Home Non Cigar Related
Options

The Beer Forum (It's really a thread but it sounds better this way)

HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
Hokay since we seem to have a passion for cigars I was curious who also has a passion for Beir! No this is not about Miller, Busch, Budweiser, or other American crap beer. This is dedicated to the "craft" beer market. so let's get the ball rolling... Recently I have purchased these... Franziskaner Dunkle-Weisse (try saying that three sheets to the wind) Tucher Dunkle-Hefe Weizen and a wonderful Brown Ale called Nostrodomus. Myself I prefer German/Belgian brews altho I do occasionally have IPA's (India Pale Ales) like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale I'll post more after I go to the store this weekend.

Comments

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Guinness - The One True Beer To Rule Them All.

Otherwise, a Rochefort with a Gurkha Centurion ain't too shabby

• Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    mmm, Guinness.

I've recently become an IPA ****. My favorites are Stone IPA, Dogfish Head 60 minute, and best of all - the Double IPA made at a local brewery here called the Big Rock Chop House.
  • Options
    TatuajeVI:
    mmm, Guinness.

I've recently become an IPA ****. My favorites are Stone IPA, Dogfish Head 60 minute, and best of all - the Double IPA made at a local brewery here called the Big Rock Chop House.
    mmm Dogfish head, sadly I have to travel to find better beers as SC sucks for "Craft beer" but the trip is always worth a 6'r imo, Guinness is flippin awesome on tap, one day I just want to have one on tap in Ireland or England,I would prefer in Ireland to be honest.
  • Options
    Hayblet:
    TatuajeVI:
    mmm, Guinness.

mmm Dogfish head, sadly I have to travel to find better beers as SC sucks for "Craft beer" but the trip is always worth a 6'r imo, Guinness is flippin awesome on tap, one day I just want to have one on tap in Ireland or England,I would prefer in Ireland to be honest.
    On the way home from a deployment in Iraq we made a thirty minute stop in Shannon Ireland. Thank God the bar was open and my Commander was in a good mood. I hadn't had beer in 13 months. I had two pints of Guinness in Ireland - check that off the list of things I always wanted to do. Course, I still want to go to Dublin and tour the factory. Someday perhaps.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I'm stuck on porters and stouts at the moment. I love IPA, Ambers and wheatbeer as well but i'm currently sucking down a brew form North Coast Brewery call "Old Rasputin". Jeezus i love this stuff. Just the right amount of carbonation, viscous, smells of roasted dark chocolate, just wonderful!
  • Options
    I lean towards the Belgians right now. IF you can find it, Ommegang Brewery Abbey Ale, drink two carboys of that and see if you're still intelligible!
  • Options
    Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    On my second guiness extra stout as we speak. GREAT!! Can't tell whether or not I like it better than guiness draught yet.
  • Options
    TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    I'm stuck on porters and stouts at the moment. I love IPA, Ambers and wheatbeer as well but i'm currently sucking down a brew form North Coast Brewery call "Old Rasputin". Jeezus i love this stuff. Just the right amount of carbonation, viscous, smells of roasted dark chocolate, just wonderful!

Old rasputin is great stuff... Just gave that a whirl about a month ago. Am also liking the Goose Island bourban county...The left hand imperial stout would be my value pick.. :)
  • Options
    TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    mmm, Guinness.

We had a pub here that had the 120 minute dogfish on tap. Delish! Dogfish allowed them two kegs. Didn't last long.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    I find that most commercially-produced beers just don't appeal to me... Tonight I enjoyed a Stone Smoked Porter, and it was freakin good...
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    Hays:
    I find that most commercially-produced beers just don't appeal to me... Tonight I enjoyed a Stone Smoked Porter, and it was freakin good...
    Everything Stone makes is so fantastic. I just wish it wasn't so dang expensive, lol. Worth every penny!
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    Hayblet:
    TatuajeVI:
    mmm, Guinness.

On the way home from a deployment in Iraq we made a thirty minute stop in Shannon Ireland. Thank God the bar was open and my Commander was in a good mood. I hadn't had beer in 13 months. I had two pints of Guinness in Ireland - check that off the list of things I always wanted to do. Course, I still want to go to Dublin and tour the factory. Someday perhaps.
    I had about an hour in Shannon, Ireland on the way home from Afghanistan the first time. We were limited to only one beer, but I ended up haveing 4 and a half mugs of Guiness. I never really drank much before then and I got back on the plane pretty tanked. That mixed with the Ambien made for a pretty peaceful sleep the rest of the way home.
  • Options
    MrGreenMachine:
    I lean towards the Belgians right now. IF you can find it, Ommegang Brewery Abbey Ale, drink two carboys of that and see if you're still intelligible!
    This was my hometown brew growing up. I am from about 45 minutes from Cooperstown. If you ever want to get this stuff in bulk and can't finad a way let me know. I'll send a buddy straight to the brewery and have you some fresh from the tap in just a couple days.
  • Options
    Tumbler:
    TatuajeVI:
    mmm, Guinness.

