Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Fourto Review

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    holy crap. i remember it a bit better than that. i have a bolivar tubo from 06 in my humi that i cant wait to crack open. the ones ive had before were chocolate and coffee. i do remember a bit of harsh, but i also remember thinking it would be good with a few years of age on them. ... hence the one in the box.
    it has been a few years since i had a Bolivar though...

dont discount them yet. get another. throw it in the humi for a year or so, try again. there are many sticks that are not good fresh or that i liked better once they had some time on em.

the original punch line is a good example. i didnt like the first one... a year later i tried one of the others from a 5 pack i got and i liked it. it kinda made me mad that i gave away two others only leaving me with one more with age.

• Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    This was not an ISOM Bolivar.
  • Options
    Fourtotheflush:
    AJ Fernandex Signature Series
    5x48 Robusto around there
    Been in Humi for 3 weeks

LOOK
    Cigars is not the most perfectly wrapped cigar. Wrapper is bunched in places and stretched thin in places. A few lifts in the wrapper where there is a seam and 3 main veins running through most of the stick. The Band really compliments the look of this cigar.
    FEEL
    Feel is ok, no soft spots and it is rather solid around the band area.
    SMELL
    Cigar gives off the tobacoo barnyard smell (Kuzi, Did you coin the barnyard smell phrase? If so it is appropriat with this stick)
    LIGHT
    I light this with a single torch and I actually toast the wrapper a little bit down the stick with a mis hit of the lighter about 1/8 of an inch down.

Ok so I torch this one up and I am overwhealmed with a black pepper flavor! It is all over my palate and mouth. At this point I am hoping that this pepper flavor will subside and will mellow out. The 1st 1/3 of this cigar is almost total pepper. I am thinking at the 1/3 mark that this is a FULL BODIED FULL FLAVORED cigar.

The second third seemed like someone turned off the pepper faucet. The pepper totally died out and a smooth earthy nutty flavor came out. I had a real hard time putting my foot down on any more description of the flavors other than earth and nut.

The last 3rd was really smooth and woody/cedary. A very nice flavor.

This is probably one of the most complex smokes that I have had. This is the opposite of spring time in New England that comes in like a lamb and goes out like a lion! This sucker came in like a lion and came out like a lamb.

I would put this cigar in the medium body with full complex flavor. I would say that the 1st 3rd was Full body and the last third was mild to medium. But the flavor profile could have been affecting that feeling.

I would smoke this cigar again.
    I would buy this cigar again.
    This is an above average cigar for me.
    I would recomend this cigar, but not to newbie newbies.
    I consider myself a newbie, but if I had this one as my 1st couple of sticks I would not have picked another cigar up again for quite some time.
    4/5 = Most complex cigar I can remember smoking.

Ive had 3-4 of these in the robusto size. I have to say that I think the above review is pretty much on the mark. The 1st third maybe a little less harsh than I describe but is very peppery. I have a few more resing in the same blend in different sizes that I am looking forward to trying. Enjoy.
  • Options
    Romeo Y Julieta Reserva Real

I'm not doing a full review of this.
    Ive had two of these now. 1 was a gift from Cholmes and I smoked it right out of the B&M.
    The thing flowered on me and I struggled the whole time with it.
    I was told that was very unusual so I gave another one a shot - this one came from Ccom and I let it rest for a few weeks after getting it into my humi.

This cigar was AWESOME! It is a great morning smoke with a cup of coffee. Definately on the mild to mild/medium side for body. The body complements the creamy velvety flavors that come out of this cigar. I paired it with a cup of coffee and will be having more and ordering more. I smoke it past the band and almost to the nub without a singe burn issue. No tough ups! No Re-Lights! No hot smoke issues etc.

Enjoy
    Fourto
  • Options
    Montecristo Platinum Vintage 1999 #3
    5.5x44
    Wrapper: Mexico Cubano
    Binder: Dominican
    Filler: Dom & Nic
    In Humi approx 8/2009
    Smoked 3/8/2010

Cigar has a nice rustic appearance. It has two silver (platinum bands and looks nice) The wrapper is a bit worn, tattered and thick, toothy giving it a nice rustic appearance. The color is a nice dark brown like a stained wood. There is 1 major chip in the wrapper down near the 1st band. It looks like it will be troublesome when I get there.

