Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Glen Beck's Saturday Speech

Comments

• Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    PuroFreak:
    kuzi16:
    iduno... been reading about this "get together" that Beck had.

now granted ive only skimmed a few stories, (none of them from Fox news, all of them for decidedly more left leaning news sources) and i dont think i have a problem with this rally.

from what i can gather it really was just a guy standing up and talking about some of the good things in the US, past and present. even the liberals are having a difficult time getting really pissed at it.

the worst thing that i am finding (in under 5 min of looking) is Sharpton saying that the march wont change a thing.

he may or may not be right. time will tell.
    This is somewhat true, but either you just didn't mention it, or didn't read about it in your sources, but this was also a massive fund raiser for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation which supports the families of Special Ops guys killed and injured. Beck and his efforts raised over $5 million dollar for the SOWF and that to me is the biggest part of the entire thing. If you agree with the guy or not, that was a great thing to help out such a deserving charity.

I agree with Puro ...
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    kuzi16:
    Matt Marvel:
    That pretty much sums up how I feel about Beck. I've tried listening to different programs over a period of time, and none of them resonate with me enough for me to stick with them. You have some interesting viewpoints, and I tend to agree with you on a lot, so I was mostly looking for suggestions I suppose.
    one place that i do a bit of reading is The Cato Institute they are a libertarian think tank. there are few things i find myself disagreeing with there. either way its an interesting site.

DownsizeDC.org is also a frequent stop. they are a bit more active and a bit less philosophical than Cato, but i still like the thought behind many of their ideas.

one that i think has a great conversation going from all points of view (not so much conservative though) is The League of Ordinary Gentlemen. there are some very interesting points of view on that site.

the other one that i dont read as much as i used to is Capitalism Magazine, there are a few authors that i like that write in there. some arent as good, but over all im not mad at it.

I'm familiar with Cato and League of Ordinary Gentleman. I'll have to check the other ones out though. Thanks for posting these.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Matt Marvel:
    I'm familiar with Cato and League of Ordinary Gentleman. I'll have to check the other ones out though. Thanks for posting these.
    interesting.

my brother is a writer for both.

we have very similar political views.
  • Options
    24footjet24footjet Posts: 132
    The silence is deafening from a certain guy on this forum...

Is Vulchor's hate eating him up "bro"? Or is he a "hate-monger"?

Just looking for some consistency...
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    No silence, just nothing to say. Spoke my peace. Thanks for the thoughts and quotation marks though...nice to be remembered. If you want me to say how much I cant stand Beck again, I can---whatever pleases you. In the meantime, enjoy holding that fish.
  • Options
    Well vulchor I wasn't talking to you but I guess your conscience says otherwise. I love holding my fish by the way.... Is that the best you can come up with? Liberal rants are very comical!
  • Options
    I was wishing you well and your fish too, I dont know what your talking about. I wish Right Wingnut rants were comical too---but instead they are so damaging and misguided it effects the population as a whole. Im done with this now, as I will not be drawn into personal attacks or attacks on myself. Again, I bid you well.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I don't frequent the political conversations too often these days as, well, I have decided that politicians suck and if you say you are a liberal, you're an idiot. if you say you are an ultra-conservative, you are also an idiot. I prefer to think for myself. I don't buy in to a party's beliefs wholeheartedly. I can't. It doesn't make sense.
    with all that said, I like Glen Beck. I like him because he believes what he believes and not what a party dictates. He also is quirky and a little crazy but he's genuine and not a politician. just a guy with a voice.
  • Options
    Vulchor:
    I was wishing you well and your fish too, I dont know what your talking about. I wish Right Wingnut rants were comical too---but instead they are so damaging and misguided it effects the population as a whole. Im done with this now, as I will not be drawn into personal attacks or attacks on myself. Again, I bid you well.
    im just wondering specifically what was so damaging about becks speech in DC on Saturday. granted, i didnt watch it, i have not seen clips of it.
    but i have read through several liberal media outlets' stories about it. not one has had a negative review. a few mention sharpton's comments and that there was a bit of a conservative undertone, but never a specific example where he was wrong, or that there was violence, or hate, or even litter on the ground when he was done. at least one article was about how diverse the crowd was.

most of the articles seem to focus on crowd size. frankly, thats the least important part of the day. you can tell from the pictures that there are a *** ton of people there.

i guess im also a bit confused what is so "nut job" about wanting smaller government, less taxation, fewer entitlement programs, and generally less spending.
    ...especially in a country that was, in part, founded by a bunch of guys that were pissed off about how a few cent tax on some tea was implemented.

