...sorry that happened to ya man ...the VSG are a good smoke ...have you ever had the ESG ...
  • Options
    shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
    seems like my humi is filled with rp and cao so i am deciding between either a vintage 1990 or a cao criollo
  • Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469

haha, no I am just new to the game and only been smoking for about a month. But the cigar had an awesome draw and I guess I couldnt help myself. It wasn't too strong of a smoke, I would say it was perfectly balanced. I have never had the same cigar twice, but I would put that one in the top spot now.

Never had the ESG, but I am going to be trying all the ashtons so we'll see!

• Options
    gmill880:
    kaspera79:

May have to change his moniker to stick pony !!! Just kiddin Iron horse ...sorry that happened to ya man ...the VSG are a good smoke ...have you ever had the ESG ...
    Dude, I been smoking cigars for fifteen years and I get green every once in a while still. The last time was a Cusano LXI Habano Sun grown.
  • Options
    Went to the B&M and enjoyed a NUB cameroon. Great cigar...I always enjoy them!
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    gmill880:
    kaspera79:

Dude, I been smoking cigars for fifteen years and I get green every once in a while still. The last time was a Cusano LXI Habano Sun grown.

The Cusano LXI SG is a strong stick ...they make me a little woozy ...
  • Options
    gmill880:
    kaspera79:
    gmill880:
    kaspera79:

The Cusano LXI SG is a strong stick ...they make me a little woozy ...
    I've got another one that actually scares me when ever I see it in my humidor. Maybe age will chill that killer.
  • Options
    Worst I've ever been was off a RP Rosado Robusto (weird, huh?) and the most recent cigar that got me a little green was a MoW Ruination.

That RP Signature Salomon was less than satisfying, its the second one I have had in that shape. It is definately not a good size/shape for the Signature, nowhere near as flavorful as the Toro. To rememdy it I am in the middle of a Nicarao, excellent flavor and a razor sharp burn. The only thing bugging me is that there is this very distinct, sweet taste on the finish that I just can't put a finger on. It is a good flavor, just that not being able to place it is irritating the hell out of me.
  • Options
    Hey alien, would that be the almond or cashew like tadte that seem to carry on in that cigar.. It is kind of buttery too. Nice flavors, that make you want to keep drawing on it to figure it out, then it gets lost in the heat.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Today was a Man o'war Ruination robusto #1, good smoke as always.
  • Options
    Im having a Padilla Serie 68 as i type. Not bad. Lots of earthy flavors coming thru but sometimes they disappear for a few draws then come back. Maybe just taste buds are off
  • Options
    ryanbishryanbish Posts: 10
    Tonight it was an El Mejor Espresso. Cheap cigar, not a bad flavor though.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Had a little Graycliff 1666 about 5 inches long, maybe a 50ish ring gauge. Good cigar, but not 12$ a stick good. If it wasn't so damn expensive, this would be thrown in the rotation a bit more often.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I had an Oliva Series V Double Robusto and a La Vieja Habana Gordito Rico. The Series V was exceptional and the Double Robusto size was absolutely perfect for the strength of the cigar. I tend to favor the La Vieja Habana and now trying to integrate the exhaul through the nose I've begun to pick up on some flavors that I like, but have no idea what to call them. I have also noticed with this cigar, while it is a 6x60, that it is loosely rolled and burns quickly. I finished it in 45 minutes. I actually like this characteristic as a small punch creates more than ample draw.