Pre-light -
    Smells nice, tobacco and pepper spice.
    The cigar feels fine until the band area where it is Rock Hard.
    I give it a draw test and it it tight!
    I get some really nice flavors out of the pre draw.
    I roll the cigar in my fingers a little to try and loosen it up a bit.
    Light

I light with my torch lighter. No problems with the light, but still a tight draw.
    Despite the tight draw the burn is nearly flawless in the 1st 1/4 inch.

1st Flavors are very nice, a smooth, not harsh, pepper spice, tobacco & earthy.
    At this point i think of Joe Camel - For that Smooth Tobacco Flavor.

at the 1st third the flavors are dancing around a bit. It is still a tight draw and Im working it to loosen it up.
    Flavors are still smooth tobacoo & earth, but there is a really nice full flavor quality I cannot really put my finger on.
    The pepper subsides at this point.
    2nd third Flavors are much the same with a pronounced full flavor I cannot put my finger on. (I chalk this up to being my 1st cigar since early January, I cannot beleive it is march).
    Final third.

Things start really tightening up with the draw and I have to work this to get some smoke out of it. At this point it no longer is enjoyable and I put it down.

Overall this cigar is a little fuller flavored and body than I expected. I can feel it a little bit. I think its becuaus I havent had a cigar in quite a while. I think if I smoke this again in the summer I would put it firmly in the low Medium Category, but for me right now it is medium - full.
    I smoke this for about 45 minutes and probably would have gotten a little over an hour out of it without the plug. I would smoke this again as I liked the flavors despite the plug. Im thinking I will try it in a different vitola, maybe a Robusto or Toro.

Many Thanks to Cholmes for this cigar he gifted to me last summer and it has had about 6-7 months of rest on it.

Im not going to put a score on it as the jury is out with the plug in the final 3rd, but without the plug it would be fairly well received.

Enjoy.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Medium-bodied is where I would put it, too, Four.

That's a shame about the construction issue. I've never had a plugged Monte. Reliable construction is one of the reasons I like them so much.

(By the way, "plugged Monte" sounds like the name of an unspeakable sex act.)
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Rob1110:
    To anyone looking to try this one. Macanudo is running a promotion on them - 3 for $10 with shipping. I haven't tried mine yet but I'm sure that's cheaper than the local shops will be. Just do a google search for macanudo 1968. I normally don't go with macanudo's as they're a bit bland, but for that price, it's worth it to try them.
    Do you have a link to the promotion price?
  • Options
    fla-gypsy:
    Rob1110:
    To anyone looking to try this one. Macanudo is running a promotion on them - 3 for $10 with shipping. I haven't tried mine yet but I'm sure that's cheaper than the local shops will be. Just do a google search for macanudo 1968. I normally don't go with macanudo's as they're a bit bland, but for that price, it's worth it to try them.
    I think that this promo is long over.
  • Options
    Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    Fourtotheflush:
    fla-gypsy:
    Rob1110:
    did anyone take advantage of it? I'd be interested to see whether or not that macadoodoo was as tasteless as the others. ;)
  • Options
    Alex Williams:
    Fourtotheflush:
    fla-gypsy:
    Rob1110:
    did anyone take advantage of it? I'd be interested to see whether or not that macadoodoo was as tasteless as the others. ;)
    I went to a promo event for this. It is much stronger than most Macs and it has a little more flavor. But from what I remember it just seemed off. Im have 3-4 aging now that have 1.5 years on them, and Ill probably dust one off this summer to see how it is progressing. Im not Anti Macanudo, but I think its a really good beginner cigar. Just like bud or miller, you drink them, you like them, you move on to better tasting beer. You go back and drink them and realize they are crap.
  • Options
    Ghurka Centurion
    The Centurion listed on Ccom is listed as the double X - Is that a new blend for the same cigar?

