Home General Discussion
Options

Do you Retrohale??

One of the mysteries of cigar smoking, this is the key to flavor and really tasting a cigar fully. It has changed my opinion of so many cigars over the years. I find most dont or havent tried it before. To me it is the only way to discover the difference between flavor and strength. For those that havent there are youtube videos how and plenty of forum postings. So do you or why dont you??

Comments

• Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I do.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Yes retrohaling is key to my smoking routine....

• Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I do a little, just to get the full taste of the cigar.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    It burns like hell and not matter what strength the cigar is, I don't seem to pick up anything thru retrohaling.
  • Options
    t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    Just a few times per cigar to get a little better idea of the nuances.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    It burns like hell and not matter what strength the cigar is, I don't seem to pick up anything thru retrohaling.
    might be blowing too much smoke out your nose, it doesn't take much to pick up the flavors. I blow 90% of the smoke out my mouth and 10% through the nose (over the course of the cigar)

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i retrohale every cigar.
  • Options
    mbetotmbetot Posts: 10
    Yes, but only a few times through the course of the cigar. Probably in thirds.
  • Options
    doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    I retrohale on every cigar, at least every three puffs. I'll also fully exhale through my nose now and again, not for flavor but just out of habit. It feels good on my sinuses and generally lets me feel the body a bit more.
  • Options
    TGOTGO Posts: 340 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    i retrohale every cigar.
    +1... I am not sure I would be able to stop it is instinctual and key to fully appreciating the cigar IMHO
  • Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to agree, it is a habit after a while, I don't even think about it.
  • Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    I do. When I was a total novice (as opposed to the experience novice i am now) I only smoked a few cigars a year. I only smoked them through my mouth. Retrohaling brings out so many more dimensions in the sticks it is incredible. To each there own, of course, but those who won't even try it are missing a lot, imo.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't in the past but I have for about the last year.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I retrohale on almost every draw. If you are getting nothing but a big burn, then you are expelling too much smoke through your nose. I would say that maybe 3/4s should be expelled through your mouth and only 1/4 through your nose. Just enough to get the smoke through your nose.
  • Options
    ellinasellinas Posts: 329
    just about everytime, i'm not in the habit of doing it yet.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Always
  • Options
    not yet. I'm a newb and i usually screw it up and it burns or makes me cough so it ruins the experience. I enjoy cigars plenty without.
  • Options
    Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    Poker Slob:
    I have to agree, it is a habit after a while, I don't even think about it.
    I agree with this as well. For me it didnt burn my nose as bad as it does most, I think its from my years of cigarette smoking. Its the only good thing that came from that.
  • Options
    ug danug dan Posts: 375
    Sure do. Brings out flavors that might be missed otherwise.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    bigjohn125:
    not yet. I'm a newb and i usually screw it up and it burns or makes me cough so it ruins the experience. I enjoy cigars plenty without.
    Blow the majority of the smoke out of your mouth first, upwards of 90%. Then take your tongue and touch the roof of your mouth and exhale half of the remaining smoke out slowly. If you do it slowly, it shouldn't burn your sinuses.

To answer the OP, I do on every cigar. Usually about every 5 puffs I'll retrohale, and it's now a habit for me.
  • Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    I do. I'm a noob but for some reason I am able to retrohale easily.
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    GarheadGarhead Posts: 41
    Krieg:
    xmacro:
    might be blowing too much smoke out your nose, it doesn't take much to pick up the flavors. I blow 90% of the smoke out my mouth and 10% through the nose (over the course of the cigar)
    +1. Even a little less for me. Just a little bit, smell and taste go hand in hand, but you only have to "smell" just a little bit to get the taste. Imagine a nice cut of steak, grilled, and you take that first bite. You can imagine the taste and you're probably salivating imagining it right now lol! We don't inhale our foods, we eat them. The "odors" from the food linger up into our pharynx and into our smell olfactory cells, which is minute. Smell has a little bit to do with it, but most of it come from the tastebuds or "papille" on your tongue. So yes, all in all, a little bit of retrohale helps, but if you're blowing smoke like crazy through you nose as well, you're actually inhibiting the experience. Just a little bit is all you need (no, I didn't look this up, lots of courses in college on anatomy.....if you're wondering if I'm just "blowing smoke"....ha).
  • Options
    bluezulubluezulu Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    My palete is not good enough to taste and get the nuances of the cigar any other way. Lol I actually saw a vid on youtube on it and gosh-darn-it it worked. Cigars are just like wine and beers they are all so different.
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    I retrohale every 4th or 5th puff. I also "swish" the smoke around in my mouth..... if that makes any sense.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I retrohale about every 3rd to 4th puff, it took a while to learn, but it really opens up the flavor of the cigar.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    this is exactly how I'm affected, if I take the smoke in my mouth and blow it out my nose, no matter how I try. I do, however, use my nose, by expelling smoke from the mouth and lifting the flavors out with my nose, without inhaling.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    xmacro:
    this is exactly how I'm affected, if I take the smoke in my mouth and blow it out my nose, no matter how I try. I do, however, use my nose, by expelling smoke from the mouth and lifting the flavors out with my nose, without inhaling.
    How much age do your cigars have? I've noticed this is yet another benefit of putting cigars to rest, the retro-hale is much smoother.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    Amos Umwhat:
    xmacro:
    How much age do your cigars have? I've noticed this is yet another benefit of putting cigars to rest, the retro-hale is much smoother.
    as cigars age they loose power. first to go is almost always the spice.
  • Options
    shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
    Garen B:
    bigjohn125:
    Blow the majority of the smoke out of your mouth first, upwards of 90%. Then take your tongue and touch the roof of your mouth and exhale half of the remaining smoke out slowly. If you do it slowly, it shouldn't burn your sinuses.

To answer the OP, I do on every cigar. Usually about every 5 puffs I'll retrohale, and it's now a habit for me.

Every time I tried it would burn my sinuses but I should really learn to do this as well. I'll try out this tip
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    I do and I tend to blow more smoke out my nose then most people. I find that because I have had sinus surgery it helps me with getting more of the nuances. I have a hard time smelling things unless it is very strong due to my allergies and again the sinus surgery.