Home Cigar 101

Looking for a new lighter

lonewolf2011lonewolf2011 Posts: 503
I haven't had much luck with lighters lately. The best one so far was a no name chienese torch w/ cutter but it finally died too. I don't mind paying more for quality but would like some advice on what is working (or not) from everyone else. Thanks!

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Xikar - they have a lifetime warranty and no-questions-asked replacement policy.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    lonewolf2011:
    I haven't had much luck with lighters lately. The best one so far was a no name chienese torch w/ cutter but it finally died too. I don't mind paying more for quality but would like some advice on what is working (or not) from everyone else. Thanks!
    Having gone through 2 higher end expensive torchs my suggestion would be to stick with a cheap no name, it'll do just as good a job if not better IMO...To me it seems these torches are doomed to failure self induced or not and shipping and getting a replacement for me is just not worth the hassle...
  • lonewolf2011lonewolf2011 Posts: 503
    Thats what I was afraid of, thanks for the comment!
  • lonewolf2011lonewolf2011 Posts: 503
    Any specific model more reliable over another?
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    So I have 2 recomendations.

1. Ronson Jetlite

if you have a walmart nearby go there and they shoulkd be in the 5-10 range and you can beat the to hell and back with any fuel you want. If you don't have a walmart nearby check online, i'm sure you can find some. . . . I got two shipped to me for under $20 and their real heavy, metal, adjustable single torch and reliable as heck. When they cut out, you can toss em and not feel too bad about it.

2. The Colibri Firebird.

I have alot of love for Colibris. Their Firebird model works really well (super crisp and well made adjustable single torch) and their customer service rivals Ccoms if you can beleive it. I had one from about 5 years ago, didn't take care of it, and never even registered it with their service dept. But when it died last year, I wanted to get it fixed because I liked it so much. So I sent it back to them to fix it, and they just sent me a new one for no charge beyond the shipping back and forth that I had already paid for. Couldn't beleive it.

So Ronsons are cheap and work well, and Colibris have some medium pricved very high wality lighters from an awesome company. Thats my two cents.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Boyd I don't mean to be a jerk here but you are dead wrong about Colibri. I'm glad you've had good luck with them but they are a horrendous company. First off they are new. Colibri went out of business and someone else bought the name and started making them again, this happened roughly a year ago. Their "warranty" is a joke. I know 2 cigar shops that will not carry them because they deny warranty claims constantly. Also a lot of lighters from the old Colibri company are out there for sale still. The new Colibri WILL NOT honor any kind of warranty on those. If you buy them they have no warranty unless the retailer will give you one.

I know a lot of people on here have all kinds good luck stories with different brands. However, I will never buy any cigar accessory not made by Xikar. I've had issues with some of their products but I send it in and in less than 7 days every time I have a brand new one. No garbage about trying to repair it or people looking at it like I've heard with other companies that have a lifetime warranty. As soon as they get it they turn around and send a brand new one. I've never heard anyone who had an issue with the Xikar warranty. To me thats what matters, lighter are going to break, wear out whatever. I paid $30 for my Xikar light 5 years ago and although I've had to send it back 4 times I still have it and haven't had to buy another.

As for a particular model go play with them and see what you like. I purchased the plunge originally but had to send it back 3 times so Xikar switched it out for the Genesis. I haven't had any issues with it but from the beginning it only works turned all the way up so it uses a lot of fuel. So I wouldn't recommend the plunge at all and I'd play with a genesis before you buy to see if its like mine or not. I know a bunch of people who have the old executive its the cheapest one but everyone I know that has it loves it.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Diamondog:
    lonewolf2011:
    Having gone through 2 higher end expensive torchs my suggestion would be to stick with a cheap no name, it'll do just as good a job if not better IMO...To me it seems these torches are doomed to failure self induced or not and shipping and getting a replacement for me is just not worth the hassle...

Yeah, I've given up on the brand names as well. I'm using a no-name cheapie I got for $7 on eBay - from Hong Kong I think - that works really well and doubles as a table lighter. If it craps out on me I'll just go buy another one. For $7 how can I lose?

Marty

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i am a self proclaimed xikar ****. I love my xikar executive lighter. i have had it for 5 years now. it only recently has fallen out of favor because i like the Bugatti b1's fuel tank better. it lasts a bit longer. i am also thinking of buying another xikar. im just not sure what one.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Two words--Vector Thundra (table lighter) Its a monster and it works over and over...
    madurofan:
    Boyd I don't mean to be a jerk here but you are dead wrong about Colibri. I'm glad you've had good luck with them but they are a horrendous company. First off they are new. Colibri went out of business and someone else bought the name and started making them again, this happened roughly a year ago. Their "warranty" is a joke. I know 2 cigar shops that will not carry them because they deny warranty claims constantly. Also a lot of lighters from the old Colibri company are out there for sale still. The new Colibri WILL NOT honor any kind of warranty on those. If you buy them they have no warranty unless the retailer will give you one.

