Home General Discussion
Options

Most expencive cigar. And was it worth it?

Comments

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    What's a BBMF?
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Big Bad Mother F#$%@#?
  • Options
    vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    It is very fun to say. I try to act like Samuel Jackson when I say it. He is the king of "Mother F#$%@#!"
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I haven't gotten in on this thread, because I haven't been sure about my most expensive cigar. If you go strictly by MSRP, then it was a Centurian, and I would say it's not worth MSRP, but is probably my favorite Gurkha (hey, look at that.. killed two threads with one post). I didn't pay near MSRP for it.

Now we will expose a flaw in my current spreadsheet: I don't track the actual money paid for a particular cigar. In most of my spreadsheets, I do track this, down to the penny. It helps me understand how much I have invested in something, and objectively analyze my returns to see if it has been worthwhile. I use this analysis to make future decisions on things like hobbies, activities, etc. The reason I don't track actual outlay per cigar is that I frequently buy samplers containing several different brands of cigar, usually at a substantial discount. I could devise a formula to appropriate savings to each cigar based on their relative MSRP, but I find that to be grossly inaccurate when samplers include things like Gurkhas which can regularly be had well below MSRP, and major/national brands (Fuente) which normally sell right around MSRP (sometimes higher, sometimes lower).

OK.. Back on topic. I believe that the most money I have paid for a single cigar is $12 at the B&M for a House Blend Criollo Torpedo. I bought another one after, so I must say I felt it was worth it. I've also bought several house blends of various warppers and sizes for people on here (although I don't think anybody has smoked them). They're pretty mild, so I highly doubt they will age particularly well. I hope they're good by the time people get around to trying them. I'll probably buy more of those house blends this weekend, but in the cheaper ($8-10) vitolas.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    As long as this one made it back, my most expensive cigar that I ever bought ( and have yet to smoke ) is the Opus X Chateau de la Fuentes Rare Estate Reserve 1992. They were in a three pack for 99.00. I was feeling like picking up some good sticks that day, and now I am waiting for the special occasion(s) to light 'em up. Probably some time when the weather gets warmer, I hope they are worth it, but by then I won't think about the price paid. But I don't think they will make it into regular rotation.
  • Options
    The Opus X Chateau de la Fuentes Rare Estate Reserve 1992 is very nice, you wont be disappointed. I recently was given a Gurkha His Majesty's Reserve, which msrp is around 750.00 I hear..undoubtably 1 of the most amazing cigars but no cigar is worth that, but it sure added to the occassion, and made it all the more special.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    WOW, you are the first person I've seen on here that has actually tired an HMR! I bet it is a great smoke and I would love to have a few, but no chance in hell I'd pay what they ask for them.
  • Options
    Josephkalish:
    The Opus X Chateau de la Fuentes Rare Estate Reserve 1992 is very nice, you wont be disappointed. I recently was given a Gurkha His Majesty's Reserve, which msrp is around 750.00 I hear..undoubtably 1 of the most amazing cigars but no cigar is worth that, but it sure added to the occassion, and made it all the more special.
    A very generous friend that has HMRs to share.. They were on a clearance sale here not long ago, still to much for just one smoke. There are so many others I enjoy that I could buy boxes of for the same price..
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Josephkalish:
    We need a review.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    kaspera79:
    A very generous friend that has HMRs to share.. They were on a clearance sale here not long ago, still to much for just one smoke. There are so many others I enjoy that I could buy boxes of for the same price..
    Bingo.
  • Options
    I dropped 32 on an Opus X and wondered why. I dropped 25 on the Ahston ESG, and still wonder why. Dropped 5 on Rocky Patel 10 year and it beat the X and ESG, go figure I guess it is all in what you expect and like in a cigar, just like beer I cannot figure out why anyone would drink a $2 glass of Bud at a bar when for another $1.50 they could be drinking a Fat Tire, go fig. Now the 12 to 14 I spend on the Diamond Crown Maximus, well worth every penny and then some.
  • Options
    rdpitts43:
    I dropped 32 on an Opus X and wondered why. I dropped 25 on the Ahston ESG, and still wonder why. Dropped 5 on Rocky Patel 10 year and it beat the X and ESG, go figure I guess it is all in what you expect and like in a cigar, just like beer I cannot figure out why anyone would drink a $2 glass of Bud at a bar when for another $1.50 they could be drinking a Fat Tire, go fig. Now the 12 to 14 I spend on the Diamond Crown Maximus, well worth every penny and then some.
    $5 for an RP Decade?!? Where did you find that deal?
  • Options
    madurofan:
    rdpitts43:
    $5 for an RP Decade?!? Where did you find that deal?
    I think the term 10 year is used for the Vintage 1992. Or maybe the ITC 10 year ?.
  • Options
    Uhh, crap now I forgot, maybe it was the RP Edge. Guess that is what I get for not smoking the same thing over and over, I tend to jump from one maker to the next, currently my favorite is CAO, before that Rocky, then Perdomo, the Padron, then I mix in the Diamond Crowns, Ashtons, La Glorias. Cigar smoking is the one time I let my brain run rampant, footloose, and carefree when it comes to making a decision. I do know I was not overly thrilled with the ESG or X, the day after I had the X I had the RP Edge and thought it was just as good. Sorry for the confusion guess I beter go have a cigar, just cannot figure out which one, crap.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Josephkalish:
    lucky *@**... lol.
  • Options
    Well let me see, in one word it was perfect. Great draw, long even burn, so smooth it was outrageous. I cant explain flavor it was very complex, a lot going on. If i could piss money away i would smoke nothing else, nothing comes close to it. I can tell you this tho, i dont care what you do, how much you make, you absolutely need to try at some point in your life. Beware its not for a casual smoker obviously, its for the seasoned vet. Good smoking fellas.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    edit-wrong thread.
  • Options
    I bought the Oliva v maduro and a MB 3 about 6 weeks ago. I was extremely disappointed with the MB 3 but very please with the V. Draw was tight tho, I agree. I won't smoke again because of the draw.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I thought the MB3 was good myself, it was a while ago though and I would like to try it again to see how I like it now. For some reason I thought this was the "whatcha smokin" thread when I posted that, hence the removed comment.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    I really enjoyed the MB 3 robusto I've had.
  • Options
    Yea i heard great about it, and its an attractive stick but just didn't do it for me. Its not cheap either.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I have a new most expensive cigar. The Ashton VSG 1999 round. I ordered two today. I'll let you know how it smokes.
  • Options
    timbtimb Posts: 353 ✭✭✭

