Home Non Cigar Related
Options

LeBron

kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
I live and work in LeBron's home town. He has come into my work on several occasions to eat. I have cooked for the guy several times.

last night he announced that he was going to leave Cleveland for Miami.

i was at work when he announced this. Many were surprised that he would turn his back on his home. many called him names that would get censored on this forum. the general mood of my town is that this is a classless, selfish move. people burned his jersey.

does it surprise me that he left?

not one bit

he said himself that nothing is more important than winning.
we now know just how true that is.
Loyalty to his home means nothing. ( what about his "Loyalty" tattoo?)
loyalty to his fans means nothing

again, this does not surprise me.
having cooked for LeBron at my job a few times and seeing how he treats the servers, i expected nothing less than a selfish, greedy act. i expected him to turn his back on his Cleveland fans just for the sake of winning.
i have always thought that this man was a jerk. this just reaffirms it.

LeBron says Akron will always be his home, and he does have a house here (that has square footage comparable to the local Best Buy). ... but will his home accept him back? will he have to have cops at his house 24 hours a day for a while?
will he be looked at the same way Art Modell was when he took the Browns away?
i dont know.

he did put a bad taste in the mouths of this town.

Comments

• Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    I'm a big sports gambler and follower, more college hoops, football and NFL. NBA is last for me...but yes he did turn his back on Cleveland. If he won championships in Cleveland, he would have been a legacy, like Jordan in Chicago, Kobe in LA, Duncan in San Antonio...

He wont get that respect from people who follow sports because he had to team up with 2 other players. At the end, he does want to win, so cant blame him for leaving. He put Cavs back on the map and took them off.

Did you read the letter the owner, Dan Gilbert, wrote to Cleveland fans? One sentence in there..."I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THE SELF-TITLED FORMER ‘KING’ WINS ONE"

He is mad and taking shots at LeBron...wrong thing for an owner to say IMO.

Heard LeBron is a real lousy tipper btw!
  • Options
    Here is the entire letter....

Dear Cleveland, All Of Northeast Ohio and Cleveland Cavaliers Supporters Wherever You May Be Tonight;

As you now know, our former hero, who grew up in the very region that he deserted this evening, is no longer a Cleveland Cavalier.

This was announced with a several day, narcissistic, self-promotional build-up culminating with a national TV special of his "decision" unlike anything ever "witnessed" in the history of sports and probably the history of entertainment.

Clearly, this is bitterly disappointing to all of us.

The good news is that the ownership team and the rest of the hard-working, loyal, and driven staff over here at your hometown Cavaliers have not betrayed you nor NEVER will betray you.

There is so much more to tell you about the events of the recent past and our more than exciting future. Over the next several days and weeks, we will be communicating much of that to you.

You simply don't deserve this kind of cowardly betrayal.

You have given so much and deserve so much more.

In the meantime, I want to make one statement to you tonight:

"I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THE SELF-TITLED FORMER ‘KING’ WINS ONE"

You can take it to the bank.

If you thought we were motivated before tonight to bring the hardware to Cleveland, I can tell you that this shameful display of selfishness and betrayal by one of our very own has shifted our "motivation" to previously unknown and previously never experienced levels.

Some people think they should go to heaven but NOT have to die to get there.

Sorry, but that's simply not how it works.

This shocking act of disloyalty from our home grown "chosen one" sends the exact opposite lesson of what we would want our children to learn. And "who" we would want them to grow-up to become.

But the good news is that this heartless and callous action can only serve as the antidote to the so-called "curse" on Cleveland, Ohio.

The self-declared former "King" will be taking the "curse" with him down south. And until he does "right" by Cleveland and Ohio, James (and the town where he plays) will unfortunately own this dreaded spell and bad karma.

Just watch.

Sleep well, Cleveland.

Tomorrow is a new and much brighter day....

I PROMISE you that our energy, focus, capital, knowledge and experience will be directed at one thing and one thing only:

DELIVERING YOU the championship you have long deserved and is long overdue....

Dan Gilbert
    Majority Owner
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Majority Owner Cleveland Cavaliers
  • Options
    zeebra:
    yeah.... and he treats the server poorly requesting things that are not on the menu, then always sending it back. this is usually around 10 minutes before close. he tips around 10%
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    zeebra:
    yeah.... and he treats the server poorly requesting things that are not on the menu, then always sending it back. this is usually around 10 minutes before close. he tips around 10%
    Had a buddy work at some restaurant in Cleveland, forget the name, but it was a steak house. He said Lebron and his entourage came in yup, 10 minutes before closing also. Said the manager said its ok, and made the cooks and staff stay till about 1:30 am. It was about 8 guys in the group and the bill came to about $1100 or so. The server said he got tipped a $10 bill with his signature on it. He was pissed and quit on the spot the same night.
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    zeebra:
    "I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THE SELF-TITLED FORMER ‘KING’ WINS ONE"

You can take it to the bank.

