Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Support Your Team!

Comments

• Options
    That's fine. Just wait until after the Cards win the Superbowl.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    dutyje:
    Luko:
    Looks like Troy answered all those Ed Reed vs. Troy Polamalu questions!
    Don't get carried away with this. I think that the "rookie quarterback vs. veteran quaterback in an Championship" question was answered once again. It's the Ben Roethlisberger rule. You can't come up from college football and lead your team to the Super Bowl as a rookie. At some point, the pressure will get to you, and you will fold, even if your team doesn't depend on you to win games.

Joe Flacco came up out of 1-AA and performed exceptionally well. Remember Ben's first playoff? A lot of similarities there. Watch out for the Ravens in coming years.

In the meantime, I'll be petitioning Barack Obama tomorrow to pardon Jake Delhomme with his first act as President, and set up a re-match between the Cards and the Panthers for the NFC Championship :)
    Sure...go ahead with your pardon request...In the meantime, I'll be watching Troy, the best safety in the game, picking off Kurt once or maybe twice in the Super Bowl.
  • Options
    So, superbowl picks? Cards 31 steelers 17
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    bangalohr:
    So, superbowl picks? Cards 31 steelers 17
    HAHAHA ... dream on bang-a-****! 21-17 Steelers.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    31-28 Steelers... But I wish it would be reversed and the Cards would edge by the Steelers...
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I find it impossible to come up with a score to this game that makes sense. I can't see the Cards putting up points against the Steelers D, but I can't see anybody stopping the Cards' offense. I see the Card putting huge pressure on Big Ben, but he's amazingly slippery... but then so was McNabb.

The more I think about it, the more I think Banger's right with his prediction.. but that sells the Pittsburgh offense short against the Cards' overachieving defense. I'm pulling for Big Ben and the Steelers, but the Cards look really sharp. If I'm forced to make a prediction, I'll say Steelers take this 27 - 21. Warner throws a couple picks slinging the ball out against pressure. The Steelers offense churns and sputters, but does enough to wear a big hole in the D-line by the end of the game.
  • Options
    I'm sure Warner will have a lot of pressure, but they've done well in their pass blocking and he's sharp enough to dump it underneath and not try to force it. If the Steelers bring many blitzes, they're going to be forced to pay for it by two of the best receivers in the league. Lets not forget that the Cards beat the Steelers last year and want nothing in the world more than to prove that they belong. If anyone forces the ball so hard that they throw picks, it'll be Ben.
  • Options
    Banger -

It could easily go down as you say. The QB that's facing the early deficit will be the one to force it and throw picks. It may just come down to the special teams play and turnovers in the first half. I expect that this game will be uninteresting in the second half, and the team with the lead at the half wins it. I think either team has an equal chance of winning. I have a hard time predicting the Cards over my #2 team... hehe.. Doody's #2.
  • Options
    Hmmm, let's see. The Steelers D has been more than just the best defense in the NFL this year. Statistically, it's one of the best defenses OF ALL TIME. Gave up more than 300 yards of offense this year. Just the one time. 1st against the pass, 2nd against the run (would have been first against the run if not for about 15 yards or so by Jamal Lewis in the last game of the season). Opposing QBs had a rating of about 60 against the Steelers.

Oh, and the Steelers played a scheduled that was objectively ranked the toughest since the leagues merged.

Would you say the Cardinals offense is among the best of all time?

Upsets happen all the time...like Berman says, it's why the play the games. I like the Cards (cause of Whiz) and if it was any other team, I'd be wishing them luck. If they win, they beat a great team. If they lose, well that's what was supposed to happen.

Sure, the Cards offense is very good. So I could reasonably see something like Steelers 28, Cards 21. Ben didn't have a great year, but he was terrific against San Diego and the Ravens, in my opinion. He's picked his game up at the right time.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09009/940658-66.stm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs2008/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3849777
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Warner is the type of QB who handles the blitz well. Knows it when he sees it, knows where to go with the ball to burn it. And he's got good receivers. The 'burgh is definitely the favorite, but that one spot where the Cards strength somewhat neutralizes the Steelers' strength should keep it interesting.

OTOH, I think doody's right. Whoever gets up early is likely to win.
  • Options
    You're right. To me, the one X factor in this is Warner. Last year the Steelers and Cards played. I can't remember if Leinart got hurt or yanked, but Warner came in and pretty much picked us apart. He does handle the blitz well and Fitzgerald has pretty much established himself as the best receiver in the game.

On the other hand, the Steelers secondary has played very, very well this year. We always have a good defense, but in past years, I would say the secondary has been our (relative) weak link. But this year, they've been lights out. Ike Taylor will be covering Fitzgerald. He's fast and tall for a corner, so hopefully he can hold Fitzgerald to maybe one TD and only 100 yards or so??

But you're right, I worry about what Warner can do.

