Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Gurkha Centurian

docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
Tonight I smoked a Gurkha Centurian Perfecto. This is the first perfecto I have smoked, and the fourth Gurkha I have had. It was a decent smoke, but had some issues. My only complaint that is in any way serious was the construction. The draw was super loose, and produced very little smoke, especially in the first third. There also was very little flavor during the first third, which I want to attribute to the perfecto shape. The flavor didn't really come forward until I had smoked past the bunched up end, once it hit the full ring size of 60 (I'm pretty sure it's 60)? Before that all I really got was a decent tobacco flavor, and some peppery feel. The spice kicked up once it hit it's full potential, in a great flavorful way. The draw and smoke production also got a little better once I smoked past the cone. The ash held on for a little over an inch. Didn't have any issues with the burn. I would like to smoke another of these just to see if it was maybe a fluke? Total burn time was right at an hour. Great looking stick though, beautiful bands, everything I expect from Gurkha.

Some pics:

15 Minutes in

30 Minute mark

Finished!

Comments

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Good review, but how long did you let it rest for? I've been holding 10 of these for about 2 mo now, and after smoking the first 3, I haven't had as many of the draw issues as you did. The first inch or so is sometimes tight, sometimes ok; but it loosens up after about an inch (your first pic actually) and smokes fine after that for me.

Totally agree about the cigar opening up flavor-wise at the bulge though - I love the second half of these
    <BR<
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    THIS WAS AND IS STILL MY FAVORITE CIGAR.

• Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    xmacro:
    Good review, but how long did you let it rest for? I've been holding 10 of these for about 2 mo now, and after smoking the first 3, I haven't had as many of the draw issues as you did. The first inch or so is sometimes tight, sometimes ok; but it loosens up after about an inch (your first pic actually) and smokes fine after that for me.

Totally agree about the cigar opening up flavor-wise at the bulge though - I love the second half of these
    Only a couple of weeks resting. I might throw one on my next order so I can let it sit a few months and see how that improves it.

Don't get me wrong, this was a great smoke once it hit the bulge. Hannibal, I would love to see your thoughts on this cigar. You say it's your favorite... what sort of flavors do you get from it, what can I look for next time to maybe improve my experience? Thanks guys.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I got a lot of sweet soft cedar, a bit of leather and like...a lot of mellow earth flavors. Not really any spice until the nub. I really good cigar if you can put up with the draw until the halfway point
  • Options
    Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    hopefully i like it just as much...just ordered one...ill keep u guys posted on it...ill let it sit for a couple weeks first though lol
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely love this cigar
  • Options
    dirtylipsdirtylips Posts: 19

kingjk729:

shut da fu ck up! 

• Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    dirtylips:

kingjk729:

shut da fu ck up! 

Yea... ya dummy!

On a serious note, this cigar is the only Gurkha I could ever see myself buying again (out of the few gurk's I've had that is) but it is the most expensive of them all... I guess if I ever find a good enough deal on them I will stock up, but until then I'll smoke my $2 Nica Libres and Cu Avana Intensos and be just as content :-)
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Ah yes the new little troll on the board .....dirtylips ......... I think his account has been deleted ..... Awwww too bad so sad ...... run back to your cave dirty little troll
  • Options
    ejenne87:
    dirtylips:

kingjk729:

shut da fu ck up! 

Yea... ya dummy!

On a serious note, this cigar is the only Gurkha I could ever see myself buying again (out of the few gurk's I've had that is) but it is the most expensive of them all... I guess if I ever find a good enough deal on them I will stock up, but until then I'll smoke my $2 Nica Libres and Cu Avana Intensos and be just as content :-)
    ^ agree. Good cigar, but not $20 good; I'm waiting until a DD comes along
  • Options

kingjk729:
    Ah yes the new little troll on the board .....dirtylips ......... I think his account has been deleted ..... Awwww too bad so sad ...... run back to your cave dirty little troll

I said shut da fu ck up!!

• Options
    Mr. Troll, Mr. Troll, how many posts does it take to get to the rotten core of a troll's heart?

• Options

xmacro:
    Mr. Troll, Mr. Troll, how many posts does it take to get to the rotten core of a troll's heart?

You id iot!  Don't make no damn sense.  Now you.... need to shut da fu ck up!!

• Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    dirtylips:

xmacro:

You id iot!  Don't make no damn sense.  Now you.... need to shut da fu ck up!!

wow, this idiot is not banned yet?

you got issues bro, serious issues.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63:
    I got a lot of sweet soft cedar, a bit of leather and like...a lot of mellow earth flavors. Not really any spice until the nub. I really good cigar if you can put up with the draw until the halfway point
    You really nailed the flavors of this one...

• Options
    NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Posts: 728
    stephen_hannibal:
    Jetmech_63:
    You really nailed the flavors of this one...

Ive had one sitting since my first COTM package came back in ... aug 2009? I wanna smoke it, but its my only one!!! lol. May pick up a few more to age (before/after) i try it. I just assume im gonna like it. :)
  • Options
    HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    I had twelve of these and gave 10 away. They just didn't do it for me. It was by no means a bad cigar, but the flavors it had simply weren't what I tend to look for. I still have one left just in case :-D
  • Options

Hugemoose:
    I had twelve of these and gave 10 away. They just didn't do it for me. It was by no means a bad cigar, but the flavors it had simply weren't what I tend to look for. I still have one left just in case :-D

Is that right?  Well who gives a flying fu ck?  Certainly Stephen Hannibal might.  He's all up in everyone's ass!  Nah, Nah.  I'm just playin!!  Peace treaty everyone!

• Options
    txjayhawktxjayhawk Posts: 311
    dirtylips:

Is that right?  Well who gives a flying fu ck?  Certainly Stephen Hannibal might.  He's all up in everyone's ass!  Nah, Nah.  I'm just playin!!  Peace treaty everyone!

go step in front of a Semi.
  • Options
    mkski23mkski23 Posts: 12
    txjayhawk:
    dirtylips:

Hahaha!!  What did I stumble into?  Too funny. 

Anyway...how can this cigar retail for som much $$$.  I see these on DDs on a normal rotation along with sister site. 

• Options
    You know it's a good thing I didn't see this yesterday... cause I would have been upset.
    But today is a different day.

Proverbs 26:4 (New International Version)
    4 Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will be like him yourself.

• Options
    mkski23:
    txjayhawk:
    dirtylips:

Hahaha!!  What did I stumble into?  Too funny. 

Anyway...how can this cigar retail for som much $$$.  I see these on DDs on a normal rotation along with sister site. 

dirtylips is our new forum troll

These aren't worth $20/each IMO, but they're definitely worth the DD price of $5/sicki
  • Options
    well speak of the Centurian...they are the DD today...I have two resting...anyone care to share how long they feel they should rest? One has been in there since Dec, and the other has been in for a month now.
  • Options
    They're pretty balanced sticks to begin with, they should be smoke-able right now.

• Options
    stephen_hannibal:
    They're pretty balanced sticks to begin with, they should be smoke-able right now.

good... hopefully I will pass this horrid content test I have tomorrow and I'll smoke up one of those guys. You think an hour 30 or so for the smoke?
  • Options
    txjayhawk:
    well speak of the Centurian...they are the DD today...I have two resting...anyone care to share how long they feel they should rest? One has been in there since Dec, and the other has been in for a month now.
    Dunno about how long to rest, but rest definitely helps with these sticks. For some reason, they smelled like low-tide at the pier when they first arrived, but thankfully none of the smell ever translated into the taste, and the smell disappeared with time. I think some rest also cures burn problems with these as well
  • Options
    The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    I've had some resting for about 3 months and smoked one 2 weeks ago. A big difference from when I first got them. A lot more woody flavor now and it toned down a lot on the spice. But it still kicked my Arss
  • Options
    xmacro:
    txjayhawk:
    Dunno about how long to rest, but rest definitely helps with these sticks. For some reason, they smelled like low-tide at the pier when they first arrived, but thankfully none of the smell ever translated into the taste, and the smell disappeared with time. I think some rest also cures burn problems with these as well

Low tide x-man? Wow none of mine ever smelled like that... I've never had burn issues either.

• Options
    Yeah, either low-tide or day-old tuna, it was a definite fishy-smell; I think Alex said the same thing when he got his. Either way, the smell never made any difference to the taste, it seems that it was just some odd odor

As for burn problems, I've never had any either, but I come across some reviews where the person had a burn issue; not sure whether this is due to a bad roll on that particular cigar, or what.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    txjayhawk:
    I've had better luck resting them for 6 months than with fresh ones. The December one ought to be good for smoking.