Home General Discussion
Options

Cigar Apps for Iphone

KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
Found this during my travels on the internets...thought it could be useful to fellow iPhoners...

Top Cigar Apps for Iphone & Ipad

"Long ashes my friends."

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Krieg, never thought about it but this is pretty cool.
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    That's pretty interesting.  Just out of curiosity what would you guys like to have on a cigar app? 
  • Options
    jliu:
    That's pretty interesting.  Just out of curiosity what would you guys like to have on a cigar app? 
    I use mobile stogie, they just released a nice update for app...added about 9,000 cigars to the database, and new features. This app meets my needs nicely, check it out and you will get a good idea.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    I actually don't have an Iphone (I have a droid).  Have any idea what's good for Droids?
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    jliu:
    I actually don't have an Iphone (I have a droid).  Have any idea what's good for Droids?
    Just being smart enough to have a Droid instead of an IPhone is a good enough! LoL just kidding all our IPhone using BOTL's.
  • Options
    Laws4Laws4 Posts: 9
    Krieg:
    I use mobile stogie, they just released a nice update for app...added about 9,000 cigars to the database, and new features. This app meets my needs nicely, check it out and you will get a good idea.

I use mobile stogie as well. The level of detail cigar-description-wise is helpful for me. I also like the fact that you can review the cigar within the app - too often I am somewhere without a pen and paper to properly write down my thoughts about the stick. However, I can't seem to find/download the update. I'm a little disappointed about this, as I have found that the many of the less popular or more regional cigar brands weren't represented in my version of the app. Looking up all of the details to create a custom cigar in the app can be tedious for me to say the least.

• Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Laws4:
    Krieg:

I use mobile stogie as well. The level of detail cigar-description-wise is helpful for me. I also like the fact that you can review the cigar within the app - too often I am somewhere without a pen and paper to properly write down my thoughts about the stick. However, I can't seem to find/download the update. I'm a little disappointed about this, as I have found that the many of the less popular or more regional cigar brands weren't represented in my version of the app. Looking up all of the details to create a custom cigar in the app can be tedious for me to say the least.

For some reason mine won't update either. I'm stuck with version 2.1 and it's on 3.0
    I'm not paying for it again.

• Options
    stephen_hannibal:
    Laws4:
    Krieg:

For some reason mine won't update either. I'm stuck with version 2.1 and it's on 3.0

the app was sold to a new developer, and since the old version won't get future updates, he lowered the price this week. 50% off, $2. I bought the new app...$2 isn't gonna break the bank...and since I like the app, worth it now to get updates.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Krieg:
    stephen_hannibal:
    Laws4:
    Krieg:

the app was sold to a new developer, and since the old version won't get future updates, he lowered the price this week. 50% off, $2. I bought the new app...$2 isn't gonna break the bank...and since I like the app, worth it now to get updates.
    Mine still says $3.99 got a link for the 50% off?
    EDIT: NVM ended yesterday... f**k my luck.

• Options
    Hey Krieg if I add a bunch of cigars to list are they added to the database?
    Or is it just saved locally?

• Options
    stephen_hannibal:
    Hey Krieg if I add a bunch of cigars to list are they added to the database?
    Or is it just saved locally?

They are added to your database, but not the global database that comes with the app. The original owner/developer of the app (ken) used to have a form that you could download and fill out and email to him w/ cigars to be added to the DB. But I don't know if the new owner is doing that. I'll have to post on the forum and ask him.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, I've got ver. 3.0 of Mobile Stogie but when I try to create a humidor in which to put my cigars, it doesn't happen. I find no way to do that.

Plus, on the app, it says you can contact support@mobilestogie.com but when I go just to Mobilestogie.com (the website) it only deals with ver. 2.0.

Is this something that will work itself out with time, ya s'pose? As it is, it's useless to me now. Anyone know anything about this?

Marty

• Options
    jlmarta:
    Okay, I've got ver. 3.0 of Mobile Stogie but when I try to create a humidor in which to put my cigars, it doesn't happen. I find no way to do that.

