Home Non Cigar Related

I hate Obama

cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
There.

I said it.

He's had a year in office now, plus a little extra and I've tried to keep an open mind with regards to him and give him a chance to "wow" me, but he has failed utterly and miserably to do such. Let's be fair here, I was no George Bush fan at the end; and as glad as I was to see him and his progressive ideas go, I was horrified at what was coming. But, I still tried to keep an open mind. Emphasis on tried...

I made a list of a few lowlights from the the past year plus, so let's get started....

He's humiliated America by bowing to foreign muslim leaders.

How about "let's do a photo op of AF-1 low flying over the recently attacked NYC" debacle. Not to mention all the wasted tax dollars to do it.

Speaking of wasted tax dollars.... Let's not forget the bail-outs of the financial institutions.

Remember when all the big 3 automakers came asking for bailout money, and they were sent packing because they flew in on private jets. They came back later in hybrids and such, lmao. BTW, it's funny how Ford did not take any bailout money and is turning a profit..

How about flying to Iowa and back to make a 20 minute speech about energy conservation on Earth day - laughable. I mean, seriously, why do it in the rose garden where you can just walk out and make a speech when you can waste thousands of dollars worth of fuel and time and still get the photo op.

How about violating the free trade agreements with China - who, incidentally, holds most of our debt - by increasing tariffs on chinese made tires by 35% to give his union cronies a little payback.

How about turning over the CIA documents on "torture" during the questioning of ENEMY COMBATANTS that led to American lives being saved.

Then there's trying the Guantanimo ENEMY COMBATANTS in civilian trials ... and - wait for it - giving them full citizen rights in the process.

Any chance to waste American tax dollars he is sure to take it.

If there's a camera running, he's in front of it. if there's a speech that should be a 5 minute talk, he'll make it an hour. Anything to hear his own voice. I'd be willing to bet his wallet has more pictures of him in it than of his family.

I mean, seriously, I could go on for a while but I'm sure this is enough to spark a debate - don't you?

Every decision he makes seems to fly in the face of reason. I think the the only thing he's been banking on is the extremely short memory of the American people, and the hopes that he can put off the results of his terrible policies until after 2012 ( ~think 4 year delay in health care).. Well, I for one think that his policies will affect enough Americans in a negative way that not only will he lose out in 2012, but also the party leadership will take a drubbing later this year.

If you llllloooooove Obama, please don't post that here, start your own thread. See how many responses you get.

If you agree with this post, or have some more lowlights to add, please feel free to respond to this post.

OK, my rant is at an end...

Comments

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    People may not realize it, but our country, the United States, is rapidly becoming nothing less than a giant economic support system for government. We are so very close to the point where Americans will no longer exist to pursue and fulfill their own potentials. We will exist for one purpose ... to support government and those who depend on government. It will become --- in fact to many on the left it has already become - morally repugnant and indefensible to exist for your own sake.

Welcome back to a new age of American slavery.

"Long ashes my friends."

• undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    I'm at work so I'm not going to get started, but I don't disagree with a single thing you said.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Best. Thread. EVER!

I'll have to chime in on this one a little later...
  • mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    Just a crazy idea, but maybe we shouldn't be so worried about Obama himself, but the fact that he has such a large support base among American citizens. American citizens put him where he is, and a fair bit of them like him there. Unless he crosses the line and his own government shuts him down, or gets caught in some awful scandal and resigns, there isn't much to be done until next election day.
    mrpillow:
    Just a crazy idea, but maybe we shouldn't be so worried about Obama himself, but the fact that he has such a large support base among American citizens. American citizens put him where he is, and a fair bit of them like him there. Unless he crosses the line and his own government shuts him down, or gets caught in some awful scandal and resigns, there isn't much to be done until next election day.
    There is a name for these people, it's called The Entitlement Class. And the more Obama grows this class of people, the more votes he and the Democrat party will have. Why do you think there is a push now to make Puerto Rico a state now?(again) Most of the people in this country actually get welfare AND food stamps, while not having to pay taxes! But if they became a state, who do you think they would vote for?

