Home General Discussion
Options

Things seem to be really dormant around here.

j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
I wonder if maybe it is just the fact that there are not enough active members to support a forum, or if perhaps there is just not enough new a fresh discussion going on for this place to thrive.

Your thoughts?

Joe

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    no... ive just been working.

in all reality this is a VERY small forum. Its new. There are other forums out there that are huge. ... and to be quite honest, they arent as full of info, and the percentage of good people is lower. here we are a group of friends. we arent out for anything but learning about cigars and what others think about cigars. we all read every post. we have actual discussions. we learn.

I was at another forum a few minutes ago (2:48 AM. ) and there were 79 people viewing the general discussion section alone. AT ALMOST 3 AM!! I find the info at that forum very dilutted. there are questions and there are answers, but they arent in depth. within 10 minutes there are 15 posts in every thread. this makes it difficult to read and deal with and take in. (at least for me)

I am finding that i like the cigar.com forum more and more. It may even be edging out the Eotac forum as my favorite. why? its about cigars,and only cigars. There are good people in here. we talk. we learn. we discuss. we dont feel like no one is reading our posts. even the person with one post is being heard. I like it that way. Its like a small town. i like small towns. More are welcome to come in, i just hope it retains its friendly atmosphere.
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    Ditto what Kuzi said.

I feel the same way. With a lot of people it is harder to navigate, and more problems seem to develop. Here, it is almost like goin to your local shop, sittin down and sharing a stick with some friends.
  • Options
    ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    I also like what we have going on here. I've logged on to a couple other forums (which are huge) and it takes forever to get through all the posts and with some of the BS that goes on it's just not worth it.
    One thing to consider, with the weather getting nicer, more people might be enjoying getting outside and playing.
  • Options
    MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    I like it here, yeah this isn't the biggest and badest, but the people are great and good info. I check in every day and enjoy it...
  • Options
    6clicks6clicks Posts: 34

I know I'm reading as much as I can and learning a lot as I go. This hobby is really complex and thought provoking. I knew that some people were really into cigars, but I  didn't think it was as huge as it is. I've come a long way in the last few months and I'm having a great time.

George

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Nice responses guys. I do agree with much, if not all, of what has been said, as I too prefer a smaller more tightly knit community as opposed to some larger forums I've been to where you have a few people that everyone listens to and the rest of them are just background noise.

Like I've said before, I'm a curious person, always asking questions....so, that's about it.

Joe
  • Options
    pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
    Don't worry I'm back:> Been flying the last few days with no chance to check in. Always glad to have a chance to sit down and see what's been going on. I also find this forum the best for info and being able to keep up with everything. It's perfect for the busy who don't have time to be on every day.
  • Options
    LarryDLarryD Posts: 59
    I agree with everyone. This forum has a nice feel to it. I think we have a cozy, honest, REAL forum. This is what forums are all about.
  • Options
    bass8844bass8844 Posts: 416
    I'm still new to this forum, but I feel very welcome here. I also view a couple of other sites, and the members there are usually quick to leave some sort of witty remark trying to get a cheap laugh rather than help out a fellow smoker.
  • Options
    Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    no... ive just been working.

in all reality this is a VERY small forum. Its new. There are other forums out there that are huge. ... and to be quite honest, they arent as full of info, and the percentage of good people is lower. here we are a group of friends. we arent out for anything but learning about cigars and what others think about cigars. we all read every post. we have actual discussions. we learn.

I was at another forum a few minutes ago (2:48 AM. ) and there were 79 people viewing the general discussion section alone. AT ALMOST 3 AM!! I find the info at that forum very dilutted. there are questions and there are answers, but they arent in depth. within 10 minutes there are 15 posts in every thread. this makes it difficult to read and deal with and take in. (at least for me)

I am finding that i like the cigar.com forum more and more. It may even be edging out the Eotac forum as my favorite. why? its about cigars,and only cigars. There are good people in here. we talk. we learn. we discuss. we dont feel like no one is reading our posts. even the person with one post is being heard. I like it that way. Its like a small town. i like small towns. More are welcome to come in, i just hope it retains its friendly atmosphere.
    Kuzi, you nailed it on the head. And real life has had me by the short and curlies lately, but hopefully will release its grip a tad. In fact, tonight I think I shall drink, read and smoke...and nothing else. :D

Hopefully i can pop in here a bit more regularly too. I really do like the group we have ;)
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406
    I'm just starting out too and have this site to be very helpful. Hopefully, I will be able to contribute more with some time.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    sdip:
    I'm just starting out too and have this site to be very helpful. Hopefully, I will be able to contribute more with some time.
    im glad we could help. I remember when i was startign out and first started posting on forums. i knew nothing.

