Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Cigar Catadore Reviews

13»

Comments

• Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't heard of La Palina Cigars it might be because the brand retired in 1926 when founder Samuel Paley retired. Samuel's son, William Paley, sponsored a radio show which increased sales and eventually led him to buy five radio stations in Philadelphia. This is how Columbia Broadcasting System (CBS) began. The Paley family has an incredible family history and Bill Paley, the son of William and grandson of Samuel, decided to revive the La Palina Cigar brand. Their website gives a great account of the story behind La Palina and you should read it some time. Bill Paley and I share the same birthday and I have had the pleasure of meeting him and spending some time talking with him.

Bill Paley gave me this cigar a year ago and it has been resting in my humidor since. I finally decided to smoke it when my buddy Rick (RCYcigars) sent me the same exact cigar and asked me if I would review it. I tend to smoke 2 or more cigars when doing a review.

"Over a century ago, my grandfather, Samuel Paley created the first La Palina. Sadly, when Sam retired in 1926, his La Palina retired with him. She has been in our hearts ever since. Now she’s back: a cigar of impeccable elegance and finesse, and well worth waiting for. The Paley family is delighted to celebrate La Palina’s long-awaited return."

Size: 6X52
    Wrapper: Equador
    Binder: Costa Rica
    Filler: Honduras and Nicaragua
    Price: $22

The Family Series currently comes in four sizes that are each named for a member of the Paley Family. Today I am smoking the Alison which is named after Bill's wife and dedicated to her for supporting and encouraging the revival of La Palina Cigars. An interesting note is this blend uses two different wrappers depending on the size. The Alison and Little Bill have an Ecuadorian Wrapper while The Babe and Pasha have a Costa Rican capa.

The wrapper is a nice light caramel color with a rustic look. There are a few prominent veins and bumps in the wrapper that are not hard. It isn't a toothiness just a couple of bumpy spots. As I roll the cigar in my fingers I can feel the cigar is evenly and well rolled with no soft spots or hard spots for that matter. There is a sweet floral and spice aroma off the foot and wrapper. As with any torpedo vitola I use my Xikar Xi3 to cut my cigar. The bands on La Palina cigars are classic and elegant. While researching the brand I discovered the woman on the cigar band is Samuel Paley's wife, Goldie Drell Paley. On the pre-light draw I get a sweet spiciness that is very appealing.

Putting a dual torch lighter to the foot quickly results in a fantastic aroma in the air. The Alison starts off pretty mild and smooth to me. I experience a little sweetness that quickly picks up a toasty dry oak and spiciness. A few inches in there is a nutty creaminess and I get some enjoyable spice on the retrohale that does not burn. This is definitely hitting the medium range now and everything feels balanced and just right. Now enters a hint of pepper and I get a cinnamon flavor on the finish. As I get into the last portion of this cigar the toasty oak flavor returns with a kind of floral flavor mixed with a fruitiness. A very unique ending to a cigar.

The draw on this cigar was just right and there was plenty of smoke filling the air. I have never seen an ash as dark as this one was and I truly regret not having my camera handy to capture this for you. Ash color is not indicative of a good or bad cigar. When I first started smoking it seemed everyone wanted a cigar with a bright white ash. In all of my reading I came across an article that explained ash color had a lot to do with the type of tobacco, soil conditions, and more. The ash held well for about 2 inches before I would knock it off with a little effort. The burn got a little crooked and I had to relight the cigar many times.

This is one of those cigars that leaves me confused. It is a very complex cigar and it has a lot of wonderful things going on. I mentioned earlier that it was balanced and by that I mean all the flavors and the strength of the cigar were just right. Nothing was dominant or overpowering. Everything just seemed to compliment the other. At the same time the burn issue was bothersome but not so much to turn me away. Another issue is the price point in the twenty dollar range. I want to love this cigar but the price just doesn't appeal to me. If I fall in love it means spending more money for less cigars. It is a predicament for sure. I would have to say this is one of those special moment cigars. If you come across them I would consider picking up one or two for that special occasion or maybe a box to smoke one each year on your child's birthday. As much as I would like to I just can't make these a part of my regular rotation of cigars....... unless I win the Powerball tonight!