I know a lot of people on here have all kinds good luck stories with different brands. However, I will never buy any cigar accessory not made by Xikar. I've had issues with some of their products but I send it in and in less than 7 days every time I have a brand new one. No garbage about trying to repair it or people looking at it like I've heard with other companies that have a lifetime warranty. As soon as they get it they turn around and send a brand new one. I've never heard anyone who had an issue with the Xikar warranty. To me thats what matters, lighter are going to break, wear out whatever. I paid $30 for my Xikar light 5 years ago and although I've had to send it back 4 times I still have it and haven't had to buy another.

As for a particular model go play with them and see what you like. I purchased the plunge originally but had to send it back 3 times so Xikar switched it out for the Genesis. I haven't had any issues with it but from the beginning it only works turned all the way up so it uses a lot of fuel. So I wouldn't recommend the plunge at all and I'd play with a genesis before you buy to see if its like mine or not. I know a bunch of people who have the old executive its the cheapest one but everyone I know that has it loves it.

Maddie, No Offense taken Brother, but I am shocked that Colibri has a bad rap. I guess its possible that my one time experience was one of the good luck stories you mentioned. I thought it was the norm, because it went so smoothly on an older cheap product that was never even registered with them let alone under warranty. I stand by my experience as being awesome, and I'll always feel good about buying their products personally, but that stinks that others haven't fared so well, and totally understandable that it would leave a sour taste in people's mouthes.

I don't know, maybe I caught them on a good day, or maybe the fact that I called in before shipping and talked to someone first, and then included a letter explaining that it was out of warranty, was never registered, and my fault that it didn't work, but to please fix it and send me the bill, because I liked the product too dang much to throw it away.

Whatever it was, from my experience they treated me wonderfully, but I can't speak to others.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Hawk55:
    Two words--Vector Thundra (table lighter) Its a monster and it works over and over...
    This too. I've abused the hell out of mine and leave it outside all the time (out of the rain/on the covered porch). A year later, still lights on the first click, every time
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hawk55:
    x2 no problem and when i had a problem was told to bleed off and fill up and worked great also some say only fill 3/4 full but over a year and a half still going + I think they have a warranty too, just bought a new one this week caught on sale with free ship for 19.99 , you can almost braze with it or kill crawly bugs and ants when bored,lol
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I am a huge Xikar fan, and I have two of their lighters. BUT.....I have a Colibri something (I believe its called the plunge) that I paid $8 for two and a half years ago. It is still going strong, I only use a different lighter if the Colibri is out of fluid and I don't feel like waiting to fill it again before I light my cigar. It never sputters, always has a crisp flame, and has never given me any issues whatsoever. A buddy of mine bought a different Colibri (same price) at the same time, and his is still going strong as well, never had any issues with it.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Have had excellent luck with both my Xikar Trezo and my Lotus Laser. Both are excellent lighters. The Trezo is a triple flame which will run you about $100. The Laser is a single flame torch which will set you back anywhere from about $10-$20 if you shop around online.

• BlueRingsBlueRings Posts: 367
    Xikar Axia is my recommendation.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Xikar EX is the best lighter I've ever owned. Savinelli IM Double Corona is the one lighter I want, but don't want to plop down the cash for. S.T. Dupont Ligne 2 is the one lighter I don't even have the cash to plop down for, even if I wanted to.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like my Xikar Executive. It has been reliable and the one I've had the longest. I also love the Xikar cutter I have.

I have not had good luck with anything Colibri. The lighter I had, I don't remember the model, would not hold a refill. I would get one or two lights out of it and it needed to be refilled.

I've had three different Colibri cutters and they all seem to mash the cigar rather than cut it. You pay a little more for Xikar, but the lifetime guarantee and the reliability are worth it.

boydmcgowan:
    Maddie, No Offense taken Brother, but I am shocked that Colibri has a bad rap. I guess its possible that my one time experience was one of the good luck stories you mentioned. I thought it was the norm, because it went so smoothly on an older cheap product that was never even registered with them let alone under warranty. I stand by my experience as being awesome, and I'll always feel good about buying their products personally, but that stinks that others haven't fared so well, and totally understandable that it would leave a sour taste in people's mouthes.

I don't know, maybe I caught them on a good day, or maybe the fact that I called in before shipping and talked to someone first, and then included a letter explaining that it was out of warranty, was never registered, and my fault that it didn't work, but to please fix it and send me the bill, because I liked the product too dang much to throw it away.

