Home General Discussion
Options

Most expencive cigar. And was it worth it?

Comments

• Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Padron 1964 45th Year Anniversary. $25. 7-8. Would have been a 9 were it not for the 40 minutes the flavor disappeared on me. Not worth the price tag, but I have one more that I'll age for a year or two and try her again. The standard 1964 Maduro for $12 is worth every penny, though.

CAO Vision Prana. $18. 9-10. I was in love with this one, though this was a while ago. My preferences for cigars have changed a bit, I have a few more of the Visions that I'll have to try again to see if they are as phenomenal as I remember.

OpusX **** (power ranger?). $17. 9-10. Fabulous smoke and worth every penny.

Camacho Pre Embargo $25 (thanks to a special from ccom, paid $9 or $10). 9-10. Worth every penny. Fabulous smoke, and I have 7 or 8 of them now. One of my absolute favorite cigars I've ever had.
  • Options
    badge54fdbadge54fd Posts: 241
    Cohiba Esplendidos Churchill. Over priced at $68 Canadian.

A good smoke, but not worth paying the Canadian prices for it.

• Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Paid $17 for a Punch Punch... it was kinda good... can't lie.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Jeez badge, that's crazy. I feel bad for you Canada folk, sure you can buy Cuban cigars legally, but at those prices? Madness. The Esplendido is good, but for that money I could buy three Avo LE10 and that's a way better bargain...of course it helps that it's a better cigar to begin with, but that's neither here nor there. :)

For me, recently, some pricier cigars I've had include the Davidoff Winston Churchill Marrakesh at ~$25, not quite worth that much imo. Avo LE10 ~$21 at B&M ($15 online) definitely worth the price, fantastic cigar. Davidoff LE 2009 Sungrown, at $26 online, this was the weakest performer listed, I won't buy another.
  • Options
    badge54fdbadge54fd Posts: 241
    Even a cheap Guantanamera cigar is $10 here... Thats why I buy a majority of my cigars from Ccom. Even with the shipping across the border is cheaper by at least half for me.

All hail the Ccom Robusto

• Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Currently I have some GOF's that are resting. Most I have ever spent on a single stick, definitely. I plan to pick up a few Opus and Padron sticks that will be in that ballpark as well though.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I'll let you know when I get that humi seasoned. I've got a Don Carlos Anniversary that's been resting for at least 9 months now. That's gonna be my celebration cigar for getting the cabinet up and running.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    I've got a Don Carlos Anniversary that's been resting for at least 9 months now. That's gonna be my celebration cigar for getting the cabinet up and running.

Fanfriggintastic smoke, lemme know how yo like it!
  • Options
    Definitely will. I was going to smoke something out of that pack you sent me, but I think I want them to rest a little more.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i never replied to this thread when it was new....

lets see...

ive had a few opusx

ive had a few anejo.

for about $20 i had a La Aurora Preferido. that was worth it.

I have two GoFs in my humidor. not sure if it was worth it or not. $30

I have a few ISOMs that when i look up the price are in the neighborhood of $30.
    I had an Ashton VSG 1999 round. when i smoked the thing it could be found for around $70. it was good but i think these guys are past their prime. it wasnt all that great.

I have had an original release AVO 22. in 2002 they were going for about $12 each. (box for $222). the rarity of this cigar 8 years on (i have never seen one for sale) makes it hard to estimate the price. this was easily the best mild cigar i have ever had. probably the best hands down.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    AF Anejo #55, 9.5-10, worth every penny @ $15/ea. Worth even more than I payed.
    AF Anejo #77, 9.5-10, worth every penny @ $16/ea. Worth even more than I payed.
    Gurkha Beast, 7-8, Not even close to worth it @$16/ea.
    Gurkha Titan, 8-9, paid~10/ea. for a box (not the aluminum one, lol) Worth it.
    Don Carlos Edicion de Anniversario, bought sampler of 9 for $179.00, 10, worth double the price easily.
    God of Fire, I've had all sizes except the tubos, 9.5-10, $20/ea. worth every penny
    Padron Anniversary 1926, $15 (i think that's what I paid), 9-10, worth every penny
    Ashton ESG 20 year salute, 9.5-10, $20/ea. worth every penny
    Ashton ESG 21 year salute, 9.5-10, $19/ea. worth every penny
    Camacho Pre Embargo, 9-10, not sure what I payed, but at $25/ea. they are worth it.
    ISOM Monte #2, 7-8, $15/ea. definately not worth it. All the good Cuban talent left Cuba. No matter how good the tobacco might be, if the cigar is rolled tighter nun pussey, it's just not smokable.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Don Carlos Aniversario: Definatley worth every finger burning cent.
    GOF: Eh, Ehhhhh, Good cigar.....not worth $26...
    Opus: I still love these and, amazingly, never had a burn problem. If you hunt around there are great deals to be had on these. Not a $33 smoke but if you can find em for 1/2 msrp, do it.