If Cleveland is taking that to the bank, the bank better place a hold on it.

Sorry, lame banker joke.
  • Options
    zeebra:
    kuzi16:
    zeebra:
    Had a buddy work at some restaurant in Cleveland, forget the name, but it was a steak house. He said Lebron and his entourage came in yup, 10 minutes before closing also. Said the manager said its ok, and made the cooks and staff stay till about 1:30 am. It was about 8 guys in the group and the bill came to about $1100 or so. The server said he got tipped a $10 bill with his signature on it. He was pissed and quit on the spot the same night.
    yup .... forgot the entourage....

usually 3-4 black SUVs. they often park illegally. we've called the cops on him before for that. we just wanted him to park like a normal human. but he cant, cos hes a jerkface
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    the NBA is still around?
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    LeBron didn't go to Miami to win. He went there because the Heat will now be the most talked about team in the NBA. He went because Miami is the new playground for celebrities and people with too much money and not enough sense. He went because all he cares about is being in the spotlight and having everyone ride him. There is no way the Heat are going to win a championship anytime soon. The only thing around him is Bosh and Wade, and Bosh is vastly over-rated. They have no role players and no bench. They have a coach who probably isn't going to be able to manage those three guys. The only guy that could ever pull that off is in L.A. and still winning titles. I laughed my ass off when Bron Bron said this whole free agency period has been a humbling experience. Said the guy who came on national television in a one hour special dedicated to him announcing who he wants to play for. People say he's changed the NBA. They say that like it's a good thing. Yes, he changed it. No, it's not good. He's helped turn it into more of a circus and a joke of a sports league. He did more in eight days then David Stern has done in, what, twenty years? I can probably count the true winners and true legends of the present day NBA on one freakin' hand. It's ridiculous. Unfortunately, this douchebag is the face of the League. Pitiful.

End rant.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    kuzi16:
    zeebra:
    kuzi16:
    zeebra:
    yup .... forgot the entourage....

usually 3-4 black SUVs. they often park illegally. we've called the cops on him before for that. we just wanted him to park like a normal human. but he cant, cos hes a jerkface

Two top tier steakhouses in Boston actually reported him for not leaving a tip.

Not a small tip, NO TIP

Almost the same story as above.

I do think they also used the term Jerkface....

• Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I don't follow basketball very closely, but I did read a piece in the NY Post that was very interesting. They predicted he would go to Miami well before any announcement was made. New York was actually the first team they crossed off the list because playing in NY would cost him approx $12 million in taxes more than playing in Miami. The article also said staying in Cleveland would cost him somewhere between $5-$7 million more in taxes... Kinda makes me wonder if his choice had anything to do with sports at all...
  • Options
    brotheradambrotheradam Posts: 896
    That's terrible, what goes around comes around.
  • Options
    I'm not saying what he did was wrong, when it comes to keeping or losing millions of dollars... I don't blame the guy. I don't understand why everyone gets so bent out of shape because a guy went somewhere else for more money. It's just like any of us here. If we got offered a job in the same field somewhere else for that much more money, well I'd be jumping at the chance too. He is just a basketball player, it's not like the entire team left town...
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I think it would be very funny if the guy who already wears #6 in Miami told him to pound sand, he's keeping his jersey number.... but probably won't happen.
  • Options
    surfingzeekosurfingzeeko Posts: 628
    All in all he's just a total douche. I'm fine with that all though, because LA isn't gonna let either team win a championship :)
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    I'm not saying what he did was wrong, when it comes to keeping or losing millions of dollars... I don't blame the guy. I don't understand why everyone gets so bent out of shape because a guy went somewhere else for more money. It's just like any of us here. If we got offered a job in the same field somewhere else for that much more money, well I'd be jumping at the chance too. He is just a basketball player, it's not like the entire team left town...
    iduno.. its just that he spent years talking about loyalty to his home town and how he wants to bring a winning team and a championship to NE ohio, yadda yadda yadda... then he jumps ship. the town feels lied to.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    PuroFreak:
    iduno.. its just that he spent years talking about loyalty to his home town and how he wants to bring a winning team and a championship to NE ohio, yadda yadda yadda... then he jumps ship. the town feels lied to.
    Well, I'm going to stick up for him like I would any company that moves their operations to save money... He did not violate anyone's rights, so more power to him. He is saving millions by moving to FL where there is no state income tax... Of course he could have picked Dallas! Texas has no income tax either! hehe
  • Options
    brotheradambrotheradam Posts: 896
    surfingzeeko:
    All in all he's just a total douche. I'm fine with that all though, because LA isn't gonna let either team win a championship :)
    Yeah, what Zeeko said !
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    kuzi16:
    PuroFreak:
    Well, I'm going to stick up for him like I would any company that moves their operations to save money... He did not violate anyone's rights, so more power to him. He is saving millions by moving to FL where there is no state income tax... Of course he could have picked Dallas! Texas has no income tax either! hehe
    im not saying he violated rights at all and he has every legal right to go wherever he wants...

