Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

San Lotano Maduro

docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
SAN LOTANO MADURO
5x52 Box Pressed Robusto

This first thing that anyone is gonna notice about this cigar is the box press. It isn't just a slight press, it isn't just a regular box press... it is REALLY box pressed. Like, this thing has SHARP corners. Anyway, San Lotano is A.J. Fernandez's first brand of his own, having made his name blending and producing cigars for other people (primarily online houses, CI in particular comes to mind). The San Lotano brand is a family brand, going back to his family in Cuba, back in the day, blah blah. Fernandez is a protege of Alejandro Robaina, the master of Cuban tobacco, God rest his soul, and has become known for his full bodied, Habano wrapped blends. The San Lotano brand comes in three wrapper variations, each available in 4 vitolas (Habano, Maduro, Connecticut). The Maduro I will be reviewing today is the robusto, which features a Mexican San Andreas Maduro wrapper, Honduran binder, and a mix of fillers from various countries.

This particular example features a dark chocolate wrapper, with a slightly mottled color to it, and a toothy matte finish. The look of this cigar actually is somewhat reminiscent of the Padron x000 series. The band is something I have to *** about, as an artsy fartsy type myself... It looks like it was designed with MS Paint or something. No graphic designer should or would be proud to be responsible for this band. That said, I don't smoke cigar bands, so aside from looking weak, it doesn't matter... The cold aroma is wet, and earthy, with a touch of musty tobacco. The cold draw is sweet and creamy, and offers primarily a dark chocolate flavor, the source of the sweetness. The draw itself is a bit firm, likely owing to the ridiculous box pressing going on. The wrapper itself looks great, no veins (all smushed in the box pressing process, no doubt), and applied masterfully, with a good enough looking double cap and tight seams. The pack itself is full... this thing feels like a brick, and has almost no give to it when squeezed...

Lit at 7:47pm.

At first light, this is a somewhat lighter, softer smoke than I expected, offering a dry, soft mouthfeel, and a simple, sweet tobacco flavor, with just a touch of spice on the finish, that gradually builds as it moves across the palate. Smoke production is not great at this point, probably as a result of the slightly snug draw. The burn, after just a few draws is already a little wacky, due to the hard edges from the box pressing. Hoping these little nuisances will correct themselves as things progress.

The first third is going well, and the tight draw has actually probably kept my pace slow, which is good. The flavor profile offers a dark chocolate bitterness, and a creamy sweetness, which contrast nicely. The finish has a mild spice to it that moves around the mouth a bit, and lingers for a good length of time. There is a heaviness developing through the mouth-feel of this cigar. The smoke is dense, and oily, where it started much lighter. Burn line has also worked itself out, requiring only a pair of quick touch ups.

Ash falls for the first time just a bit into the second third. The flavor profile continues to contain a great spread of sweet, dark flavors, now with an almost oaky character mingling on on a few draws. This is not an overly strong cigar, like some of those that AJ Fernandez makes, and not as complex as some, but it offers great flavors so far, with no issues, and a balance that is superb on the palate.

Throughout the final third, unfortunately the only further development is a bit more bitterness that eventually becomes hot, and unpleasant... but only really at the end. From start to finish this is a great, inexpensive, sweet, rich, maybe not overly complex, but pleasant cigar that really delivers what I think of as the flavors I look for in a maduro wrapped cigar. Perhaps the only negative thing I could say about this cigar is that the draw remained a bit too tight the whole time, but that is something that can vary a good deal from stick to stick, so I don't put much stock in it. if this is what we can expect from AJ Fernandez in the future, I will certainly continue to pay attention. Lasted a total of 1 hour 35 minutes approximately.

More photos:
SIO

Comments

• Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    You and I seem to like the same sticks so when I am looking for something new to try, you and jake are the blogs I look at for ideas. Keep up the great work
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm mistaken, but wasn't his first brand La Cuna? Or is that a blend and not a brand? I can't quite keep those two straight.

Great review though, definitely makes me want to fire one up!!
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    I shared pretty much the same experience with the one I've had. I have 4 more resting for a bit longer then I'm going to revisit to see if the ending bitterness smooths out a bit. Nice review.
  • Options
    dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Got a few of these resting myself and am VERY interested to get them going sometime soon. I will put in my 2 cents on here when I do.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I finally have my hands on one. The first few I ordered goit confiscated at the border along with a ton of other stuff in that order. Vulchor arranged a shipment for me and I have one in my coolerdor waiting for the right time. Sounds like these may benefit from a few weeks/months rest before enjoying?
  • Options
    Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like this cigar. I have a few resting in the humi as well. All the of the San Lotanos are good imo my favorite is the habano.
  • Options
    Thanks for reading dudes. I really enjoyed this one, and look forward to trying the others.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    Maybe I'm mistaken, but wasn't his first brand La Cuna? Or is that a blend and not a brand? I can't quite keep those two straight.

