Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Pipes ...

Comments

• Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    Hays:
    So I proceeded to spend this morning reading through this entire thread, and all it did was intensify my desire to pick up pipe smoking. Wish I had any cash to pick up a pipe - I have like 4 ounces of pipe tobacco already, and nothing to smoke it in.

I picked up a new factory second pipe, not an estate (used) pipe, brand new for less than $20 at a place not far from my work a good while ago. I couldn't find anything wrong with it, and it's been great, once it was actually broken in of course. It took me some time and patience to ge the hang of it... as I recall I came to these great fellows on CIGAR.COM for all my knowledge and help to get it down right.

My favorite pipe tobacco is VooDoo Queen... she does me good, just the way I like it!

But at a close second, without a doubt, is the classic Irish blend, the Sherlock Holmes.

I'll take a pick of my pipe and post it here in the next couple of days.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    nightmaremike31:
    Hays:
    So I proceeded to spend this morning reading through this entire thread, and all it did was intensify my desire to pick up pipe smoking. Wish I had any cash to pick up a pipe - I have like 4 ounces of pipe tobacco already, and nothing to smoke it in.

I picked up a new factory second pipe, not an estate (used) pipe, brand new for less than $20 at a place not far from my work a good while ago. I couldn't find anything wrong with it, and it's been great, once it was actually broken in of course. It took me some time and patience to ge the hang of it... as I recall I came to these great fellows on CIGAR.COM for all my knowledge and help to get it down right.

My favorite pipe tobacco is VooDoo Queen... she does me good, just the way I like it!

But at a close second, without a doubt, is the classic Irish blend, the Sherlock Holmes.

Yeah, I've seen some cheap pipes... just don't have any expendable income lately. What with Christmas, anniversary (today), a broken car, and moving...December has been a month very damaging to the pocketbook. Maybe in a month or two I can pick one up.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    Hays:
    nightmaremike31:
    Hays:

Yeah, I've seen some cheap pipes... just don't have any expendable income lately. What with Christmas, anniversary (today), a broken car, and moving...December has been a month very damaging to the pocketbook. Maybe in a month or two I can pick one up.

Wow, that's a pretty busy December man.

Congrats on the Anniverary!

Best of luck to ya on the car... I hate cars, only because they can break. Other than that, I love them to death. I really like vintage cars like old vdubs, ratrods, and sleepers, and the list goes on.

And moving... I have to move soon. I've lived in my house for a little over 3 years, but it sure doesn't feel very long at all. And I don't want to pack it up and do it again. So, good luck and do it safely and swiftly.
  • Options
    nightmaremike31:

Wow, that's a pretty busy December man.

Congrats on the Anniverary!

Best of luck to ya on the car... I hate cars, only because they can break. Other than that, I love them to death. I really like vintage cars like old vdubs, ratrods, and sleepers, and the list goes on.

And moving... I have to move soon. I've lived in my house for a little over 3 years, but it sure doesn't feel very long at all. And I don't want to pack it up and do it again. So, good luck and do it safely and swiftly.
    Thanks and thanks! 4 years for us today..it's nuts. And I'm right there with ya on classic cars bro, though not the same type. I love classic imports - old Jaguars, Duesenbergs, Mercedes, etc just drive me wild lol. Gave the car to my mother, and she fixed it (I'm gonna miss it...beautiful Lexus LS), and now I'm driving my oTHer car that she's been driving (and trashing). Broke my heart when I took it back - I detail my cars every week, and this car that she's had was thoroughly filthy, interior covered in pet hair, and exterior covered in scratches and paw prints..

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    Hays:
    Thanks and thanks! 4 years for us today..it's nuts. And I'm right there with ya on classic cars bro, though not the same type. I love classic imports - old Jaguars, Duesenbergs, Mercedes, etc just drive me wild lol. Gave the car to my mother, and she fixed it (I'm gonna miss it...beautiful Lexus LS), and now I'm driving my oTHer car that she's been driving (and trashing). Broke my heart when I took it back - I detail my cars every week, and this car that she's had was thoroughly filthy, interior covered in pet hair, and exterior covered in scratches and paw prints..

Car love, it's all good. There is just something about being behind the steering wheel of something that you've invested time, elbow grease and hard working money towards. It's an incredible feeling of satisfaction.