"Long ashes my friends."

• Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    cabi, you stated that perfectly and summed up my thoughts completely!!
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I am on board with the sentiment. I feel like I have been taken advantage of in regards to my taxes, my healthcare, and the mind numbing green agendas. people don't think for themselves anymore, they just follow the trends. When they are told that something is good for them, they just go with it. I prefer to think for myself.
    OMG dennis don't start with the "green" thing....
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    There.

I said it.

He's had a year in office now, plus a little extra and I've tried to keep an open mind with regards to him and give him a chance to "wow" me, but he has failed utterly and miserably to do such. Let's be fair here, I was no George Bush fan at the end; and as glad as I was to see him and his progressive ideas go, I was horrified at what was coming. But, I still tried to keep an open mind. Emphasis on tried...

I made a list of a few lowlights from the the past year plus, so let's get started....

He's humiliated America by bowing to foreign muslim leaders.

How about "let's do a photo op of AF-1 low flying over the recently attacked NYC" debacle. Not to mention all the wasted tax dollars to do it.

Speaking of wasted tax dollars.... Let's not forget the bail-outs of the financial institutions.

Remember when all the big 3 automakers came asking for bailout money, and they were sent packing because they flew in on private jets. They came back later in hybrids and such, lmao. BTW, it's funny how Ford did not take any bailout money and is turning a profit..

How about flying to Iowa and back to make a 20 minute speech about energy conservation on Earth day - laughable. I mean, seriously, why do it in the rose garden where you can just walk out and make a speech when you can waste thousands of dollars worth of fuel and time and still get the photo op.

How about violating the free trade agreements with China - who, incidentally, holds most of our debt - by increasing tariffs on chinese made tires by 35% to give his union cronies a little payback.

How about turning over the CIA documents on "torture" during the questioning of ENEMY COMBATANTS that led to American lives being saved.

Then there's trying the Guantanimo ENEMY COMBATANTS in civilian trials ... and - wait for it - giving them full citizen rights in the process.

Any chance to waste American tax dollars he is sure to take it.

If there's a camera running, he's in front of it. if there's a speech that should be a 5 minute talk, he'll make it an hour. Anything to hear his own voice. I'd be willing to bet his wallet has more pictures of him in it than of his family.

I mean, seriously, I could go on for a while but I'm sure this is enough to spark a debate - don't you?

Every decision he makes seems to fly in the face of reason. I think the the only thing he's been banking on is the extremely short memory of the American people, and the hopes that he can put off the results of his terrible policies until after 2012 ( ~think 4 year delay in health care).. Well, I for one think that his policies will affect enough Americans in a negative way that not only will he lose out in 2012, but also the party leadership will take a drubbing later this year.

If you llllloooooove Obama, please don't post that here, start your own thread. See how many responses you get.

If you agree with this post, or have some more lowlights to add, please feel free to respond to this post.

OK, my rant is at an end...
    Yeah, Obama has really pissed me off too, though I think for different reasons than you mentioned, though maybe some are the same. He didn't give the banks a bailout that was done before he came in but he did sort of keep it going. The auto makers were given a loan and it was so highly scrutinized. I do feel that yes, people caught with terrorist ties should not be held in civilian court but there is no way to know how many at Gitmo were really terrorists as to the way they were handled and how they were brought there. I do think that people caught in the US who are doing terrorist acts should be put in civilian court. I think you also have to look at who is in the senate. I mean so much stuff has been changed or stalled because of the senate. The president can only do so much. However I think he's been rather weak on pushing policies and has caved way too much. Look at the financial reform being worked on now? I mean I don't get what is so hard about it. It's clear that it needs to be done to safe guard our economy. The china situation needs to be fixed, they need a slap in the face. NAFTA needs to be changed, as is our part in WTO. There's a lot of problems and they've been festering for a long time but until people stop fighting and do what is proven to work instead of doing failed policies or mirrors of them things are going to stay the same. I feel your pain, I really do.
    oh and yes the health bill was severely flawed. there's a lot of things I have problems with, a lot.
  • minibeezyminibeezy Posts: 257
    undulac:
    I'm at work so I'm not going to get started, but I don't disagree with a single thing you said.