There is a wonderful family history to this company and Bill Paley definitely has family pride. I like how he honors his heritage and family in revitalizing the La Palina Cigar brand. I intend to seek out the other blends so I can experience more. Please visit the La Palina Cigars website to read more about this cigar company. I truly wish Bill Paley much success. A few months ago we were visiting an antique shop and I found an original La Palina cigar box. I thought it was pretty cool finding a piece of Paley family history right here in the midwest.

Twitter: @LaPalinaCigars
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/La-Pa...r/147765577512

The best cigar is a cigar shared with a friend.

Read More & See Some Pics......
  • Options
    I have some IPCPR Press Releases posted up and will have more each day this week. Check back to se who is doing what. Unfortunately with 170 new releases I can't cover it all.
  • Options
    I was recently contacted by Gary Griffith and he said he had a couple cigars he wanted me to try out. Ummmm, yeah! Now I don't know Gary very well but following him on Twitter he seems to be one heck of a good guy with a strong passion for cigars. Around this same time I had a trade worked out with a buddy on a cigar forum. He sends me an Emilio Cigars AF1 and AF2 and says they are incredible and he wants me to give them a try. All of the sudden I am hearing a lot about Emilio Cigars and my curiosity is peaked. I get a package from Gary Griffith the next day that contains a Grimalkin, AF1, and AF2 in the toro size.

So what in the world is a Grimalkin and why does this cigar's band feature a set of cat eyes? "A grimalkin (also called a greymalkin) is an old or evil-looking female cat. The term stems from "grey" (the color) plus "malkin", an archaic term for a cat. Scottish legend makes reference to the grimalkin as a faery cat which dwells in the highlands." There you have it right from the Emilio Cigars website.

The Emilio Cigars Grimalkin is available in three sizes: Robusto, Toro, and Torpedo. As far as the details of the cigar there seems to be a mystery surrounding it and no one is talking. This cigar will be limited in quantity and comes out of Esteli, Nicaragua. There are no details on the blend and I had to call around for pricing which was $9.50 for the Toro.

When I first saw this cigar my initial reaction was what a great looking stick. The unique name and cigar band stick out and kind of add to the mystery of this cigar. Putting this cigar in the humidor to give it a little rest was really hard. I wanted to smoke it right away. This cigar just feels great in my hand and it is packed full of tobacco which is evident looking at the foot. The wrapper has a hint of oil and a nice medium brown color. A fine toothiness can be seen with a few tiny veins on the wrapper. The triple cap is applied perfectly and I just can't find any visual flaws in this cigar. There is a floral and cinnamon aroma on the wrapper while the foot has the aroma of wood and spice added to the floral. The pre-light draw was sweet and spicy.

Toasting the foot of this cigar brings out some wonderful aromas and I am anxious for the first puff. Initially I am hit with spice and pepper followed quickly by a leathery finish. This cigar produces a lot of nice white smoke and the draw is perfect. It is burning evenly and remained perfect to the end. The ash is a beautiful bright white and it holds well. Getting a little further into the cigar there is a cedar flavor and hints of cinnamon. The half way mark brings a citrus flavor I would say reminds me of an orange peel. Mix in some more cedar, coffee, and cocoa towards the end. On the retrohale I experienced cinnamon and spice that was very unique. What a wonderfully balanced medium cigar. All the flavors compliment one another and the strength is just right for me.

Now I have finished this cigar and I sit here alone reflecting on it. Gary Griffith has a definite winner here. I am almost reluctant to spread the word because if this is limited production it might become hard to get more. Boutique cigars are a passion of mine. I really enjoy finding those amazing cigars that aren't well known to the cigar masses. Everyone knows about the big names out there but there are little companies making cigars that sometimes run circles around the big guys. This is definitely one of the best cigars I have smoked this year. I do not use a rating system but I would say it is in the top 3 for the year so far.

I highly recommend this cigar and think it is worthy of a box purchase. Notice I didn't hesitate to offer that opinion. The price point on this cigar seems just right to me for the experience I had. You get a complex and well balanced medium cigar that is beautifully constructed. After smoking this I can't wait to get to the Emilio AF1 and AF2. I have heard nothing but good about those as well. I will be reviewing those very soon. Make sure you follow Gary on Twitter and visit the Emilio Cigars website to find a retailer.

http://cigarcatadore.blogspot.com/2011/07/emilio-cigars-grimalkin-toro.html
  • Options
    I was recently contacted by Gary Griffith and he said he had a couple cigars he wanted me to try out. Ummmm, yeah! Now I don't know Gary very well but following him on Twitter he seems to be one heck of a good guy with a strong passion for cigars. Around this same time I had a trade worked out with a buddy on a cigar forum. He sends me an Emilio Cigars AF1 and AF2 and says they are incredible and he wants me to give them a try. All of the sudden I am hearing a lot about Emilio Cigars and my curiosity is peaked. I get a package from Gary Griffith the next day that contains a Grimalkin, AF1, and AF2 in the toro size.