Speaking of, I'm gonna head over to the I love/prediliction thread right now
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Hays:
    nightmaremike31:
    Hays:

I absolutely HATE WITH A PASSION MOVING !!! I would rather have a family of bats make a nest in the CRACK OF MY A_SS than box up all my crap and move ...Uuhhgggggg !!!!!!! ( Takes a long drink of Buffalo Trace and shudders at the thought) !!!
  • Options
    My little briar pipe and tamp. And of course, my choice of fire.
  • Options
    Nice, very nice..

• Options
    smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    I was at my B&M and a guy was smoking a pipe and WOW It let off just the most pleasant aroma. Once a month my B&M hosts a "pipe club" meeting. I might hit it up one of these days.
  • Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    Hey experienced pipe smokers. I recently have a savinelli briar on its way to me and what I just realized is way too much tobacco. hahaha, oh well. Is it very inconvinient to light a pipe with matches? I have a lot of them and usually light cigars with matches, but I want my pipe experience to go smoothly. Should I buy a pipe lighter?
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    ironhorse:
    Hey experienced pipe smokers. I recently have a savinelli briar on its way to me and what I just realized is way too much tobacco. hahaha, oh well. Is it very inconvinient to light a pipe with matches? I have a lot of them and usually light cigars with matches, but I want my pipe experience to go smoothly. Should I buy a pipe lighter?
    I have only ever lit a pipe with matches. It lights faster and easier than a cigar so you will only need one and you wont burn your fingers (I do this about every time I am lighting a cigar with the Ccom matches...). Make sure you read up on how to light the pipe as this is different than other tobacco, and it is VERY important to get a proper light.
  • Options
    Thanks Ejenne87. I was a little worried about getting the flame down in the bowl, lighting the tobacco, and not burning my fingers/dropping burnt match in there. But I'll figure it out. I figure I could also turn it sideways a little and hit it with my torch if it gets too tricky
  • Options
    martymcg43martymcg43 Posts: 396
    got about a pound and a half of pipe tobacco coming to me on tuesday which coinsides with my day off. looking forward to it.
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    ironhorse:
    Thanks Ejenne87. I was a little worried about getting the flame down in the bowl, lighting the tobacco, and not burning my fingers/dropping burnt match in there. But I'll figure it out. I figure I could also turn it sideways a little and hit it with my torch if it gets too tricky
    Don't use your torch! It's too hot and it will ruin the briar. Use a soft flame. You wont have any troubles with the matches though... I just hold it about 1/4 inch above the wood and draw on the pipe, works like a charm.

The single most important thing though is the packing of the tobacco. I am still not very good at this myself, but I have gotten better. My only suggestion is read everything you can find on how to do it and try everything to find what works best. It's all about personal style with pipes, so don't be affraid to just do what feels right.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    martymcg43:
    got about a pound and a half of pipe tobacco coming to me on tuesday which coinsides with my day off. looking forward to it.

WOW!!!
    Dude that's a ton of tobacco.
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    How long will that last?
  • Options
    martymcg43martymcg43 Posts: 396
    stephen_hannibal:
    martymcg43:

WOW!!!
    yeah i tend to get a little carried away with purchases. oh well. it's only money...
  • Options
    martymcg43:
    stephen_hannibal:
    martymcg43:

WOW!!!
    yeah i tend to get a little carried away with purchases. oh well. it's only money...
    Well that's the attitude! Last night, I kept my pipe lit for 57 minutes. One match!!! I was so proud!
  • Options
    Alex Williams:
    martymcg43:
    stephen_hannibal:
    martymcg43:

WOW!!!
    Well that's the attitude! Last night, I kept my pipe lit for 57 minutes. One match!!! I was so proud!

Dude that's amazing. One match, it takes me more than that to get the bowl going.
  • Options
    Haha it took quite a few months of practice. Trust me! I had to play with the packing methods after I finally built up a cake.
  • Options
    Dude tell me about your packing method.
    Typically I loose pack the stuff in the middle of the bowl (second pinch) cause that's when I encounter burn trouble.
    The bottom of the bowl and the top are solid. Then after the false light I work the poker into the middle to kind of tunnel it.
    That's the only way I've gotten it to stay lit longer than 5-6 mins.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibal:
    Typically I loose pack the stuff in the middle of the bowl (second pinch) cause that's when I encounter burn trouble.
    The bottom of the bowl and the top are solid. Then after the false light I work the poker into the middle to kind of tunnel it.
    Another great reference for you Stephen

