Home Cigar 101
Options

New to Cigars

CwizCwiz Posts: 12
Hi everyone,
I'm starting to really get into cigars and needed a few pointers on what to buy. I know there are many cheap cigars and those that are handmade and excellent in quality. I am going to buy some Baccarats (so far #1 suggestion from others) to try out and I am looking to try out the "better" stuff ; or so they say. I was told to steer away from the cheaper cigars and to only invest in the more expensive ones. Problem is, I'm not sure where to start. I do plan on starting with a cheaper one, to practice lighting, smoking, and to understand what a cheaper cigar tastes like. After that, I will transition into the better ones.

Any suggestions on the more "expensive" stuff? Any suggestions to replace the Baccarat suggestions? If Baccarats are good, which one would you choose?

Also what's your favorite sweet/wheaty cigar? I'm not too much into the spices.
Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to get my curiosity out of the way.

Thanks in advance and stay healthy,
-C. (I know not to inhale :-) )

Comments

• Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    Hey Cwiz, welcome to the forums.

You don't necessarily need to spend a lot of money to get a great cigar, especially on this website. Check out the Daily Deals and other stuff on sale. You can often find entire boxes on sale at a great price. One option is the CCOM label sampler, and from there you can decide which cigars you like and branch out.

Cheers
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Welcome to the forum and +1 to what JCizzle said, the CCOM label sampler is a great sampler and the house blends are awesome sticks!
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    ENFIDL:
    Welcome to the forum and +1 to what JCizzle said, the CCOM label sampler is a great sampler and the house blends are awesome sticks!
    +2 to the house blend sampler, as it will give you a good way to sample different types of cigars so you ca start to figure out what you like. also i think one of the 5 vegas samplers is only about $35, and their a great smoke as well. Also check out what they have in the U pick 2 sampler for $40. Moral of the story though man, just grab a bunch of stuff that looks good, try it and go from there.

welcome to the form though man, enjoy.
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I would say look around at some of the samplers that are on sale in featured or variety samplers, and have at them.

Another good one I would Recommend is the Awards Sampler for 2010. Basically all of Ccom's picks for top 3 cigars of the year in different categories. With that you know you're getting good sticks and are bound to fall in love with several new brands.
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    G2 is a good smooth cheap smoke, cu avana regular and maduro , wanna start with some great ideas and suggestions you can email a ccom rep. and tell him what you said and ask for suggestions they will give you a hook up, ccom rep. i use > Tim Blythe- TBlythe@cigar.com also this is the house sampler http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewCigar.asp?prod=SP-2WASST4
  • Options
    MperconteMperconte Posts: 367
    Quit now, never look at another cigar again. Be smart, save your money. This bad, nasty habit will make you go broke, ruin your marriage and make you smell.

1st it starts with a 20 count humidor that you fill up on you 1st Ccom order. Then you buy a 150 count humidor and fill that up in a month. Next, you get the idea of Tupperware or a coolador for storage and then your off to the races. Finally, you build a relationship with the Ccom staff and you get better pricing then what advertised; this seals the deal and now you're owned.

Now, add the over the top, just revamped daily deals, and it now time to seek therapy. Make a few friends on the forums and BOMBS away.

My advice and take up fishing. Start a wine collection; spend the money on Date night with the little women. :)

Just remember, I warned you...

Welcome to Cigar.com
    Start with the samplers to figure out what oyu like and don't like.
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Mperconte:
    Quit now, never look at another cigar again. Be smart, save your money. This bad, nasty habit will make you go broke, ruin your marriage and make you smell.

1st it starts with a 20 count humidor that you fill up on you 1st Ccom order. Then you buy a 150 count humidor and fill that up in a month. Next, you get the idea of Tupperware or a coolador for storage and then your off to the races. Finally, you build a relationship with the Ccom staff and you get better pricing then what advertised; this seals the deal and now you're owned.

Now, add the over the top, just revamped daily deals, and it now time to seek therapy. Make a few friends on the forums and BOMBS away.

My advice and take up fishing. Start a wine collection; spend the money on Date night with the little women. :)

Welcome to Cigar.com

+1 to all of this
  • Options
    adrosadros Posts: 216
    skweekz:
    Mperconte:

+2, I am currently hidding cigars from my wife. Joeyjoe please send larger humidore soon, I'm running out of places to stash 'em. Run from this! It will suck you and your money in like a vortex! You will sleep on the couch, eat cold canned beeforoni, only be able to aford water and never ever have sex again. But it's worth it! Welcome to Cigar.com

+1 to all of this
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mperconte:

Welcome to Cigar.com
    dont scare him away,lmao , but true, i got 5 humis now, ALL FULL ,best part is im single though, start out with a 250 count humidor,TRUST ME!
  • Options
    adrosadros Posts: 216
    adros:
    skweekz:
    Mperconte:

+2, I am currently hidding cigars from my wife. Joeyjoe please send larger humidore soon, I'm running out of places to stash 'em. Run from this! It will suck you and your money in like a vortex! You will sleep on the couch, eat cold canned beeforoni, only be able to aford water and never ever have sex again. But it's worth it! Welcome to Cigar.com

+1 to all of this
    I'm such a tard! I wrote the last paragraph of the previous comment. Idiot!
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    WELCOME !!! Ask a C.Com rep to help you with some choices. The Samplers suggested are also a great way to try a broad range or sticks as well. Stick around we all learn from and teach each other things everyday.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Oh man have you just messed up. get your own credit card now so the wifey doesn't know how much you are spending on cigars. LOL Go ahead and buy the biggest humidor you can find it will be cheaper in the long run instead of the usual progression of 20ct, 50ct, 150ct, 300ct etc
  • Options
    Oh you guys are too much! Thanks for all the helpful information. I guess my journey ends here.