Hey guys!  Rich, I want a detailed review of the VSG's.  Alex gifted me one a couple years back, still haven't smoked it.  I really should.

Anywho, saw a comment about $5 RP Decades and where you can find them.  Why here of course!  Shoot me an email and I'll hook you up!

Remember guys, I can make miracles happen.  Always give me a chance first.  99% of the time I'll make you a happy customer.  The other 1% it's Alex's fault.

• Options
    timb:

Hey guys!  Rich, I want a detailed review of the VSG's.  Alex gifted me one a couple years back, still haven't smoked it.  I really should.

Anywho, saw a comment about $5 RP Decades and where you can find them.  Why here of course!  Shoot me an email and I'll hook you up!

Remember guys, I can make miracles happen.  Always give me a chance first.  99% of the time I'll make you a happy customer.  The other 1% it's Alex's fault.

HA! We'll definetly keep that in mind. Tell Alex to quit trying to make you turn a profit and all its getting in the way of your job.
  • Options
    timb:

Umm. Detailed? Now you're asking too much! :-) I'll do my best though.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    timb:

lol, did Alex hear that.... =0
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    timb:

the service at cigar.com CANNOT be beat.
  • Options
    I have to revive this old thread because I just paid more than ever before on a cigar. I just ordered 2 of the Don Arturo Gran Aniverxario Sun Grown at $60 a piece. I want to try these before you can't get them. I also ordered 2 of the Don Arturo Gran Aniverxario Natural at $45 each.
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    I have to revive this old thread because I just paid more than ever before on a cigar. I just ordered 2 of the Don Arturo Gran Aniverxario Sun Grown at $60 a piece. I want to try these before you can't get them. I also ordered 2 of the Don Arturo Gran Aniverxario Natural at $45 each.
    You'll have to let us know if it was worth it...
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Cohiba Red Dot/Tubo - $20, totally worth it