...so nothing has changed. I still know nothing. but i like to help out where i can. its like giving back to a community that i have taken so much from
  • Options
    jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Posts: 282
    Unlike some other sites that I have stopped visiting, this forum is drama-free and full of mature, knowledgeable people.
  • Options
    btmislesbtmisles Posts: 125
    I agree with all. The information here has been incredible and I really feel like the group of people here are welcoming and willing to give there time and advice.
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I wonder if maybe it is just the fact that there are not enough active members to support a forum, or if perhaps there is just not enough new a fresh discussion going on for this place to thrive.

Your thoughts?

Joe

I wonder what some think now. Theres more people here and a lot of feedback on questions and suggestions. A lot of buzz in the forum from before. Good or bad Do you guys think it's moving in the right direction since then? I truly hope so, because everyday I'm either learning something from our forum members. Or having some fun in here. Once again, just me searching through the forum old threads....

And where are some of these origanal BOTL's at these days?

• Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Sorry boys, been laid up with a back episode for a week and a half now. I'll start making more noise, promise. :-)

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too have noticed something of a lull, but it won't last long, folks get busy. Kuzi is, as usual, insightful in his perspective of this place, well said sir! Someone will come up with something everyone will get excited about soon, always happens. Meanwhile, I appreciate the nature of our group. Happy to be here. Thanks guys.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Lately I haven't been enjoying cigars, at all. Ever since that herf in Temecula my ability to taste them has diminished, and it's really killed my enthusiasm for all things cigar related. The forum included. The wife says it's a very high pollen count this year, but I dunno. I hope that's all it is.
  • Options
    The Sniper:
    Sorry boys, been laid up with a back episode for a week and a half now. I'll start making more noise, promise. :-)

Lol, glad your back Mr. Glen.
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    I was wondering if it was a little dormant or if I had just been spending too much time here since I've been off work the past 3 weeks. Like most others I do check out other forums, but definitely prefer the quality to quantity ratio here.
  • Options
    Has anyone looked at the orignal date of this by Joe? Lol, I was really wanting to know what those guys think of the forum now. As oppose to 2008 when this was started. Their opinion on the growth of the forum and it's direction it's going....

• Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think so at all. Because of this forum, I'm able to learn a ton not only about cigars but equally important and great, the brotherhood. You guys bring a new definition to bromance. Also crapped out two bricks outta my butt w/in the last two credit card statements. Oh well. You guys have been really great. Jiunn
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    RCY Cigars:
    Has anyone looked at the orignal date of this by Joe? Lol, I was really wanting to know what those guys think of the forum now. As oppose to 2008 when this was started. Their opinion on the growth of the forum and it's direction it's going....

HAHAHA, was wondering the same thing Rick. Nice Necro post man . . . I'm curious to what those guys think as well.
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    LOL, I didnt look at the dates and thought, wow, what does this guy want us to do, start using real ammo!!!
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    jliu:
    I don't think so at all. Because of this forum, I'm able to learn a ton not only about cigars but equally important and great, the brotherhood. You guys bring a new definition to bromance. Also crapped out two bricks outta my butt w/in the last two credit card statements. Oh well. You guys have been really great. Jiunn
    sob... I'm an idiot haha. So much for my previous auditing experience. what experience?
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Fishing is getting in the way of posting.
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    This forum hasn't changed since I've been here...ccom needs to update it, freshen it up, new look, add features like chat etc...its gotten archaic, you have to post html code still??? lol
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RBeckom:
    Fishing is getting in the way of posting.

Man, I hear that!! Won't be long and my son and I will be spending considerably more time on the river fishing for stripers and burning stogies. 'Course, I could still squeeze in a post or two with my iPhone but, sure as h3ll, that'd be when I'd get a strike and miss it. Ah, well, nobody said life was fair.... or easy.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RCY Cigars:

Ha! Got me! Maybe it's cyclical, just that time of year?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    doh, I didn't realize it was an old thread either.