Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

5 vegas relic

ok fired one up tonight. i smoked a 1/4 and tossed it. may7be just me but dam i thought it was really strong ande bitey. do any of you guys enjoy these?

Comments

• Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I have a half written review of this stick floating around my PC somewhere. I like them, quite a bit actually.
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    I think this is the best smoke 5 Vegas has to offer. Well, maybe the triple A but it's pretty fantastic. You definitely need to let these rest though. They get SO much better after 6 months...
  • Options
    Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    I have one more to try, but so far the 2 I've had were horrible. I want to let the remaining one get a year or more on it and try dry boxing it, but so far these are a no go for me...
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I've tried 2 of these... and they tasted absolutely horrible!

• Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    fuentejps:
    ok fired one up tonight. i smoked a 1/4 and tossed it. may7be just me but dam i thought it was really strong ande bitey. do any of you guys enjoy these?
    Did you drybox it before lighting up? This is recommended for the Relic since it is such an oily cigar. The harshness you're experiencing may be due the lack of dryboxing. Also, I've heard a couple of people on the forums say the Relic gets good with some age on them (at least a year).
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    I really enjoy them. I let them all rest at least 8 months though. I did have one or two pretty fresh, and they weren't bad, but age does wonders for them.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had my first one and what a strange stick. Started off nasty but got really good. Don't know if I would buy a box though. Think I would rather have the CSII if I got a box. The Relic box is freaking cool though.
  • Options
    i got 2 5 vegas in a sampler pack for free a gold and a red label one they were both horrible. awfull smell and even worst taste wouldnt even take it fishing lol
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Gee, I'll dispose of them for ya.... can't say I've ever had a bad Relic and I've gone through two boxes. They greatly benefit from age; I also keep them at 60% humidity.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ejenne87:
    I think this is the best smoke 5 Vegas has to offer. Well, maybe the triple A but it's pretty fantastic. You definitely need to let these rest though. They get SO much better after 6 months...
    6 months is a bit young IMHO. i would let them sit for a year or two. I agree that they are a bit difficult when fresh. the potential is there. the only question is:
    is the patience?

• Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    ejenne87:
    6 months is a bit young IMHO. i would let them sit for a year or two. I agree that they are a bit difficult when fresh. the potential is there. the only question is:
    is the patience?

I think you're right. I've had one fresh, and one at 6 months, and there was little difference. At 6 it tasted like it still needed more rest. Personally I don't have the patience for this one, but others might.
  • Options
    ljlljl Posts: 819
    I had one straight off the truck. It was all over the place. Very tight draw and weird burn. Beat me up pretty bad too. Right now the plan is to give the rest form the pack about a year before I even go near 'em. There was a great esspresso - coffee flavor in there that was awesome, so I hope that will stick around...
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fuentejps:
    Yours was a close approximation of my first experience with these, except, I kept getting background hints of 'something-good', but by the time I was 1/3 in it was too strong. Looked around on the site, saw Kuzi's advice, which I find never leads me astray, and thought: "I'll give it another try if it comes up for a good deal". So, recently got a coupon for MOW, waited for a DD I wanted, and there they were. Picked up ten sticks with a plan of resting, etc. (My first one sat 5 or 6 months, still had issues). Well, the dry-boxing idea was presented on the DD, and when they came, I noticed that the cigars were out of round, as if they'd been sitting a long time already, which makes sense, since I figure the DD's are probably last years stock being cleared for new inventory. So, and this defies all conventional wisdom, right off the truck I clipped the ends (both) off of one, put it in an empty Perdomo box, gave it 72 hours, and truly enjoyed the cigar right down to about one inch! It would start to burn slightly uneven, then catch up. Lasted about 60 minutes, tasted good. I know this sounds weird, but, it's a weird cigar. If I'd tried this with a Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet (which I love) I'd have probably half choked to death. I know, because I tried one of those OTT, and learned to wait at least 3 months. So, I've set the other 9 to rest as planned, but will definetly dry-box before lighting.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    fuentejpsfuentejps Posts: 345
    i have 2 more. ill let them rest 6mths and 1 yr. they are labled so i should be gtg.
  • Options
    GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    Just had my first one of these tonight from the DD a few weeks ago.

I dryboxed and brought a Dos Equis and a Coke out with me.

If all of them smoke like this first one did, then these are going in my top 5 fav cigars.
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    GadwinDuil:
    Just had my first one of these tonight from the DD a few weeks ago.

I dryboxed and brought a Dos Equis and a Coke out with me.

If all of them smoke like this first one did, then these are going in my top 5 fav cigars.
    glad you enjoyed it bud, could you give us a quick review? I have one resting and I wanna get your input
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99:
    glad you enjoyed it bud, could you give us a quick review? I have one resting and I wanna get your input
    Sure thing, my friend! I actually planned to give a review when I first made the comment, but in truth, I was so loopy after smoking that thing that I couldn't think straight for about an hour!

It smelled good prelight, and the draw seemed a bit tight at first, which really shouldn't be a suprise with a Perfecto, so I'm not holding that against it and I don't think anyone else should.

With that being said there were a few things about this cigar the were unique and I've never experienced before.... notably was the fact that I HAD to ash it about every inch or so, because I'd noticed that very quickly it began to snuff itself! The draw loosened up perfectly after the first quarter inch and that little perfecto lip was gone but with about an inch of ash on the end, it just couldn't keep a cherry going, so I had to ash it and it would immediately open right back up again. I only touched up the burn once when one side began burning quite a bit faster than the other but after the touchup it quickly evened out again and didn't need anymore help. It lasted probably just under 90 minutes or so.