+1

I agree with everything said so far.
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    ur funny mr. pillow....u say that obama has such a large support from the u.s...yet he has the second lowest approval rating ever in the history of presidents.... and i love this thread!!!!....absolutely love it!....i hate obama and cant wait to see him outa office....he is ruining this country day by day... Did u know he made 5.5 miillion dollars last year....unbelievable...if he is so much for helping the big auto companies, the financial institutions, and poor ass people living on the economy...he should donate his own wallet
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Wow...I thought the younger generation was the only one looking for instant gratification. Are we having tunnel vision here? Our problems weren't created in one year so how can anyone expect them to be solved in one year. Let's not be so shallow.
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    I'm with Cabbie on this one. Obama sucks!
  • gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    I love my country, but I fear my government. And I have never been more afraid of it than now. I'm sad that my grandchildren will probably have no concept of the freedoms that I grew up with. My only hope is that we can turn this thing around to some degree in the future.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Look at the financial reform being worked on now? I mean I don't get what is so hard about it. It's clear that it needs to be done to safe guard our economy.
    its about as clear as mud. when you hold down the banks and financial systems the way they are talking about you hold down the rest of the country because large banks can make large loans. small ones cant. its going to kill the potential for greatness.
    phobicsquirrel:
    oh and yes the health bill was severely flawed. there's a lot of things I have problems with, a lot.
    but most of your problems are that he isnt far enough to the left, and that he has not done enough to regulate everything

i hate that i wake up every day and read the news only to find out another way the Obama administration has violated the rights of the individual

i hate that the only way the Obama administration will ever suggest to "fix" something is to raise taxes and regulate the life out of it.

i hate how the constitution is carted out on patriotic holidays to be a part of a speech but is then quickly shredded behind closed doors.

...i hate that when the Republicans win everything back we will have to worry about our rights still being violated, but in a different way.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    ...i hate that when the Republicans win everything back we will have to worry about our rights still being violated, but in a different way.
    That's one of my biggest fears. That's why my hope is that the "establishment" takes notice of the upcoming elections (repubs and dems alike) and understand that the American people - and yes, I mean the tea partiers - won't stand for it anymore. Progressives are the problem, and they have polluted both parties to the point that they are almost equally worthless; although the extreme left is much worse.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:
    Look at the financial reform being worked on now? I mean I don't get what is so hard about it. It's clear that it needs to be done to safe guard our economy.
    its about as clear as mud. when you hold down the banks and financial systems the way they are talking about you hold down the rest of the country because large banks can make large loans. small ones cant. its going to kill the potential for greatness.
    phobicsquirrel:
    but most of your problems are that he isnt far enough to the left, and that he has not done enough to regulate everything

i hate that i wake up every day and read the news only to find out another way the Obama administration has violated the rights of the individual

i hate that the only way the Obama administration will ever suggest to "fix" something is to raise taxes and regulate the life out of it.

i hate how the constitution is carted out on patriotic holidays to be a part of a speech but is then quickly shredded behind closed doors.

