Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Baseball Thread

Well next month pitchers and catchers report so its getting close . Thought maybe some of you would enjoy a baseball thread to talk about our favorite teams and terrorize each other errr ... I mean engage in some good natured trash talk.

Baltimore Oriole fan for life here. After all the losing seasons in a row I have guarded optimism for this season. For the first time in over a decade Oriole front office has made some decent acquisitions. Trading for Mark Reynolds (3rd Base) , JJ Hardy at SS, Signing Derrick Lee for 1st base, Re-signing our best reliever from last season and adding Jeremy Accardo(sp) and also Kevin Gregg today. We now have bona fide major league talent across the infield where we had rejects and fill-ins for years and now a couple of guys in Lee and Reynolds who should be able to hit at LEAST 30 homers apiece playing in hitter friendly OPACY !!! Very young pitching staff will need to step up this year and fill their potential. Bullpen should be best quality than we have had in years . First full year under manager Buck Showalter and his own coaching staff this year will help as well. BUT we still play in the A.L. East with the damn Yankees and Red Sox !!! Barring injuries though I don't think anyone will be excited about playing us and just maybe, just maybe, if all the planets and stars align just right we could squeeze in as a wildcard. That would be a dream season compared from where we have come from .

Comments

• Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    By far my favorite sport.

Diehard Texas Rangers fan, I'm pleased with our performance last season.
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    ug danug dan Posts: 375
    Orioles fan here too. Can't wait it looks like they've made some good moves this offseason and they were starting to show some life at the end of last year.
  • Options
    I liked their move of getting Buck as the skipper. I'm a Cal Ripken fan, I have his ironman jersey with the patch on the sleeve.
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    Speaking of the AL East, what does anyone think of the Blue Jays? Everyone is biased about their own, but I think the Jays are certainly going in the right direction under new GM Alex Anthopoluous, quietly building for 2012, although some think a move or 2 could put them in contention this year, esp with the Yankees basically falling off the planet, but still spending majjor cash, kinda opens up the wild card a bit. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    asolomonasolomon Posts: 128
    My favorite sport too, which is a shame when living in Europe! And even worse, I'm a die-hard Mets fan :P But we've finally got a smart GM and a solid front office for the first time in over 20 years, unlike the last GM they're not rushing to sign aging players to overpriced contracts to patch holes, and are trying to build a base for success in the next few years, so if there's any time for a Mets fan to have hope it's probably now!
  • Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite sport by far..cant wait for spring training to roll around to make sure Chipper will be nice and healthy to come back for one more year. I really interested to see how Atlanta will do after the retirement of Bobby ****. We have solid pitching and some good young talent..time will tell!!
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    White Sox here-----Orioles guys, sorry fellas---competitve for last place perhaps this year. Yanks, BoSox, Jays, and then Os and my Rays (I live near Tampa, and root for them if not playing Sox)---------Os still need another bat and a #1 starter.
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    I too love the baseball... maybe we can translate this thread into the second annual BORK Fantasy Baseball League??? last year we only has 6 guys...so maybe we can expand on that this year...

but yes, I love baseball... HUGE Giants fan, as most of you know since I rarely shut up about it...

lets put it this way... I get more excited by the release of the Baseball America Prospect Handbook and Baseball Prospectus than I do by the SI Swimsuit Issue...

Can't wait for Timmy V. Kershaw on opening day... it'll be nice to start the season with a 3-game sweep in LA...

Sure, I think Toronto has a nice team... although trading Marcum was not the best of moves... sure Lawrie is a great prospect, but starting pitching is king, especially in the AL east... their offense isn't a question... not sure Bautista (LOVED him on me Fantasy team last year btw) can hit 50 jacks again, but they have bats all over the place... the rotation has the potential to be pretty good, but they are young and could use an arm like Marcum... so that move confuses me a little... I like the arms they added to the pen...

The teams that I think really helped themselves this off season are Detroit and Oakland... Boston and philly are too obvious... but it will be nice to watch as neither team will play in the WS...
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    robbyras:
    I too love the baseball... maybe we can translate this thread into the second annual BORK Fantasy Baseball League??? last year we only has 6 guys...so maybe we can expand on that this year...

but yes, I love baseball... HUGE Giants fan, as most of you know since I rarely shut up about it...

lets put it this way... I get more excited by the release of the Baseball America Prospect Handbook and Baseball Prospectus than I do by the SI Swimsuit Issue...