6x60 double perfecto
    Filler - Dominican
    Binder - ??
    Wrapper - Listed as connnecticut?? Doesnt look like a connie

In Humi 9/08, smoked 3/10
    Ill research the origins a little more and edit them later.
    I will say I have had 1 centurion prior to this and wasnt impressed as I had construction issues the whole way!

The Look
    The look of this cigar is perfect. It is a double perfecto tapered to a point on the head and with a little nipple on the foot.
    The wrapper is flawless, perfectl wrapped and had the apparent definition of tooth on the wrapper (little bumps). It looked like I took the cigar out in the cold and it got goosebumps.
    The feel is solid without any soft spots.
    I am worried as this cigar had construction problems in the past and I am not smoking in the best conditions.
    It is raining and we are going to be smoking under a tailgating canopy.

The Cut
    I cut the head and snip just a bit off the tip just past the nipple. Both cuts are nearly perfect. The head has a bit of loose wrapper that doesnt appear that it will pose a problem.

The Light
    I light it up with my triple flame. no problems. The first flavors are nice and smooth tobacco.
    I am getting lots of interesting flavors from this cigar. Really lots of different dancing spices.

Im not going to cut this up into thirds because I didnt take any notes and I cannot really remember all the different flavors. I will say that I really liked this cigar, it was very complex. I would put this cigar firmly in the Medium body with Full Flavor.

I am very happy that I dusted this cigar off again, I have another one aging in the humi and will most likely have it this spring/summer.

I am interested in knowing if the Centurion cigar with the Centurion band is a different blend than the old Centurions or if it is just an added band for cigar recognition!
    If anyone knows you can save me a few minutes of research!

• Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Good that you liked the second one. I smoked one a few months ago and it was good, but not great. I didn't find it very complex at all, but it did burn very well. I've got one more waiting on me to try her again. Hopefully I get that full flavor you talked about.
  • Options
    TatuajeVI:
    Good that you liked the second one. I smoked one a few months ago and it was good, but not great. I didn't find it very complex at all, but it did burn very well. I've got one more waiting on me to try her again. Hopefully I get that full flavor you talked about.
    The ones I have are before they started putting the 2nd band on them. Do you have the ones with the single Ghurka Band or the ones with the second Centurion Band?
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Sweet review!
    I think this is one of my all time favorite sticks.

• Options
    Fourtotheflush:
    TatuajeVI:
    The ones I have are before they started putting the 2nd band on them. Do you have the ones with the single Ghurka Band or the ones with the second Centurion Band?
    Oh, the one without the Centurion band. No idea if the blend changed since they added the band. I hope they just got yelled at by enough of their distributors for having the same band, but in different colors, and decided to add a label.
  • Options
    Just like the prior posters namesake!

Tajuaje VI
    Angeles 4.6 x 42
    Nicaraguan Puro
    Smoked 3/19/2010 Been in humi approx 1 month
    This was in a Mooch Package from Brandon! thanks buddy!

The look
    This is similar in size to a corona. The cigar is perfect. No flaws to report. Feels nice looks great.
    Not squishy, not rock. The color is a dark brown smooth seamless wrapper with minimal veins and minimal tooth.

Prelight
    Perfect cut with a double blade
    Smells of tobacco, no flavor on the draw other than tobacco and pepper.
    This surprised me, I cannot remember a cigar that I smoked that tasted like pepper on the prelight draw.
    The draw is a bit tight, but Im moving forward and dont think it will hamper me.

Im very happy at this point because I have been looking forward to this cigar and thigs are shaping up for a nice smoke.
    This is my happy place

The Light, I light this with a torch and get a near perfect light on it.
    There is copious amounts of smoke despite the somewhat tight draw.
    The first few draws are Pepper, Pepper & Smooth Tobacoo. This is really a hearty cigar at this point. I am thinking this is a heavyier version of an AJ Signature Series.

