Home General Discussion
Options

Things seem to be really dormant around here.

2»

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    RCY Cigars:
    j0z3r:
    I wonder if maybe it is just the fact that there are not enough active members to support a forum, or if perhaps there is just not enough new a fresh discussion going on for this place to thrive.

Your thoughts?

Joe

I wonder what some think now. Theres more people here and a lot of feedback on questions and suggestions. A lot of buzz in the forum from before. Good or bad Do you guys think it's moving in the right direction since then? I truly hope so, because everyday I'm either learning something from our forum members. Or having some fun in here. Once again, just me searching through the forum old threads....

And where are some of these origanal BOTL's at these days?

Hey Rick, I didn't know you were a necromancer. You did a helluva lot of digging to bring this one back from the dead. Big Smile [:D]
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Diamondog:
    This forum hasn't changed since I've been here...ccom needs to update it, freshen it up, new look, add features like chat etc...its gotten archaic, you have to post html code still??? lol
    I concur +1. We should start a petition!
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    I consider myself a new member and I am also a member of CA forum. I can't compare CCom with other forums. In real life, I am very private and hang around with few people - mostly cigar and tea buddies. For professional reason, I interact with many people from different background. As a result, after work I really enjoy quality time with few friends and family. my profession also doesn't allow me to be close with many people. CCom serves my purpose of quietness with some true cigar lovers. This is why I enjoy this little forum and spend significant amount of my free time here. latley, I have been receiving a lot of PMs and I really enjoy knowing people not only about cigar but also other stuff. I am simply enjoying mymtime with our little group of cigar buddies here.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    wow... nice necropost.
    i feel that the original sentiment that posted in this thread waaaayyy back in 08 still holds true to a degree.

i feel we are all still friends.
    I feel that we still accept new guys.

the things that are different than back then are not as bad as other forums. i still read almost every thread but i do not post on every thread like i used to. there are many people here that give quality info. i dont feel the need to jump in anymore. this forum still has the bast info out there in my opinion. there are a few that come close but this one gets intense.
    the forum has become huge. there are way more threads to deal with on a daily basis.
    i dont think that has hurt this forum yet.

as far as updating the site itself, i would be all for it if we could retain the HUGE amount of info collected here over the years. if we can save that, do it. if not, dont change a thing until we find a way to save it. i cant tell you how many times that i have searched this forum just to find something that i know we talked about years ago. its a tool that i dont want to see lost.

i know HTML pisses many people off (especially those that use their phones to view) but i do feel that in a way it keeps the riff raff out. yes it kinda sucks, but its not the end of the world and i like the people and the forum host enough to overlook that minor inconvenience.
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    For Joe and Kuzi, thanks for your tidbits there. Yes Joe, every now and then I dig a little. That's just me trying to find answers to my own personal questions. Most of the time I find what I want and sometimes I stumble onto threads that get my interest. For example this one. Wiith the little time I've been here. The forum has grown tremendously. And I was just wondering what some of you origanals thought of all that has happen to what you guys have started.

Kuzi my friend, thank you for responded. I remember when I first got here. I seen your name every where, lol. The good thing about that for me. It was in the ratings and reviews section mostly. I remember PMing you and asking all kinds of silly questions. I know you probably scratched your head and said to yourself. Noob, lol, but seriously you helped me grow a lot in this hobby. One thing I got from you was to study your hobby. Between all my fun bombing and doing trades. Those that know me, know I read alot.

Well guys I have to say thanks for all the info you have given me through PM's in the beginning, bombings you bestowed upon me and the info you've put out in the forum. And I hope that our forum will continue to thrive.

For the rest of the BOTL's here. Thanks for making this place awesome.

• Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    That's the best part of this place. The vast majority of forums out there, for whatever hobby, are made up of die hard enthusiasts who, for the most part, are not welcoming to newbies.