i was just pointing out how much of a jerk i already knew he was and how much i continue to notice that he is still a jerk with this decision. he was the one saying how much akron was his home and how much he wanted to bring a winning team to NE ohio. it just goes to show that he was just BSing us and his real motivations were revealed.
    had he said from the get go that he was gunna go where the money and chances to win were, then i would not have started this thread at all. i would be defending him 100%

just a thought though... if he wanted to win he should join the blobe trotters. they have a winning percentage of 98.4%
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I have two words for all of this : **** basketball.
  • Options
    Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    PuroFreak:
    kuzi16:
    PuroFreak:
    The money had nothing to do with his choice of teams. The contract the Cavs could offer would be about 35 mil more than any other team could offer and that would more than cover the difference in state income tax. This was strictly a "I want a championship and will do anything to get one" move. What do you expect he grew up as a Yankees fan. I am a die hard Cavs fan and I admit that when I saw him say Miami I was pissed but I think the Cavs can now build a better team without him. For the last 7 years all they did was bend over backwards trying to make LeBron happy and got the players that he wanted without any consideration as to how they would fit in the team. The guys a douche bag and I for one am not going to loose any sleep over him leaving.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    PuroFreak:
    kuzi16:
    PuroFreak:
    im not saying he violated rights at all and he has every legal right to go wherever he wants...

i was just pointing out how much of a jerk i already knew he was and how much i continue to notice that he is still a jerk with this decision. he was the one saying how much akron was his home and how much he wanted to bring a winning team to NE ohio. it just goes to show that he was just BSing us and his real motivations were revealed.
    had he said from the get go that he was gunna go where the money and chances to win were, then i would not have started this thread at all. i would be defending him 100%

just a thought though... if he wanted to win he should join the blobe trotters. they have a winning percentage of 98.4%
    I'm actually with ya, I think the guy is probably a douche, but I don't know for sure. I don't know him personally and don't know what he believes and what his true motives were. Just like everyone else, it's all speculation. I just don't understand when it became an act of treason for a good player to move to a different team, when every other mediocre play in the NBA does the same thing. Just kind of a double standard. He may love the Cavs and the city of Cleveland with all his heart, but honestly felt Miami was the better place for him... I don't know so I just won't throw him under the bus... Well also because I don't really care. lol
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    PuroFreak:
    He's probably going to get less money since they'll be splitting cap space with Bosch and Wade as well. But no, I don't blame the guy at all. All else aside, he's always said it's only about winning. And Cleveland obviously didn't support that. They never spent the cash to bring players to him. And say what anyone will, even Jordan had a hell of a supporting cast when he was winning. NO player can do it alone. So no, I don't blame him at all for leaving to go to a team with two other proven producers.

Off my soapbox. I'm not getting into the hometown stuff/tips/etc. I don't even follow the NBA closely. I am a Lebron fan, but only because he can play ball. I don't follow the off-court crap. I do have a close friend who waited on his entourage in Jackson, MS though, and they tipped highly. Might have been because he was there for a charity event, who knows. I'm not doubting anyone who says otherwise.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Speaking of sports douche bags who treat others badly ...say hello to Steve Smith-Carolina Panthers-a nasty piece of work with a heart of coal , a soul full of hate and arrogance , and just a LITTLE human being as far as human beings go. Pi_ss poor attitude off the field and I'm surprised he's not cross eyed from looking down his nose at people. Just sayin ...
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Kuzi, we totally agree on Lebron. The whole thing was a joke, the only thing to make his news conference worthwhile to me would have been if Jack Kevorkian were there. My ex-girlfriend knew Lebron personally from the school up there, and also said he was a jerk.....on the bright side, I really think this team will have a very tough time wiining any titles, because there will be a lot of ego in that lockerroom and not enough shots to go around. Wade may back down, but Lebron and Bosh's egos cannot allow that. O r maybe I just hope they fail, lol
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    kuzi16:
    I live and work in LeBron's home town. He has come into my work on several occasions to eat. I have cooked for the guy several times.

last night he announced that he was going to leave Cleveland for Miami.

i was at work when he announced this. Many were surprised that he would turn his back on his home. many called him names that would get censored on this forum. the general mood of my town is that this is a classless, selfish move. people burned his jersey.

does it surprise me that he left?

not one bit

he said himself that nothing is more important than winning.
    we now know just how true that is.
    Loyalty to his home means nothing. ( what about his "Loyalty" tattoo?)
    loyalty to his fans means nothing

again, this does not surprise me.
    having cooked for LeBron at my job a few times and seeing how he treats the servers, i expected nothing less than a selfish, greedy act. i expected him to turn his back on his Cleveland fans just for the sake of winning.
    i have always thought that this man was a jerk. this just reaffirms it.