...dejavu... I'm not sure if I already posted this or not... but it's a great look at packing and smoking a pipe.
  • Options
    Hey guys. Smoked my first pipe. Very interesting, very active experience. 5 matches used to relight. I obviously need more practice, but I like it! Anyway, I am wondering how to store the tobacco. It's a LARGE amount and its in a ziplock bag, but should I try to keep it moist somehow? like in some tupperware with a humidifier? Any sort of tips on this would be helpful
  • Options
    ironhorse:
    Hey guys. Smoked my first pipe. Very interesting, very active experience. 5 matches used to relight. I obviously need more practice, but I like it! Anyway, I am wondering how to store the tobacco. It's a LARGE amount and its in a ziplock bag, but should I try to keep it moist somehow? like in some tupperware with a humidifier? Any sort of tips on this would be helpful

Placing it in tupperware is definitely a good idea. But since it's pipe tobacco, it will last longer all by itself. The only problem with having a large quantity is that it begins to become less "fresh" with time. Pipe tobacco, in my experience, burns better (not too hot and doesn't go out as much) and tastes better if it hasn't been chilling in my cigar box for a couple months. Now it "can" last for a long time if it's in a sealed air tight container like a glass jar or something similar. I only buy an ounce at a time so I usually have a pinch or two left form each ounce.

Now if your pipe tobacco begins to seem a little dry, you can get a couple paper towels damp (not soaking wet) and wrap up your pipe tobacco to help rejuvinate it. It should have a slightly spongey reaction when you pinch some between your fingers. No crinkeling or crunchy-ness.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Glad to see this thread still going. I saw a few people talking about the cost of pipes. All of my pipes are estate pipes. Some came from family members others I purchased used. I thoroughly enjoy restoring a estate pipe.

I have all the necessary tools and most of the skill at this point to fully sanitize and revive an estate pipe. If anyone decides to go this route or just has a pipe that needs a little love, I'd be more than happy to help out. I'm not looking to make any money or anything I just thoroughly enjoy restoring them.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibal:
    Sorry it has taken me this long to respond Stephen I just haven't seen this thread. I always have done very loose at the bottom, firm in the middle, and pack it hard at the top. I think it was kuzi who said it best : first pack it with the hand of a child, then the hand of a mother, then the hand of the father. You want the tobacco to be looser at the bottom and tight at the top. And after you get the packing down, it is just a matter or regulating your smokin and such. Why helped me sun I got started was after the first time it went out, pack your ash down with your tamp nice and tight. It will give a good lighting base and help it stay lit longer. Hope this helps man!
  • Options
    madurofan:
    Glad to see this thread still going. I saw a few people talking about the cost of pipes. All of my pipes are estate pipes. Some came from family members others I purchased used. I thoroughly enjoy restoring a estate pipe.

I have all the necessary tools and most of the skill at this point to fully sanitize and revive an estate pipe. If anyone decides to go this route or just has a pipe that needs a little love, I'd be more than happy to help out. I'm not looking to make any money or anything I just thoroughly enjoy restoring them.
    Restoring you say? I may need to contact you in the future good sir. I've seen many estate pipes that were just phenomenally carved that I've wondered if it would be worth it to buy if it could be used again with peace of mind knowing it's sterilized. But knowing that you can do just that... I'm going to have to hunt again for those pipes and get in touch with you.
  • Options
    nightmaremike31:
    madurofan:

Restoring you say? I may need to contact you in the future good sir. I've seen many estate pipes that were just phenomenally carved that I've wondered if it would be worth it to buy if it could be used again with peace of mind knowing it's sterilized. But knowing that you can do just that... I'm going to have to hunt again for those pipes and get in touch with you.

I think a better question is how do you restore an estate? That would be so cool.
  • Options
    nightmaremike31:
    madurofan:

Sure thing man. I'd be more than happy to do it for you.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibal:
    nightmaremike31:
    madurofan:

I think a better question is how do you restore an estate? That would be so cool.
    Well there are a ton of different parts. I will say that I do not touch Meerschaums. I have a guy that I send those out to.

The most common thing is sanitizing it. I use 100 proof vodka and a pipe retort kit. I also use what is called "The professors pipe sweetening treatment". Its basically using salt and vodka to pull all the old carbon out of the bowl.

Second most common is removing oxidation from vulcanite stems. I have a compound that I bought for doing this.
    I can also typically remove tooth marks from vulcanite stems. This is just a matter of low heat, a bunch of different grits of sandpaper AND patience.

Finally is restoring the actual briar. This really just depends on the pipe, but typically is just some light sanding and some carnuba wax. If its damaged though it could take quite a bit more.