One of my pet peeves is when someone pops a quick question and gets flamed for not searching first, especially when it would have been easier to answer the question. I don't think I've seen that here. I think people mainly respond to the question then suggest searching to find more answers which is great.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Well Rick, as much as things have changed since I joined back in March '08, I think the most important thing has remained and that's the sense of community and brotherhood. There are a lot of forums out there, heck there are a lot of cigar forums out there, but the difference between this one and many other ones is that I'd not hesitate to sit down and have a cigar, face to face, with 99% of the people who post here...I don't think I could say that about many other forums, though to be fair I've talked to some great guys on a handful of other cigar forums.

For being a "small" forum, we're way more active than several other, bigger forums I've checked out, just goes to show how out of date this thread is. Wink [;)]
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    bbass2:
    One of my pet peeves is when someone pops a quick question and gets flamed for not searching first, especially when it would have been easier to answer the question. I don't think I've seen that here. I think people mainly respond to the question then suggest searching to find more answers which is great.
    ha ha
    im totally guilty of that.

and i will be again.
    i could understand if forums were a "new thing" and nobody has ever posted on the internet before, but there are tons of forums out there and all of them have a search function, even this primitive HTML based one.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    bbass2:
    ha ha
    im totally guilty of that.

and i will be again.
    i could understand if forums were a "new thing" and nobody has ever posted on the internet before, but there are tons of forums out there and all of them have a search function, even this primitive HTML based one.
    To an extent, I agree here. However, I'd like to say that this was my first and only forum. I read a poker forum called 2+2 for a VERY short time (soooo much hate there), but never posted. I had no reason to post to forum before, I doubt I will again, and if I do it will pale in comparison to this one. My point is, forum etiquette is less common knowledge than you believe, I think. Also, the interface here is very busy, confusing, and somewhat intimidating so though we are all very used to it, it's not necessarily obvious how to search.

Of course these posts are somewhat of an annoyance and necroposts are fun, so something must be done. If we could just delete posts....I don't think the solution will come from tech support though. I think maybe a private message, along with a reply to the post explaining in brief what a private message is and how to view it....that might be a more affable way to handle them.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I'd not hesitate to sit down and have a cigar, face to face, with 99% of the people who post here...
    Hey Joe, sorry my face isn't any better..............still appreciate the time you spend with me though, even if you do mark it as "charity work"....................
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    as far as updating the site itself, i would be all for it if we could retain the HUGE amount of info collected here over the years. if we can save that, do it. if not, dont change a thing until we find a way to save it. i cant tell you how many times that i have searched this forum just to find something that i know we talked about years ago. its a tool that i dont want to see lost.

i know HTML pisses many people off (especially those that use their phones to view) but i do feel that in a way it keeps the riff raff out. yes it kinda sucks, but its not the end of the world and i like the people and the forum host enough to overlook that minor inconvenience.
    Excellent points.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    bandyt09:
    j0z3r:
    I'd not hesitate to sit down and have a cigar, face to face, with 99% of the people who post here...
    Hey Joe, sorry my face isn't any better..............still appreciate the time you spend with me though, even if you do mark it as "charity work"....................
    -hey, while I dont post a lot, I have read a high % of the posts...trying to balance my time...but having just returned from my 2nd CigarFest, I thought it appropriate to comment, echo some of the thoughts, etc....anyway, it seems that no matter if you have 5000 or 5 posts you are a valued person with ideas, thoughts and opinions and this community welcomes all. @ CF again this year, I had the pleasure of hanging with so many from here, some of which I recognized, some not ..but that doesn't matter, egos were not anywhere, just great people chatting, being generous, and chatting like lifelong best friends....that is the most unbelievable part of cigar smokers, or maybe it is just the kind of botls that hang out here...everyone commented the same ideas, feelings that 'this guy is amazing' or that guy 'did this when i visited' ..just endless connections re-inforcing the same concepts...an amazing group of guys that interact from around the world, and when they meet can share so much and do whatever they can to help their new friend...thanks a lot