Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

Fun and Games

Comments

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    kaspera79:
    Hey Urbino , Why am I the only one who wants to play.
    I dunno, man. Do I smell fishy or something? Maybe nobody wants to be the first guinea pig who finds out what kind of trader I am.

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    How is it that guinea pigs got the reputation of being subjected to tests with possible unfavorable results. Very interesting..
  • Options
    Next try Phillies , Larry Bowa ?
  • Options
    Nope. Sorry.

Hint #2: the team had a famous infield, though this player wasn't part of it.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I'd like to take a Chance, but I am a bit too new, and I don't think I'll Evers have a sufficient cigar inventory to be more than a spectator. Anyway, I'm still Tinkering with my mini-humi :)
  • Options
    Okay, I have one more idea, but I can't see this as being a favorite player.. but it fits all the other clues ( i think ) still too early but I will be back shortly.. Hope there are no snipers.... better check the weeds before I stand up..
  • Options
    BFGarnerBFGarner Posts: 96
    Im going for a shot in the dark here. Dusty Baker LA Dodgers
  • Options
    Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! Nicely played, BF. Shoot me your info and I'll send out your goodies.

There were actually 2 players on that team who were favorite players of mine, both of whom became big league managers, and neither of whom were part of the famous infield (actually, the 2nd one wasn't in the majors until the famous infield had broken up). Only one has been an ESPN analyst, though, and that's Dusty Baker.

Just for fun, anybody know the other player I'm talking about?

(Oh, kas! Sniped again!)
  • Options
    BTW, My winnings from Scrambler arrived at noon today. I didn't have time to open the box and have a look, but I'm looking forward to it when I get home.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I was thinking Dusty Baker as the player, but didn't give much thought to the team as I had no intention of playing this round. kas is gonna win one of these days...maybe. :)
  • Options
    Oh, so my cigars aren't good enough for you, eh? I see how you are. No soup for you!
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    j0z3r:
    I was thinking Dusty Baker as the player, but didn't give much thought to the team as I had no intention of playing this round. kas is gonna win one of these days...maybe. :)
    At least you were in the ballpark. One, two, three strikes and I was out.. I grossly mis-interpreted the famous infield. As soon as I saw that I went to the Cubs and the greatest infield of all time -- I understand the Cubs and Cards have a healthy rivalry :) Although I was having a tough time with this "perennial contender" business. Thought it was a classic Cubs optimist (if there is such a thing) ;)
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    urbino:
    BTW, My winnings from Scrambler arrived at noon today. I didn't have time to open the box and have a look, but I'm looking forward to it when I get home.
    Couldn't have been your winnings from me, since I haven't sent them yet. (Sorry, btw.) I've been waiting for the post office to deliver my order of shipping boxes. I'm trying to avoid paying $3 for a shipping box at the post office when they will deliver a pack of 10 boxes to me for free. That $3 could go on a perfectly good smoke.

I'm also expecting a large order of sticks to be delivered tomorrow. I wanted to include 1 or 2 items from that in your package, so as soon as I get it tomorrow your sticks will go out, whether I've received the shipping materials or not.
  • Options
    hey urbino, I think that may have been those cigars I was sending your way. I managed to mail them on Sat., so those are probably the Cuban Parejos I sent you.
  • Options
    Urbino your clues were deceptive... I was thinking National league East.. I would never have gone with Dusty. I will get you next time, I see how you play !!!!
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    hey urbino, I think that may have been those cigars I was sending your way. I managed to mail them on Sat., so those are probably the Cuban Parejos I sent you.
    Oh, and so they are! Thanks, Joe. I had it in my head that you had told me you were going out of town for a while, but I see now that was sdip. I'll get your stogies sent off tomorrow. Sorry for the confusion/delay.

No hurry, Scrambler. As you can see, I've already got more going than I can keep up with, anyway.

What was deceptive, kas? You were thinking East just because the Cards were in the East?
  • Options
    Those are some big, bold lookin' fellas, Joe! I'll give 'em at least a few days to rest before trying one, but they smell good.

