Home General Discussion
Options

Cuban cigar advice

Comments

• Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    Blatalian:
    Well thankfully the US military doesnt play by those rules. Cause we just had scotch & cigar night here on base and they were selling cubans.
    Luckily for you, buying fake cubans isn't illegal. :-P

(Well, actually it is, if you are intending to buy real cuban cigars...)

Keep in mind that it has been estimated that 90% of "cuban" cigars for sale are counterfeit. They may still have cuban tobacco in them, but not be rolled in an authorized factory, in which case the blend and construction can be off. On the other hand, they might not be filled with tobacco at all. Unless you know exactly what to look for, and where to look for it, it's a huge gamble.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Scrambler:
    Guys, the rules on this are pretty straightforward. There really aren't any loopholes, nor is there room for interpretation. If you are traveling to Cuba under an OFAC license, then you can bring back up to 100 cigars, provided that their total value does not exceed $100. Otherwise it is illegal for a US national to purchase cuban cigars, or any other cuban goods, anywhere in the world. Since the people asking for advice don't have an OFAC license, it doesn't apply and even under the license it's not like you can bring back 2 boxes of Cohibas. With the $100 limit, you'd be looking at more like 3-6 cigars.
    no that rule has been taken away. see my provided link earlier in the thread
    kuzi16:
    Prior to August 1, 2004, persons returning to the United States who were licensed under the Regulations to engage in Cuba travel-related transactions were authorized by general license to import up to $100 worth of Cuban merchandise as accompanied baggage. Cuban tobacco and alcohol products were included in that general license. That general license was removed from the Regulations.
  • Options
    Well there you go, now there really are no loopholes.
  • Options
    jon mjon m Posts: 4
    Wow, I hadn't checked the thread in almost 24 hrs - it's been pretty active!  Thanks to everyone for the input and suggestions.

However, I would like to clarify my request.  I have no interest in bringing back any Cuban cigars with me.  Also, since I am rather new to cigars, I have no interest in trying to seek out hard-to-find or very expensive cigars.  I have yet to spend more than $10 for a smoke in the states and am looking to spend maybe ~$15 on my trip.

There are many reputable smoke shops in the downtown area near my hotel, so I'm not worried about fakes - I just need a few recommendations that should be fairly easy to find.

txs!

• Options
    Even if it seems like a reputable shop, if its not listed at http://www.havanahouse.com I would be very cautious. Even if it is listed on that site, unless it is also a La Casa del Habano, you're taking a gamble. Havana House is the only authorized distributor in Canada, but there is no guarantee that the retailers that buy from them only buy from them. LCDH stores are franchised by the Cuban government, and are the only place you can be even 99% sure.

Also, a $15 limit will price you out of most of the recommendations that have been made. If you stick with that budget, I'd recommend a Montecristo #4 or RyJ Cedros #3. You might be able to get a Partagas Serie D #4 or an HdM Epicure for a few dollars more, well worth it in my opinion.
  • Options
    Scrambler - txs for the info.  I will research the shops around my hotel.  I've been trying to research the prices of te recommendations so far and did discover, as you pointed out, that many were a bit more expensive than I had planned.  In addition to the two you mentioned, it appears that the Hoya de Monterrey Petit Robusto & the Vegas Robaina (at least the Famous HR) would only be a couple of dollars more.

I failed to mention in my post that I will specifically be spending a few nights in Toronto - does anyone have a specific cigar shop recommendation?  I've been gathering some info from Thomas Hinds Tobacconist .
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Scrambler:
    Guys, the rules on this are pretty straightforward. There really aren't any loopholes, nor is there room for interpretation. If you are traveling to Cuba under an OFAC license, then you can bring back up to 100 cigars, provided that their total value does not exceed $100. Otherwise it is illegal for a US national to purchase cuban cigars, or any other cuban goods, anywhere in the world. Since the people asking for advice don't have an OFAC license, it doesn't apply and even under the license it's not like you can bring back 2 boxes of Cohibas. With the $100 limit, you'd be looking at more like 3-6 cigars.
    no that rule has been taken away. see my provided link earlier in the thread
    kuzi16:
    Prior to August 1, 2004, persons returning to the United States who were licensed under the Regulations to engage in Cuba travel-related transactions were authorized by general license to import up to $100 worth of Cuban merchandise as accompanied baggage. Cuban tobacco and alcohol products were included in that general license. That general license was removed from the Regulations.
    It's time for a revolt! grrr... Too bad there wasn't more interest in other things such as out-source labor!! I hope this law doesn't last another 50 years..
  • Options
    jon m:
    I failed to mention in my post that I will specifically be spending a few nights in Toronto - does anyone have a specific cigar shop recommendation?  I've been gathering some info from Thomas Hinds Tobacconist .
    You're in luck. I don't know how far this is from your hotel, but it would be well worth your effort to check it out.

