Home General Discussion
Options

FUUUUU.....

wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
Jesus Christ! I decided to go through my humi and boom! A Gurkha Envoy with 5 holes through it! Wiped down the humi with a moist paper towel and going through sticks right now.

Comments

• Options
    Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    Dude, bummer! Hope everything else is ok man...
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    wwhwang:
    Jesus Christ! I decided to go through my humi and boom! A Gurkha Envoy with 5 holes through it! Wiped down the humi with a moist paper towel and going through sticks right now.
    Moist paper towel? You should wipe it with some vinegar unless that is what you used to moisten the towel... just making sure. Any pictures? Maybe someone has passed on some improperly stored sticks to you two guys?

I doubt VERY MUCH that these came from the wharehouse. Much more likely to have happened at soemones home considering the environmental systems in place at the wharehouse.

Hope this doesn't start going through the forums, there has been a lot of activity (trades, bombs, passes) lately.

**** luck guy's, that sucks.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Wait a minute? Was it one that I bombed you with? HOLY CRAP BATMAN.... headed to the Humi....

• Options
    stephen_hannibal:
    Wait a minute? Was it one that I bombed you with? HOLY CRAP BATMAN.... headed to the Humi....

Nah, it was another one I got a few months ago. Forgot I even had it until I saw it with holes. Going to freeze ALL my sticks just in case. Luckily, didn't see any other infested sticks.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    wwhwang:
    stephen_hannibal:

Nah, it was another one I got a few months ago. Forgot I even had it until I saw it with holes. Going to freeze ALL my sticks just in case. Luckily, didn't see any other infested sticks.
    Thank you God... dude I was about to flip my Sh*t.

• Options
    wwhwang:
    stephen_hannibal:

Nah, it was another one I got a few months ago. . Forgot I even had it until I saw it with holes. Going to freeze ALL my sticks just in case. Luckily, didn't see any other infested sticks.
    Just a point. It may be better not to throw out names if you are not certain. Possibly that should be dealt with by PM's? No sense in offending someone who may or may not have sent a stick. Just sayin'...
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    You just made me go thru all of mine.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Dude I'm really sorry to see this! That's it after all these incidents of it lately. I'm thoroughly going through my humi tonight!
  • Options
    Good point, laker. I'll edit out the name for courtesy's sake. You and Stephen might have to edit too, since you guys quoted me. How would I clean out the humi though, if a wet rag isn't enough? Wipe with white vinegar and let it air out?
  • Options
    sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    ah crap i've done a lot of trading and the lottot win. I'm all paranoid now. will have to keep an eye on everything
  • Options
    sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    that sucks brother. hope everthing works out and damage was minimal.
  • Options
    Luckily, only that cigar was damaged. What sucks now is that half my entire inventory is in plastic bags and in the fridge now. I guess I'll have to freeze my other half in a month, after this half's frozen and back in smoking condition. Any ideas on the vinegar? And do I put humi pillows in with the sticks?
  • Options
    jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    Dont sweat the vinegar that is for mold the water will be good for the little bastards if you mean do you put the humicare in when you freez them then NO hope all is well these SOBS have been around alot lately
  • Options
    wwhwang:
    Luckily, only that cigar was damaged. What sucks now is that half my entire inventory is in plastic bags and in the fridge now. I guess I'll have to freeze my other half in a month, after this half's frozen and back in smoking condition. Any ideas on the vinegar? And do I put humi pillows in with the sticks?
    Yes the vinegar will help kill the mold spores. After you wipe it thouroughly leave it open to air for a a week or so. Then reseason your humi and you should be good to go.
  • Options
    Mold spores? What about beetle eggs? And I've wrapped the ziplock bags in paper towels as I don't want the cigars to go through freezer burn. Will that affect it?
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    Mold spores? What about beetle eggs? And I've wrapped the ziplock bags in paper towels as I don't want the cigars to go through freezer burn. Will that affect it?
    Freezer burns happen when the container is not AIR tight... Just make sure that you double/triple bag them and then freeze them...

I've been through my own Beetle scare and they suck, but good thing you only see one bad stick..... But yes, still freeze them for the eggs are layed on the tops/cello of the other cigars...

This SUCKS!
  • Options
    laker1963:
    wwhwang:
    Yes the vinegar will help kill the mold spores. After you wipe it thouroughly leave it open to air for a a week or so. Then reseason your humi and you should be good to go.
    Sorry Whang. I was also talking in another thread to King and he was dealing with mold. Got the two mixed up when answering. Yes the vinegar can't hurt but I would just leave the humi in the frezzer OPEN for the same time as you freeze your sticks for. If it kills bugs and eggs in the cigar...
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Ack! My make a wish package!

Edit: Just went thru the cooler I put it in and all looks fine. For now.... =)
  • Options
    Russ55:
    Ack! My make a wish package!