We had a pub here that had the 120 minute dogfish on tap. Delish! Dogfish allowed them two kegs. Didn't last long.
    I have been trying SO hard to get my hands on some of this. It's illegal here in NC unfortuantely. Maybe a kind BOTL that can get this in their state wouldn't mind sending me a couple bottles...?

I am about 1/4 through a 22 oz. bottle of Lagunitas Hop Stupid Ale. It's pretty great, tastes just like every other Imperial IPA I have had, but that's not a bad thing. I am definitely an IPA ****. I'll try anything that I hear is too bitter and hoppy.

My favorite beer is, without doubt, Stone Ruination IPA. Followed closely by Stone IPA. Another amazing IPA that I enjoy regularly is Bell's Two Hearted, a bit milder than the other two but still phenominal.
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Before moving to MA, and actually having good microbrews around, Miller Lite was always the beer of choice. Now, I really enjoy Harpoon IPA (well hell, and IPA actually), and John Harvard's Double Dry IPA (which is 9.5% abv). I have also always been a fan of New Belgium's Fat tire, 1554, and now the Blue Paddle. Blue Paddle was phenomenal.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Hayblet:
    TatuajeVI:
    mmm, Guinness.

Ive never been to Ireland, but they serve Guiness relatively warm in England. Also the hand pulled beers in england are relatively warm there also. They are just basement temperature cool. The hand pulls are also unfiltered so watch out the next day!

• Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    Jetmech - I am with you on that beer! I had a couple of those last week and I fell in love with the flavors perfectly described by you. Stuff not inexpensive though. Personally think pricing for all these micro/craft beers is getting a little out a hand. Still damn good stuff though.
  • Options
    Tried some Sam Adam cream stout for the first time, pretty good, the nose is like straight coffee. I still like other microbrew stouts, but this aint at all bad.
  • Options
    I just picked up a 6-pack of Guiness Extra Stout. I'm not sure what to expect though. Hopefully I enjoy it, because I love Guiness so very much.
  • Options
    Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    ejenne87:
    I just picked up a 6-pack of Guiness Extra Stout. I'm not sure what to expect though. Hopefully I enjoy it, because I love Guiness so very much.
    I really like it Evan. Boy quite as much as guiness draught but still really good!
  • Options
    Alex Williams:
    ejenne87:
    I really like it Evan. Boy quite as much as guiness draught but still really good!
    I decided to pop a top a few hours ago. I am on my second bottle now and it is fantaztic! I can't believe it took me this long to realize how good this stuff is. I still like Guiness draught by the pint better, buit this stuff is very close... My second bottle is starting to get near room temperature and it is still pretty tastey, better when it was at about 45 degrees , but not bad at all!
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    ejenne87:
    Alex Williams:
    ejenne87:
    I decided to pop a top a few hours ago. I am on my second bottle now and it is fantaztic! I can't believe it took me this long to realize how good this stuff is. I still like Guiness draught by the pint better, buit this stuff is very close... My second bottle is starting to get near room temperature and it is still pretty tastey, better when it was at about 45 degrees , but not bad at all!
    Guiness Extra Stout is good stuff - far more satisfying than the draught bottles, that's for damn sure. Definitely a different beer than Guiness on tap, but I'm alright with that!
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I live in the Willamette Valley, the number one microbrew and craft brew producing area in the nation. I literally have 50 different breweries within 50 miles of me so it makes it very hard for me to just choose one particular beer. I have a beer for every occasion. If I'm eating wings I prefer PBR or Miller Lite (yeah I know but seriously, who wants to try and drive after 66oz of microbrew). During the winter I like the Nut Browns and Porters more. Widmer has the W10 black ale that is pretty damn good now, it's a hoppy porter. I also like Sam Smith's Nut Brown, Deschute's Jubelale, Sam Smith's Winter Warmer Ale, and Bridgeport's Old Fezzywig. For summer I like IPA, White and Wheat beers like Lost Coast Brewery's Great White, Alaskan Brewing's Summer Ale, Bridgeport IPA, Deschutte's Green Lakes Organic, New Belgium's Ranger, and literally anything from Ninkasi Brewing who specializes in super hoppy beers as we are in the hop capitol of the world like the Total Domination IPA, Spring Reign Amber, and Tricerahops IPA. There is really no bad beer, all beer serves its purpose, just some differently than others. I live in beer utopia so I get to be a little picky. I have places like Rock Bottom, McMenamin's, Bridgeport, Widmer, Lompoc, Deschuttes, The Ram Brewing Co., Ninkasi, Track Town, and many others who brew on site within a stones throw. I am spoiled. Funny because right now I'm drinking a Miller High Life but ya know what, it's refreshing and I'm buzzed, after 3 tall cans of course.
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    dennisking:
    I live in the Willamette Valley, the number one microbrew and craft brew producing area in the nation. I literally have 50 different breweries within 50 miles of me so it makes it very hard for me to just choose one particular beer. I have a beer for every occasion. If I'm eating wings I prefer PBR or Miller Lite (yeah I know but seriously, who wants to try and drive after 66oz of microbrew). During the winter I like the Nut Browns and Porters more. Widmer has the W10 black ale that is pretty damn good now, it's a hoppy porter. I also like Sam Smith's Nut Brown, Deschute's Jubelale, Sam Smith's Winter Warmer Ale, and Bridgeport's Old Fezzywig. For summer I like IPA, White and Wheat beers like Lost Coast Brewery's Great White, Alaskan Brewing's Summer Ale, Bridgeport IPA, Deschutte's Green Lakes Organic, New Belgium's Ranger, and literally anything from Ninkasi Brewing who specializes in super hoppy beers as we are in the hop capitol of the world like the Total Domination IPA, Spring Reign Amber, and Tricerahops IPA. There is really no bad beer, all beer serves its purpose, just some differently than others. I live in beer utopia so I get to be a little picky. I have places like Rock Bottom, McMenamin's, Bridgeport, Widmer, Lompoc, Deschuttes, The Ram Brewing Co., Ninkasi, Track Town, and many others who brew on site within a stones throw. I am spoiled. Funny because right now I'm drinking a Miller High Life but ya know what, it's refreshing and I'm buzzed, after 3 tall cans of course.
    yeah yeah, no one likes a braggert. haha! Seriously though, it'd be awesome to live that close to all those breweries. I think. Not sure I'd get a whole heck of a lot of work done.
  • Options
    Glad to see this forum (thread) was a success
  • Options
    pnaylonpnaylon Posts: 214
    I'm from New Orleans, so I grew up drinking Abita beer. Year-round, Abita amber is hands-down my favorite, but Abita purple haze and strawberry lager during summer are also phenomenal.