I know your all about letting the corporate world do what they do and want without any regulations but that doesn't work kuzi. I agree there can be too much govt involvement but the problem is there needs to be protections against our own interests. If the current mining incident was upheld to regulations that were already put in place then the minors wouldn't have had the devastating disaster. But instead regulations were not enforced. Just like so many other things. The same thing could be said of the BP disaster in the Gulf. The very safeguards that are used and mandated across most of the world aren't enforced here thus once again companies are able to destroy this country and make a buck. Most of the problems in this country are that the big wigs are not held accountable. Going from the president/vice president to large ceo's, hell even senators. But the little guys are always getting busted.
    I've often wondered why some are so against govt but so for the private world? Is it not the private world who bankrupt this country? Was it not the private world that raises our oil, and keeps this country from moving forward? Is it not the private world that is pumping all kinds of pills in our throats thus causing massive injury's years down the road? Is it not the private oil companies who cause massive spills and pollute our water? Govt is the only thing that can keep all these things in line. However they are doing a poor poor job of it. This country needs a serious make-over. It would be nice if all of us could work together on it.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    , his pals, everyone in his administration, his smug arrogant attitude, his incompetence, Rahm, Baghdad Bob Gibbs, the Dem lead congress, Lame Stream Media, well you get the idea.
  • gdsim1gdsim1 Posts: 213
    fla-gypsy:
    , his pals, everyone in his administration, his smug arrogant attitude, his incompetence, Rahm, Baghdad Bob Gibbs, the Dem lead congress, Lame Stream Media, well you get the idea.
    Dont forget the belle of the ball herself, Nancy Pelosi. I cant even see that woman without my blood pressure going up 30 points! Self righteous liberal beeotch - and she is the poister child for the liberal far left. They have been waiting for YEARS for this opportuniy, and are helll bent on instituting every change they have ever wanted as quickly as possible, and the consequences to the country be damned.

Sorry fellas, didnt mean to go off like that. Guess I needed to vent more than I knew.

The problem with the current administration is that many of it's policies do not encourage personal responsibility.
    Rather than allow people to fend for themselves their freedom of choice is removed and they are silently forced into one path of action.

• SquatchitoSquatchito Posts: 41
    I'm amazed. Truly amazed, that anyone is capable of caring anymore. We've had what? 50 years of federal incompetence to deal with? 60? I think I am lucky. I am young enough to have never experienced capable government officials. Obama isn't the problem, nor is he the solution.

Every one of those cretins up on the hill are sub-human. The fact of the matter is that 99% of voting Americans pay absolutely no attention to what politicians are actually saying. I would wager that most voters do so on party lines. The Democrats or Republicans could nominate zombie Hitler for President and the sheep would vote for him. The majority of left over voters go with the cool choice. That remaining 1% actually pays attention and makes an informed vote.

Here is the only fact that matters. I makes absolutely no difference who is in office. So long as there is a 2 party system dividing the United States, 50% of people are going to be happy and 50% are going to be pissed off. Meanwhile 100% of the middle class will continue to get **** for generations to come.

Until our government has reason to fear the people, NOTHING will change EVER.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    The problem with the current administration is that many of it's policies do not encourage personal responsibility.
    Rather than allow people to fend for themselves their freedom of choice is removed and they are silently forced into one path of action.

I feel ya there, I would like people to learn to fish for themselves, not just be fed a fish every day.
    In regard to the 2 comments referring to how this didn't happen overnight and that it took a long time to get here: yes and no. Yes, things have been in decline for some time whether the leader be left or right wing but no one leader has taken more brazen strides to spend MY money that is taken from MY paycheck than Obama and his House and Senate. I have immediately seen money go away and I know that all the debt we just racked up has to get paid for somehow so I will pay for that as well. I'm tired of failed lawyers running my country, I want a businessman who is for business growth.
    for the record, Abraham Lincoln was never really popular in his Presidency and neither was Regan. Keep this in mind as people reflect negatively on Bush Jr. I believe history will look fondly on him and not negatively
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I'm going to actually say a couple of things here that most who have been around here for a while will find shocking coming from me. I do NOT hate President Obama. I don't agree with pretty much anything he has done, but it's not a personal thing. I'm sure he would be a nice guy to play a round of golf with. However I think he lacks a fundamental understanding of the ideals and values our great nation was founded upon. I think he has bought into this misguided, "marxist light" idea, also known as liberalism, that a true free market capitalist system will never work without a strong government to control and regulate it.