And thanks for throwing in the Gurkha Warlord! Another one I've never tried.
  • Options
    BFGarner:
    Im going for a shot in the dark here. Dusty Baker LA Dodgers
    Hey, BF. Check your Inbox.
  • Options
    urbino:
    Those are some big, bold lookin' fellas, Joe! I'll give 'em at least a few days to rest before trying one, but they smell good.

And thanks for throwing in the Gurkha Warlord! Another one I've never tried.
    They are some mighty large cigars....almost enough to cause a Freudian complex....almost. I liked the Warlord, and I'm trying to spread the good word, let me know what you think when you try that one. The Perdomos should smoke pretty good now, but a little resting surely won't hurt, make sure to post your thoughts when you try those out as well. Hope you enjoy them, those Perdomos are a winner in my book.

Joe
  • Options
    Yeah I guess and since you said they were consistantly pennant contenders I thought Reds, Astros, even Phillies don't know I am not a big fan of L.A. so I never followed them much. The reason is ( and I just figured this out, ) their uniforms stay too white.. There isn't a whiterer white than Dogers uniforms. Then with the famous infield but he didn't play in it What ?!?!. I knew Dusty managed , and analysed but was still concentrating on Division battles.. Very good contest, got me thinking and researching that one..
  • Options
    Sorry I misled you, man. It wasn't intentional. Garvey-Lopes-Russell-Cey is one of the most famous infields there's ever been, so I thought it'd be a good clue; and Dusty played with those guys, but obviously as an outfielder. From the mid 70s to the early 80s, in terms of consistently great teams, there were the Yankees, the Dodgers, and the Reds, and that was about it. Other teams had some great years here and there, but in terms of perennial contenders, it was pretty much those 3.

Care to go for the consolation question I asked? Get it and I'll send you a little summ'm summ'm.
  • Options
    Wellp I'll ask my question now. Who was my favorite baseball player? Hint 1: He was a closer.
  • Options
    Urbino, that's the fun of the game, working on Riddles, process of elimination twists, searching through the clues, I love that stuff Bro. you are the Riddler... perhaps I should confere with Batman next time.. I think your other favorite would be, Kirk Gibson, at least he was one of my favorite Dodgers..and Ron Cey only because he came over to the Cubs..
  • Options
    Cool. Just wanted to make sure. It's hard to read tone of voice on the internets.

Gibby was one of my favorites when he was with the Dodgers, as was the Penguin (since we're going all Batman), but I'm talking about another player who was on those early 80s teams with Baker, who also became a manager.
  • Options
    Yeah, if you knew me I do have a unique sense of humor..I truely never mean to offend or am offended. we are here to have fun, joke a little and share our passion..Hooters girls !!! oh, never mind this is Cigar.com you know what I meant. Are there Hooters in Tenn ?
  • Options
    Indeed there are.
  • Options
    Urbino....I know the answer now and it all seems to easy Mike Scioscia, I believe he was the catcher. And manages maybe the Angels? I better go check you made it to easy (I think) unless there is a rabbit up your sleeve and Burt Hooton Managed one game in 1998 at the All Star old timers game ..
  • Options
    Happy Hooton? Ha! Even I didn't know that. I did know he was the pitcher Reggie Jackson hit 4 homers off of in one WS game, though. I remember watching that game as a kid. Makes my stomach hurt to this day.

Yep, it's Scioscia, the catcher and now Angels manager. Nobody but nobody blocked the plate like Sosh. And he hit the key homer in the '88 NLCS to beat the Mets and send the Dodgers to that famous WS against the A's, in which Gibby hit his homer and Hershiser got 2 complete-game wins in a 5-game series the Dodgers were supposed to lose.

Nothing up my sleeve; I'm just happy to see you. Send me your contact info and I'll send you the consolation goodies.
  • Options
    ok, no guesses so I'm gonna keep going even though there were no guesses. Who's my favorite baseball player? Hint #1: He was a closer Hint #2: He is a lefty
  • Options
    I collect Baseball card too and I found a Bert Hooton Rookie.. in an old Topps set.. Where was his Golden Glove that day against Reggie ? I wonder " where is he now ? "