Can't wait for Timmy V. Kershaw on opening day... it'll be nice to start the season with a 3-game sweep in LA...

Sure, I think Toronto has a nice team... although trading Marcum was not the best of moves... sure Lawrie is a great prospect, but starting pitching is king, especially in the AL east... their offense isn't a question... not sure Bautista (LOVED him on me Fantasy team last year btw) can hit 50 jacks again, but they have bats all over the place... the rotation has the potential to be pretty good, but they are young and could use an arm like Marcum... so that move confuses me a little... I like the arms they added to the pen...

The teams that I think really helped themselves this off season are Detroit and Oakland... Boston and philly are too obvious... but it will be nice to watch as neither team will play in the WS...
    yeah.. yeah... Giants this...Giants that...you act like they won the World Series or something ;) oh yeah...they did! Congrats on that by the way...IMO...Giants had a harder time with the Braves than they did w/ the Rangers! lol....SF is a classy team since they stopped celebrating to ack Bobby ****, that was cool. Now...if we can just get rid of Brooks Conrad....here's to another baseball season!

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Krieg:
    robbyras:

yeah.. yeah... Giants this...Giants that...you act like they won the World Series or something ;) oh yeah...they did! Congrats on that by the way...IMO...Giants had a harder time with the Braves than they did w/ the Rangers! lol....SF is a classy team since they stopped celebrating to ack Bobby ****, that was cool. Now...if we can just get rid of Brooks Conrad....here's to another baseball season!
    I wonder if Brooks ever got my Christmas Card?
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    JCizzle:
    I liked their move of getting Buck as the skipper. I'm a Cal Ripken fan, I have his ironman jersey with the patch on the sleeve.

Best move they have made in years. I really think that had something to do with Derek Lee and Kevin Gregg signing here , or at least it didn't hurt anyway ! Huge Cal Ripken fan as well . Here's to a turnaround year !
  • Options
    bearb:
    Speaking of the AL East, what does anyone think of the Blue Jays? Everyone is biased about their own, but I think the Jays are certainly going in the right direction under new GM Alex Anthopoluous, quietly building for 2012, although some think a move or 2 could put them in contention this year, esp with the Yankees basically falling off the planet, but still spending majjor cash, kinda opens up the wild card a bit. Any thoughts?

I still think they can mix it up with the rest of the division ... not to be taken lightly.
  • Options
    Vulchor:
    White Sox here-----Orioles guys, sorry fellas---competitve for last place perhaps this year. Yanks, BoSox, Jays, and then Os and my Rays (I live near Tampa, and root for them if not playing Sox)---------Os still need another bat and a #1 starter.

The Orioles will definitly not finish in last place this year , they have acquired too much talent to not be competitive barring major injuries. If you want to be realistic look at the facts versus what the baseball talking heads are spewing. Look at Showalters time as manager with the team he had last year, I think their won - lost record was 2nd best in the majors and that included beating up the Yanks and Red Sox . Now fast forward to this year signing Derrick Lee , the first bona fide major league 1st baseman we have had since Rafiel Palmeiro . Recovered from Thumb injury he should be good for 30-36 homers in their park. Mark Reynolds may strike out alot but his numbers from lasyt year would have lead the O's in 4 offensive catagories. I'll take his strikouts this year along with another 30-32 homers and close to 90 rbi's...I'm just sayin. I'll also take JJ hardy at shortstop , first time since Miguel Tejada we have a bona fide SS who can field and has some pop in his bat, looking for 12-15 homers there. Our outfield has yet to play to their potential but was not too shabby anyway . Weiters behind the plate has a full season under his belt and has proven he can handle a pitching staff , now just needs to put up a little higher offensive numbers ( he gets my vote for the breakout oriole of the year, thats right you heard it here first ! ) Pitching with the experience our young guns gained last year and under the watchful eye of Buck Showalter will be a strenght rather than a weakness , i truly believe these guys are going to take the next step ... they were awsome last 2 months of last season. The bullpen will be reliable with the re-signing of Koji and then signing Gregg we already had some damn good arms there anyway . The Orioles could very well fly under everyones radar and thats fine with me . I just don't like when people make judgements based on the past rather than the present . The Yank's don't scare me at all and we are just as good as Toronto and Tampa at this point. Now the Red Sox are going to be a handful for anyone unless the are killed by injuries. I still think we can be a wildcard contender ... I didn't say we will BE a wildcard but at least a wildcard contender play meaningful games in September for the first time in 14 years !!! You can feel free to pull this post back up in September if I'm wrong and I will eat my humble pie and mail you my rose colored glasses and some nice sticks to smoke while you wear them Volchur ... can't wait for the season to begin !!!
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Baseball? What's that?
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    As a Cubs fan, I can relate with Oriole's fans. That division is just too frickin crazy with the Yanks and the BoSox..... They might not finish last, but they ain't winnin that division. Ever. Their only shot is to sneak in as a wildcard. And good luck with Lee. He's broken my heart for the last 8 years, or so. If he hits 20 homers, I'd be shocked. Same with K. Gregg. He's a bust-out closer. If it's it's less than a 3 run cushion, he'll most likely blow it.