• Options
    pnaylon:
    I'm from New Orleans, so I grew up drinking Abita beer. Year-round, Abita amber is hands-down my favorite, but Abita purple haze and strawberry lager during summer are also phenomenal.

Thats funny, i have Abita Purple Haze in the fridge(actually had one today...and Abita Turbodog on the shelf(another go-to brew)
  • Options
    ljlljl Posts: 819
    ejenne87:
    Tumbler:
    TatuajeVI:
    mmm, Guinness.

I have been trying SO hard to get my hands on some of this. It's illegal here in NC unfortuantely. Maybe a kind BOTL that can get this in their state wouldn't mind sending me a couple bottles...?

I am about 1/4 through a 22 oz. bottle of Lagunitas Hop Stupid Ale. It's pretty great, tastes just like every other Imperial IPA I have had, but that's not a bad thing. I am definitely an IPA ****. I'll try anything that I hear is too bitter and hoppy.

My favorite beer is, without doubt, Stone Ruination IPA. Followed closely by Stone IPA. Another amazing IPA that I enjoy regularly is Bell's Two Hearted, a bit milder than the other two but still phenominal.

Hear ya' on the bells two hearted. I can't get this in Illinois. Something about bells needing to find a disty...
    I heard today that no bottle beer is intended to be had straight from the bottle, you're supposed to pour it straight down the middle of the glass to let the carbonation out. Anybody else hear this - seems like blasphemy not to pour down the side.
  • Options
    ljlljl Posts: 819
    Jetmech_63:
    pnaylon:

Thats funny, i have Abita Purple Haze in the fridge(actually had one today...and Abita Turbodog on the shelf(another go-to brew)

My wife is an art teach, she worked on a display for a local brewery (beers by state). She drew LA and Abita was right in there. I'll see if I can find some photos to post/link...
  • Options
    ljl:
    I heard today that no bottle beer is intended to be had straight from the bottle, you're supposed to pour it straight down the middle of the glass to let the carbonation out. Anybody else hear this - seems like blasphemy not to pour down the side.
    I will almost NEVER drink a beer from the bottle. Half the experience of drinking a beer is the feel and aroma, and there is no way to get any of that form a bottle. As far as pour technique, it really depends on the beer. An IPA or a Pale Ale can be poured, slowly, straight in the bottom of the glass. Most Stouts and Porters tend to have a lot of head so I always tilt the glass. A general rule of thumb, you want about a half inch of head on your beer, so pour accordingly... AND!! ***This is important*** NEVER pour beer in to a chilled glass. I always use a pint glass stored at room temperature, and I always rinse it out with ust a little bit of cool, not cold, water to coat the inside of the glass.