• Options
    AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, James.
  • Options
    Alucore56Alucore56 Posts: 27
    thanks for all the welcomes....makes me feel well welcome B)
  • Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    Get out!  And stay out!!!

Not really, just wanted to balance out the universe.
    I know that's how I look at you, The Great Balancer of the Universe in a purple one piece bowling outfit with that "Come hither smile" and devilish beard....... 
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ForMud said:
    peter4jc said:
    Get out!  And stay out!!!

Not really, just wanted to balance out the universe.
    I know that's how I look at you, The Great Balancer of the Universe in a purple one piece bowling outfit with that "Come hither smile" and devilish beard....... 
    if you think that’s something then you should have seen Peter in his romper 
  • Options
    TheBeardedOne864TheBeardedOne864 Posts: 180 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys i just wanted to introduce myself im nathan.  I have been smoking for about a month now. i was given a Cigar at a company golf tournament and really enjoyed it. Since then i have be trying as many different cigars as possible to find the style i really like.  i have tried a few baccarats and enjoyed it.  i have also had a few house cigars from a few different B & Ms and enjoyed some of those as well. one i really liked was called a Carolina Cubano from the Tinderbox in Charlotte. From what i was told it is their mild house cigar that is made for them by General and made in Honduras. Any suggestions on what i should try is greatly appreciated.  I have already learned alot from reading old post on here and i look forward to learning more from everyone. 
  • Options
    Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forums, Nathan. 

The best thing you can do right now is try everything possible and buy a large humidor because you'll need it. I bought a 50 count when I first started and filled it within a couple of weeks. You should check out some of the samplers, and check out the reviews on this forum.
  • Options
    TrishTrish Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    Any suggestions on what i should try is greatly appreciated.  I have already learned alot from reading old post on here and i look forward to learning more from everyone. 
    Cameroons. 
    Yeah, no one saw that coming, I know.
    I didn't know you liked cameroons... huh who woulda thunk it...

Welcome Beardedone
  • Options
    Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    Any suggestions on what i should try is greatly appreciated.  I have already learned alot from reading old post on here and i look forward to learning more from everyone. 
    Cameroons. 

Totally agree. La Perla Habana Black Pearl - Morado... mmm mm mm 
  • Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @TheBeardedOne864 get a book and start logging what you have tried otherwise you won’t remember all that you liked or disliked. Either go the large humidor route or get a cooler ( see threads on this forum). Lastly once you been here for a bit there is a Newb thread directed towards @0patience  that will be of interest to you... 
    Welcome to the forum Nathan 

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome i will be looking at the cameroons tomorrow and plan to order some to try thanks for the suggestion 0patience.  I had planned on putting a coolerdor together this weekend as the 40 count humidor my brother in law gave me will be well past capacity with all the orders i have placed in the past week.. the Log book is a great idea thanks NorCalR1 for the suggestion.
  • Options
    Welcome to the madness....Being very new to all this too ( Feb of this year ) My best advice is try a lot of different kinds of...Strength, wrapper and size sticks. You'll soon find what you like. 
    When picking out which ones you might want to try, pay little attention to how they're described taste wise. Or you'll find it very frustrating trying to match your taste to theirs.
    Same goes for the rating numbers, it's all subject to someone elses taste.
    Don't sweat it if you do buy some you don't like the taste of, put them in the bottom of your cooler and try them again down the road.

• Options
    Welcome Nathan 
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Hello and welcome to the cigar world @TheBeardedOne864 And welcome to the forum. There are many types of cigar smokers, almost as many as there are types of cigars. You can't follow anyone elses path. It's impossible, and frustrating if you try. I have read your posts so far and here's a few thing off the top of my head. 

1. Ask other smokers which brands perform well accross the board. (Join in on our Vherf sessions. A great way to ask us know-it-alls a thing or two. And we have fun).
    2. Don't buy larger quantities blind (boxes/bundles) (Without trying at least one, or even better, two or three).
    3. Don't ever be embarrassed by what you think you should already know at any point along your way.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone,  I do have a question when it comes to building my coolerdor. Do y’all recommend beads or boveda? Also  Bob forgive me but what does Vherf stand for.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Bovedas! So easy!

Vherf:
    It stands for Virtual Herf. Virtual in that we gather on Google Hangouts and use their video conferencing system to get together in real time and smoke cigars and shoot the breeze. Herf is a slang term for two or more people getteing together to smoke cigars. Here is a link to the Vherf thread where you can find a link in the very first post on the very first page to join in. Friday nights are usually a good night :)

https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/713386/vherf/p1

Here is the link

You may need to join google hangouts app or already have it installed on your computer or phone. 

If anybody's planning to get on tonight,.... Give the new guy a heads up. @TheBeardedOne864 (Nathan)
  • Options
    MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum Nathan! Awesome to see you already going straight for a coolerdor. I think my first 50-count lasted me about a month lol.

In response to your question about whether to use beads or boveda, I strongly recommend boveda. They are virtually maintenance free for months at a time and can sit anywhere without harming your smokes. Best part is, when they start running low, you can simply recharge them with distilled water and some paper towels. 
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys i just wanted to introduce myself im nathan.  I have been smoking for about a month now. i was given a Cigar at a company golf tournament and really enjoyed it. Since then i have be trying as many different cigars as possible to find the style i really like.  i have tried a few baccarats and enjoyed it.  i have also had a few house cigars from a few different B & Ms and enjoyed some of those as well. one i really liked was called a Carolina Cubano from the Tinderbox in Charlotte. From what i was told it is their mild house cigar that is made for them by General and made in Honduras. Any suggestions on what i should try is greatly appreciated.  I have already learned alot from reading old post on here and i look forward to learning more from everyone. 
    Welcome. I try to avoid Charlotte. Parking spaces do not accommodate my truck, but there is a nice AJ Fernández lounge up in Salisbury. It’s called The Perfect Smoke. You should check it out sometime. 
  • Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi! You're in for a treat if you stick around. I agree with what everyone has said but I would just emphasize the part about not buying boxes. I did that at first and I have about 50 cigars that I'm not all that excited about lighting up. I'd stick with 5 packs unless you find a cigar that you really like that went on sale. The sales fluctuate so don't go nuts if something is only free shipping. Sometimes cigars can be had for 50-75% off on auction sites or the daily deals that pop up. I've been greatly surprised at some of the stuff that I was not expecting to like that was great, and some stuff I was expecting to be great that was just alright. I don't know of anyone on this forum, or anywhere for that matter, who only smokes one kind of cigar. Try out various stuff, keep a log like @NorCalR1 said, or if you're lazy like me, save the bands of what you want to buy again in a bag. I've learned a TON since joining this forum, enjoy your time here. 
  • Options
    BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Howdy, folks. I finally found this thread after a few hours. Not too bad, I think.

I'm rather new to the Cigar.com site, been buying from here since April or May this year. I decided the forum is a great place to reach out and possibly learn a bit more, perhaps just pass the time when I'm not working.

I'm not keen on sharing personal information online, but if you don't mind the occasional vaguenesses, we'll get off to a good start once it's understood that it is nothing personal. I'm a combat veteran with over a decade served, working a normal job and keeping pace with what I believe to be a sensible existence. I like cigars, have for more than twenty years since I worked in nightclubs and would visit the local brick and mortar to pick up some Rocky Patels or Romeo maduro's. My name is Brian, I like medium to full bodied sticks and even in my 40's I can't seem to stop smoking some days because I work hard and I love to indulge. I quit smoking cigarettes way back in the year 2000, hard to believe that was nearly twenty years ago.

I use Facebook perhaps twice per year to keep in touch with family and old acquaintances. I do not like "smart phones" since a phone should make calls and be put away when not needed and the traditional method of conversing ought to be practiced.

This looks like a friendly place, I do believe I will hang up my hat and take a seat, maybe look for a Rocky Patel to toast.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome new people. 
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Brian

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum Brian
    Thank you for your service

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, Brian!
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Welcome, Brian
  • Options
    Welcome 
  • Options
    Welcome to the form!!!

I agree 100% with you on the facebook and phone thing.