Still wanting to try an ESG, i keep staring at them when i go to the B&M.....(sigh)

But THEEE most expensive one i had was at Casa Fuente in Vegas(as everyone lights their flamethrowers....) i was at a friends bachelor party and paid $60 for one called a Don Arturo.....not so much...total let down. Good cigar but not even $60
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Opus X **** - $18. Not even close to worth it. I may be the only one, but I didn't get anything from this cigar I can't get from a MOW Ruination or even an RyJ Reserva Real. I can get the full-body and better flavor from the MOW Ruination, and a better experience and enjoyment from the RyJ RR, if not the body. I mean, it was good, but nothing spectacular, and the flavors just never developed for me. It was a gift, so yeah, it was worth it to me (haha), but nothing I would spend my money on personally. I'd rather spend $20 for an RyJ Limitada.
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Lets see ........ I have a few Camacho PE's that i got great deals on here at ccom ........ i have a few Sol Cubano Artisan's that got on great deals ..... A few CAO Sporano's The Boss that I got a great deal on ...... I have my first Opus X that was gifted by MY BBOTLF ( Best Brother Of The Leaf Forever) AlienMisprint ........ but those have yet to be smoked .... the most expesive that i paid out of pocket for was an AVO Domaine bought at a B&M for almost 15 bucks ...... I'd rate it a 9 ......... i feel it was worth it
  • Options
    Yeah, I never actually replied to this thread either, lol.

Opus X Perfexion #4 and #5 - not worth it
    Opus X Robusto with a year on it - worth it
    Camacho PE - worth every penny and more
    Padron 26 and 64 - not worth it
    La Aurora Preferido Connecticut - not worth it
    Ashton VSG - worth it
    Ashton ESG - worth it
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    alienmisprint:

i wont even smoke an OpusX without at least a year on it.
  • Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    Padron 1926 80yr: 30 dollars and a 9rating. Worth it for me. Best cigar I ever had. Davidoff Special R: 20 dollars and 8.5 rating. Worth it for me God of Fire 2006 Carlito: 27 dollars and a 7 rating. Not worth it at all. I think these are the only 3 cigars that I have ever spent more than 20 dollars on. and 2 of them were fantastic. All three were at special occasions out at a B&M with friends so I over paid, but its the nature of the high roller game.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    alienmisprint:

Yeah man, I got it. With a year on 'em and better, they do seem to be amazing. But dude, for the price of them, I shouldn't have to age them a year, you know? Every other smoke on that list that I rated as "worth it" can be smoked pretty much straight from a B&M and be great right then.

Look at even Decades, or Tempus, or any $10-15 stick. Almost all of those can be smoked straight from the B&M or after a week or two in your humi to get it settled. They may get a little better with some age, but they are still very good when they are more or less fresh. I just can't see spending $15+ on a stick that I have to set aside for a year.
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    alienmisprint:
    kuzi16:
    alienmisprint:

Yeah man, I got it. With a year on 'em and better, they do seem to be amazing. But dude, for the price of them, I shouldn't have to age them a year, you know? Every other smoke on that list that I rated as "worth it" can be smoked pretty much straight from a B&M and be great right then.

Look at even Decades, or Tempus, or any $10-15 stick. Almost all of those can be smoked straight from the B&M or after a week or two in your humi to get it settled. They may get a little better with some age, but they are still very good when they are more or less fresh. I just can't see spending $15+ on a stick that I have to set aside for a year.
    agreed, I dont wanna have to age a cigar for a year after dropping 20 bucks or so on it
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    illinoisgolf99:
    alienmisprint:
    kuzi16:
    alienmisprint:

agreed, I dont wanna have to age a cigar for a year after dropping 20 bucks or so on it
    Being Canadian, I'm used to having Cuban cigars available. They seem to do things differently over there and often suggest "5 years of rest to smoke the very best". Don't hate on me, I didn't make that up, lol. The point is, some of those cigars smoke their best between 3 to 7 years of aging, sometimes more. To me, aging a cigar is simply the "thing to do" unless you purchase older sticks or something like the Rocky Patel Vintage line that is made with older leaf and then aged for you before you purchase.

As for my most expensive cigar to date? That would be the one I smoked this past Friday. A ISOM San Cristobal de la Habana from a box of May 2001. Great stick. Not the most expensive in 01, but worth a pretty penny now!

• Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    camgfs:
    illinoisgolf99:
    alienmisprint:
    kuzi16:
    alienmisprint:

Being Canadian, I'm used to having Cuban cigars available. They seem to do things differently over there and often suggest "5 years of rest to smoke the very best". Don't hate on me, I didn't make that up, lol. The point is, some of those cigars smoke their best between 3 to 7 years of aging, sometimes more. To me, aging a cigar is simply the "thing to do" unless you purchase older sticks or something like the Rocky Patel Vintage line that is made with older leaf and then aged for you before you purchase.