The 1st Third
    This cigar starts out with a few puffs of a pepper blast, then smooth tobacco with a long finish. On the first third this finish had Tobacco, Earth & Roasted Nut (peanut and almond). It was delicious.
    By the end of the 1st third the draw opens up a bit to a normal to tight draw - I am not concerned at this point
    The second third

The Roasted Nut flavor subsided. It was there for about puff 4 - 8 then dropped right off. The other flavors remained the same.

The last third
    Flavors were about the same, but the pepper really smoothed out. It was there but wasnt really a pepper blast at this point.
    Maybe it was still a pepper blast and my palate adjusted to it, but it felt smoother at this point.

I smoked this just past the band point. Total Smoke time, just under 1 hour. The burn on this cigar required no touch ups. The burn line was a bit wavy but never to a point where I even had to think about hitting it with a touchup.

I will say again Thanks to Brandon! This cigar was GREAT. Really smooth, really flavorful!
    I would smoke this cigar again and will seek it out to buy it in this size and in others.
    I smoked this after lunch and I think it would be slightly better served after a nice hearty dinner.
    Just my opinion here, but the feel and boldness of flavors of it puts it here. Not really the strenght as I would put this as a solid medium.
    Brandon did say that this is his favorite vitola of this cigar.

• Options
    My favorite vitola for that as well, though I haven't tried the lancero yet. I had the robusto on Wednesday - very good as well, but it had less spice/strength than the Angeles. I was smoking with a friend of mine last night and asked him, "Why don't we have a box of the Angeles?!" One of my favorite cigars, and it's at a great price point.
  • Options
    TatuajeVI:
    My favorite vitola for that as well, though I haven't tried the lancero yet. I had the robusto on Wednesday - very good as well, but it had less spice/strength than the Angeles. I was smoking with a friend of mine last night and asked him, "Why don't we have a box of the Angeles?!" One of my favorite cigars, and it's at a great price point.

Yeah, the price on these isnt bad considering the quality of this stick.

• Options
    Ill put up a mini review shortly, but in short I liked this cigar. It was tasty. I would smoke this again, I will also seek it out to smoke it again. I had wrapper problems with this one and I would seek it out again. I think this says something about this cigar.
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Fourtotheflush:
    Ill put up a mini review shortly, but in short I liked this cigar. It was tasty. I would smoke this again, I will also seek it out to smoke it again. I had wrapper problems with this one and I would seek it out again. I think this says something about this cigar.
    hurry the heck up and get the review up. I smoked this Saturday, and don't feel like doing the review. I just want to comment on yours. And I really enjoyed it. Great burn, no problems at all. So hurry up!
  • Options
    Fourtotheflush:

so I forgot to post my review and now I have lost the memory of most of the flavor. Anyway I remember it was good and had a great burn despite some wrapper problems I gave the cigar.

Flavors of earth, minimal spice. I remember some cedar and some nut. It was more creamy than toasty. Had lots of smoke output and no burn issues despite the cracked & peeling wrapper.

So the wrapper issue that I provided to this cigar. I bought it at a B&M and it had no cello on it.
    When I took it out of my humi I was also packing up some sticks for a night of poker. i took out my beads to root around. ( my beads are in a drawstring nylon bag.)

I had a bunch of cigars out and was putting them back into the humi. I had my poker cigars set out and when to put my beads back in the humi. picked up the bag and the Illusione went flying across the room the edge of the drawstring was under the cigar. The illusione wrapper cracked and peeled. I didnt smoke it that night , but did a week or so later.
    Fortunately it didnt kill the cigar. It limited it to about and hour smoke instead of a 1.5 - 2 hours smoke.

• Options
    Cabaiguan Belicosos Finos 5.5 x 52
    Filler & Binder Nicaragua
    Wrapper Equadorian Connecticut Seed
    Rolled in Miami
    Smoked 4/2 been in humi since 2/24

The Scene
    I smoked this cigar while walking to a concert - The Drive By Truckers.
    So I was in a good mood and the weather was perfect. Maybe a little on the chilly side.