Great review though, definitely makes me want to fire one up!!
    La Cuna may have been the first brand he blended, or produced... but it was done to for someone else, to their specifications. Just like Diesel and MOW aren't AJ's brands. He blends and produces them... but the CI brand owns them, and they are blended and produced to the owner's request (though AJ being the master blender that he is, I'd be surprised if he didn't have an equal say... but it's just an example) Where AJ's company controls everything San Lotano, he isn't doing it on contract to someone else.
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I had one of these tonight while sitting on the front porch, relaxing and listening to the monsoon we're having. I gotta say, it was quite an enjoyable smoke. I noticed a ton of oaky flavor in the middle third. Anyone know where to pick these up at? I didn't see them listed in the ccom listing.
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you have a rep. at ccom, email or call, tim can help if not, tblythe@cigar.com
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Just saw this now, missed it earlier. Thanks for the clarification!

EDIT: I thought I had quoted the brand/blend/ownership distinction you posted for me. But I hadn't had coffee yet...
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Thanks for the heads up jj
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Def like the maduro more than the habano...anyone have the Connecticut yet?? I haven't seen these anywhere, except in some pictures.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    Def like the maduro more than the habano...anyone have the Connecticut yet?? I haven't seen these anywhere, except in some pictures.
    i have one in the humidor. ill have to smoke it soon.
  • Options
    Just revisited the stick and man was it good! Had to jump start the burn a couple times but the flavor of his thing.....its like chewing a thin strip of oak wrapped in leather that's sprinkled with dry coco powder. Love it.
  • Options
    t_evan50:
    Just revisited the stick and man was it good! Had to jump start the burn a couple times but the flavor of his thing.....its like chewing a thin strip of oak wrapped in leather that's sprinkled with dry coco powder. Love it.
    rest on these? got 2 in the humi 2 weeks now
  • Options
    Tried my first with about 3 weeks on em and it was good. These now have about 4 months I believe and they're great.
  • Options
    thanks, ill wait a little longer,lol
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    jj20030:
    thanks, ill wait a little longer,lol
    The Habano are GREAt rott, but after having a couple of the Maduro, I think I would let them rest for several months at least.
  • Options
    2 weeks is rest? 2 weeks is enough time for them to settle and acclimate to your humidity preference. In my experience, 2 weeks isn't going to have any effect on the age characteristics of the tobacco. 2 years, maybe.
  • Options
    After checking my order history I noticed that the sticks I have have be resting for 7 months. I only have 2 more so I emailed Tim and ordered a box so by the time the other 2 are gone they have a head start.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I got a 5 pack when they first came out. Tried one fresh and it was ok. I'm not a huge maduro fan, so take that for what it's worth. The others I'm trying to sit on for at least a year before I try them again.
  • Options
    Russ55:
    I got a 5 pack when they first came out. Tried one fresh and it was ok. I'm not a huge maduro fan, so take that for what it's worth. The others I'm trying to sit on for at least a year before I try them again.
    Exactly what I did and got the same result. After 7 months they really came alive (imho). Enough so that I have a box on the way. But i am a maduro nut.
  • Options
    Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    Well i tried it t_evan.....had the local herf the other day....super blah to me....no flavor profile...not bad, but i couldnt justify ordering a entire box....now the habano is a whole nother story! lol
  • Options
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    Well i tried it t_evan.....had the local herf the other day....super blah to me....no flavor profile...not bad, but i couldnt justify ordering a entire box....now the habano is a whole nother story! lol
    They were pretty "blah" the first time I tried one but now they're like "BAM" LOL. I don't know for sure if I changed or they did but either way I like em. I need to try the habano sometime. Now I wish I would have added a couple to my order. Damn.
  • Options
    t_evan50:
    Russ55:
    Exactly what I did and got the same result. After 7 months they really came alive (imho). Enough so that I have a box on the way. But i am a maduro nut.

PM to you, kind sir
  • Options
    skweekz:
    t_evan50:
    Russ55:

PM to you, kind sir
    And back to you
  • Options
    Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    the habano is just such a great cigar. I would buy sum, but im about to pick up sum fuentes, tat tubos ( i found a local shop that actually has them priced just like the net), and sum vieja's! lol
  • Options
    Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have both the habano and maduro in the humi resting for about 2 months. I'ts hard to wait and smoke these but really looking forward to how they are gonna come out with the resting.
  • Options
    i picked up some of these and smoking one now ( toro ), i like the taste but the 3-4 ive had so far just cant seem to burn evenly , have to relight several times to correct the burn, the habanos and the ovals i have no problems at all, the way they burn remind me of the rp owr