La Casa del Habano Toronto
    141 Yorkville Ave
    Toronto, ON
    M5R 1C4

I'd guess that Thomas Hinds is legit, but might as well go to the source.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I'll be sure to write that down, could come in handy in a trip to Canada..
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I can't remember who, but doesn't somebody around here live in Toronto, buy locally-rolled cigars at one of the shops, and praise them highly?

It'd be worth just doing a search of the forum for "Toronto".
  • Options
    Scrambler:
    You're in luck. I don't know how far this is from your hotel, but it would be well worth your effort to check it out.

About 2km and possibly along the way of one day's agenda - txs!
  • Options
    Blatalian:
    Well it cant be that illegal if the US military allows Cubans to be sold on base.
    Uh, they don't.
  • Options
    suprchunk:
    Blatalian:
    Well it cant be that illegal if the US military allows Cubans to be sold on base.
    Uh, they don't.
    I'm not talking about a state side base. And they do, I was there. I bought and smoked some.
  • Options
    sanesane Posts: 151
    My mom just went up there and she came back with a Cuban cigar for me from one of the B&M's. They told her to just take the band off the cigar and tell customs that it is a Dominican. Only problem is she forgot the band back in Canada and I now have no idea what kind it is.
  • Options
    StoogeeStoogee Posts: 157
    this post deleted
  • Options
    Stoogee:
    With all this talk of cubans does anyone know about a reputable online place to order them from where the prices are decent I have a "friend" that is interested in ordering some but doesnt want to get fakes and doesnt want to be ripped off on price either. I know its kind of an "rule" not to talk about other cigar merchants on this site so a PM to me would be fine if you have any information.
    this is not forum appropriate. Most forums that have a cuban cigar section wont let you talk about dealers. not only that but any cigar dealer is in competition with cigar.com and posting this info would be in poor taste.
  • Options

Hello all,

I am new to this site and new to cigar smoking all together. I have smoked a couple in the past but probably no more than 4 or 5. Well we just took a trip to Cancun and I picked up a couple of Cohibas.  I was curious if there is any way to tell if the Cohibas I got are real or fake? I got them from one of the little shops so who knows probably? Got home and bought a humidor and started purchasing some random samplers to give it a shot. I smoked cigarettes for about 10 years but quit about 6 months ago and missed smoking when I was out golfing so I thought cigars would be fab. I look forward to learning more about cigars as I have read quite a bit on these forums and it has got me super stoked!

Thanks a bunch!

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey mat4, welcome to you. There is a lot to be learned right here, and I have found many great new smokes based on comments and reviews here. Try some new cigars and I know you will find many fine smokes too. Samplers are the best way to discover what you like, good luck on your search. Let us know when you catch a winner.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I purchased some "cuban" cohibas on a trip to Mexico. Found out later that they were fake, but I think that is what inspired me to learn more about cigars and really take them seriously. Does that mean yours are fake? Can't say, but if you enjoy them that ought to be enough. Meanwhile there is a lot of good info here, I have to try pretty hard to not learn something new every time I visit the forums.
  • Options
    mat4twamp:
    I was curious if there is any way to tell if the Cohibas I got are real or fake?
    YES

its a good site. good info.
  • Options
    mat4twamp:
    I was curious if there is any way to tell if the Cohibas I got are real or fake?
    YES

• Options
    mat4twamp:
    YES

• Options
    mat4twamp:
    YES

• Options
    ya see... thats what happens when the site says they cant honor my request to make a post. you get a bunch of em.

do they all count to my post count?
  • Options
    Like once a month people ask for cubans or about them or something. Were are the mods from cigar.com? And why don't they sticky a topic on it?
  • Options
    Reading this post makes me depressed I think I must be the only person on here never to try a cuban, lol.
  • Options
    wmaxham:
    Like once a month people ask for cubans or about them or something. Were are the mods from cigar.com? And why don't they sticky a topic on it?
    Mods?...
    WE DONT NEED NO STINKIN MODS!!!
    ebitler:
    Reading this post makes me depressed I think I must be the only person on here never to try a cuban, lol.
    this is not true. Im fairly sure there are plenty. look at this rationally:
    If someone had zero experience with cuban cigars whatsoever, how would they be able to post advice on them? just by the way it is set up the people who posted on this thread giving advice HAD to have. it makes it look like everyone has tried them.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    kuzi for Secretary of Common Sense - since we are filling cabinet posts
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    kuzi16:
    Yes
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    kuzi16: