Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

Crossword Clue Game

Comments

• Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Alright guys, just start posting what you have, I'll call the one with the most by midnight the winner and be done with this mess.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    You still put 'tasty' instead of great. Which makes me wonder...are Frosted Flakes ads different in Canada? Here "theeeyyyre grrrrrreat!!"

I'll start thinking of a puzzle and post one later today or tomorrow. I completely trust that Russ will get those sticks in the mail when he gets packaging and think this needs to keep moving so it doesn't die out.
    //////Been busy the last few days, but to respond and inform, my answer was from 1982, Bran Flakes used to have this ad campaign. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE09aQ4phEM
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    Too hard?
    ////must be or my brain is too tired :) I think I have 3 or 4 also, but a few no clue about atleast 1. Are people PMing you their responses?
  • Options
    Nothing PM'd, nothing guessed on here...I'll extend this 'til midnight tonight, put something out there and if its the closest you win. Another hint: like the previous one, it is cigar related, and in this case the sentence makes sense for the trade/pass/bomb thread.
  • Options
    that is too bad, as it seems like a great contest...I will attempt to re-visit the clues today, see if I can figure something out
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Here's what I had a couple of days ago..been sick and can't think but this might help someone else win...
    1. Cigar smokers, affectionately. 5 letters
    2. A sweet treat, unwrapped? 3 letters
    3. Cigar smokers, erroneously. 5 letters
    4. To 'borrow,' musically (think hip hop). 6 letters
    5. "Mothers" mid-section? 3 letters
    6. Property of a certain ccom consultant, familiarly, 6 letters
    7. Fett's catch. 6 letters

Botls
    and
    borks
    sample/trades
    the
    beards
    bounty

• Options
    james40:
    Here's what I had a couple of days ago..been sick and can't think but this might help someone else win...
    1. Cigar smokers, affectionately. 5 letters
    2. A sweet treat, unwrapped? 3 letters
    3. Cigar smokers, erroneously. 5 letters
    4. To 'borrow,' musically (think hip hop). 6 letters
    5. "Mothers" mid-section? 3 letters
    6. Property of a certain ccom consultant, familiarly, 6 letters
    7. Fett's catch. 6 letters

Botls
    and
    borks
    sample/trades
    the
    beards
    bounty

Winner!! Nice job, brother, PM me your info!! It was sample, btw, but we said you can guess twice so I'm figuring you could've just as easily written both versions and won.
  • Options
    well done....you had 2 more words than I had...but no clue on my last two (2 & 5)...still don't get them? must still be tired, or I am just nun--2-bright! thnk the later
  • Options
    2 and 5 were definitely the harder ones, especially if you're not that into word games of any sort. I do crosswords pretty regularly so they kinda came naturally to me. The question mark after the clues always denotes that word play is going on in some manner. In hindsight I should have put that in there as a hint.

2) A sweet treat, unwrapped?
    Here the sweet treat is "candy" and to unwrap it is to remove the ends (the c and y) and get 'and.'
    5) "Mothers" mid-section?
    There's three possible mid-sections of the word "Mothers," h, the, and other. "the" is the one that works in the sentence.
  • Options
    Wow! Not a clue...thanks for explaining that, now I don't feel so bad! I could have worked on those forever with the same result. Guess it is obvious I don't do word plays. Still a great contest.
  • Options
    I've done a few crosswords myself so those finally clicked. I figured sample was the right one so put that first. I'll get one up in a couple of days. This is a great contest. Thanks.
  • Options
    In the interest of keeping this going like those before me, I hope this is not too hard or too easy. I can offer better clues if needed.

1. Oprah failed at narrating this series, 4 letters
    2. Bill Clinton debated the definition of this word, 2 letters
    3. additionally, 3 letters
    4. Martin ______ , 5 letters
    5. fro's partner, 2 letters
    6. a pitch thrown with maximum velocity, 5 letters
    7. The Good, the ___, and the ugly, 3 letters
    8. what we all enjoy here, 6 letters

Hint 1 - this does make a sentence
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Life is too short to smoke bad cigars.
  • Options
    Wow, nice clues and nice answers. This is a fun game. :)
  • Options
    skweekz:
    Life is too short to smoke bad cigars.
    Kablamo - You win skweekz, nice job brother. PM your address and I will get something out in the next two days.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    Wow, nice clues and nice answers. This is a fun game. :)
    Thanks man. I had no idea what to write so googled some quotes. I think I had more fun writing the clues then guessing them. Go figure.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Man. This is fun. I just found this thread and worked out the last 2 puzzles in the last 30 minutes or so. I'm definately gonna have to get involved in this game. Good job whoever came up with this.
  • Options
    #6 had me stumped for a couple of hours. Great quote! I'll have something put up tomorrow for you guys to work on!
  • Options
    skweekz:
    #6 had me stumped for a couple of hours. Great quote! I'll have something put up tomorrow for you guys to work on!
    I was hoping heat/er would be the natural answer for most people :-)

I think I'm going to be playing this game a lot so how long do you have to wait after winning before you can answer again?
  • Options
    Looks like two weeks is standard, but I'm thinking we might have fewer BOTLs interested in this unique sort of challenge, so maybe we should make it that you sit out at least two iterations of the contest. So I'm out of the next one, but back in the one after that. Sound good?
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Yeah, we didn't really specify that, and I agree, two weeks sounds like too long of a time.
  • Options
    Okay I hope I get this right! Lemme know if I need to adjust/tweek anything. Here goes!

1) Me, 1 letter
    2) Action of a BOTL, 5 letters
    3) Out's antagonist, 2 letters
    4) Balance, 10 letters
    5) Exclusive, 4 letters
    6) ___ day at a time, 3 letters
    7) The Beard's wares, 5 letters
    8) Shift plus 2, 2 letters
    9) Alpha, 1 letter
    10) What a stop watch keeps, 4 letters

Hint: This is actually a two-part sentence. The first four words are the first part, and the last five are the second. Hoepfully it's not too easy!
  • Options
    I know I can't play yet, but I'm trying it and not posting...number 4's got me stumped!! Actually to be honest I can't get number 8 either, but I'm 99% sure I know what word should go there...
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    I know I can't play yet, but I'm trying it and not posting...number 4's got me stumped!! Actually to be honest I can't get number 8 either, but I'm 99% sure I know what word should go there...

You're correct in your PM!
  • Options
    Haha, same for me....must.....resist.....posting :-)
  • Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time.
  • Options
    DSWarmack:
    I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time.

We have a winner! Nice work! The pass is now yours!

If your address is the same as listed in wwhang's directory, I'll get your package out tomorrow.
  • Options
    I'm note sure what he has listed, if it says 1177th it is the correct one. I will start compiling my list of clues today.

**Winner, be advised your package will take a while to ship, and will come in two parts: an envelope first, and about 3-4 days later (depending on the mail) a package. When your package arrives all will make sense, if not PM me and I will straighten it out for you. Skweekz can attest to this method!**
  • Options
    DSWarmack:
    I'm note sure what he has listed, if it says 1177th it is the correct one. I will start compiling my list of clues today.

**Winner, be advised your package will take a while to ship, and will come in two parts: an envelope first, and about 3-4 days later (depending on the mail) a package. When your package arrives all will make sense, if not PM me and I will straighten it out for you. Skweekz can attest to this method!**

Indeed I can attest to this!! I advise all to take some guesses at this 'cause DS is one crazy mo-fo of a BOTL!!! It'll be well worth it!
  • Options
    Skweekz you have a PM