Home General Discussion

Post Cigar Pics

Comments

• camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Yesterday I posted some un-flattering pics of Cuban cigars. I later photographed the same cigars in different lighting to show that they really weren't as ugly as the first photo showed them to be. One of the questions asked was "would dominican or cigars from other areas have the same "look" if taken in the wrong light? Well, the lighting conditions were the same this morning, so here are the results:

With flash photo:

And with the sunlight used to enhance contrast and shadow.......

I used a variety of sticks, Gurkha, Rocky Patel, Greycliff, JR, Mr. B ... They all have quite a transformation depending on lighting, which is the ONLY difference between the 2 pics. Other than re-sizing the images to fit this forum, there is no editing whatsoever of the images. They are exactly as the camera saw them.

• lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    camgfs:
    Yesterday I posted some un-flattering pics of Cuban cigars. I later photographed the same cigars in different lighting to show that they really weren't as ugly as the first photo showed them to be. One of the questions asked was "would dominican or cigars from other areas have the same "look" if taken in the wrong light? Well, the lighting conditions were the same this morning, so here are the results:

With flash photo:

And with the sunlight used to enhance contrast and shadow.......

I used a variety of sticks, Gurkha, Rocky Patel, Greycliff, JR, Mr. B ... They all have quite a transformation depending on lighting, which is the ONLY difference between the 2 pics. Other than re-sizing the images to fit this forum, there is no editing whatsoever of the images. They are exactly as the camera saw them.

What cam are you using Cam? I love the pictures.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cam, thank you very much for sharing these with us, it is truly quite the vivid photography and every time I see it it gives me goosebumpbs... very very interesting and impressive... THANK YOU!! Brilliant shots and theories that I had never considered!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    lcpleel:

What cam are you using Cam? I love the pictures.

I have a Sony Alpha 200 DSLR. It's about 2 years old maybe?
    I used to take a lot of photos with a 32mm camera that had no 'automatic' features. I loved how my perception of everything could be changed simply by making a small change to the camera settings.

I guess I have to play with my settings. my only problem is I get home when its dark and the lighting at home isnt the best.
    lcpleel:
    I guess I have to play with my settings. my only problem is I get home when its dark and the lighting at home isnt the best.
    And that is the normal thing for photography. Lights are expensive, and the average person thinks of capturing an image with the flash of the camera as the light source. You can get quite creative when you shut that bulb off, as long as there is enough other light or you have a tripod and some patience. Besides making good cigars look like $hit, I'm sure there are other uses for light angles, lol.

• wow!! cant believe the difference....identical to the CC's for sure. Thanks for doing this Cam...you answered my question, awesome outcome for sure.
  • brettdub33brettdub33 Posts: 56
    Photobucket
    That is a nice looking stick. I've tried a couple CAO over the years, but never liked them. Some day I may try them again to see if my pallete has changed.

Did that stick have some age on it?

• ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Man you hadn't posted any in awhile but when you do BAM! Nice shots!
    ENFIDL:
    Man you hadn't posted any in awhile but when you do BAM! Nice shots!
    With so many nice photos from you guys I had no choice but to stop. lol im trying to figure out my camera with lighting like cams.
    Iphone4s w/ instagram.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    More killer shots! I need to go change my pants....
    Got enough there to make a cigar callendar! Great shots.

Thanks for the compliments gents. coming from you guys it means alot. I want to start taking better pictures of cigars and hopefully start a picture journal or something but who knows. I need to work on lighting more.
    lcpleel:
    Thanks for the compliments gents. coming from you guys it means alot. I want to start taking better pictures of cigars and hopefully start a picture journal or something but who knows. I need to work on lighting more.
    There are some photo/camera shops around here that offer 1 day courses on photography. Maybe there is something like that near you? They cover a little history, then some time on camera settings and a large part on lighting. They discuss natural light vs artificial lighting of differrent kinds and what might work best with your camera. One of the biggest things is having the ability to manually set the apeture and shutter speeds. Even minor changes can have some affect on the picture's texture and depth of field.
    Might be worth checking out, and you really do cover a lot of material in just one day. They might also give some pointers on how to set up certain shots, outdoor vs indoor shots and such.

I took one a while back just because the digital cameras are so different from my 32mm setup and it helped me.

• roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Nice dude!
    One God, One Truth