On the other hand, I agree with many on the left that the NYC car bomber should be tried in civilian court. He IS a U.S. Citizen and should be afforded the same constitutional rights as all of us. We can't just sweep our founding documents under the rug when it doesn't fit our desires. I don't believe foreigners that attempt to commit acts of terror here in the U.S. should be tried in civilian courts, but ANY AND EVERY U.S. Citizen should be afforded those rights.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:
    phobicsquirrel:

I know your all about letting the corporate world do what they do and want without any regulations but that doesn't work kuzi. I agree there can be too much govt involvement but the problem is there needs to be protections against our own interests. If the current mining incident was upheld to regulations that were already put in place then the minors wouldn't have had the devastating disaster. But instead regulations were not enforced. Just like so many other things. The same thing could be said of the BP disaster in the Gulf. The very safeguards that are used and mandated across most of the world aren't enforced here thus once again companies are able to destroy this country and make a buck. Most of the problems in this country are that the big wigs are not held accountable. Going from the president/vice president to large ceo's, hell even senators. But the little guys are always getting busted.
    I've often wondered why some are so against govt but so for the private world? Is it not the private world who bankrupt this country? Was it not the private world that raises our oil, and keeps this country from moving forward? Is it not the private world that is pumping all kinds of pills in our throats thus causing massive injury's years down the road? Is it not the private oil companies who cause massive spills and pollute our water? Govt is the only thing that can keep all these things in line. However they are doing a poor poor job of it. This country needs a serious make-over. It would be nice if all of us could work together on it.
    Well phobic... I won't argue economic theory with you because it is pretty much pointless, but there is one major statement you made in this post that is 100% factually wrong. The big bad oil company did NOT cause this spill. Do a little research and you will see that BP, who spent the majority of their political dollars on President Obama's campaign, was supposed to have a safety valve that would have prevented this kind of disaster, but they were exempted from this regulation last year by the very administration now blaming them for the whole thing. This was an example of political corruption and lack of action causing this problem. The other safetynet in place was for the government to take action to stop the spread of oil spills with fire booms, which was all layed out in a plan written in 1994. Yet the government failed to act and didn't even check on the availability of these fire booms until 8 days after the accident. This entire thing was a massive government failure.
    Speaking of the Financial "Reform" Bill....I want to set the stage for this story. First, I want you to remember that Goldman Sachs employees gave three times as much money ($4.5 million) to Democrats as they did to Republicans in the least election cycle. Then I want you to remember that employees at Citicorp gave twice as much money ($3.1 million) to Democrats as they did Republicans. During the 2010 election cycle 62% of the money from the securities and investment industry went to Democrats. Now doesn't that sound to you like there is somewhat of a cozy little relationship between Democrats and Wall Street? Right now Democrats are pushing what they call a "financial reform" bill that some say will give large Wall Street firms a virtual green light to make risky investments with the understanding that the government will bail them out if things turn out poorly. Sweet deal, if you can get it ... and apparently you can get it if you know where your politicial donations should go.

That brings us to Harry Reid. I'm trying to figure out where Harry Reid comes up with a line like this: "Republicans are having difficulty determining how they can continue making love to Wall Street." Well, actually it isn't all that hard. Harry Reid knows that most of the people the Democrats will rely on for votes in the November election don't know Jack about Wall Street and issues of finance. When Harry Reid says that the Republicans are making love to Wall Street Democrat voters pull their heads out of their nether-regions only long enough to nod in agreement .. then they plunge right back into the darkness again.

The fact that Democrats are trying to paint themselves as holier-than-thou when it comes to Wall Street reform is far from humorous. Pathetic might be a better word. But hey .. it works.

"Long ashes my friends."

• VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Im not even going to touch on this thread of (generally) pointless bashing, other than to add the other side of the coin to say......I HATE the (majority) of the Tea Baggers in that new movement of upper middle class whites who are afraid of anything ethic and make all things to be the evils of socialism----except their SS and medicare of course, which are their rights.....There...I said it too.
    Vulchor:
    Im not even going to touch on this thread of (generally) pointless bashing, other than to add the other side of the coin to say......I HATE the (majority) of the Tea Baggers in that new movement of upper middle class whites who are afraid of anything ethic and make all things to be the evils of socialism----except their SS and medicare of course, which are their rights.....There...I said it too.