• Options
    I was suprised by Becks Speech, and admit it was not imflammatory at all. I took issue what a few things however. I am not one to look and say "he said nice things" and thats it. I look at his entire body of work, and this a part of it. This was originally designed, most beleived, as a MLK commemoration...that it was not. Beck himself is a Mormon, which last I checked is not recognized by the majority of chistians as a said christian religion. So this turn to god...I am unsure who he is trying to appeal to, and do not believe it is just a speech to empower---not that plain. Lastly, the speech must have a reason then, and what other reason that political gain for either his own run for office (unlikely) or to raise himself as a funraiser and/or "mobilize the troops" for this and future elections---and to open their wallets. I know the right will say his meaning was altruistic but I think those who are honest and can engage in critical analysis of issues will see othersise.

As far as the crowd, maybe it matters maybe it doesnt-----when Farrakhan did a "million man march" crowd size mattered and any "liberal" rally crowd size would matter, so lets keep it "fair and balanced". Again, making a few blanket idea of smaller govt. and saying they are "nut jobs" is oversimplfying my words and turning a movement about alot more than what you listed into a few neatly packaged things for T.V. Its easy to complicate issues no doubt...but also dangerous to assume some can be so simplistic.
  • Options
    Also....and i really am not trying to be condescending here----please do not (or at least think before) you put up links from WorldNetDaily. Its an insult to me and, and more fluff to the masses who cant think for themselves. More one sided opinion from a conservative website. If I had the audacity to post a link----even from MSNBC or CNN for some people, I would be cruicified upside down----so Im sorry but I have to call shennanigans on this one.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    24footjet:
    The silence is deafening from a certain guy on this forum...

Is Vulchor's hate eating him up "bro"? Or is he a "hate-monger"?

Just looking for some consistency...
    Maybe you should be looking for your Vicodan, instead? He was talking about me Vulchor, but I could care less what Glen Beck says. I don't really know him. I guess outside of the US his shtick doesn't play as well?

Your Shtick Jet is just as sad. Nobody got your refference except me. Do the things I say here truely affect you that deeply Jet?
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Vulchor:
    I was suprised by Becks Speech, and admit it was not imflammatory at all. I took issue what a few things however. I am not one to look and say "he said nice things" and thats it. I look at his entire body of work, and this a part of it. This was originally designed, most beleived, as a MLK commemoration...that it was not. Beck himself is a Mormon, which last I checked is not recognized by the majority of chistians as a said christian religion. So this turn to god...I am unsure who he is trying to appeal to, and do not believe it is just a speech to empower---not that plain. Lastly, the speech must have a reason then, and what other reason that political gain for either his own run for office (unlikely) or to raise himself as a funraiser and/or "mobilize the troops" for this and future elections---and to open their wallets. I know the right will say his meaning was altruistic but I think those who are honest and can engage in critical analysis of issues will see othersise.

As far as the crowd, maybe it matters maybe it doesnt-----when Farrakhan did a "million man march" crowd size mattered and any "liberal" rally crowd size would matter, so lets keep it "fair and balanced". Again, making a few blanket idea of smaller govt. and saying they are "nut jobs" is oversimplfying my words and turning a movement about alot more than what you listed into a few neatly packaged things for T.V. Its easy to complicate issues no doubt...but also dangerous to assume some can be so simplistic.
    The one things I'll say and not to argue, just to point out, was that Beck's message wasn't about Christianity, it was about faith in general. On stage with him he had a group of men of the cloth which included Priests, preachers, Rabis, and Imams. I'm not a religious person at all, which I know is shocking from a right wing nut bag like myself, lol but if that gives people hope and helps people do the right thing for a change, then I don't see a problem with it at all.
  • Options
    I like talking to you Laker....easy question...is vulchor a hatemonger or full of hate like flagypsy? Or is It ok because he believes like you. Again...just looking for consistency.
  • Options
    Just re-read your post...don't understand the Vicodin thing, I must be dumb... but you knew that already....and as far as nobody understanding my reference it was supposed to be that way...just for you. I thought you of all people would understand that with your high mind and all. The only guys that answered it were the lefties...hmmmm...as you would say. It also seems vulchor has affections for your quotations as much as I do. Proceed.
  • Options
    Im not a lefty and I do not know what one is---unless referring to my dominant hand. Please refrain if you would from categorizing or pigeon holing me into a nice neat name. I am not one dimensional being, I am a person.
  • Options
    Ok, seriously guys, this is getting extremely childish. Jet, as I'm sure you know, I agree with Laker about as much as I agree with President Obama, but I don't see the need to attack him for not posting in a thread which he admittedly has no interest in. Above all else, Laker is a stand up guy and while I disagree with him on many things, I truly believe that his political beliefs come from his heart with the best intentions in mind. I admire him and respect him because he honestly and intelligently presents his side of any debate and is above all else, always a gentleman. We may see things differently, but there is no reason to bait someone into a debate just to attack their character.

