Home Non Cigar Related

Upcoming surgery / prayers request

Comments

• gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Ninja1100:
    I moved home 2 years ago to assist my mom in taking care of my dad. He suffered from Parkinson's and dementia, a year ago we got an aid to help out but I did most of the work. I would have had it no other way as my fathers son I felt it was my duty to help him. I am also blessed to be married to a beautiful woman whom also helped in the day to day care. My father passed away on August 30th and he is no longer suffering. The house is empty without him and we are here to support my mother. For everyone who helps their parents in failing health you are a good human being and shall be blessed. It is very hard and taxing on everyone but they are your parents and deserve your help, God Bless.

Ninja I am truly sorry for your loss bro. I already dread the thought of my dad leaving our home. So far he seems to be enjoying himself and having us around , just hope we are not getting on his nerves babying him !!!
  • Thank You Gmill, my pops was raised in Germany and as all Germans he was proud and did everything for himself. I as well as my wife and mother suffered to see him fed by the medical aids and in the wheel chair. Maybe it was bad for me but I wished his suffering came to an end. I miss him dearly but I know he is with my sister and in peace.

Peace to all.
    Update on Pops- starts physical therapy this week and getting stronger everyday ! Getting bossy again which is a good sign ... love 'em while ya have 'em . Much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving for sure.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Damn proud to hear it G-man! Enjoy your Thanksgiving and I'll keep your family in my prayers!
    Thanks Jason , hope you guys have a great thanksgiving !
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    Glad to hear your father is getting stronger; my grandmother-in-law had 2 heart value replacements in 2006 at the age of 80, she is doing great.
    God bless you and your family. Enjoy you Thanksgiving and you family.
    Thanks john much appreciated
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Gene, I apologize for not posting sooner. I don't normally look at this section of the forum. I'm glad to hear all went well.
    Thanks to everyone who thought of our family. A little update ... Dad went to the heart doctor yesterday and was released. They said he did much better than they thought possible. That was the good news . The news we are still worried about is he went to the VA hosp for his CT scan results Monday. The oncology doctor said he had lesions on both hip sockets that was caused by his prostate cancer !?! They have ordered bone scans for Dec 16 and we will get the results Dec 20th.

Dad went home Wednesday to his house ( he had been living with my wife and I since the surgery) and I feel kinda feel like when a child leaves home. I worry about what he's eating and is he taking his meds the way he is supposed to and a lot of other stuff.

Also, my daughter-in-law's due date for her baby was/is today ...no baby yet. Just a lot of stress right now. At what age do we get to set back and relax and not have anything to worry about ... does that time ever come !?!? Don't stop praying guys , you are much appreciated !
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey Geno...my thoughts and prayers continue to be with you and your family. You never stop worring about your family gene.
    Thanks Kaz ...
    My family is keeping you guys in our thoughts and prayers still! Hopefully things will get better soon bud.
    Appreciate ya bro ...
    Rough Day Guys. It was today we went back to the VA hospital for the bone-scan results. Bad news . Scans show bone cancer in right Pelvic front and back, more so back. Also rear scan shows 3 places / bone cancer on his spine and also showing rectal cancer as well. smaller places showing about 2 times on ribs is also probably cancer. Doctor says chemo is out because of how hard it would be on him from the recent surgery and other things wrong. We go back first or second week of Jan for further consultation and to come together for a plan to fight this . Possibly estrogen pills ??? was mentioned. Doctor did not seem to encouraging. He said with no treatment at all he had seen people live up to a year. He also said the treatments he thought they would recommend could extend his life 4-6 months but he would not be pinned down to giving specifics. Maybe when we meet for the consultation with the other doctors they will be more forthcoming. I know with everything we went thru with my wifes dad this year before he passed in March I want the full undiluted truth and nothing sugar-coated . Reading between the lines tells me maybe a year to a year and a half ??? I don't want to believe that ... not ready to let him go . He is trying to be tough but is pretty shook up as are we. What a day ...
    I'm really so to hear this man. My thoughts and prayers are still with you and your family! Hopefully he will fight as hard as he has all along and will amaze the Dr.s again! We are all here for you bud!
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Wow, Gene, I feel for you brother. I think of your dad and what he has been through this last year and what a fighter he has been through it all. He must be like a hero to you. We will keep you and your family in our thoughts over the holidays Gene. I am so sorry sir.
    Thanks guys , i really appreciste the support - can really use it right now .
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    My prayers are with you and your family this holiday season. I went through the same thing a few years back thinking it could be the last Christmas with my mom, and it was. Just keep your head up and enjoy the time that you can.
    Thanks buddy much appreciated
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My prayers are with you all. As a cancer survivor, I know the feeling when the Doctor says, "You have cancer!"

Hang in there and hope for a miracle, they do happen.
    tHANKS MAN
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    gmill880:
    Rough Day Guys. It was today we went back to the VA hospital for the bone-scan results. Bad news . Scans show bone cancer in right Pelvic front and back, more so back. Also rear scan shows 3 places / bone cancer on his spine and also showing rectal cancer as well. smaller places showing about 2 times on ribs is also probably cancer. Doctor says chemo is out because of how hard it would be on him from the recent surgery and other things wrong. We go back first or second week of Jan for further consultation and to come together for a plan to fight this . Possibly estrogen pills ??? was mentioned. Doctor did not seem to encouraging. He said with no treatment at all he had seen people live up to a year. He also said the treatments he thought they would recommend could extend his life 4-6 months but he would not be pinned down to giving specifics. Maybe when we meet for the consultation with the other doctors they will be more forthcoming. I know with everything we went thru with my wifes dad this year before he passed in March I want the full undiluted truth and nothing sugar-coated . Reading between the lines tells me maybe a year to a year and a half ??? I don't want to believe that ... not ready to let him go . He is trying to be tough but is pretty shook up as are we. What a day ...
    So sorry to hear all that Gene.. Still praying for you and your family.
    Thanks cabbi much appreciated
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Geno, Words fail me. Stay strong brother, your family remains in my prayers.
    thanks bro ... i appreciate it
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Every once in a while, modern medicine does something amazing. I'm praying that everything works out the best way possible for your Dad, brother. Take care, and stay strong.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    Thoughts and prayers to you. Hope all works out for the best.
    Well we were supposed to take dad back to the VA hospital in Asheville this morning ... but the snow and ice cancelled that out. He is really anxious for some more complete answers as are we . More waiting more nerves . Well at least I was scheduled off work today anyway . May go out to the garage and raise the door halfway ... pick something outta the humi ... and with a mug of Gentleman Jack try to enjoy the snow and forget about everything else for a while . We have about 3-4 inches on the ground now and its still snowing mixed with a little sleet .
    VA hosp trip tommorow . Dad not doing well last few days . lots of blood in his urine now . Will see what docs say tommorow .
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Travel safe Gene, will be praying for the best for you my friend.