The taste was just great, very very smooth with a rich tobacco and slightly chocolate taste - and when I blew it out my nose it didn't offend or burn or anything, I'd even go to say the smoke was even more smooth when exhaled from the nose.

This thing was an effing chimney, btw. The wind was barely existant while I was smoking so I'd take a big draw, and between the cigar smoking and me releasing it, I'd just be in a cloud for a few moments until it dispersed... I always appreciate it when cigars do that because it's always aggrevating to have to take big draws to have a regular amount of smoke to taste.

It wasn't until a little over halfway that it really started kicking my ass too, but I was prepared! The first half I enjoyed my Dos Equis with and they paired fairly well, but when I began getting light headed, I went for my Cola (Which I was told by a veteran BOTL a while back that when you smoke fulls, you should drink Cola if you begin getting light headed because the sugar helps ground you or something)

The taste of the cigar was extremely consistant for me. From the first inch all the way to burning my fingers on the nub it was very pleasant and rich smoke. I could very easily see why some people have said that it was overpowering though, because it is quite bold, but no where near harsh.

In all simplicity it really was just a very smooth and tasty 'gar, imo... DEFINITELY drybox this thing first though. This thing still was dark and oily and I can only imagine how much trouble you'd have with burn issues if it were smoked straight out of a 65% humidor, and a nightmare it'd be from higher.

Rereading this review it doesn't tell you a whole lot about the cigar and I apologize for that but I hope it helped. The only real things I can warn you for are:
    Drybox drybox drybox
    And prepare for a full bodied cigar

If you go into this thinking you arn't going to get at least a little lightheaded, then save it for another time.

P.S. If this thing were 10 inches long... I think I still would have got it to burn my fingers, I truly enjoyed it that much... but don't go into this thing expecting my same experience because I can very very easily see this cigar being so powerful out of the gates to put someone off of it in the first inch.
  • Options
    Sorry that my review is so long guys... but this cigar really is unique imo, and I felt I needed to exlpain why I made most of my observations.

I think you'll all forgive me though :-P
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GadwinDuil:
    Sorry that my review is so long guys... but this cigar really is unique imo, and I felt I needed to exlpain why I made most of my observations.

Good review! I don't think it could have been said in fewer words, because this beast defies all convention, it just doesn't behave like other cigars but is definetly worth the extra effort. I've had my 3rd one now, 24 hours dry box pre-light, with a shot of dark rum and loved it. Don't think I could have had two shots. I will be watching for it on future deals, still have a few left.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    GadwinDuil:

I like the Relic, probably my favorite vegas! Have you had the cask 2? I don't think it's as good as the Relic but along the same lines. Not as strong though.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    phobicsquirrel:
    GadwinDuil:

I like the Relic, probably my favorite vegas! Have you had the cask 2? I don't think it's as good as the Relic but along the same lines. Not as strong though.
    Personally I found the Relic to have a larger flavor profile than the Cask II. I like the Cask II, but for me the Relic blows it away. I don't care much about the strength of cigars, but the depth of flavor IS important, and for me, the Relic is the best 5V.
  • Options
    docbp87:
    phobicsquirrel:
    GadwinDuil:

Personally I found the Relic to have a larger flavor profile than the Cask II. I like the Cask II, but for me the Relic blows it away. I don't care much about the strength of cigars, but the depth of flavor IS important, and for me, the Relic is the best 5V.
    I'd agree. For some reason I really like the first 3rd of the cask but it just sort of flattens out.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    GadwinDuil:

The only 5V I've yet to have are the limitadas, cask I and II, and AAA. Some 5V I like more than others, but the Relic is definitely my fav 5V so far. I have a couple orders of the Cask II coming from the DD the other day that I'm excited about - and I have a couple DD of the Limitada '10 from a couple weeks ago that are resting before I have one
  • Options
    GadwinDuil:
    phobicsquirrel:
    GadwinDuil:

The only 5V I've yet to have are the limitadas, cask I and II, and AAA. Some 5V I like more than others, but the Relic is definitely my fav 5V so far. I have a couple orders of the Cask II coming from the DD the other day that I'm excited about - and I have a couple DD of the Limitada '10 from a couple weeks ago that are resting before I have one
    The limited line isn't horrible but not great. I like the 08 the best, the '10 I'll give it another go after a few months but it wasn't overly impressive either. though they probably are one of the cheapest limited type of cigar. 20 of them for like 100 bucks is pretty good. I wish camacho's 3x maddy's or opus x's were that cheap!
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Smoking one right now. Sweet, cinnamon, mocha, tobacco, really nice. Halfway in right now and really liking it.
  • Options
    I know this thread is a bit old but I'm glad Cabby awakened it. Just wanted to toss in that my opinion of this cigar has only improved since I wrote the review back in June. I've had well over a dozen of these sticks since and haven't been disappointed once. Even have told many people at my cigar club about them and handed out about 10 samples of them and haven't had a single person tell me they didn't love it afterward.

I'm actually about (_this_) close to getting the cigar bar owner where my weekly cigar club is held to start stockign them regularly in the bar because I've given him two of them and he really enjoyed them.
  • Options
    I agree they do seem to meld well after a while. I wish they had better burns to them but overall I like them.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Mine burned fine, tasted great with 5 hours rest.
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    ejenne87:
    is the patience?

not sure who sent this relic to me ( and how long they had it ) but i put in my humi in may burn is good and smoking fine, nice flavors to me, maybe my favorite vegas yet
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    jj20030:
    kuzi16:
    ejenne87:
    is the patience?

not sure who sent this relic to me ( and how long they had it ) but i put in my humi in may burn is good and smoking fine, nice flavors to me, maybe my favorite vegas yet
    gotta dig mine out and see what the date on em is.