On a side note, speaking of stand up guys which I usually disagree with, where the hell has the fuzzy one been lately?? Haven't seen him on here anywhere recently.
  • Options
    Vulchor:
    Also....and i really am not trying to be condescending here----please do not (or at least think before) you put up links from WorldNetDaily. Its an insult to me and, and more fluff to the masses who cant think for themselves. More one sided opinion from a conservative website. If I had the audacity to post a link----even from MSNBC or CNN for some people, I would be cruicified upside down----so Im sorry but I have to call shennanigans on this one.
    as far as links go, EVERY news source has an agenda. every news source is politics. there isnt a single news site that isnt. i just fail to see how its an insult to post a link to a news site. you can say they are conservative all you want in an attempt to discredit them, but you did not point to facts to discredit them. had you done that i would have been more receptive to this comment.
    "conservative" or "liberal".... whatever.
    discredit with facts.
    i could say "im insulted that you didnt use facts to discredit this story. you just dont like who the story is coming from because you see them as conservative" and i would be saying, for all intensive purposes, the same thing you said to me. however, im not insulted at all. i feel empowered because you havent shown me otherwise.... not through facts, not through theory, not through debate of any sort. all you pointed out was that it is conservative. yes, they lean to the right. so what? prove it wrong to me, please.
    i may have to call "shennanigans" on you.

edit: after reading the post with the WND link in it, i could see how you would think i was trying to pass it off as a liberal site. I assure you i was not. just a poorly worded sentence leading up to that link. if thats where the perceived insult was, then it was not intentional.
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    Ok, seriously guys, this is getting extremely childish. Jet, as I'm sure you know, I agree with Laker about as much as I agree with President Obama, but I don't see the need to attack him for not posting in a thread which he admittedly has no interest in. Above all else, Laker is a stand up guy and while I disagree with him on many things, I truly believe that his political beliefs come from his heart with the best intentions in mind. I admire him and respect him because he honestly and intelligently presents his side of any debate and is above all else, always a gentleman. We may see things differently, but there is no reason to bait someone into a debate just to attack their character.

+1
  • Options
    Vulchor:

i do see what you are saying here in the first half. i would say more but again, i dont care enough to read a transcript of what he said.

second half about the crowd...
    the million man march mattered because it was a goal set. i cant remember any other march that the more liberal side has had where the size mattered. i may be the only one... but i just dont care about the size of the crowd.

Vulchor....

recently you have made some very interesting posts (even when you have been baited and resisted) i hope you have not taken what i have been asking as anything but pure debate. its hard to convey tone on the net and a post (maybe 2) up from here i could see being read as snarkey. i assure you it is not. i am just pressing you to figure your thinking out. thank you for such patience as i nit pick points.

... dont know about you but i find it fun and interesting and i find debating with you turning from frustrating to interesting, much like it did with laker a year or two ago.
    thanks.
  • Options
    I do enjoy this some Kuzi. I will say, and this also is not meant to be insulting, that I do not have the time nor the energy to find as many links as yourself---or the computer knowledge to post them if I did. I often get frustrated as I do not find much of it debating (in general not with you per se) because people are too closed minded to do anything but believe their own opinions already held. Perhaps I am guilty of that as well---however as with everyone who has an opinion, its much easier to see my side and often I see others as simply rubbish. Sounds condescending sure....however some rhetoric to me is as preposterous as denying the Holocaust or the moon landing----and when the other side feels just as strongly in their opinion, nothing can be gained.
  • Options
    Vulchor:
    as with everyone who has an opinion, its much easier to see my side and often I see others as simply rubbish.
    Truer words were never spoken.

not condescending at all.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Group hug?
  • Options
    cabinetmaker:
    Group hug?
    you go first....
    you know how I know you're gay.....
  • Options
    dennisking:
    cabinetmaker:
    Group hug?
    you go first....
    Not that there is anything wrong with that...
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    dennisking:
    cabinetmaker:
    Group hug?
    you go first....
    Cuz you listen to Coldplay.....
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    dennisking:
    cabinetmaker:
    Group hug?
    you go first....
    Not that there is anything wrong with that...
    nO,NO!! Of course not, perfectly fine.
  • Options
    I love the gays. we be cool for ages
  • Options
    I say why not let them get married! They have the same right to lose half their sh*t as the rest of us! If you wanted to start a movement that would get a large number people behind it, ban STRAIGHT marriage! I'd vote for that one any day of the week!
  • Options
    Alright alright...trying to have some fun with Laker...but still...Laker...is he a hate monger or is hate eating him up? Just tell me that. Puro.. he tells plenty of people on here alot that they are "hatemongers" ....here is a chance for him to be fair and balanced if you will.