Nahh! How much should I be spending per cigar? I'm thinking about stopping by my local smoke shop but I was told by my locals that they tend to lie about product and prices. I'm going to email a rep right now.

Thanks again everyone.
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Welcome! You came to the right place for great info on cigars. I would venture to say that most of us here learned a lot of what we know about cigars (if not all) from this site.

And everything in this thread is true: you're screwed! Seriously, try a sampler and keep track of the different wrappers and note what you like/don't like about each one as you smoke them. That will help you determine which more expensive cigars to go for down the road. Just becase it is expensive and John Doe says he loves it, doesn't mean jack when it comes to your own tastes.
  • Options
    MperconteMperconte Posts: 367
    Hit the sampler tab at the top of the screen, select featured samplers, go to page 2 and look at the "Dirty Dozen II sampler; a good mix of really nice sticks in there to start with for $40. They got premium stick from Mild to full bodied that are everyone favorites.
    or

Under the variety Sampler, page 8, try the "Best of Nicaragua Sampler II" for $30. Hell, get both.
  • Options
    jfacianejfaciane Posts: 242
    Welcome! I'm new to the hobby too and I found out that it's not all about price. My favorite stick so far is a $3.85 Maduro Padron. I've had $30 Gurkha Titans and $25 sticks that don't compare IMO. Perdomo is a great cheap brand too. Get samplers first and just start trying out sticks man. And take everyone else's advice, don't get a small humidor and think "this will do for now". Just get something big, like a 300ct. I started with a 50 and filled it up in two weeks with orders still in the mail, lol!
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forums, I love the Diesel line. The Diesel unlimited is my go to cigar. I bought a box from my rep and he gave me a great price. I would suggest trying some of those too.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I am not a big Baccarat fan, but opinions vary. When I started smoking I enjoyed many cigars that included... 5 Vegas Classic, I later found the 5 Vegas Gold to be very nice milder cigar.. A.Fuentes Dominican /Cameroon line, ( Cuban Corona) is my favorite there... Avo ( more expensive) Dominican/Connecticut is a winner as well. Macanudo- Dominican/ Connecticut. People mock this cigar but, it is the best selling cigar in the United States, Mild and consistant in construction and taste.. I've have long ago moved past this to fuller bodied cigars, but will never turn one down.
    Let's see, Monticristo White, Oliva O, La Aurora Dominican Cameroon, Rocky Patel Connecticut, and R.P Vintage ( any) but go slow with this line because they are a step above in strength from the others I mentioned.
    Pick up things that look interesting because I have found many great cigars by accident and suggestion.

As far as that sweet wheat cigar.. the closest I would think is that A. Fuentes Cuban Corona.. I think you will like that one.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    I am not a big Baccarat fan, but opinions vary. When I started smoking I enjoyed many cigars that included... 5 Vegas Classic, I later found the 5 Vegas Gold to be very nice milder cigar.. A.Fuentes Dominican /Cameroon line, ( Cuban Corona) is my favorite there... Avo ( more expensive) Dominican/Connecticut is a winner as well. Macanudo- Dominican/ Connecticut. People mock this cigar but, it is the best selling cigar in the United States, Mild and consistant in construction and taste.. I've have long ago moved past this to fuller bodied cigars, but will never turn one down.
    Let's see, Monticristo White, Oliva O, La Aurora Dominican Cameroon, Rocky Patel Connecticut, and R.P Vintage ( any) but go slow with this line because they are a step above in strength from the others I mentioned.
    Pick up things that look interesting because I have found many great cigars by accident and suggestion.

As far as that sweet wheat cigar.. the closest I would think is that A. Fuentes Cuban Corona.. I think you will like that one.

Very helpful post thank you and to all of the above. I just got back from 4 of my local tobacco/cigar shops. It was quite a disappointment as they could hardly speak english and carried very little in variety. When I asked for any tips on choosing a cigar and which ones to try, they kept pointing at the Romeo and Juliets and said no further. It was like they wanted me out immediately or something! I went hoping to learn some things but I think my best bet is to just stay here and purchase from this website! (what was I even thinking in the first place..) Still awaiting an email from Tim (the rep you guys recommended).

Can anyone explain what "Dominican, Connecticut" or Dominican, Candela means? When I highlight it it says "country, wrapper". So I'm assuming each cigar uses the same group of wrappers much like the different steels in cutlery? Can anyone elaborate a little on this?

