Home General Discussion
Options

Cuban cigar advice

I have only been enjoying cigars for a short time so I need some advice.  I will be vacationing in Canada next week and thought I should take the opportunity to try a Cuban cigar.  Any recommendations for med-full bodied cigars that should be readily available at a reasonable price?

txs

Comments

• Options
    Romeo Y Julieta makes some absolutely delicious Cubans. The best part is that once you get back to the states you can smoke there Dominican versions. While they are not as good as the Cubans, they are still tasty cigars that are decently priced.
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    Not likely, but if you find the RyJ 2005 limited edition smoke, try it. I hear it's unbelievably fantastic. Hell, if you find some, let me know. Also, Montecristo seems to be a universal favorite. I think the Hoyo De Monterrey Epicure is quite good. A lot of people swear by the Ramon Allones Specially Selected, and they are on the cheaper side. I was gifted one, and thoroughly enjoyed it
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I know RYJ are good, not sure what type per-se..
    From what I have heard you can bring cubans into the states, but customs will probably take excess boxes and bundles. My uncle has actually came back from Cuba with two different boxes and was allowed in. Though a guy with 5 boxes had some taken. I guess the rule is as long as you do not "look" like you are going to be selling them you should be fine. I know I'd like to take a trip to cuba, and grab a few boxes..
  • Options
    Bringing any, even one, cuban cigar into the States is illegal. In fact, just buying a cuban cigar while on vacation out of the country is illegal. Not sure how they would enforce that law on a $20 cash transaction, but it is technically illegal.

That said, to the best of my knowledge no one has ever been criminally prosecuted for purchasing, or for carrying into the country, cuban cigars in a quantity consistent with personal consumption. They will most likely confiscate them if found at the border, and people have been known to face civil ($) penalties for buying via the 'net.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    make sure you buy from a certified cuban retailer. you will know it is by the words La Casa Del Habano.

if you wanna get technical, you cannot even smoke cubans outside of the US if you are a US citizen. you cant bring any back legally. that doesnt mean it does not happen. just be aware that it is against the law. what your uncle got away with depends on a host of factors including the date he came back, who was inspecting them, how many he had, etc...

also remember its not illegal if you dont get caught.

I would also like to recommend the ERDM (el Rey de mundo) choix supreme. I have never even heard of a bad review of those things. ... and on the cheaper side (but still ok) diplomaticos. make sure you get a box code with them and let them age for some time. most cubans tend to do better with age for some reason.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    That ranks right up there with "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" in my world view.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    kuzi16:
    I'd like to echo this....just don't get caught!

I like the Monte #2s...maybe a little too much, my brother swears by cohibas
  • Options
    If I were you, I would also be looking for the Bolivar Simones Ediciones Regionales Canada 2007
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406
    Would suggest the Hoya De Monterrey Petit Robusto - fantastic cigar. Can't go wrong with the Monte Christo #2 either.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Seems like maybe you should just get one of everything.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    As I recall, the H. Upmann #2 was also pretty good.
  • Options
    Big DeanBig Dean Posts: 120
    bbc020:
    kuzi16:
    I'd like to echo this....just don't get caught!

I like the Monte #2s...maybe a little too much, my brother swears by cohibas
    [I agree with his brother. Cohibas are excellent]
  • Options
    Vegas Robaina is one to look into as well, though be warned the unicos tend to draw on the tight side.
  • Options
    urbino:
    Seems like maybe you should just get one of everything.
    Totally agree.

Seriously though, for someone just starting out a Montecristo #2 or #4, a Cohiba of some sort (I'd go with the classic robusto but the Siglo line is really popular. On second thought, the Siglo is a little milder, targeted more towards the casual smoker instead of the diehards, so that might be a better recommendation for you), and a Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure Especial are the minimum must trys. If the Cohibas are too pricey, replace it with the RASS.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    make sure you buy from a certified cuban retailer. you will know it is by the words La Casa Del Habano.

if you wanna get technical, you cannot even smoke cubans outside of the US if you are a US citizen. you cant bring any back legally. that doesnt mean it does not happen. just be aware that it is against the law. what your uncle got away with depends on a host of factors including the date he came back, who was inspecting them, how many he had, etc...