My Cubbies are gonna suck the big one this year. Picking up Carlos Pena is the worst waste of $10 MIL I've ever seen. They should just give ME the 10 MIL and I guarantee I get on base more than he does!

Our pitching staff is brutal. And the rest of the line-up ain't much to shake a stick at, either.

Our only saving grace every year, is that besides the Cardinals, our division sucks. So, we always have potential to make the playoffs..... albeit slim.

I like the A's this year. They're my "pick-to-click" this year.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    As a Cubs fan, I can relate with Oriole's fans. That division is just too frickin crazy with the Yanks and the BoSox..... They might not finish last, but they ain't winnin that division. Ever. Their only shot is to sneak in as a wildcard. And good luck with Lee. He's broken my heart for the last 8 years, or so. If he hits 20 homers, I'd be shocked. Same with K. Gregg. He's a bust-out closer. If it's it's less than a 3 run cushion, he'll most likely blow it.

My Cubbies are gonna suck the big one this year. Picking up Carlos Pena is the worst waste of $10 MIL I've ever seen. They should just give ME the 10 MIL and I guarantee I get on base more than he does!

Our pitching staff is brutal. And the rest of the line-up ain't much to shake a stick at, either.

Our only saving grace every year, is that besides the Cardinals, our division sucks. So, we always have potential to make the playoffs..... albeit slim.

Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    Buck will get the O's heading in the right direction, but they're still a good bit away from the destination. The Red Sox will win the AL East, and not just because of Crawford and Gonzalez. They hung in there despite all of the injuries and Mike Cameron's carcass in the outfield. With Theo making some moves, they're going to be dangerous. CAIRO projections have them with the best record in baseball, although it's still really early for that. Still, they worry me since I'm a diehard Rangers fan and we're in the same league. Of course, a lot of this depends on health and Beckett and Lackey not stinking up the mound.

I've enjoyed watching the Angels cry as everyone they've gone after turned them down, and they're big fish in Beltre plays for the defending AL West champs now.

I can't wait for baseball. I'm climbing up the wall I'm so excited it's almost here again. And yeah, if you guys want to do a league again, I'm definitely down for it.
  • Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    Big Indians fan here. It's a nice little club here in northeastern Ohio. They have uniforms and everything.

I'm by no means a fair weather fan, but they are just getting harder and harder to tolerate. But as long as it's a nice night, the radio works, and beer is cold, I'll sit outside with a cigar and listen to the Tribe. I prefer listening than I do on watching on tv. I get into the game more. When I watch them on tv, I flip channels during commercials and as fast as the Tribe goes through their lineup, I could miss two innings within five minutes.
  • Options
    lilwing88:

It's far from a given that Gregg would be our closer. Koji Uehara is the odds favorite now to be closer although anything can happen. Uehara was lights out most of the last half of the season and rarely , rarely ever walks anyone. I see Gregg and Jim Johnson as the two set-up men at this point.
  • Options
    undulac:
    Big Indians fan here. It's a nice little club here in northeastern Ohio. They have uniforms and everything.