So what in the world is a Grimalkin and why does this cigar's band feature a set of cat eyes? "A grimalkin (also called a greymalkin) is an old or evil-looking female cat. The term stems from "grey" (the color) plus "malkin", an archaic term for a cat. Scottish legend makes reference to the grimalkin as a faery cat which dwells in the highlands." There you have it right from the Emilio Cigars website.

The Emilio Cigars Grimalkin is available in three sizes: Robusto, Toro, and Torpedo. As far as the details of the cigar there seems to be a mystery surrounding it and no one is talking. This cigar will be limited in quantity and comes out of Esteli, Nicaragua. There are no details on the blend and I had to call around for pricing which was $9.50 for the Toro.

When I first saw this cigar my initial reaction was what a great looking stick. The unique name and cigar band stick out and kind of add to the mystery of this cigar. Putting this cigar in the humidor to give it a little rest was really hard. I wanted to smoke it right away. This cigar just feels great in my hand and it is packed full of tobacco which is evident looking at the foot. The wrapper has a hint of oil and a nice medium brown color. A fine toothiness can be seen with a few tiny veins on the wrapper. The triple cap is applied perfectly and I just can't find any visual flaws in this cigar. There is a floral and cinnamon aroma on the wrapper while the foot has the aroma of wood and spice added to the floral. The pre-light draw was sweet and spicy.

Toasting the foot of this cigar brings out some wonderful aromas and I am anxious for the first puff. Initially I am hit with spice and pepper followed quickly by a leathery finish. This cigar produces a lot of nice white smoke and the draw is perfect. It is burning evenly and remained perfect to the end. The ash is a beautiful bright white and it holds well. Getting a little further into the cigar there is a cedar flavor and hints of cinnamon. The half way mark brings a citrus flavor I would say reminds me of an orange peel. Mix in some more cedar, coffee, and cocoa towards the end. On the retrohale I experienced cinnamon and spice that was very unique. What a wonderfully balanced medium cigar. All the flavors compliment one another and the strength is just right for me.

Now I have finished this cigar and I sit here alone reflecting on it. Gary Griffith has a definite winner here. I am almost reluctant to spread the word because if this is limited production it might become hard to get more. Boutique cigars are a passion of mine. I really enjoy finding those amazing cigars that aren't well known to the cigar masses. Everyone knows about the big names out there but there are little companies making cigars that sometimes run circles around the big guys. This is definitely one of the best cigars I have smoked this year. I do not use a rating system but I would say it is in the top 3 for the year so far.

I highly recommend this cigar and think it is worthy of a box purchase. Notice I didn't hesitate to offer that opinion. The price point on this cigar seems just right to me for the experience I had. You get a complex and well balanced medium cigar that is beautifully constructed. After smoking this I can't wait to get to the Emilio AF1 and AF2. I have heard nothing but good about those as well. I will be reviewing those very soon. Make sure you follow Gary on Twitter and visit the Emilio Cigars website to find a retailer.

• Options
    grannejagranneja Posts: 382
    Like the blog jsnake. Didn't know you were in KC. Might have to give you a ring next time I am in town for LC's ribs. I like to stop by Fidel's and have a smoke or four...
  • Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Nice review brother. I've got 4 of these resting. Need to light one of these up this weekend. I'm just scared because after I smoked the AF1 I had to buy a box and I've already blown my cigar budget.
  • Options
    amz1301:
    Nice review brother. I've got 4 of these resting. Need to light one of these up this weekend. I'm just scared because after I smoked the AF1 I had to buy a box and I've already blown my cigar budget.
    You sent me the AF1 and AF2 right? Gary Griffith sent me 1 of each as well the next day.
  • Options
    granneja:
    Like the blog jsnake. Didn't know you were in KC. Might have to give you a ring next time I am in town for LC's ribs. I like to stop by Fidel's and have a smoke or four...
    Heck yeah I am up for some BBQ and cigars. I like Fidel's.
  • Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    jsnake:
    amz1301:
    You sent me the AF1 and AF2 right? Gary Griffith sent me 1 of each as well the next day.
    Yep, Gary's a character. When I went in to pick up that box of AF1's he pulled a Terrell Owens on me and whips a sharpie out of his sock and signs it. Pretty Hilarious, lol.
  • Options
    If you know anything about me, you know how much I like Viaje Cigars. I admit I have not smoked every blend yet but I am in the process of completing the task. So far I have enjoyed each Viaje blend I have smoked and the White Label Project 50/50 Red has kept the streak going. Viaje White Label Project (WLP) are experimental cigars with different blends, vitolas, errors, a test batch, or some other differentiating factor that are released to give the consumer a look at what is going on at the factory where Viaje Cigars are made. The WLP 50/50 Red, third in the WLP Series, was made available in only 200 bundles of 25. I managed to pick up a couple, traded for a couple, and even got bombed a couple.

Size: 6X48
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan Criollo
    Binder: Nicaragua
    Filler: Nicaragua
    Price: $10

The WLP 50/50 Red is a great looking cigar with a nice dark brown wrapper pig tailed at the cap and extending over the foot. There is just a hint of oil and a very slight toothiness to the wrapper. A few small veins can be seen. As I roll the cigar between my fingers it feels very firm and evenly packed. There is hardly any give when squeezed. The wrapper has the aroma of dark chocolate, wood, and earth. I punched the cigar carefully at the perfect triple cap. You would think lighting a cigar with a wrapper covering the foot would prove difficult but it lights the same as any other cigar.

The first few puffs bring pepper that fades away slowly. Each puff brings a generous amount of smoke and I find the draw to be perfect. Flavors of nuts, cream, and leather are present and the finish has a hint of spice at first. I find the retrohale to be very smooth and soon the finish has a creamy smooth quality as well. The cigar starts to pick up a hint of bitter sweetness and a nice cedar. Somewhere in the mix I get spices that I can't quite place. Some kind of baking spices used to cook with. The retrohale is now a very lively cedar with a pepper kick. Towards the end the wood flavor makes a distinct change from cedar to oak. Leather continues in the mix and it seems like a dark chocolate is trying to make an appearance but never really fully develops.

This cigar starts off in the medium range and builds in strength to the end. You can feel the fullness at the end but to me it was on the lower end of the full scale. The burn stayed even for the most part and I found myself having to make several touch ups. You can see at the foot that the wrapper is pretty thick and might be the underlying cause for the touch ups. The dark grey ash looked slightly flaky but held well and never fell off on its own.

The Viaje WLP 50/50 Red lived up to my high expectations of what a Viaje Cigar should be. I highly recommend this cigar if you can find them. Given it is a one time, limited production cigar, it is going to be hard to find. I know of a few B&M's that still have some available and you can always seek them out in trade or for sale on forums. If you can't find these anywhere you should try the Viaje 50/50 Red. The 50/50 Red is very similar but more of a solid medium where the WLP 50/50 Red has more strength. Many people who are familiar with the White Label Project claim these get much better over time if you can let them sit in your humidor. I have smoked five and now have five more resting. I plan on re-evaluating these in six months and then again in a year to see if what is good can get even better.

The best cigar is a cigar shared with a friend

• Options
    If you know anything about me, you know how much I like Viaje Cigars. I admit I have not smoked every blend yet but I am in the process of completing the task. So far I have enjoyed each Viaje blend I have smoked and the White Label Project 50/50 Red has kept the streak going. Viaje White Label Project (WLP) are experimental cigars with different blends, vitolas, errors, a test batch, or some other differentiating factor that are released to give the consumer a look at what is going on at the factory where Viaje Cigars are made. The WLP 50/50 Red, third in the WLP Series, was made available in only 200 bundles of 25. I managed to pick up a couple, traded for a couple, and even got bombed a couple.

Size: 6X48
    Binder: Nicaragua
    Price: $10

The WLP 50/50 Red is a great looking cigar with a nice dark brown wrapper pig tailed at the cap and extending over the foot. There is just a hint of oil and a very slight toothiness to the wrapper. A few small veins can be seen. As I roll the cigar between my fingers it feels very firm and evenly packed. There is hardly any give when squeezed. The wrapper has the aroma of dark chocolate, wood, and earth. I punched the cigar carefully at the perfect triple cap. You would think lighting a cigar with a wrapper covering the foot would prove difficult but it lights the same as any other cigar.