As for my most expensive cigar to date? That would be the one I smoked this past Friday. A ISOM San Cristobal de la Habana from a box of May 2001. Great stick. Not the most expensive in 01, but worth a pretty penny now!

When I first stared I would say that it was hard to age cigars. Now with a pretty good collection and varity it is sort of fun and a bit of a challenge to wait and let sticks age and then try them. Some sticks are harder to wait on because of the excitement of a new stick or just trying something new. That too is something that helps me to enjoy a stick even more if I can let it rest and smoke it on a special occation.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    $26.00 retail for a padron '64 Imperial Maduro. It was worth it, but I don't buy them retail anymore. I did pay $31.00 (I think it was 31) for an ISOM cohiba siglo IV (I think it was a IV) last year and it wasn't worth it. Well, maybe it was at least for the knowledge that I gained.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Russ55:
    $26.00 retail for a padron '64 Imperial Maduro. It was worth it, but I don't buy them retail anymore. I did pay $31.00 (I think it was 31) for an ISOM cohiba siglo IV (I think it was a IV) last year and it wasn't worth it. Well, maybe it was at least for the knowledge that I gained.
    woah! $26 for a 1964 Maduro? yikes! That's a bit of a price hike on that one, lol. The exclusivo viotola is absolutely knock-your socks off - think with a box split and the 10% discount for the COTMC we paid less than $11 a stick from ccom. YUMMY!
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    TatuajeVI:
    Russ55:
    woah! $26 for a 1964 Maduro? yikes! That's a bit of a price hike on that one, lol. The exclusivo viotola is absolutely knock-your socks off - think with a box split and the 10% discount for the COTMC we paid less than $11 a stick from ccom. YUMMY!
    It was a pretty sweet deal.......I look at them everyday and get excited.
  • Options
    Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    Lets see I have a few Comacho Pre-Embargo's that I paid $40 for a 3 pack and a few Opus X's and those where $14. Dont know if they are worth it yet I seem to talk myself out of smoking them everytime I look at one. One of the Opus's, the one I picked up at the herf down in Akron, I am saving for my birthday so unless I can convince myself to have one of the ****'s that I have I will have to let you know. I have a feeling that the Pre-Embargo's will be worth every penny from what everyone is saying I just havent brough myself to have one.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Dustin1981:
    Lets see I have a few Comacho Pre-Embargo's that I paid $40 for a 3 pack and a few Opus X's and those where $14. Dont know if they are worth it yet I seem to talk myself out of smoking them everytime I look at one. One of the Opus's, the one I picked up at the herf down in Akron, I am saving for my birthday so unless I can convince myself to have one of the ****'s that I have I will have to let you know. I have a feeling that the Pre-Embargo's will be worth every penny from what everyone is saying I just havent brough myself to have one.
    Where the heck do you guys find Opus Xs for 14$?? Having never had one, I would GLADLY pay that instead of the 30$ they fetch online.
  • Options
    Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    Some local shops have them at those prices. I got one from a shop about an hour from me for $14 and change and my local shop has the **** for $13 and change. That is the MSRP on them but if you look on here click read more on the discription of the cigar and there is a link about pricing for them. They price them higher so they dont sell out super fast on some of the rare and hard to find sticks.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    docbp87:
    Dustin1981:
    Where the heck do you guys find Opus Xs for 14$?? Having never had one, I would GLADLY pay that instead of the 30$ they fetch online.
    Yea, I find them in my local shop from $14-$18 when they have them in stock. Usually the Anejo has about the same price tag. They are both well worth the price!
  • Options
    Sandman1am:
    camgfs:
    illinoisgolf99:
    alienmisprint:
    kuzi16:
    alienmisprint:

When I first stared I would say that it was hard to age cigars. Now with a pretty good collection and varity it is sort of fun and a bit of a challenge to wait and let sticks age and then try them. Some sticks are harder to wait on because of the excitement of a new stick or just trying something new. That too is something that helps me to enjoy a stick even more if I can let it rest and smoke it on a special occation.
    You guys are missing my point. I do have several cigars aging, and quite a few with a year or more on them. Almost all the cigars I smoke have 6 months on them, unless they are something new I'm trying. The point is, they shouldn't NEED to be aged in order to be a good smoke. The fresh Opus X's I have (fresh as in 2-3 months after I got it from the B&M) just weren't good. If I am going to pay that much for a cigar, it should be delicious whenever I choose to smoke it, fresh or not.
  • Options
    docbp87:
    Dustin1981:
    First off, call Ccom. You'd be suprised at the deals they can work on the phone. Just sayin. Other than that, NC. For some reason, cigars are alot cheaper in NC. Gurkha Beasts are about $8-10, Ashton VSG are $12-15, Opus X's are $12-18 or so. I actually bought a box worth of Pefexion No 4 and No 5 a year ago. There were like 23 cigars, it came out to around 280.