Hmmmm....Vulchor's post got me thinking...Have you noticed how the ObamaMedia has managed to pull this "Racist" BS off? They have managed to marginalize the Tea Party movement and put it on the defensive .. Tea Partiers are having to spend far too much time trying to explain to bed-wetting liberals that they are not racists. In a sense, the Tea Partiers are guilty until proven innocent in the eyes of the ObamaMedia - it will be assumed that if you are a Tea Partier, you are a racist. That is, unless you can prove otherwise... and to a liberal there is no way for anyone with a conservative point of view to prove they are not racist.

So why do I bring this up? There was an article in the Washington Post: "Tea party groups battling perceptions of racism." In this article, it goes on to explain that according to a new Washington Post-ABC News polls, 61% of tea party opponents say that racism has a lot to do with the movement.
    Maybe Obama Zombie reporters like Luke Russert are part of the problem. Leading up to the elections this November we have 32 black Republicans running for office, which is apparently the biggest surge since reconstruction. So Luke Russert is doing a report on this "phenomenon," and he says ...

"Of these 32 [black] Republicans, GOP sources I spoke to said about four have a clear path to victory, like Mr. West of Florida, Mr. Parker of Arizona, Mr. Fraiser of Colorado [and] Mr. Scott of South Carolina. It's quite interesting that these candidates are soliciting support from the Tea Party, a group that a lot of folks claimed to be racist against African-Americans. These folks actually see them as someone they want in their tent as a path to victory."

Who exactly are these "lots of folks?" Those would be opponents of the Tea Party. But don't bother asking the people who are actually IN the party what they believe in and what motivates them. That would be too easy and logical for the ObamaMedia and ignorant liberals.

"Long ashes my friends."

phobicsquirrel:
    I know your all about letting the corporate world do what they do and want without any regulations but that doesn't work kuzi.
    you always say this and i always correct you. i am not for zero regulation. i am for letting them do what they want AS LONG AS THEY DO NOT VIOLATE THE RIGHTS OF OTHERS THAT is where the regulation comes in.
    got it?
    you may say you do, but you always make the same stupid mistake and misrepresent me on every occasion. its disrespectful, annoying, and part of the reason why nobody can cross any isles anymore. wanna talk hate? i HATE that.
    phobicsquirrel:
    I agree there can be too much govt involvement but the problem is there needs to be protections against our own interests.
    protections against self interest? that makes no sense at all. there need to be protections from others violating our rights. it is impossible for me to violate my own rights.
    phobicsquirrel:
    If the current mining incident was upheld to regulations that were already put in place then the minors wouldn't have had the devastating disaster. But instead regulations were not enforced.
    this is 100% true. the mine company violated the rights of the people working there. they should be punished. adding new regulations wont solve the problem, enforcing the regulations that were made to protect the rights of the miners will.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Just like so many other things. The same thing could be said of the BP disaster in the Gulf. The very safeguards that are used and mandated across most of the world aren't enforced here thus once again companies are able to destroy this country and make a buck.
    ...and besides Obama waiting many days they are actually holding BP accountable for their actions.

the only thing that i dont like about this is the talk shutting off all drilling in the gulf all together. not every rig is problematic. the disaster rate is way lower than tankers.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Most of the problems in this country are that the big wigs are not held accountable. Going from the president/vice president to large ceo's, hell even senators. But the little guys are always getting busted.
    ENRON
    B. Madoff
    2006 HP Spying Scandal....
    heck.. here is a list:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_corporate_scandals

id say they got busted.

on the same note, the little guy isnt made accountable for their finances. the government lets them off the hook all the time. that too needs to stop.
    phobicsquirrel:
    I've often wondered why some are so against govt but so for the private world? Is it not the private world who bankrupt this country?
    no. it wanst. ive told you this a hundred times. but i guess i have to tell you again. you have never even been able to make one arguemet against it beyond the talking point of "corporate greed"
    here we go...
    Every housing-related measure taken by Washington has made the standards for homeownership looser than they would be in a free market. Government has stepped in to override private companies’ aversion to undue risk. Regulators criticized banks for turning down too many mortgage applications. Regulators criticized banks for turning down too many mortgage applications. FNMA and FHLMC were created to encourage the issuance of mortgages that would not be prudent in a free market. The FDIC anesthetizes depositors against risks taken with their funds. And the entire Federal Reserve exists to pump paper money into the economy, and to keep interest rates artificially low--often below the rate of inflation--so that more lending occurs. Yet when this house of cards collapsed, it is capitalism that was denounced, and more government power that was demanded.