The first few puffs bring pepper that fades away slowly. Each puff brings a generous amount of smoke and I find the draw to be perfect. Flavors of nuts, cream, and leather are present and the finish has a hint of spice at first. I find the retrohale to be very smooth and soon the finish has a creamy smooth quality as well. The cigar starts to pick up a hint of bitter sweetness and a nice cedar. Somewhere in the mix I get spices that I can't quite place. Some kind of baking spices used to cook with. The retrohale is now a very lively cedar with a pepper kick. Towards the end the wood flavor makes a distinct change from cedar to oak. Leather continues in the mix and it seems like a dark chocolate is trying to make an appearance but never really fully develops.

This cigar starts off in the medium range and builds in strength to the end. You can feel the fullness at the end but to me it was on the lower end of the full scale. The burn stayed even for the most part and I found myself having to make several touch ups. You can see at the foot that the wrapper is pretty thick and might be the underlying cause for the touch ups. The dark grey ash looked slightly flaky but held well and never fell off on its own.

The Viaje WLP 50/50 Red lived up to my high expectations of what a Viaje Cigar should be. I highly recommend this cigar if you can find them. Given it is a one time, limited production cigar, it is going to be hard to find. I know of a few B&M's that still have some available and you can always seek them out in trade or for sale on forums. If you can't find these anywhere you should try the Viaje 50/50 Red. The 50/50 Red is very similar but more of a solid medium where the WLP 50/50 Red has more strength. Many people who are familiar with the White Label Project claim these get much better over time if you can let them sit in your humidor. I have smoked five and now have five more resting. I plan on re-evaluating these in six months and then again in a year to see if what is good can get even better.

• Options
    I posted a press release back in May from Team La Gloria regarding this cigar. Today we are going to take a quick look at what I like to call my fishing cigar. This cigar is from Team La Gloria coming out of the El Credito Cigar Factory in Santiago, Dominican Republic. Samples were provided by General Cigar Co.

Size: 5.5X38
    Wrapper: Ecuadoran Habano
    Binder: Connecticut Broadleaf
    Filler: Nicaraguan and Dominican
    Price: $2.50 each or $125 for a 50 count box

El Perrito simply means "little dog" and when you see this cigar you will see the name fits perfectly. These cigars are created entirely by hand and without a cigar mold. The look and feel can only be described as rough, rustic, lumpy, bumpy, crooked, and plain ugly. The torpedo shaped end is done by hand as well and is open so there is no need to cut or punch.

Given the small size the cigar lights easily. Aptly named the War of Flavors, this cigar has a few things fighting for your attention. Earthy, pepper, spice, coffee, cocoa, and sweetness all dance across your palate in this 30 minute smoke. I smoked five of these for this review over a couple months. The draw and burn were just fine. I didn't run into any construction issues. In all honesty because of what this cigar is and how it is made I didn't really judge the construction category. The only issue I did run into was some tar build up in two of the five samples.

As I mentioned before I call this my fishing cigar now. These are inexpensive, full of flavor, and easy to to carry without worrying about damaging their beauty. Most cigars I carry are protected with a hard case. These I just grab and throw them in the car or stick them in my shorts pocket without worry.

Surprisingly this little dog is full in flavor and strength. There are several things I like about these: the price is fantastic and you get more then you expect in the flavor department. This cigar won't win any beauty awards but if you want a good quick cigar check them out. I plan on keeping these on hand for my camping and fishing trips. If things get rough out there and I lose the cigar, or have to set it aside to fight a fish, that is fine by me. If I had a twenty dollar cigar in my mouth I might waste time debating on bringing my fish in or saving my expensive cigar. A great rough cigar for roughing it. If you see these grab a couple and give them a try. Do not judge them by their looks because you will miss out if you pass over these.

The best cigar is a cigar shared with a friend. Read More & See Some Pics......
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    Size: 5.5X52 Wrapper: Mexican San Andres Maduro
    Binder: Mexico
    Price: $9

Murcielago is Spanish for bat and comes from EO Brands. I first heard of this cigar well over a year ago when it was the talk amongst my cigar smoking friends. Of course all the talk made me want to try this cigar to experience it for myself. With so many cigars in my humidors that I have never tried I just didn't get to it right away. Last year I got a box and only 2 are left. I did share a few but I smoked most. With a year sitting in the humidor it is time to share my thoughts on this cigar.