The Look
    Medium brown smooth wrapper, no flaws, minimal veins, perfect cap. Some cracks at the foot of the cigar that I knew wouldnt be problematic as they would be gone after the 1st few puffs.

The Cut
    Cut with my new Xicar just where I feel it is perfect - only in my opinion of course

The light - i toast it lightly with my Nibo triple. No issues looks great.

1st third
    First third produced full flavors of earth, no spice and some wood, a little sweetness in here, maybe a little sweet nut or something. Definately a touch of sweetness that I couldnt really put my finger on. At this point I was thinking that this was going to be a great cigar, full bodied, complex and full flavored. about the end of the 1st third I needed a touch up as the cigar was canoeing.

2nd third
    Flavors are much the same, the full bodied that I thought was coming, as I felt it in my belly the 1st third never showed up. The flavors were about the same nothing surprising or remarkable. I think that there was at least 1 touch up in this third.

final third
    Flavors are much the same whith the sweetness disappearing. A little bit of bitter tobacco dancing in there, probably due to the cigar getting shorter and maybe due to the touchups. I have 1 or 2 touch ups in this third as it continues to canoe.

Overall
    Overall the continuous touching up of this cigar was a little annoying. I think I could have gotten about another half hour out of this one without the touch ups.
    I smoked this for about and hour and twenty minutes.
    this cigar was definately good and tasty, the construction problems were concerning (maybe not enough rest). It wasnt very complex, but thats ok as long as the consistant flavors are good.
    This cigar is right where I want it power wise. Settled firmly in medium. I thought it was going to be full, this thought process helped me really slow the pace down, cuz I was worried about the strenght at the start.
    I would smoke this cigar again, I wouldnt seek it out as I paid B&M price for this one. About the same listed on ccom MSRP. If I came accross it I wouldnt turn it down though.
    For the price I paid I could get 2 other cigars that are significantly better IMHO.

• Options
    Oh yeah, the drive by truckers concert was great
  • Options
    One you need to try is the El Triunfador. It's a Cabiguan but with a maduro wrapper in a lancero size. I enjoy the cabaiguan, but the El Triunfador was RIDICULOUS.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    You sure about that Phil? The Triunfador and Cabaiguan taste nothing alike to me, even accounting for the different wrapper. Also, I had heard somewhere that the Triunfador original blend was the same as La Riqueza, which sounds a bit closer to me.
  • Options
    I am always up for trying new cigars! I think I have to work down my stock for a bit. Ive got 3-4 new ones in the humi now that i want to try. Oliva V Maduro, Padilla Dominus, RP 1961, A couple DPG (cuban classic, 601 green) and on Monday I have the new MOW virtuoso coming in! I will smoke one of those bad boys right out of the box!
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    You sure about that Phil? The Triunfador and Cabaiguan taste nothing alike to me, even accounting for the different wrapper. Also, I had heard somewhere that the Triunfador original blend was the same as La Riqueza, which sounds a bit closer to me.
    I read this on another forum that Pete Johnson posted up himself - I could be wrong, of course, but that is what he posted.

Here's the link: El Triunfador "The blend is very simply a Cabaiguan Maduro in a Lancero size."

I completely agree that they taste nothing alike, btw. Which is completely strange when you consider what he posted. :)
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    TatuajeVI:
    j0z3r:
    I read this on another forum that Pete Johnson posted up himself - I could be wrong, of course, but that is what he posted.

Here's the link: El Triunfador "The blend is very simply a Cabaiguan Maduro in a Lancero size."

I completely agree that they taste nothing alike, btw. Which is completely strange when you consider what he posted. :)
    that is interesting...either way, I dig the El Triunfador (original Lancero) hands and fists over the Cabaiguan Maduro. It could be the size, but even the wrappers on the Cabaiguan Maduros have more of a maduro looks (oily sheen) than the El Triunfador (even though neither are a true maduro, atleast to my knowledge).
  • Options
    ISOM Fonseca Corona
    Wrapper, binder, filler: ISOM
    5x42 Corona
    In humi 8/28/09 - Sacrificed to the BOTL gods 4/7/10

I got a box of these from my brother many years ago and I remember them being good.
    I smoked them all except 1 and that one ended up getting dried out and I gave it away.
    A relative went up north of Maine and picked up a few for me.
    The were a gift, but I beleive that they were almost $20 per.