Edit: Oh and I see cigars with pointy tips too, how are these different and from which end do you cut or burn at?

Still looking for sweet/wheaty cigars to try. Will get a sampler soon.

Thanks!

-C
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Pointy end cigars are torpedo "shape" cut the point, light the other end. Pointy on both ends? One end will have exposed filler, light that end. Still unsure..The label will indicate which way to light - Mouth end is closest to the label or, The cello flap (opening) is always on the " light here end. " Did I confuse you even more ?
  • Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    Listen here Cheese Wiz, you have just stumbled through the doors of Hell. These guys give you horrible advice, usually in the form of pointing you toward some sadistically good tasting smoke that you will want to smoke all the time while it is just out of your grasp. Then, after you've been here for a while, and you off handedly mention that you want to try something or mention how good something looks... BAM!!! It shows up in your mailbox with some nifty customs form that says hobby supplies! Just a word to the Wiz; none of these bastards can count, so be careful when negotiating a trade with someone, 6 sometimes apparently comes right after 14. Don't be caught off guard. Never expect more, but always be prepared for it. NEVER BEG, we just got done dealing with one guy who did that.

All joking aside, I've been here for four months and rave really looked around at a few other sites, just to always come back 'home'. If home is where you feel comfortable, this is it for me. Welcome 'home' brother!
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. You might want to just buy up a few samplers and join the cigar of the month club, that will keep you busy for a while. I started by buying the Best of 2010 samplers, full, med and mild. Also give CCom a call or send an e-mail I'm sure they can set you up with something. The more you try, the more you will like and the more humi's you will need.
  • Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    DSWarmack:
    Listen here Cheese Wiz, you have just stumbled through the doors of Hell. These guys give you horrible advice, usually in the form of pointing you toward some sadistically good tasting smoke that you will want to smoke all the time while it is just out of your grasp. Then, after you've been here for a while, and you off handedly mention that you want to try something or mention how good something looks... BAM!!! It shows up in your mailbox with some nifty customs form that says hobby supplies! Just a word to the Wiz; none of these bastards can count, so be careful when negotiating a trade with someone, 6 sometimes apparently comes right after 14. Don't be caught off guard. Never expect more, but always be prepared for it. NEVER BEG, we just got done dealing with one guy who did that.

All joking aside, I've been here for four months and rave really looked around at a few other sites, just to always come back 'home'. If home is where you feel comfortable, this is it for me. Welcome 'home' brother!
    Wiz, this guy is a raving lunatic. You won't be safe anywhere, not even 8,000 miles away...
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Welcome and prepare to have some fun.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options

As a 3 month old newbie...I can confirm most of what was stated above.  I mostly just lurk, but have found a TON of useful information here .  In fact I wish I didn't read most of the posts because they usually end up with me wanting to try a new stick and the credit card coming out soon afterwards.

About a year ago I bought a bunch of Acid cigars for a bachelor party and didn't really buy anything else until recently. I was gifted my first 50 count humidor and I now already have 3 of them full.  It starts with a few 5 packs...then you want to expand and try new things.  Then you decide to put some away to age and then you just get the collecting bug.  I don't know how I got here, but in just a few short months I am already finding myself researching cabinet humidors. WTF???  ;)

Yup...I have been where you are just a short time ago and I can confirm that you are about to slide down a VERY slippery slope!

Enjoy the ride!

• Options
    TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the group...the best way to find out what you like is to try them out. I try to live by the motto "I'll try anything twice." works well with cigars. If you don't like it once, it could just be a dud. Age one and give it another shot. Good luck, enjoy the habit....er...I mean hobby
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    Well, I guess it's all been said. Welcome to the forum and don't hesitate to do what you just did. Ask questions and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Mperconte:

Welcome to Cigar.com
    +1 To all that. Especially filling up your first humidor. I am pretty new to regular cigar smoking and I just started on my second humidor and it's halfway there already too. The daily deals are sweet and so are the weekend blitz's. This weeks especially. I didn't really get the opportunity to start at the bottom and work my way to the top because of RCY and Dustoffdan. With that being said though, you'd recognize a crappy cigar after having a Gurkha or Padilla. My go to cigar is a Padilla Serie '68. Not overly spicy at the beginning and it really develops some great tastes and aromas the longer it burns. Welcome to the forum. There are some great guys in here.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Chiming in a little late here, but I basically agree with what everyone else has said. For something naturally sweet, I'd reccomend any of the Drew Estate Natural line, especially the Irish Hops, Dirt, or Juicy Lucy. Also, the CAO CX2 is a great smoke with alot of natural sweetness.
  • Options
    I smoked cigars about 25 years ago with my dad. Other than when my two children were born, I hadn't smoked one in probably 20 years for some reason.

About two months ago, I got "re-interested" in the hobby and I found Cigar.com and this forum. Been lurking and learning since then.

I bought the Bottomless Cup sampler, which unfortunately seems to have disappeared from the site. I've found several I really like in that group, and a couple that were ok. My next order will be for a humidor, and at least a box of one from that sampler. Maybe a different sampler too, although I'd actually be quite happy with the same sampler again, if it were still available.

Glocksmoker