Construction: The Murcielago is an overall fantastic looking cigar. The dark wrapper is very oily with a nice shimmer. The veins are so small the wrapper just feels smooth. Being a box pressed cigar I figured the tobacco would feel a little more loose. This is not the case with the Murcielago because it is one solid stick packed full of tobacco. No soft spots were detected and my squeeze test gave a very slight bounce back. The red, gold, and black wrapper features a great looking bat logo. I was surprised to find hardly any aroma off the wrapper or foot. The pre-light draw was sweet cocoa and left a slight sweetness on my lips.

Read More......
    I just read the review for this cigar on your blog, very informative, Thanks
  • Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    Subscribed to your RSS feed. Looks great!
  • Options
    Size: 6X60
    Binder: Dominican Republic Olor
    Filler: Nicaraguan Criollo, Dominican Republic
    Price: $7.99 to $12.99

This new offering from Gurkha was announced at this year's IPCPR show in Las Vegas, Nevada. Last year, Kaizad Hansotia, personally handed me this cigar and said he wanted me to try something special that not many people had tried or knew about. All he would tell me is it had tobaccos that were aged 15 years and it would be a future release. I figured it would come out late last year but never saw a release. I went home and put this with my mass collection of Gurkha Cigars. I actually have every Gurkha blend aside from the HMR, almost an entire 300 count humidor full. For this review I smoked a sample that has had over 1 year of humidor rest courtesy of Mr. Hansotia. I have no idea if this blend remained the same but I sure hope it is and let me tell you why......

The first thing that sets this Gurkha apart from most of their offerings is the cigar band and packaging. Following the latest trend of marketing cigars like wine, the marketing of these is spot on in my opinion. The boxes are made to look like aging wine barrels while the band reminds me of an expensive and elegant wine bottle label. It has a lot going on yet it remain simplistic to a degree without all the normal Gurkha flash. The oily wrapper is a nice medium brown with an orange tint and a few small veins. Rolling the cigar around between my fingers I can feel it is evenly rolled and full of tobacco with no looseness or soft spots. The foot looks great and the cap is done perfectly. It is really a nice looking cigar and judging by appearance alone it is a high quality cigar. When I first removed the cigar from the cellophane the aroma was rich and noticeable in the air. It faded after a short while but the overall aroma reminded me of a wine cellar - a light mustiness that was pleasing with a distinct oak.

I have heard some information that the final product has a small twist or pig tail cap. Not sure how reliable the information is but this cigar did not have that so I used a punch. The cigar lit quickly and immediately produced a very pleasing aroma. The draw was tight for about the first half inch to one inch and then it opened up so it was just right.

Right from the start I am hit with full flavors and just a little spice. A really nice oak wood flavor seems to be dominate throughout the entire cigar which I really enjoyed. There were moments where there was a smokey flavor that you would experience when drinking a good single malt scotch. It was almost like having a a fine dining experience with expensive liquors. There was an occasional sweetness and many other flavors that seemed to all mingle and keep me guessing. I tried to dissect all of the flavors but this is one complex cigar. It probably didn't help that I was smoking outside in 100 degree temperatures. I really got lost in relaxing and enjoying this cigar.

The burn was perfect and no touch ups were required. The ash was white and held well. Aside from the slightly tight draw at the start, I had no other issues with this cigar. It was a pleasure to smoke. Full flavors are present throughout the cigar but the strength is a solid medium that hits the full mark at the end. I did not experience any harshness or hot burn at the nub.

I have to be honest with you all and say that I have been a huge fan of Gurkha Cigars for a long time. As the seasons change so does my cigar obsession though and Gurkha has not been my current obsession for some time. Going into this review I had a very open mind and unknown expectations. From the first puff to the last I was very impressed. Here is a complex Gurkha Cigar at a reasonable price and I would go as far to say is their best cigar I have ever smoked. I have smoked almost every Gurkha ever made and this is by far the best one I have ever had.

If you spend anytime in cigar forums or social media you know as well as I do Gurkha is a brand that people seem to love or hate to one extreme or the next. Lets just be honest about that. I think some of it has to do with the luxury lifestyle they have promoted with the high MSRP and the extreme packaging. No matter which side of this debate you are on, for whatever reason, I highly recommend you smoke this cigar at least once. This is the cigar to smoke to give Gurkha that second chance if you have walked away from them.

