Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

5 vegas relic

2»

Comments

• Options
    Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    I seem to find that resting almost every 5V is a necessity...they seem to be sent out a little young and really get good after 4-10 months in a humi
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    I seem to find that resting almost every 5V is a necessity...they seem to be sent out a little young and really get good after 4-10 months in a humi
    i can see that. i feel that the series A suffers the least from this.
    im guessing it has to do with the amount of fermentation that this cigar gets compared to the others.
  • Options
    dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Ahh this discussion about resting for years and dry boxing etc. is crap. If I take a rotten piece of wood in the yard and do enough stuff to it I could probably make it taste good. Bottom line is if you have to do all that to a cigar then it should not have been sent out for sale bc its just not ready. I have tried the Relic and always had burn and draw issues. Too many good sticks ROTT to be putting up with this stuff...it is a 2nd rate cigar. Period.
  • Options
    dowjr1:
    Ahh this discussion about resting for years and dry boxing etc. is crap. If I take a rotten piece of wood in the yard and do enough stuff to it I could probably make it taste good. Bottom line is if you have to do all that to a cigar then it should not have been sent out for sale bc its just not ready. I have tried the Relic and always had burn and draw issues. Too many good sticks ROTT to be putting up with this stuff...it is a 2nd rate cigar. Period.
    i disagree.
    i understand and agree that there are many cigars that are good ROTT. however, just because it is not what you look for and has issues ROTT does not mean that the cigar is 2nd rate.
    as you said, it may mean that it is not ready.
    of course, ready for one person may not be ready for another. the last time i had one it did have a young taste to it. i still feel that there is a lot of potential for this cigar. the jury is still out of how good it will be and how long it will take to get there. I feel that when we start talking years, there is potential. this will probably tone down the harsh element to it and let the youth dissipate.
    this may or may not kill any of the power there.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    kuzi16:
    dowjr1:
    i disagree.
    i understand and agree that there are many cigars that are good ROTT. however, just because it is not what you look for and has issues ROTT does not mean that the cigar is 2nd rate.
    as you said, it may mean that it is not ready.
    of course, ready for one person may not be ready for another. the last time i had one it did have a young taste to it. i still feel that there is a lot of potential for this cigar. the jury is still out of how good it will be and how long it will take to get there. I feel that when we start talking years, there is potential. this will probably tone down the harsh element to it and let the youth dissipate.
    this may or may not kill any of the power there.
    What kind of stick was it? Ring gauge? Maduro or Natural dirt on it? Smoke time? Box price? Finally... does C.Com stock them?
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    dowjr1:
    I disagree and agree with this. Here's my thoughts.. Dryboxing works and its just one of those things, and some sticks benefit by this. With that aside, a cigar should be enjoyable as soon as its purchased, now theres nothing wrong in resting to "Improve" the flavor/smokeability. But when it becomes a neccessity, I'm out. I dont want to have to think about how long a cigar has rested before it meets my torch. I would rather just purchase another cigar, one that I can fire up anytime, without having to breakout the chicken bones and check the celestial calendar before smoking. I have no love for the Relic
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    The Kid:
    dowjr1:
    I disagree and agree with this. Here's my thoughts.. Dryboxing works and its just one of those things, and some sticks benefit by this. With that aside, a cigar should be enjoyable as soon as its purchased, now theres nothing wrong in resting to "Improve" the flavor/smokeability. But when it becomes a neccessity, I'm out. I dont want to have to think about how long a cigar has rested before it meets my torch. I would rather just purchase another cigar, one that I can fire up anytime, without having to breakout the chicken bones and check the celestial calendar before smoking. I have no love for the Relic
    Some of the finer things in life require and deserve a little time to be of peak quality before consumption. I am thinking of wines, cheeses, meats, and YES cigars.
    The arguement that a cigar SHOULD be good ROTT is like saying a bottle of wine should be ready to drink as soon as it is bottled, or a fine steak should be cooked right after it is cut from the cow. It is just not reasonable to expect these things.
    If a person does not have the patience it takes to age a cigar properly then they should either buy only aged sticks (yes it can be done) or they will need to find a different stick which meets their taste requirements ROTT and leave the sticks which DEFINATLEY improve with some age to those who do possess the patience to wait for a cigar to meet its peek. The Relic is a fine smoke.
  • Options
    laker1963:
    The Kid:
    dowjr1:
    Some of the finer things in life require and deserve a little time to be of peak quality before consumption. I am thinking of wines, cheeses, meats, and YES cigars.
    The arguement that a cigar SHOULD be good ROTT is like saying a bottle of wine should be ready to drink as soon as it is bottled, or a fine steak should be cooked right after it is cut from the cow. It is just not reasonable to expect these things.
    If a person does not have the patience it takes to age a cigar properly then they should either buy only aged sticks (yes it can be done) or they will need to find a different stick which meets their taste requirements ROTT and leave the sticks which DEFINATLEY improve with some age to those who do possess the patience to wait for a cigar to meet its peek. The Relic is a fine smoke.
    LOL
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    ejenne87:
    I think this is the best smoke 5 Vegas has to offer. Well, maybe the triple A but it's pretty fantastic. You definitely need to let these rest though. They get SO much better after 6 months...
    i actually put one of these in my 4,000th post pass.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    Sounds like a pretty love it or hate it smoke. It's one of the few 5 Vegas cigars I've not tried. I just have this and the Limitada 2011 to try and I'll be caught up.
  • Options
    Yea,, It cracks me up, in seeing how one persons opinion can differ so much from another,,Oh the wonderful world of cigars..I think its aptly named because that what this stick has to become before it can be smoked...lol..Btw In general I love 5 Vegas sticks
  • Options
    grannejagranneja Posts: 382
    Lol
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    My.02 - got a Relic in a CotM package some years ago. HATED IT.

Got a 5 Vegas AAA in a CotM package some yers ago. HATED IT.

Found a 5 Vegas AAA at the bottom of the coolidor that someone had bombed me with who knws how long ago. Figured "what the he11" and fired it up.

Immediately upon finishing THAT 5 Vegas AAA, I went online and ordered a box, the aged stick was that good.

Ive had this experience with several sticks since Ive been in the hobby. Aging can make a HUGE difference, and might with the Relic as well.

• Options
    The Sniper:
    Aging can make a HUGE difference, and might with the Relic as well.

maybe they were trying to subliminally tell us all something with a name like RELIC. As in, keep yo damn hands off it and let it rest. Just my .02
  • Options
    cholmes8310:
    The Sniper:
    Aging can make a HUGE difference, and might with the Relic as well.

maybe they were trying to subliminally tell us all something with a name like RELIC. As in, keep yo damn hands off it and let it rest. Just my .02
    i would think that this would be mentioned in the overview of the cigar or 5 vegas would make note of it somewhere.
    maybe not. its kind of a cool idea. i mean, there are wines that are made to age 50 years before opening.
  • Options
    ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    Pulled this up on search after firing one up tonight. I had read some reviews saying this stick was worthless so I wasn't expecting much. Maybe I have terrible taste, but I really didn't think this was a bad smoke. Curious if anyone who said they were going to let them sit has tried them since?
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they are great smokes!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're not awful, plenty out there that deserve that label more
  • Options
    ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    I got a few in a sampler and thought they were gross. Gave the rest to a friend though and he loved them.
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    With age they aren't bad...would I go out and buy them...no. But there's a ton I wouldn't go out and buy
    Money can't buy taste