Edit: Just went thru the cooler I put it in and all looks fine. For now.... =)
    Your package should be alright. Looks like I'll be freezing everything I get from now on though :P One infestation is good enough to make me paranoid.
  • Options
    Yeah, can't blame you there. I'm actually in the process of setting up a segregation humidor.
  • Options
    Russ55:
    Yeah, can't blame you there. I'm actually in the process of setting up a segregation humidor.
    That's Racist.....
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    Russ55:
    That's Racist.....
    No, no. It's separate, but equal.
  • Options
    Russ55:
    Lasabar:
    Russ55:
    That's Racist.....
    No, no. It's separate, but equal.
    You show me two water fountains.... I'll show you Racist...
  • Options
    laker1963:
    laker1963:
    wwhwang:
    Sorry Whang. I was also talking in another thread to King and he was dealing with mold. Got the two mixed up when answering. Yes the vinegar can't hurt but I would just leave the humi in the frezzer OPEN for the same time as you freeze your sticks for. If it kills bugs and eggs in the cigar...
    I wouldn't do the vinegar. I wouldn't even do it for mold. It just stinks too much. Thats said, this is a bug problem not a mold/moisture problem. Yes. Put the humi in the freezer with the sticks for at least 24 hrs. Then remove and clean/vacuum thoroughly/ re-season. By the time its reseasoned your probably good to go getting your sticks back in there but I saw someone mention putting them in the fidge for a slow thaugh first & that makes sense to me. My $.02
  • Options
    KCW:
    laker1963:
    laker1963:
    wwhwang:
    I wouldn't do the vinegar. I wouldn't even do it for mold. It just stinks too much. Thats said, this is a bug problem not a mold/moisture problem. Yes. Put the humi in the freezer with the sticks for at least 24 hrs. Then remove and clean/vacuum thoroughly/ re-season. By the time its reseasoned your probably good to go getting your sticks back in there but I saw someone mention putting them in the fidge for a slow thaugh first & that makes sense to me. My $.02
    KCW, the Vinegar is to raise the acidity on the surface of the wood to kill the mold spores. In this case it may or may not kill the beetle eggs which is why it is being suggested. As for the smell? that goes away in a day or two and does nothing to harm your humi. Freezing your sticks for 24 hours may indeed work but that seems to be trying to quicken things up a little bit too much, patience and thouroughness will save a lot of sticks which may end up ruined otherwise.

As for not using Vinegar for mold... what would you suggest for killing the mold spores? This has to be done, cause I can tell you for sure that as soon as they are no longer frozen... those spores will become active again and will start the whole process over again. Smelly yes, effective? absolutely, and the smell will go away in a day or two of leaving the humi open, before reseasoning.
  • Options
    laker1963:
    KCW:
    laker1963:
    laker1963:
    wwhwang:
    KCW, the Vinegar is to raise the acidity on the surface of the wood to kill the mold spores. In this case it may or may not kill the beetle eggs which is why it is being suggested. As for the smell? that goes away in a day or two and does nothing to harm your humi. Freezing your sticks for 24 hours may indeed work but that seems to be trying to quicken things up a little bit too much, patience and thouroughness will save a lot of sticks which may end up ruined otherwise.

As for not using Vinegar for mold... what would you suggest for killing the mold spores? This has to be done, cause I can tell you for sure that as soon as they are no longer frozen... those spores will become active again and will start the whole process over again. Smelly yes, effective? absolutely, and the smell will go away in a day or two of leaving the humi open, before reseasoning.

OK. To kill the beetle eggs I beleive the humi should be in the freezer for at least 24 hrs. then cleaned & re-seasoned. I said, "By the time it's re-seasoned" (which usually takes another day or two) then the sticks shoudle be good to go after a slow thaw.
    When we talk about Mold we're not talking about Black mold (like you would get in a water damage incident like if your basement flooded). We're also not talking about a lot of it either. Most of us are pretty good about paying close attention to things in our Humi's. That said; when we find mold its usually not extensive. Its usually the white fluffy 3D stuff we always talk about. Letting the humi remain below 63% rh for an extended period of time should do the trick. Mold likes 3 things. Damp, Dark, Moist environments. If you feel that is not enough to kill the mold (only making it dormant in other words), I would (& have) used Isopropyl alcohol. It is what is called a "Volatile" solvent. In other words it evaporates. Leaves no residue. I don't care what anyone says. In my opinion Vinegar smells. And I wouldn't want it in my humi. A mildewcide (which may or may not be acid in ph) is what is needed to kill mold in extensive situations. FOr the mold we get in out humi's, I beleive taking one of three things mold likes away (for an extended period of time 2-5 days) will do the trick. It has for me the one time I got mold.
    This is a Beetle issue wwhwang has though so, back to that; I'm not an exterminator but I beleive that Bugs will die if frozen and Larvae will not hatch after being frozen.
    Again, just my $.02.
  • Options
    Well now he has more information on which to base whatever HIS decision turns out to be. We are all only trying to help here, no? It's not a competition. As far as the mold / bug thing, I did say I was also talking with someone who was having a mold issue and got the two reply's screwed up when answering. I wasn't trying to change his issue. Why did you go there?
  • Options
    laker1963:
    Well now he has more information on which to base whatever HIS decision turns out to be. We are all only trying to help here, no? It's not a competition. As far as the mold / bug thing, I did say I was also talking with someone who was having a mold issue and got the two reply's screwed up when answering. I wasn't trying to change his issue. Why did you go there?
    Oh boy... Lakey.. Sweety.. Baby... I wasn't going anywhere O.K.? I was just answering your reply. Oh yeah; and trying to help as well. Sorry if I offended.
  • Options
    Well, I did some research and decided to freeze my humi for a day and wipe it down with a damp paper towel. Freezing the sticks now after putting them in a ziplock bags, packing paper, and double bagging them in grocery bags. Hopefully, I'll get beetle egg-free sticks. How long do you guys wait til they're smokable again? I heard it was one month in the humi?
  • Options
    KCW:
    laker1963:
    Oh boy... Lakey.. Sweety.. Baby... I wasn't going anywhere O.K.? I was just answering your reply. Oh yeah; and trying to help as well. Sorry if I offended.
    No offense. Just an explanation and a question. Why so condesending?