In unrelated news, were any of you aware Warner was packing groceries not all that long ago.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947

Cards-23

Steelers-17

• Options
    Luko:
    In unrelated news, were any of you aware Warner was packing groceries not all that long ago.
    Never heard that story. Hopefully the announcers will take the time to tell us about it one or two hundred times in the week-long hypefest before the game.
  • Options
    Also, and please keep this under your hat, Larry Fitzgerald was once a ballboy for the Vikings and he learned how to be a receiver from watching and talking with Cris Carter.

Presumably, he did not learn how to do the pre- and post-game blow.
  • Options
    Luko:
    Ike Taylor will be covering Fitzgerald. He's fast and tall for a corner, so hopefully he can hold Fitzgerald to maybe one TD and only 100 yards or so?

That's hilarious. Just 100 yards and a score? If you're going to be optimistic, might as well hope he shuts him down. He's going to put up numbers so big that the Cards won't mind letting Boldin go to make more cap room to improve their run blocking next year.
  • Options
    So, Bang-a-****. We should represent here. Care to make a wager on the game...maybe a sampler, or some mutually agreed-upon sticks?
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    dutyje:
    Luko:
    Never heard that story. Hopefully the announcers will take the time to tell us about it one or two hundred times in the week-long hypefest before the game.
    Heh. No kidding.

Hey, did anybody hear Brett Favre might retire? God, what a great quarterback!
  • Options
    Yea, I heard Favre was gonna retire, FOR THE PAST 3 FREAKIN YEARS!!!! haha
  • Options
    bangalohr:
    Luko:
    Ike Taylor will be covering Fitzgerald. He's fast and tall for a corner, so hopefully he can hold Fitzgerald to maybe one TD and only 100 yards or so?

That's hilarious. Just 100 yards and a score? If you're going to be optimistic, might as well hope he shuts him down. He's going to put up numbers so big that the Cards won't mind letting Boldin go to make more cap room to improve their run blocking next year.
    With what Fitz has been doing 100 yards and a TD would be containing him. lol
  • Options
    urbino:
    dutyje:
    Luko:
    Heh. No kidding.

Hey, did anybody hear Brett Favre might retire? God, what a great quarterback!
    Did anyone hear that Anquan Boldin wasn't happy about being benched on the game winning drive and yelled at his OC? I mean what kind of guy gets upset when he's not in for the game winning drive ... sheesh, what a ...
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    Yea, I heard Favre was gonna retire, FOR THE PAST 3 FREAKIN YEARS!!!! haha
    Who's is he kidding ? they are going to bury him in full pads and a #4 Jersey..
  • Options
    So, as important as Kurt Warner has been to the Cardinals success, I'm sick of hearing him say that making it to superbowl 43 is a part of Gods plan for him. I'm hoping to see James Harrison rip his arm off late in the fourth quarter. Hopefully the Cards are leading by then.
  • Options
    Growing up, I was a Rams fan. I became a Panther fan when I moved down south, and the Rams won the Super Bowl that year. Since the Panthers were not in the playoffs, I re-adopted my old team for that year, and loved Kurt Warner, and loved seeing the Rams win. I loved the story, everything... It was great.

In interviews after the game, he went on and on about how God was responsible for his victory.. blah blah blah.. It was a huge turnoff for me. So what are we supposed to think? The Titans are all a bunch of pagans? God wanted the Titans to lose? That was an awesome stop God had on Derick Mason as the clock expired. I hate that crap.
  • Options
    I agree! Whether you believe in God or not, don't ya think if he is up there he has a few more important things on his mind than making sure Kurt Warner gets to the Super Bowl one more time in his life??? I would hope so! Although if it was a widely known fact God was a big football fan it could make church a LOT more interesting!!! Imagine the possabilities!!! haha
  • Options

Run into the same up here where I work, its like all the other teams are pure heatherns(sp) !

I can hear the announcer now: 1st and 10 from the 40.......the Hoardes from Hell qb rolls right.....HE 'S GOT A DEMON WR OPEN DOWN THE SIDELINE....20-10-TD!!!

• Options
    Yea I know I have a warped sense of humor ....
  • Options
    God should really be ashamed of Himself for the numbers He made Kurt Warner put up from '02 to '05.
  • Options
    If god gave 2 **** about football, he'd make the sabbath tuesday to accomodate it. I wonder how warner justifies missing church.
  • Options
    Maybe thats how the whole church on sunday thing started... Gather with people of like minds to worship and pray their bookies offer a payment plan! lol And the lord said to the priest, and the priest said to the bishop, and the bishop said to the Cardinals "LETS SEE SOME BLOCKING OUT THERE YOU BUMS!!!!" I'm a bit twisted myself.
  • Options
    Good point Puro.. They're the freaking Cardinals!! If God were a football fan, don't you think they'd have been to the Super Bowl before this year? He either hates football, or He isn't very effective at meddling in the day-to-day affairs of humanity. Either way, Kurt, you're on your own out there, so you'd better have a better plan than, "God will take care of me."