LeBron says Akron will always be his home, and he does have a house here (that has square footage comparable to the local Best Buy). ... but will his home accept him back? will he have to have cops at his house 24 hours a day for a while?
    will he be looked at the same way Art Modell was when he took the Browns away?
    i dont know.

he did put a bad taste in the mouths of this town.

Its the times.. there is NO LOYALTY In Sports..... Hes a Punk...I have watched him play many times from high school up. He is an Arrogant Greedy Imature Punk... I am all for what Kareem Abdul Jabbbar said the NBS has to stop these Self Indulgent Imature PUNKS coming out of High school with No education or Expierience and handing them Millions of Bucks to throw a Ball in a Basket. My Siters has waited on him many times where she works ..... she hasalwayssaid heis polite and a good guy... but shes a Psychopath and not in touch with REality.
    Art Modell has Now taken a Back seat to the BIGGEST JERK to every leave Clevland. *** um ALL ! I am a Die Hard Browns Fan ... One Day we will have our Day at Least I know Im not a Bandwagon Jumper.. I AM LOYAL!
  • Options
    bigbgballzbigbgballz Posts: 283
    Funny you posted that cause when i was watching i found out he is from your hometown and was curious what you thought of that!
  • Options
    aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    Ok. So i know he said this is a business decision, but like dustin said he is going to take a $30-40 million cut playing there. the state tax would only be about $7-12 in the end. he did this to get himself handed a trophy. he isnt playing for the love of the game anymore, not like anyone does anyway, but he is playing for the fame and the media. i was almost convinced he would stay in cleveland just because he said just 3 short weeks ago we had the edge for him. oh but did you see who influenced his final decision? HIS MOM!?!?!?!?!?!?! how the h e l l does that make any sense? this guy stabbed us in the back when it was convenient for him to pick up and leave. i am disappointed because of the fact that Florida has beaten Ohio in almost everything. it is unbelievable that they now have lebron. to be honest its embarrassing living here. i hate it sometimes just because of how cleveland sports plain and simple sucked until lebron. then we had something to look forward to with him. i followed him for his last four years here. and for what? him up and leaving without so much as a thank you? wow some guy huh? i know what Gilbert said was harsh but come on you are telling me you wouldnt be the exact same way if he screwed your team like that? he made us wait until the very end of the free agency for his decision. that was harsh from him. cleveland got screwed now in not being able to have any of the good players that WERE available. now we are in a rebuild phase. like normal. i really do hate living here sometimes when this sh*t goes on. but hey its cleveland we get stabbed in the back and pull it out and move on. we are just used to getting crushed every year. i guess the reign of good things for cleveland had to come to an end sometime. anyway hope everyone is doing well lol and have a good one.
  • Options
    ljlljl Posts: 819
    Oddly, he seems way too ready to differ. I think I heard him say it would be nice not to have to score 30 a night or need to shoot for a high percentage. What made Jordan great at the game is 30 a night and a high percentage weren't enough. He had a drive to do MORE, he pushed the hell out of his teammates to make them do it too. Most of the truly great ones were their own toughest critics. It strikes me as he wants all the winning and very little responsibility.

I don't think I get the Heat's offense now. All three of these guys are at their best starting with the ball about 15-20 feet from the hoop. None of them (not even Bosh) are back to the basket guys. I guess screen / roll is there for them when they want it, but zone is back in the NBA (officially).None of them are great lock down defenders, none of them are great help defenders (they're all good, just not great). I understand that they have Miller under contract to shoot and stretch the D, he'll be more key to this working out than them.

Kuzi, sorry to hear he treated people you know in a bad way. He really put the franchise in a bad spot too, he brought in almost all the revenue. I agree that he should have said what he meant, instead of what people wanted to hear.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    surfingzeeko:

Im gonna laugh my A$$ off when Paul Pierce shuts him down again (2 out of 3 years hes done it when it counts the other year he didnt get the chance). Then the celts knock them out in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Right now its the league v. 3 players.

• Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was born and raised in Kent Ohio. I am now and will always be, a Cleveland fan. Sure, I like and follow the Nuggets ans the Rockies(Broncos Suck!!!), but I love our Cleveland teams. I am ok with LeBron leaving. I think he could have at least worked with the team in the form of a sign and trade. Instead he walks, and they get nothing. It makes my wonder if the Nuggets will trade Carmello Anthony, or will they let him walk too. I hope they learned their lesson with Mutumbo, and trade him while he still has a high value. OH well, it might be fun to root against Queen James for a change. GO BROWNS!!