Given the broad scope of government intervention in the U.S. home mortgage sector through the GSEs, the maze of other agencies—such as the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), the Federal Housing Finance Board (FHFB), the Federal Housing Administration (FHA), the Federal Home Loan Bank (FHLB), and the Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight (OFHEO)—and the cascade of Congressional acts—such as the Fair Housing Act (1968), the Equal Credit Opportunity Act (1974), the Community Reinvestment Act (1977), the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (1975), the National Affordable Housing Act (1990), the Community Development and Regulatory Improvement Act (1994), the Home Ownership and Equity Protection Act (1994), and the American Dream Down Payment Act (2003)—it is simply ludicrous for anyone today to speak of the U.S. mortgage sector as having been a fully “free” market before the latest crisis. Only more ludicrous is the claim that the few free elements still remaining, but not the interventions, caused the crisis. Armed with its allegedly “noble” goal of increasing home ownership for the needy, the U.S. government has riddled the mortgage market with perverse incentives and unjust interventions that either compel or induce banks to lend to less-than-creditworthy borrowers, and thus to put themselves at greater risk of insolvency.

if it was not for Fanny and Freddie (government entities) being willing to buy up bad mortgages, the banks would not have taken on so many loans that we as risky as they were. we would not be in this mess now. simple as that.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Was it not the private world that raises our oil, and keeps this country from moving forward? Is it not the private world that is pumping all kinds of pills in our throats thus causing massive injury's years down the road? Is it not the private oil companies who cause massive spills and pollute our water?
    first: oil is what keeps us moving forward (for now). we still need it. without it we stop moving. when a better technology comes along, THAT will move us. oil is not the enemy, it is our friend. it is what the world uses at this point. we are working on new things that are better, but in the meantime, we need oil and we need it as cheaply as we can get it.

second:
    you have a serious misunderstanding of how capitalism and freedom work. those industries exist because there is a demand for them. there is a demand for them because freedom exists. if you take away either end of that, you take away freedom. i cannot violate my own rights, and if i give somebody money for a good or service that you dont like and that hurts me but not you, that is MY problem; it does not belong anyone else. this is what freedom is about. you dont get that.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Govt is the only thing that can keep all these things in line. However they are doing a poor poor job of it.
    they are doing a poor job of it because they cant do it. that is not what government is for.
    phobicsquirrel:
    This country needs a serious make-over. It would be nice if all of us could work together on it.
    it would be nice but you keep saying things like
    phobicsquirrel:
    I know your all about letting the corporate world do what they do and want without any regulations but that doesn't work kuzi.
    ...but we already discussed how you twist words to be in favor of more government.

i find it very interesting that you say:
    phobicsquirrel:
    I agree there can be too much govt
    but i have never once seen you argue in the favor of a limited government. you always argue in favor of more regulation, more taxes, more laws and rules, and most of this is not needed.

Krieg:
    Right now Democrats are pushing what they call a "financial reform" bill that some say will give large Wall Street firms a virtual green light to make risky investments with the understanding that the government will bail them out if things turn out poorly. Sweet deal, if you can get it ...
    this is EXACTLY what happened in the housing market.
  • jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Posts: 282
    Krieg:
    People may not realize it, but our country, the United States, is rapidly becoming nothing less than a giant economic support system for government. We are so very close to the point where Americans will no longer exist to pursue and fulfill their own potentials. We will exist for one purpose ... to support government and those who depend on government. It will become --- in fact to many on the left it has already become - morally repugnant and indefensible to exist for your own sake.

Welcome back to a new age of American slavery.
    The news last night said permanent (census peeps not included) Federal government jobs increased 20% this year. 20%!!! Who's supporting these jobs? Oh, yeah, the tax payer. Jobs in the private sector increased something like 9%. Ridiculous.