Gurkha seems to be taking a different strategy with their newest release which started last year with Ninja and Viper. Less focus on fancy packaging and more focus on quality made and affordable cigars. They have also said they are taking a stance to be more supportive of their brick and mortar stores which I think is a great move.

Gurkha Cellar Reserve XO started off full of flavor and was full of flavor to the end. The beginning was medium in strength and worked it's way to full with about a third left. The fullness at the end hit me a little hard and was probably enhanced by the extreme temperature I was smoking in. I really wanted to be more specific on the complexities of flavor but I got lost in this cigar which is a wonderful quality to me. My focus became the relaxed enjoyment and I just went with it. With so many new releases hitting the shelves now, I have another contender to decide what to spend my money on. In my opinion these are box worthy and I plan on getting a box as soon as I see them on the shelf. I think Gurkha is headed in a good direction and will be winning some new fans.

http://cigarcatadore.blogspot.com/2011/08/gurkha-cellar-reserve-xo.html
  • Options

This new offering from Gurkha was announced at this year's IPCPR show in Las Vegas, Nevada. Last year, Kaizad Hansotia, personally handed me this cigar and said he wanted me to try something special that not many people had tried or knew about. All he would tell me is it had tobaccos that were aged 15 years and it would be a future release. I figured it would come out late last year but never saw a release. I went home and put this with my mass collection of Gurkha Cigars. I actually have every Gurkha blend aside from the HMR, almost an entire 300 count humidor full. For this review I smoked a sample that has had over 1 year of humidor rest courtesy of Mr. Hansotia. I have no idea if this blend remained the same but I sure hope it is and let me tell you why......

The first thing that sets this Gurkha apart from most of their offerings is the cigar band and packaging. Following the latest trend of marketing cigars like wine, the marketing of these is spot on in my opinion. The boxes are made to look like aging wine barrels while the band reminds me of an expensive and elegant wine bottle label. It has a lot going on yet it remain simplistic to a degree without all the normal Gurkha flash. The oily wrapper is a nice medium brown with an orange tint and a few small veins. Rolling the cigar around between my fingers I can feel it is evenly rolled and full of tobacco with no looseness or soft spots. The foot looks great and the cap is done perfectly. It is really a nice looking cigar and judging by appearance alone it is a high quality cigar. When I first removed the cigar from the cellophane the aroma was rich and noticeable in the air. It faded after a short while but the overall aroma reminded me of a wine cellar - a light mustiness that was pleasing with a distinct oak.

I have heard some information that the final product has a small twist or pig tail cap. Not sure how reliable the information is but this cigar did not have that so I used a punch. The cigar lit quickly and immediately produced a very pleasing aroma. The draw was tight for about the first half inch to one inch and then it opened up so it was just right.

Right from the start I am hit with full flavors and just a little spice. A really nice oak wood flavor seems to be dominate throughout the entire cigar which I really enjoyed. There were moments where there was a smokey flavor that you would experience when drinking a good single malt scotch. It was almost like having a a fine dining experience with expensive liquors. There was an occasional sweetness and many other flavors that seemed to all mingle and keep me guessing. I tried to dissect all of the flavors but this is one complex cigar. It probably didn't help that I was smoking outside in 100 degree temperatures. I really got lost in relaxing and enjoying this cigar.

The burn was perfect and no touch ups were required. The ash was white and held well. Aside from the slightly tight draw at the start, I had no other issues with this cigar. It was a pleasure to smoke. Full flavors are present throughout the cigar but the strength is a solid medium that hits the full mark at the end. I did not experience any harshness or hot burn at the nub.

I have to be honest with you all and say that I have been a huge fan of Gurkha Cigars for a long time. As the seasons change so does my cigar obsession though and Gurkha has not been my current obsession for some time. Going into this review I had a very open mind and unknown expectations. From the first puff to the last I was very impressed. Here is a complex Gurkha Cigar at a reasonable price and I would go as far to say is their best cigar I have ever smoked. I have smoked almost every Gurkha ever made and this is by far the best one I have ever had.

If you spend anytime in cigar forums or social media you know as well as I do Gurkha is a brand that people seem to love or hate to one extreme or the next. Lets just be honest about that. I think some of it has to do with the luxury lifestyle they have promoted with the high MSRP and the extreme packaging. No matter which side of this debate you are on, for whatever reason, I highly recommend you smoke this cigar at least once. This is the cigar to smoke to give Gurkha that second chance if you have walked away from them.