I'm by no means a fair weather fan, but they are just getting harder and harder to tolerate. But as long as it's a nice night, the radio works, and beer is cold, I'll sit outside with a cigar and listen to the Tribe. I prefer listening than I do on watching on tv. I get into the game more. When I watch them on tv, I flip channels during commercials and as fast as the Tribe goes through their lineup, I could miss two innings within five minutes.

Haha I remember the year Boog Powell ( for you youngsters google it ) was traded to the Tribe , he looked like a giant bloody mary in those atrocious solid red uniforms !!!
  • Options
    undulac:

I have a Pedro Cerrano jersey lol.
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    i know what you guys are going through as a huge giants fan, yes we did win the world series, but we have not had a great team since i have been old enough to follow baseball but everything can turn around and fast 2 years ago we were horrible and this year we won it.
  • Options
    robbyras:
    Krieg:
    robbyras:

I wonder if Brooks ever got my Christmas Card?
    lol...oh man...that was low...but funny

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    As most of us know I'm a big Rangers fan and I'm excited by the addition of Adrian Beltre. Great 3rd baseman to add to our award winning young S.S. Elvis Andrus and Michael Young being the DH who can be moved around to fill in the in-field where needed. Should be an exciting here. Also curious to see if the deal with Brandon Webb will pay off or not. Hate that we lost Cliff Lee, but don't blame the team's management for not giving him a guaranteed 7th year.
  • Options
    Rangers ... Rangers ... that rings a bell somewhere ...Rangers ...just messin with ya Puro . You guys will still have a h*ll of a team again this year .
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    As most of us know I'm a big Rangers fan and I'm excited by the addition of Adrian Beltre. Great 3rd baseman to add to our award winning young S.S. Elvis Andrus and Michael Young being the DH who can be moved around to fill in the in-field where needed. Should be an exciting here. Also curious to see if the deal with Brandon Webb will pay off or not. Hate that we lost Cliff Lee, but don't blame the team's management for not giving him a guaranteed 7th year.
    You mean our award winning shortstop had the Yankees' nutriders not given Jeter another undeserved Gold Glove? Elvis was the better fielder statistically than Jeter in 2010. Jeter had the better fielding percentage, but he also gave up almost five runs below average defensively, while Elvis was in the positive, meaning he saved runs. Elvis also got to more balls than Jeter. Richard Durrett broke it all down after the Gold Gloves were announced, and there's been several other writers not involved with the Rangers or Yankees who feel like Jeter shouldn't have gotten it. The point is, Elvis had the better sabermetrics, which the voters apparently look at(or don't look at).
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Matt Marvel:
    PuroFreak:
    You mean our award winning shortstop had the Yankees' nutriders not given Jeter another undeserved Gold Glove? Elvis was the better fielder statistically than Jeter in 2010. Jeter had the better fielding percentage, but he also gave up almost five runs below average defensively, while Elvis was in the positive, meaning he saved runs. Elvis also got to more balls than Jeter. Richard Durrett broke it all down after the Gold Gloves were announced, and there's been several other writers not involved with the Rangers or Yankees who feel like Jeter shouldn't have gotten it. The point is, Elvis had the better sabermetrics, which the voters apparently look at(or don't look at).
    He still won awards, like the Gibby. That's what I was speaking about.
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    Matt Marvel:
    PuroFreak:
    He still won awards, like the Gibby. That's what I was speaking about.
    I figured, but I can't help but to point it out. I'm still steamed about it. With Beltre's defense at 3B, Elvis' numbers should be a ton better. I mean, the kid has practically covered the entire left side of the infield in his two years in the big leagues. Now he can just play short stop instead of short and third.
  • Options
    I used to live one mile away from the Rangers spring training facility in Surprise, AZ. I loved that place.
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    Not sure if any of you guys do this too, but I often go see the Braves' minor league teams. Where I live, the Rome Braves (class A) is about 45min away. Ticket prices are great, $10 for best seats! I took my 3 year old to his first game last year, and he loved it. You are VERY close to the field... We were sitting 1st row, right behind home plate and one of the Braves batters was stepping in...my son decided all of a sudden to Yell 'GO BRAVES and caused the batter to start laughing and had to step out...very comical, lol...

I also like seeing some of the guys play before they get called up to the Majors.

"Long ashes my friends."