Home General Discussion
Options

THE NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD

Comments

• Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    Yeah, I think something changed on the back end.  Remember when we had that flood of posts that we're awaiting moderator all posted at once?  I think name changes may require mod intervention, when they get around to it.
    It took a week or two before it changed for me.....So be patience. 
  • Options
    TrishTrish Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    deadman said:
    deadman said:
    Next contest- How long til she fills that wineador  :D
    I am open to suggestions and recommendations. I like a nice smooth medium/ lighter body to envoy with a cold one what would you recommend? 
    Avo XO or Oliva G
    Sweet, i will add to the roster
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    deadman said:
    I am open to suggestions and recommendations. I like a nice smooth medium/ lighter body to envoy with a cold one what would you recommend? 
    Ave Maria Immaculata and Arturo Fuente Chateau should be on your list. 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally got a handle on here...

Short intro. Married with  grown kids. When home im either fixing,mowing,drinking and smoking. Or fixing to drink,mow and smoke.

my life, in a nutshell.  Welcome.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, Nitro
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Welcome Nitro
  • Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum @Nitronostril

• Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey all, this will serve as my late introduction since I have already stumbled upon some threads.  I'm Trish (yes hopefully my inmate number will vanish soon) from the Phoenix area.  Fairly new to the scene but gravitate towards medium bodied sticks so far. I'm not a huge commenter but enjoy the knowledge that I pick up along the way so you will more than likely see me lurking around lol! Feel free to call me on my ish or throw information my way
    Awesome Trish. Always great to get some SOTL’s on here. Be careful who you give your addy to. There’s some unscrupulous characters here;)
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sketch6995 did that.  It even shows my "changed name" on my end.. although I only claim to be master of sarcasm and not profiles. Hehehe I can roll with the punches sanity can be overrated at times
    Don’t know if this is a factor but there’s a few things on here that won’t work on an iPhone you need to be on a iPad , laptop or pc. 
  • Options
    Rhamlin said:
    Hey all, this will serve as my late introduction since I have already stumbled upon some threads.  I'm Trish (yes hopefully my inmate number will vanish soon) from the Phoenix area.  Fairly new to the scene but gravitate towards medium bodied sticks so far. I'm not a huge commenter but enjoy the knowledge that I pick up along the way so you will more than likely see me lurking around lol! Feel free to call me on my ish or throw information my way
    Awesome Trish. Always great to get some SOTL’s on here. Be careful who you give your addy to. There’s some unscrupulous characters here;)
    Thank you,  thank you.  Well with that said we could double that SOTL as some Silence Of The Lamb business as I have seen these people you speak of, hahaha kidding... 
    I'm a little smarter than the average bear (these guys think I live in a small metal numbered box) ;-)
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    deadman said:
    deadman said:
    Avo XO or Oliva G
    Sweet, i will add to the roster
    Flor de las Antillas forgot about that one
  • Options
    GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^ Oh, I like her style  ;)
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Trish got her name!  Excellent 

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    @Trish got her name!  Excellent 
    Finally right lol.  Not that I was super creative when creating the profile name but you know lmao
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bump for da newbies
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello. I'm Calvin, this is my first post. I saw that this is where you're supposed to introduce yourself. I'm 25, been smoking cigars for 20 months now. I'm 20 months sober, and I wanted something to use as a placebo for drinking. I must say that I love it, and there's something unexplainably soothing about relaxing with a cigar that has nothing to do with the nicotine. I smoke a lot, and I prefer medium-full to full bodied cigars. My budget is SERIOUSLY limited, and I want to get involved in this forum and get some recommendations and tips to advance my cigar repertoire. When I say that my budget is limited, just to put it in perspective, I "splurged" on some Diesel's recently for 3$ a stick in the miscollections section. (They're in my coolerdor since arriving earlier today, and I'm excited to try them next week). I'm aware that I'm going to be limited by my budget but I'm looking for advice from those of you who used to live in this type of way. Just a few questions:
    How does this forum work?
    What topics should I be reading about?
    How do people advance their knowledge in here?
    Where do I start? 
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Welcome. Read the stickies, ask questions/ or search function, google. 

Save your money back. It may be hard if you smoke a lot but worth it.
  • Options
    AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome 
  • Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum Calvin

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    What topics should I be reading about?

Coolidors, tasting, humidification and what ever interests you.
    https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/562842/almost-all-inclusive-guide-to-cigar-etiquette-kuzi-style/

https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/379773/102-things-newbs-should-know-orig-post-updated/

https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/10439/developing-your-palate

https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/17975/etiquette-trades-passes-bombs-etc/

Read, don't believe any of it and smoke the cigars that look interesting and decide what you like.

Where do I start? 

You already did.

Mostly, just enjoy what you like and go from there.
    There is no "rules" to the way you want to enjoy cigars.
    Those "rules" are for arrogant snobs. 
    There are suggestions to help you get more enjoyment out of your cigars, but if you want to bite the end off your cigar and smoke it, have at it, although a cutter makes it a lot nicer to smoke. LOL!

Oh yeah, almost forgot.
    Cameroons!

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    0patience said:

Read, don't believe any of it and smoke the cigars that look interesting and decide what you like.

Where do I start? 

You already did.

Mostly, just enjoy what you like and go from there.
    There is no "rules" to the way you want to enjoy cigars.
    Those "rules" are for arrogant snobs. 
    There are suggestions to help you get more enjoyment out of your cigars, 

True, but I was more asking about the forum. I commented on something trying to guess a picture and someone passive aggressively told me to eff off the way your girlfriend tells you to take the trash out by saying it smells funny in the kitchen. I don't really know the rules of the forum or how any of this works. I feel like a rookie cuban baseball player with the unwritten rules. Or should I say like an american cigar smoker in cuba. 
  • Options
    Oh!
    Most contests and that sort usually have their rules of the contest, but the standard is X amount of posts and on good trader list.

The Newbie trade thread is pretty much set up for getting a person on the good trader list. 
    Ask for a sponsor and work out the trade details and you ship first. 
    When they receive their end, they ship.
    If all works out properly, they announce you on the good trader list.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Rules are usually on the first page. Almost all will say to be on the good traders list. 
    To get on there go to the newb trade thread (search). Post you want to do a trade. 

Keep in mind most of the contest here if you win you are up next to carry on the contest and mail out a prize to the winner. 
  • Options
    I see. Makes sense. Ok that's good to know. I don't think I want to trade just yet then as I have nothing of appreciable quality, I'll just stay away from those topics. 
  • Options
    FYI Here is the link to the Good traders list.
    https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/136/good-traders-and-stand-up-folks/

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    0patience said:
    I see. Makes sense. Ok that's good to know. I don't think I want to trade just yet then as I have nothing of appreciable quality, I'll just stay away from those topics. 
    PM me your address and I'll send out one of our newsletters.
     :o 

:D Word on the street is your printer cartridge is low.