Home General Discussion

San Andres!!!

Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
Hey everybody. I'm headed down to the San Andres Valley to visit the farms and factory of the world renowned Turrent family. They grow san andres maduro and Mexican maroon. Going to be interesting to see how things in Mexico differ from farms in central america and the carribean. First video should go up tomorrow and I will load more as I find spots with internet. Will take lots of pics too! Follow me and my trip on the blog section that is where the videos will load.

Comments

• cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Is there a video lengnth limit on the iphone? If not, can you make them longer?
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Awesome. Love the San Andreas Maduro wrapper.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    Yeah, me too. I think I'm just more into maduros in general lately.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    docbp87:
    +1 the frigging Azteca made that for me.

• alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    docbp87:
    +1 the frigging Azteca made that for me.

Isn't that what was used on the Forum Blend maduro?
    I thought we used the Brazil Arapiraca.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Yep, probably was the Brazilian.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    Yep, probably was the Brazilian.
    it was the brazilian on the forum blend
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I once played Grand Theft Auto: San Andre(a)s

Not many cigars... But tonz of B!tches
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Hey Alex... is this family the same "A. Turrent" that puts out the Triple Play? If so, can you please ask them why they hyped a cigar that sucks so badly?
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Love that wrapper, the Padron 1964 did it for me. Can't wait for the blogs!

"Long ashes my friends."

• denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    Love that wrapper, the Padron 1964 did it for me. Can't wait for the blogs!
    same for me. I didn't like a Padron until I smoked one with that wrapper
  • NightHawkNightHawk Posts: 247
    I thought all padron's were nicaraguan puros? they use mexican wrappers on the 64?
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I love me some San Andres wrappers!
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how about the La Reloba Seleccion , they any good?
    jj20030:
    how about the La Reloba Seleccion , they any good?
    Yes! The La Reloba Seleccion Mexico is great.

As for the Padron question... it has loooooong been rumored that they source their maduro wrapper from Mexico, and frankly, having recently smoked a good few cigars that use a San Andreas wrapper, I have started to believe it. Their maduro wrappers smell and taste just like S.A. maduro.
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    reason i ask i ran across a box for 98.00
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Just got back. Great trip. More videos going up on Monday. The tobacco was very interesting. Of note was how short the plants were yet how big the leaves got. Surprising given the close cover. Also, the curing barns were lined with corn stalks which I have never seen. Anyway, just landed and have 12 hours at home. Leave for the Dominican tomorrow!
    cabinetmaker:
    Is there a video lengnth limit on the iphone? If not, can you make them longer?
    Imy video guy wants ms to keep them under 2 minutes. I guess most people have a short attention span. I do want to keep them short and sweet but when I find something interweaving I will be sure to break the rules :)
  • Alex Svenson:
    Just got back. Great trip. More videos going up on Monday. The tobacco was very interesting. Of note was how short the plants were yet how big the leaves got. Surprising given the close cover. Also, the curing barns were lined with corn stalks which I have never seen. Anyway, just landed and have 12 hours at home. Leave for the Dominican tomorrow!
    man must be rough having to travel from tobacco filed to tobacco filed getting to look at these amazing places. Have a great trip in the DR and a safe one.
    Christian_Sapp:
    Alex Svenson:
    man must be rough having to travel from tobacco filed to tobacco filed getting to look at these amazing places. Have a great trip in the DR and a safe one.
    Will do. I will be visiting with some great cigar makers in the coming days and will shoot some video while there and try to catalog the trip as much as I can. I will also try to get some of the actual makers in there and lengthen the videos if I can. I am sure you guys are sick of seeing my ugly mug by now anyway and would prefer to see some real cigar makers LOL.
  • Alex Svenson:
    Christian_Sapp:
    Alex Svenson:
    Will do. I will be visiting with some great cigar makers in the coming days and will shoot some video while there and try to catalog the trip as much as I can. I will also try to get some of the actual makers in there and lengthen the videos if I can. I am sure you guys are sick of seeing my ugly mug by now anyway and would prefer to see some real cigar makers LOL.
    really enjoy seeing these video blogs. I'm really interested in the up and coming blends like the 1884. I'm about ready for an update on new cigars and their details if you are allowed to talk about them.
    xIcedGuardianx:
    Alex Svenson:
    Christian_Sapp:
    Alex Svenson:
    really enjoy seeing these video blogs. I'm really interested in the up and coming blends like the 1884. I'm about ready for an update on new cigars and their details if you are allowed to talk about them.
    Will do. In the Dominican the new release I wrote about that comes to mind is obsidian which is being made by Pinar del Rio. Great blend and great price. I will be there tomorrow morning and will get lots of shots of that. The other new releases I wrote about like 1844 and la herencia core are all coming out of Nicaragua. The good news is that I am in Nicaragua next week to see the last pickings of the 2011 harvest. Thus is the picking where you really see the ligero yield. I will get video on all that new stuff while I am there.
  • Alex Svenson:
    xIcedGuardianx:
    Alex Svenson:
    Christian_Sapp:
    Alex Svenson:
    Will do. In the Dominican the new release I wrote about that comes to mind is obsidian which is being made by Pinar del Rio. Great blend and great price. I will be there tomorrow morning and will get lots of shots of that. The other new releases I wrote about like 1844 and la herencia core are all coming out of Nicaragua. The good news is that I am in Nicaragua next week to see the last pickings of the 2011 harvest. Thus is the picking where you really see the ligero yield. I will get video on all that new stuff while I am there.
    Killer! Looking forward to it.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    xIcedGuardianx:
    Alex Svenson:
    xIcedGuardianx:
    Alex Svenson:
    Christian_Sapp:
    Alex Svenson:
    Killer! Looking forward to it.
    +1! love the video blogs Alex!
  • so i am a big maudro fan, i think i have only had one san andres maduro wrapper and that was the tatuaje face and loved it what are some other san andres maduro cigars?
    Christian_Sapp:
    so i am a big maudro fan, i think i have only had one san andres maduro wrapper and that was the tatuaje face and loved it what are some other san andres maduro cigars?
    AB Tempus, GH Azteca, Saint Luis Rey Maduro, H. Upmann Maduro
    Christian_Sapp:
    so i am a big maudro fan, i think i have only had one san andres maduro wrapper and that was the tatuaje face and loved it what are some other san andres maduro cigars?
    La Reloba Seleccion Mexico, San Lotano Maduro, and (rumor) Padron maduros.
  • i had the ab tempus and loved it one of my fav sticks but did not know it was a san andres maduro had the st luis rey thought it was ok did not care for the 60 ring gauge
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    Also, the curing barns were lined with corn stalks which I have never seen.
    .... seen... ive never heard of it. any reason for it or is this just tradition?