Whatever it was, from my experience they treated me wonderfully, but I can't speak to others.
    Glad you didn't take any offense and personal experience always outweighs someone's opinion on the internet, IMHO. If you've had good luck with them thats all that matters. I would be curious to know if your return happened before or after the new ownership.

The old owners had a lot of quality issues right at the end but I used to hear good stuff about their customer service. The new owners apparently have better quality control but their customer service is lacking.

I have a Colibri lighter I bought for next to nothing when they "went out of business" that has issues, I might contact colibri as an experiment.
  • leonardleonard Posts: 359
    Ronson Jet light. $3 at Wal Mart. Never had a problem yet and I have used them for years.
  • amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    jj20030:
    Hawk55:
    x2 no problem and when i had a problem was told to bleed off and fill up and worked great also some say only fill 3/4 full but over a year and a half still going + I think they have a warranty too, just bought a new one this week caught on sale with free ship for 19.99 , you can almost braze with it or kill crawly bugs and ants when bored,lol
    X3, keep one of these in my golf bag, works great. At home in the man cave I have the Vector DEUX, gives you the best of both worlds torch and soft flame. For travel Xikar Element, which I have had replaced through Xikar once with no issues. For fuel I've been using Vector Quintuplus.

I like the looks of that Xikar EX, might have to get one.
  • MESKCMESKC Posts: 213 ✭✭
    I like my Xikar and Nibo lighters. The one I like the most for around the house is the cheap pen torch lighter. The come straight from Hong Kong and cost $6.41 with free shipping. This can be switched between a torch and a soft flame. I have bought three and have given two away. This thing is great. It has a large tank and can be set for a small flame to a 3" flame.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    boydmcgowan:
    madurofan:

I've had a Colibri and I'm pissed I lost it... was the best lighter I've had for a good year or so... Since I've gotten a single flame Xikar and a Bugatti lighter... Both work great, and my knock around lighter (Take around to Baseball games and such) is a Rocky Patel branded single flame.
    Ole Lassie, how's the miller lite treating ya man?
  • JimmyCJimmyC Posts: 38
    leonard:
    Ronson Jet light. $3 at Wal Mart. Never had a problem yet and I have used them for years.
    Same here.. great lil workhorse of a torch lighter.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    I'm fine... It's my liver that's pissed
    madurofan:
    boydmcgowan:

Glad you didn't take any offense and personal experience always outweighs someone's opinion on the internet, IMHO. If you've had good luck with them thats all that matters. I would be curious to know if your return happened before or after the new ownership.

The old owners had a lot of quality issues right at the end but I used to hear good stuff about their customer service. The new owners apparently have better quality control but their customer service is lacking.

I have a Colibri lighter I bought for next to nothing when they "went out of business" that has issues, I might contact colibri as an experiment.
    been away from the forums for a few days . . .

So I would assume its with the new ownership, because I'm pretty sure I dealt with them this year, in February maybe? So if your having a hard time with a lighter and want to get it fixed just give them a ring and ask what you can do. Like I said though I really might have caught them on a good day, because the person on the phone told me, that since it was out of warranty, to mail them the lighter with instructions to fix it and a check for return postage (~$10) and they'd send my old lighter back with a bill for the repairs. If it was unfixable they'd send me a coupon for a discount on a new lighter. Thats what I was expecting.

What I got in the mail was a new lighter and no bill, but they chashed my check to cover return postage. I don't think they do that everyday, but who knows what they do normally. They also might have appreciated the fact that I fessed up to it probably being my fault that it didn't work, and that it was out of warranty but I liked the dang thing so much I thought it was worth it to fix.

The new one works much better than my older one did too. Very clean and crips action and a sharp flame, compared to my ronsons, and even the old colibri. I've never used a Xikar, so I can't compare to that, but the new colibri firebirds are a top notch lighter none the less.
    JimmyC:
    leonard:
    Same here.. great lil workhorse of a torch lighter.
    tough to argue with ronsons. I have 2.
    Lasabar:
    madurofan:
    I'm fine... It's my liver that's pissed
    My liver contacted its congressman a long time ago.
  • For the cheap in your pocket, another recommendation for the Ronson JetLite and a key ring punch. For other times the Bugatti B1. My only complaint about the B1 is only get 7 or 8 cigars out of a fill up and no fuel level window. The B1 is usually in a deal here at CCOM for dirt cheap.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I love my MOW Lotus lighter. It has to be refilled every 10 cigars or so but it does a great job. I have a Xikar Executive and it's given me nothing but issues from day 1. The Ronson Jetlite is a solid lighter as stated by other BORK's as well. It's my back up lighter