I would also like to recommend the ERDM (el Rey de mundo) choix supreme. I have never even heard of a bad review of those things. ... and on the cheaper side (but still ok) diplomaticos. make sure you get a box code with them and let them age for some time. most cubans tend to do better with age for some reason.
    for some reason I thought it was okay for one to have them for only personal use.
  • Options
    Well according to cigar aficionado a Hoyo De Monterrey Churchill rated a 90 has a firm draw, with cocoa bean, toast and leather notes. 7 by 47.

Cohiba Siglo 2 robusto rated 90, earthy full smoke & coffee bean flavor. 5 1/8 by 42
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I'm fairly sure that it is legal to bring cigars in directly from Cuba if you are on a legally sanctioned trip from the U.S. but you may only bring enough for personal use. Which the term "enough for personal use" is left pretty much to the customs agents discretion...
  • Options
    Yeah, that is what I was trying to say. But that is such a loose law.. Boy just think, if someone pisses you off, all you have to do is yank their cigars.. what power! lol
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I know! What a cruel cruel punishment!!! I don't know if I could ever get over the loss!
  • Options
    Well it cant be that illegal if the US military allows Cubans to be sold on base.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    for some reason I thought it was okay for one to have them for only personal use.
    You're not even allowed to have one if someone gives it to you as a gift. The particular law is pretty thorough in its coverage, ridiculous as it is.
  • Options
    tankbonniestankbonnies Posts: 191
    Guys..I"m heading to Aruba on Sunday. Can you give me any suggestions on where to go and not get ripped off on Cuban's? Thx
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    phobicsquirrel:
    Yeah, that is what I was trying to say. But that is such a loose law.. Boy just think, if someone pisses you off, all you have to do is yank their cigars.. what power! lol
    My friend and I used to have a source for Cubans. It was a guy he worked with who had family in Cuba. He said the law was that if you brought them back directly from Cuba you can bring up to two boxes. Now, that was years ago. Around '99 or 2000 I think.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:
    You're not even allowed to have one if someone gives it to you as a gift. The particular law is pretty thorough in its coverage, ridiculous as it is.
    we have has this discussion before

• Options
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:

Grammar police, your cited to release two cigars... =)
  • Options
    the "d" and the "s" are right next to each other.

are you sure you didnt mean the "type-o" police?

• Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:

Since you failed to use proper grammar in your citation, you're required to forfeit those cigars to me.

Please refer to my sentence above if you wish to see an example of proper usage of the word "your" and the contraction "you're."
  • Options
    Guys, the rules on this are pretty straightforward. There really aren't any loopholes, nor is there room for interpretation. If you are traveling to Cuba under an OFAC license, then you can bring back up to 100 cigars, provided that their total value does not exceed $100. Otherwise it is illegal for a US national to purchase cuban cigars, or any other cuban goods, anywhere in the world. Since the people asking for advice don't have an OFAC license, it doesn't apply and even under the license it's not like you can bring back 2 boxes of Cohibas. With the $100 limit, you'd be looking at more like 3-6 cigars.
  • Options
    dutyje:
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:

Since you failed to use proper grammar in your citation, you're required to forfeit those cigars to me.

Please refer to my sentence above if you wish to see an example of proper usage of the word "your" and the contraction "you're."
    lol, yeah..
  • Options
    Scrambler:
    Guys, the rules on this are pretty straightforward. There really aren't any loopholes, nor is there room for interpretation. If you are traveling to Cuba under an OFAC license, then you can bring back up to 100 cigars, provided that their total value does not exceed $100. Otherwise it is illegal for a US national to purchase cuban cigars, or any other cuban goods, anywhere in the world. Since the people asking for advice don't have an OFAC license, it doesn't apply and even under the license it's not like you can bring back 2 boxes of Cohibas. With the $100 limit, you'd be looking at more like 3-6 cigars.
    Well thankfully the US military doesnt play by those rules. Cause we just had scotch & cigar night here on base and they were selling cubans.