The Look
    The cigar comes wrapped in tissue and then the band is wrapped around that tissue.
    The cigar slides out of the band and tissue fairly easily after I cannot peel the glue on the band and just try to slide it out.
    The cap is perfect and there are no blemishes on the wrapper. It is a medium brown wrapper with moderate veins and is fairly toothy. I have no concerns looking at the cigar.

The Feel
    Cigar feels solid and I am concerned about draw problems. It actually feels rock hard the entire lenght.

The Cut
    Before I cut I smell the cigar. mmm Barnyard - thanks Kuzi - whith some sweetness in there. I lick the cap and as ususal I get nothing. Not sure why I keep doing this as I rarely taste anything. Its not part of my normal routine.
    I get a nice clean cut from my backup double guillotine. I am still worried about the draw.

The Draw
    The prelight draw is tight but manageable.

The Light
    I use a single torch and get a nice even light on the end. Things are going smoothly.

First Third
    Ok, so the draw is a little tight. I abandon the puff puff draw technique as the puff just isnt cutting it. I go with the full draw each time.
    The first few puffs are amazingly sweet. I cannot put my finger on the specific sweetness, but definately a sugar cane/caramel sweetness. Its really tasty. I exhale through my nose! Yeah, really getting this technique down pat now! There is a ton of sweetness on the tongue and sweet smooth tobacco through the nose. the retrohale definately has some roasted vegetable flavors in there for me. Something that exudes its sugars when you roast it, like a carrot or asparagus. I cannot really get to identify it, but it is really good. I am LOVING this 1st third. There is lots of billowy smoke, not too thick, Ill say near perfect amount
    1st ash falls off after about an inch or so, but doesnt cause any problems. Burn line is almost razor sharp

Seond Third
    I am about 15-20 minutes in and the draw technique is burning this stick a little faster than I am used to or wanting to. But I feel that it is necessary to keep this cigar going and drawing well. About 1/2 way into the cigar the sweetness on both the tongue and retrohale starts subsiding. Its there, but not as pronounced. Pepper starts kicking in. Definately a sweet/spicy pepper, not necessarily a black pepper. Really getting complex at this point and I wished I was sitting down with a pen and paper. The pepper is more pronounced through the nose than on the palate.

Final Third
    At this point the cigar really loosens up and becomes spongy. This happens really at the very beginning of this final third. Im a little over a half hour in. 35 minutes or so. The draw is now loose and the once rock hard cigar is now soft and squishy. Then comes the bitter! at this point I set it down. I really didnt want to burn out my pallette at this point. A couple bitter draws was all I needed. Im still trying to determine if this was my smoking technique or if it was the cigar itself. Did I smoke too fast?

Body
    The body on this was definately mild to medium slowly building through the cigar. Heavily leaning toward the mild.

Overall
    I will say that this cigar is very complex. I will also say that I will smoke them again ( I have a few resting ). I am very happy with the 1st 2/3 of this cigar and am really dissapointed in the final 1/3.
    Overall I think that this has the ability to be an above average cigar. If it wasnt for the price or the difficulty in getting them, I would probably put them in the rotation. Given those two issues, I will stick with an AJ for my fix.

A cigar I would say that I could compare this to is the CAO Crillolo (Pampa - the corona size). Really similar flavors for me withouth the draw issues. With the draw problems I will put it into an average cigar and will update after I smoke a couple more.

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Nice review Four to, I received one of these a couple years ago in my very first game/trade from a member Capt. He must still be out grouse hunting. I found it to be an very pleasant cigar and the thing that I found unusual was how solid/rock hard it felt. I kept holding off smoking it thinking it should soften up, but never did. It must be a trait of these cigars. I wish I would have taken notes on this one. I know it didn't taste like a goats-ass