Home Cigar 101
Options

New to Cigars

2»

Comments

• Options
    CwizCwiz Posts: 12
    Thanks for all your suggestions guys!

I called Tim like you guys recommended but he redirected me to another guy Andy Dzikoski who "is trying to make a name for himself on the forums".

Well I hope this post will contribute to his helpfulness that he has provided to me. He gave me a variety of options to make a sampler out of and even gave me a humidor for a dirt cheap price. ..I got a 50 count, don't hurt me guys Smile [:)].. Andy, the already busy man he is, kept in contact with me and replied to emails incredibly fast.

Here are the suggestions that he gave me.
    • 5 Vegas gold
    • Gurkha park Ave
    • Rocky Patel connecticut
    • Professor sila
    • Perdomo Champange
    • Gurkha beauty
    • Reposado habano
    • Gran habano vintage 2002
    • La herencia cubana
    • 5 vegas Serie A

This is the humidor that I ended up getting.

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=M-SPHUM01-BU

I watched a few videos on how to season a humidor and was curious how should I gauge the humidity without a gauge? After I wipe down the humidor and moisten the humidifier, how should I know when it is ready to hold cigars? Does humidor solution vs. distilled water really make a big difference?

Thanks a bunch everyone!

-Cwiz

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Please don't wipe down the humi - every time you do, a kitten is drowned Sad [:(] Better to just put a shallow dish of water in the humi, close it, and wait 3-5 days.

A hygrometer is required to know when the humi is ready - no way around it; you'll need it when you put the cigars in as well, to know when to recharge the beads/puck. Also, distilled is required for beads, but if you're going with the puck, it requires the 50/50 solution - if you try the solution in the beads, it'll ruin them.
  • Options
    CwizCwiz Posts: 12
    xmacro:
    Please don't wipe down the humi - every time you do, a kitten is drowned Sad [:(] Better to just put a shallow dish of water in the humi, close it, and wait 3-5 days.

A hygrometer is required to know when the humi is ready - no way around it; you'll need it when you put the cigars in as well, to know when to recharge the beads/puck. Also, distilled is required for beads, but if you're going with the puck, it requires the 50/50 solution - if you try the solution in the beads, it'll ruin them.

Ah alright. Thank you. I bought a hygrometer and 50/50 solution. The fun is about to begin!