Gurkha seems to be taking a different strategy with their newest release which started last year with Ninja and Viper. Less focus on fancy packaging and more focus on quality made and affordable cigars. They have also said they are taking a stance to be more supportive of their brick and mortar stores which I think is a great move.

Gurkha Cellar Reserve XO started off full of flavor and was full of flavor to the end. The beginning was medium in strength and worked it's way to full with about a third left. The fullness at the end hit me a little hard and was probably enhanced by the extreme temperature I was smoking in. I really wanted to be more specific on the complexities of flavor but I got lost in this cigar which is a wonderful quality to me. My focus became the relaxed enjoyment and I just went with it. With so many new releases hitting the shelves now, I have another contender to decide what to spend my money on. In my opinion these are box worthy and I plan on getting a box as soon as I see them on the shelf. I think Gurkha is headed in a good direction and will be winning some new fans.

• Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    jsnake:

Thanks for the review, I enjoy Gurkhas and will have to give this one a go.
  • Options
    Size: 5X54 Perfecto
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra
    Binder: Piloto Cubano
    Filler: PilotoCubano, Bahia, Nicaraguan
    Price: $18.50

I travel for work and spend almost every other night in a hotel. For those who do not know I am a railroad conductor. It rained all day today and when I first checked into my hotel it was hot outside and the humidity was sky high. As the evening arrived the temperatures cooled down and the humidity diminished so it was time to sit out front and enjoy a good cigar. Tonight I decided it was time to smoke the La Aurora Preferidos 1903 Edition Emerald. There are five blends in this series and the cigars are a wonderful perfecto shape like the original cigars made in the La Aurora Factory in 1903.

The La Aurora Preferidos Emerald comes in a nice metal tube. The wrapper is a medium tan shade with a hint of oil and an overall rustic look. Several veins and bumps cover the wrapper, and though I did not capture it with my camera, it had a hint of plume. The classic perfecto shape is tapered at both ends with the foot open. The cap is well done and the cigar is packed solidly full of tobacco. There was no give when I squeezed the cigar and no soft spots. The aroma off the wrapper and foot was sweet tobacco with a hint of wood and spice. The prelight draw was cinnamon, leather, and spice. My XIKAR Xi3 cut the cap perfectly smooth.

The tapered foot lights easily and starts producing sweet smelling tobacco aromas right away. The first few puffs had a slightly tight draw but it opened up right away. The smoke was very smooth and creamy and had a medium start and finish. Wood flavor dominated most of the cigar with an underlying sweetness. In the mix I experienced a dry cocoa, coffee, leather, and an occasional hint of something floral. About half way in I got a good amount of spice and the retrohale had a nice mild spice to it. Towards the end of the cigar I experienced some pepper. There was some good complexity to this cigar.

The burn stayed even and when it seemed like it was going to stray it corrected itself. A nice tight white ash with hints of gray hung on to the nub. I have smoked several cigars in this vitola and it is the one I prefer. Everything about it is pleasing to my smoking enjoyment. This is a wonderfully constructed cigar with great flavors and is a very satisfying cigar. When I started this cigar the sky had a few clouds and I was enjoying the cooler temperatures. Off in the distance I could see some really amazing lightning and eventually heard some rumbles of thunder. It seemed that as I was smoking I was drawing in the storms. By the time I was finished a downpour of rain started and the lightning was wicked looking and very close. I got to enjoy my cigar though and timed it just right. Feeling very satisfied as I go to my room to watch some NFL preseason.

The only issue I have with the cigar is the price. I tend to hover around $10 to $12 and above that a cigar brand tends to lose me. Did I like this cigar? Absolutely! I definitely want to try more and after smoking this one I want to go buy the other blends and try them. Since the price is a little high in my opinion I will probably go for the sampler that lets you try all five. Just like our preferences in cigars, pricing is subjective as well. I will pick up the sampler and on occasion maybe pick up a few of these. The flavors were great, the construction close to perfection, and I was left satisfied having enjoyed a wonderful medium cigar. If you feel like picking up a good cigar for a special occasion or just want to treat yourself give this a try. When comparing cigars in this price range I would pick this over any of the others.

The best cigar is a cigar shared with a friend.