Plus, on the app, it says you can contact support@mobilestogie.com but when I go just to Mobilestogie.com (the website) it only deals with ver. 2.0.

Is this something that will work itself out with time, ya s'pose? As it is, it's useless to me now. Anyone know anything about this?

Marty

check this thread out: Link

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Thanks for the link. A little bit informative but no apparent solutions as yet. Guess I'll just wait a while to see if the situation improves any. The app looks promising but is useless to me at this moment.

Marty

• Options
    Try clearing your phones cache.

• Options
    And I would do that .. how?

Marty

• Options
    Double tap the home button until it sort of lifts the screen. Tab and hold any apps that are in the bottom tray.
    Should look kinda like this.
    Then tap the red arrow to close the app.
  • Options
    I assume you're referring to the home button on the app. Double tapping it does nothing. And when the app is open,I don't have any apps in the bottom tray. By 'bottom tray' I assume you mean buttons like messages, mail, iPod and N.O.V.A. as in your example. Sorry to seem so dense but I'm not terribly computer-literate.

Marty

• Options
    No, the home button is the actual physical button on the bottom of the iphone.

• Options
    jlmarta:
    And I would do that .. how?

Marty

did you notice that the owner/developer of the app is part of that thread? I would post any bugs u find in the app on that thread. He follows it pretty closely.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Right. As a matter of fact I just finished sending him an email to support@mobilestogie.com as he keeps saying in that thread. Thanks for putting me onto it, Krieg.

I have ver. 3.0 of the app on my 3G S iPhone and find no updates available at this time. Even though he keeps promising them. I've re-booted, tried Stephen Hannibal's suggestion but can find no red arrow as he said I should (maybe he just has a different version of the iPhone operating system) so I guess I'll just have to lay back and wait for the bugs to be worked out of the system.

Marty

• Options
    Well, another week and another e-mail and still no response. Anyone got any idea what's going on with this app? Krieg? Anybody??

Marty

• Options
    First tap

Then Tap
    Then Tap
    Then You have
  • Options
    I'd like to do that, Stephen, but I can't get to the point of naming a humi. When the humi window is open, tapping on anything produces a big nothing. I could tap all day but nothing happens. Another thing - I was able to do a review on 2 cigars before the app took a dump. Now, if I go to one of those reviews and tap it as though I was going to revise it - the whole program is instantly closed out and I'm bact to a page full of icons. The whole thing stinks and evidently everyone's too busy trying to fix it to even answer e-mails.

Marty

• Options
    Man Sorry bro. Aside from that and reinstalling the app altogether idk what would work.
    I hope you get it worked out. It's a pretty cool app that if you have the time it's worth the work.

• Options
    Yeah, right now it's the pits. I could delete it and re-install it but then I'd have to pay for it again - not that it would break me but it's the principle of the thing. There's no guarantee the new download would work any better than the old one, either.

Ah, well, life's a b**ch and then ya die. Guess I'll just keep on keepin' on.....

Marty

• Options
    jlmarta:
    Yeah, right now it's the pits. I could delete it and re-install it but then I'd have to pay for it again - not that it would break me but it's the principle of the thing. There's no guarantee the new download would work any better than the old one, either.

Ah, well, life's a b**ch and then ya die. Guess I'll just keep on keepin' on.....

Marty

Uh no you don't sync your phone with itunes first it backs up all your data.
    then simply delete it then reinstall it from itunes. It's that easy.
    You already paid for it so you own it.
    Hell if you go to the app on the app store it should say installed instead of purchase.

• Options
    You could also post on the thread I posted earlier. The owner of the app follows the thread and seems to answer questions faster on there than through email.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Well, so far that doesn't work, either. I posted there on 3/31 - no reply as yet.

Maybe they're out to lunch.

Marty

• Options
    Krieg:
    jliu:

well, some of the problems I have with this app have been resolved. Only a couple left to deal with. I've been wondering, though, how you managed to get a database of about 9,000 cigars. From what I can tell, Ver. 3.0 is the latest but mine only shows a database of 3,597. Any idea how I might go about rectifying this detail? I can see where this app could be really helpful if only it were working properly.

Marty