Home Cigar 101
Options

Thoughts on Cigar Dividers???

2»

Comments

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    ^ With your argument, a person could smoke a dog rocket and think it's better than a Cohiba - doesn't mean they're right or that their opinion has any truth to it
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    I agree that perception and mood plays a part in affecting the palate. However, that only goes so far. A simple experiment is a blind taste test involving the same cigar in and out of cello. Like Kuzi said, unless your name is Kelner or some of the other master blenders in the industry, you would be hard pressed to notice any difference at all.
  • Options
    sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    sightunseen:
    I agree that perception and mood plays a part in affecting the palate. However, that only goes so far. A simple experiment is a blind taste test involving the same cigar in and out of cello. Like Kuzi said, unless your name is Kelner or some of the other master blenders in the industry, you would be hard pressed to notice any difference at all.
    I had the pre-concieved notion they should be stored naked. Let some of the same sticks rest some with cello some without. No difference at all to me other than some without the cello had slight damage to the wrap from moving sticks or getting one to fire up. FYI they were also not segregated from my maduros. Still no difference.
  • Options
    rruffmanrruffman Posts: 16
    Yes this could be true but my main thing was the dividers keeping them apart from one another because I do not want them in cello because i don't like the way it looks in my humi and in my opinion i think they will breathe better maybe it makes a difference maybe it doesn’t I havn't tried a blind taste test. But one thing I do know is I have had cigar manufacturers say to remove the cello before storage and i have had some say its ok not too maybe its all related to the quallity of the cigar?? As I know Davidoff cigars never come in cello...
  • Options
    The issue of taste is not of cigars the have or not have cello its different types of cigars that do not have cello and are stacked next to one another. so the test would be to test cigars that are segregated and not segregated.
  • Options
    sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    It all boils down to its your humi and your sticks...
    Do what your comfortable with
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    rruffman:
    The issue of taste is not of cigars the have or not have cello its different types of cigars that do not have cello and are stacked next to one another. so the test would be to test cigars that are segregated and not segregated.
    My answer would remain the same; That there are no discernable differences. You should set up your experiment as two groups: First group should be a unsegegrated maduro next to a conneticut and second group is a segregated maduro and connecticut. I am recommending these two types of cigars because the highest possible chance of noticing any sort of marrying is between a nice oily maduro and a mild conneticut. Let them sit for a few weeks.

Then, have a second person note where each conneticut cigar came from and then mix them up for you in a blind taste test. I have done this experiment, albeit unintentionally, when I had stored my RP Conneticut next to a Gurkha Triple Ligero for 5+ months. I had the RP last week and the flavors remained the same.
  • Options
    sightunseen:
    rruffman:

My answer would remain the same; That there are no discernable differences. You should set up your experiment as two groups: First group should be a unsegegrated maduro next to a conneticut and second group is a segregated maduro and connecticut. I am recommending these two types of cigars because the highest possible chance of noticing any sort of marrying is between a nice oily maduro and a mild conneticut. Let them sit for a few weeks.

Then, have a second person note where each conneticut cigar came from and then mix them up for you in a blind taste test. I have done this experiment, albeit unintentionally, when I had stored my RP Conneticut next to a Gurkha Triple Ligero for 5+ months. I had the RP last week and the flavors remained the same.

Ill give it a shot...
  • Options
    24footjet24footjet Posts: 132
    Maybe rruffman has some financial interest in the cigar dividers?

If not, I can go cut up some spanish cedar in my shop and sell it to you for 1$ cheaper for the product and 1$ cheaper shipping if you would like:)
  • Options
    As stated they have been purchased already... 10 bucks means nothing to me I just prefer to insure my stick collection recieve the best possable conditions as possable as i do not buy any cheap cigars. its no different than someone who has interest in building a wine collection they want the absolute best conditions.
  • Options
    LeftFiveLeftFive Posts: 184 ✭✭
    I think the strife is mainly due to asking for advice, then refuting said advice when people are nice enough to give it.

I don't think anyone here has a problem with the way you want to store your cigars; if you wanted to clip and light the cap and smoke them backwards, that's your prerogative. I change my oil every 3000 miles, if I did it at 5000, would it make any difference? Probably not. If you want to buy and use those dividers, do it; but do it knowing that it's a superfluous preference.
    I can guarantee that no one will have a problem with that.

Thanks to Kuzi for the always enlightening answers, and usually answering ancillary questions we hadn't thought to ask.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    rruffman:
    As I know Davidoff cigars never come in cello...
    i have a few davidoffs in my humidor right now. all of them have cellophane on them. the only Davidoff i know of that does not come with cellophane is the Puro d'oro.
    plus at a recent Davidoff event i overheard the Davidoff rep telling a customer to leave it on when inquired.

Cellophane on or off is personal preference

you want it off. fine. you asked what i thought about dividers, i told you. you didnt like what i had to say. ok. do what you gotta do.